As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft 2] THIS THREAD IS DEAD!

1939495969799»

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Cmooooon Scarlett... Crush this nerd :<

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I hate Gretorp's and Frodan's casting more than I hate medivac speed boost.

like, I can't stand them

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    JUSTICE PREVAILS

Edit: Hella long and tense game *phew*

Panda4You on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    their casting isn't great but I've come to really like both of them after disliking them for a while (after originally liking gretorp a lot a lot back when he was just an educational streamer)

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    ok

seriously

that FUCKING sound guy

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    that FUCKING production guy

• Options
    Is the stream dark for y'all too?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Nope

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Is the stream dark for y'all too?
    A bit, yeah

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Eeeeeh...?

Buuuut? What in the fuck? Those last 7-8 mins looked like a dead set Alive win :O

Panda4You on
  • Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    wowow

• Options
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Eeeeeh...?

Buuuut? What in the fuck? Those last 7-8 mins looked like a dead set Alive win :O

It was scarlet taking out Alive's bottom base, where ALL his scvs where.

Observer missed it but he had basically no bank or income after that.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Gotta give it to Scarlett's tenacity: EVERYTHING past those ~8 fully charged infestors going down the drain, for no gain whatsoever, pointed towards Alive taking that game... Up until that goddamn megafungal'd engagement towards the end, really didn't expect such a turnaround. :rotate:
    Observer missed it but he had basically no bank or income after that.
    Ah, that explains it. He had mad bank up until the end and I was wondering why it totally dried up after his unfortunate large engagement.

Edit2: Pretty mad creepspread...

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Go Scarlett!

North America's hope!

Steam profile
  • Options
    USA!

USA!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Scarlett v Grubby at Blizzcon kgo.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    I haven't seen these guys cast in like, almost 2 years?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Weird, they're not playing the LAN version?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    There isn't a LAN version.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Euphemon wrote: »
    There isn't a LAN version.

Could've sworn the LAN version was brought up just this week at a previous tourney, possibly a WCS.

The special Blizz-only LAN verison.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I now want to see all 3 wcs go to old school terrans (or grubby)

gogo taeja/polt

gogo mma (at least please beat mc. I really don't like mc. not personally just... ro4 is a fine place for him to fall out. I don't want to see him win)

edit - OOOOOOOO OR how about one race takes each. didn't that happen last season? it was soulkey/mvp/hero?

the best part is grubby can win and either scarlett or jaedong can win, both of which are awesome.

so I'm gonna go with that. sorry taeja, polt, and mma. but you don't need my help anyway.

Variable on
  • Options
    did the sound just die? get real soft?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    It looked like the one protoss that would win a baserace with a terran there for a while, but with no blink or anything Taeja can just lead around Macsed's army as long as he wants/needs now?

Edit: Huh. Waddayaknow?

Panda4You on
  • Options
    if he kept those vikings alive he could have gotten a draw but unless macsed fucked up he was never gonna win

• Options
    Panda4You wrote: »
    It looked like the one protoss that would win a baserace with a terran there for a while, but with no blink or anything Taeja can just lead around Macsed's army as long as he wants/needs now?

Edit: Huh. Waddayaknow?

MLG had a "draw game" rule about unable to kill lifted buildings.
    I'd imagine WCS also has a similar rule.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    That choke by Taeja T.T If he had played for the draw, he would have gotten it for sure. Instead... GODDAMNIT.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Why do you guys think Asians in general seem to be more skilled than other players? Is it just the practice regiment being super intense?

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Practice regimen combined with the density of amazing players in a small area feeding off each other.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    more the second thing than the first.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Why do you guys think Asians in general seem to be more skilled than other players? Is it just the practice regiment being super intense?

Yes. And it's actually interesting you bring this up now, because there's a huge upset going on in TI3 because half of the top 8 teams are Western and two of the top 3 are guaranteed to be Western (Western teams will probably take 1st and 2nd), whereas last year every Eastern team that entered was top 8 and the top 8 was Eastern teams (of which there were only 7 to begin with) and Na'Vi, who got second.

The Western teams took that year, adapted and practiced really hard and improved, and now the Eastern teams are having to really work for it when they do win and often are losing.

It's really a practice/environment/hard work/mentality/etc thing, and Western Dota as a scene has really embraced that more than Western SC2 has.

• Options
    agree with frozenzen.

- training hard (which falls under 'taking it seriously', which I think more applies to korea+starcraft than any other esport)
    - close proximity (I truly believe nothing can beat being in the same room with the people you train with and having smaller countries literally, directly translates to making this easier. I remember someone talking about sc2 team houses and like, imagine literally during breakfast lunch and dinner you're strategizing. on your off time even if you're not talking about the game, you're talking to people who think about the game 24/7.)
    - we're also getting to the point where established history has influence. koreans have been playing starcraft really fucking well for a long time now. as with the chinese and dota/dota2. that's hard to topple. you see that in pro sports too, success feeds on itself in various ways.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Interesting thoughts. Makes sense to me. I especially agree about the proximity thing, and I can imagine that would be a pretty awesome experience.

I need to pull myself away from gw2 abit and play some sc2 heh. I'm starting to actually feel comfortable and get a very rudimentary sense of timings.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    3clipse wrote: »
    DarkMecha wrote: »

Yes. And it's actually interesting you bring this up now, because there's a huge upset going on in TI3 because half of the top 8 teams are Western and two of the top 3 are guaranteed to be Western (Western teams will probably take 1st and 2nd), whereas last year every Eastern team that entered was top 8 and the top 8 was Eastern teams (of which there were only 7 to begin with) and Na'Vi, who got second.

The Western teams took that year, adapted and practiced really hard and improved, and now the Eastern teams are having to really work for it when they do win and often are losing.

It's really a practice/environment/hard work/mentality/etc thing, and Western Dota as a scene has really embraced that more than Western SC2 has.

See, I disagree. I think more than anything else, it's the competitive environment. Since you brought up DotA2, you are crazy if you think the Western teams are working harder than the Chinese. The Chinese are working goddamn hard. The problem (and the Chinese players have talked about this themselves) is that they get like 1 tournament every couple of months. They can't scrim outside of China due to lag (USE and SEA are both at least 200ms, usually more.) ACE (the KeSPA of Chinese Dota) stops them from joining tournaments under a certain prize pool. So the result is an incredibly insular training environment where they can't easily train against different strats and they don't even have tournaments to play for most of the time. It doesn't help that the best Chinese teams have been in turmoil leading up to TI3, with LGD roster issues and IG in a slump, though Tongfu has been over performing like crazy.

Similarly, compare NA and EU Starcraft. NA has next to no tournaments, whereas EU has way more, and the result is incredibly obvious. There's no motivation to work so goddamn hard when there are barely tournaments, and even if you wanted to, the talent pool just isn't deep and wide enough in NA. Look at how Goswser moved to EU to play, and theognis also brings it up in his farewell blog. And, EU players are catching up to KR players. If you compare 2011 SC when it wasn't unexpected to see only KR in top 8, there are EU players that can compete now. And almost all the big foreign hopes in SC have been from EU as well.

Hard work is not nearly as important as being able to get good practice, have things to practice towards, and actual competition.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    that's a good point euph

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    having things to practise towards is huge and is the reason why region locking for WCS would improve things

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    Awesome title :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    Also in America, its not exactly kosher to just commit your life to video games at age 14. You have to go to school and get into college so you can avoid all the mistakes your father made

• Options
    So I guess I'm officially getting up at 3 am to watch starcraft.

See you all on the other side!

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Dead thread?
    Where's the new one?

ed: also, that baneling nerf can't come soon enough

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png