As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Haswell? More like Has...damnit, I had something for this...

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    After spending ages trying to find a case that wouldn't make me cringe from a home-design standpoint, I just commissioned one of these:

http://www.nickfalzonedesign.com/sangaku.html

Something steel/metal-looking would be fine if I was in an industrial/loft space, but as i'm in more of a conventional home, I need something that looks more natural. Hope this comes out OK.
    the one on the site looks pretty badass

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    I'm really tempted to get this monitor.

I have a 6950. Would I be risking a spiraling cycle of upgrades? I'm certainly OK with turning down some setting on demanding games.

Hard to say, but these charts don't give me a lot of confidence. You're looking at 75% more pixels than 1080p.

How is this for a rationalization:

Right now I have been playing SWTOR which shouldn't be too demanding and I should pick up Minecraft just so I can talk about the one things my nieces/nephews talk about and I even have a backlog of Wii/WiiU games to play including Xenoblade which is apparently a time sink.

That should hold me over until the heat death of the universe let alone until next gen cards come out and we find out more about AMD's Mantle and we learn more about SteamOS.

If all else fails there is CKII and I can hold off getting Rome II until a Steam Sale.

Thus I should go ahead and get the pretty pretty monitor.

Reasonable or too transparent?

ONE OF US
    ONE OF US

Do it.

I know, right. Back when I wrote the OPs this thread was all about not spending money. What's happened to me.

Hey! I don't advocate this thread being all about spending money, but the rest of these elitist malcontents refuse to be satisfied with anything budget-oriented! I've gotta supply the demand...

In all seriousness, though, I think that 1440p monitors are totally worth it. Even if you're not hugely dedicated to running your games all out at that resolution, it's great to have so much extra space to work on stuff in general. If you've got one of the 2GB 6950s, I think you'll probably hit playable framerates between medium and high settings, depending on the game. Yeah, Dirt is traditionally a really strong game for AMD cards, but you'll be running at a slightly less demanding resolution, and I'd bet with less ambitious settings.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Hey! I don't advocate this thread being all about spending money

Says the guy who just bought a 1TB SSD! :D

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular

I have a 6950. Would I be risking a spiraling cycle of upgrades? I'm certainly OK with turning down some setting on demanding games.

Hard to say, but these charts don't give me a lot of confidence. You're looking at 75% more pixels than 1080p.

Right now I have been playing SWTOR which shouldn't be too demanding and I should pick up Minecraft just so I can talk about the one things my nieces/nephews talk about and I even have a backlog of Wii/WiiU games to play including Xenoblade which is apparently a time sink.

That should hold me over until the heat death of the universe let alone until next gen cards come out and we find out more about AMD's Mantle and we learn more about SteamOS.

If all else fails there is CKII and I can hold off getting Rome II until a Steam Sale.

ONE OF US
    ONE OF US

Do it.

I know, right. Back when I wrote the OPs this thread was all about not spending money. What's happened to me.

Hey! I don't advocate this thread being all about spending money, but the rest of these elitist malcontents refuse to be satisfied with anything budget-oriented! I've gotta supply the demand...

In all seriousness, though, I think that 1440p monitors are totally worth it. Even if you're not hugely dedicated to running your games all out at that resolution, it's great to have so much extra space to work on stuff in general. If you've got one of the 2GB 6950s, I think you'll probably hit playable framerates between medium and high settings, depending on the game. Yeah, Dirt is traditionally a really strong game for AMD cards, but you'll be running at a slightly less demanding resolution, and I'd bet with less ambitious settings.

So 1440p is playable on 2GB cards? I was assuming I'd have to save up for a 3/4GB card in order to future proof any high res monitor purchases?

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    After spending ages trying to find a case that wouldn't make me cringe from a home-design standpoint, I just commissioned one of these:

Something steel/metal-looking would be fine if I was in an industrial/loft space, but as i'm in more of a conventional home, I need something that looks more natural. Hope this comes out OK.

@kaliyama How much did that end up costing you?

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular

$1500. It is a lot for sure, but when I am at the point of building a "permanent" furniture collection for my home I can justify it. Which is weird, because this is proportionally more expensive than the geek chic dining/gaming tables, but I am unwilling to get one of those.

fwKS7.png?1
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »

ONE OF US
    ONE OF US

Do it.

So 1440p is playable on 2GB cards? I was assuming I'd have to save up for a 3/4GB card in order to future proof any high res monitor purchases?

Totally fine, yes. 3gb or more is only going to really start coming I to play at triple-screen resolutions, and I've managed those pretty well with just a 2gb card.

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular

$1500. It is a lot for sure, but when I am at the point of building a "permanent" furniture collection for my home I can justify it. Which is weird, because this is proportionally more expensive than the geek chic dining/gaming tables, but I am unwilling to get one of those.

Sweet zombie Jesus! Why not just buy a nice cabinet with some ventilation?

I mean, it's obviously your money, but I hope you're getting a full-on custom wood case for that kind of cash, not a wooden frame built around a case like most of the work on that site.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

GIF-JAWDROP.gif&size=400x1000

I hope it's like, the best piece of furniture ever created. I'll pass and just continue spray painting my cases for fun. :)

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular

I mean, it's obviously your money, but I hope you're getting a full-on custom wood case for that kind of cash, not a wooden frame built around a case like most of the work on that site.

I hear you, but one-off wood working isn't cheap, especially if it is well-made. Do you have sources on wooden cases cheaper?

fwKS7.png?1

I hear you, but one-off wood working isn't cheap, especially if it is well-made. Do you have sources on wooden cases cheaper?

Unfortunately I don't have many sources there, but it's a cool niche we've never explored much here. @Day of the Bear owns at least 2 Caselabs boxes, which basically accounts for the "all aluminum and insanity" demographic, and we've seen people with mini, mid and full towers in all price ranges, but not wooden cases

As for the price of custom work, you're right on. I guess I tend to have a skewed view of pricing with relation to custom woodworking. My dad's big hobby is carpentry (with a focus on custom work with hand tools), so whenever I've needed work done like that I can borrow his tools and expertise, providing I supply the materials and grunt work. Good custom woodwork is a dying art, you have to be both really great and quite expensive to make any kind of living doing it.

I also think you've chosen a pretty good guy for the job, provided you like his style. I'll admit, when I first saw the price tag my reaction was basically: "What? All he did was repurpose a Cosmo S!" but that's really not fair. I like the Japanese-inspired aesthetic overall (though the sliding door on one of the cases doesn't grab me) and the joint work on the wooden framed aluminum case is exquisite. I'm not sure how well the smoked acrylic he uses in a couple of the cases works with the wood, but the woodwork itself is excellent.

Fortunately for me, most of the furniture here in Germany is in a fairly modern style, so a sleek black box doesn't look too out of place. When in doubt, I've hidden cases in well-ventilated cabinets, so there's always that option. Strictly out of curiosity (so please don't feel obligated to answer) do you have any designs/descriptions worked up so far on the case you can/are willing to share? I'm also really interested in the aesthetic of a workspace where custom woodwork like that would really fit in.

Basically, now that my initial "$1500, does it come with a bag of Krugerrands instead of screws?" reaction has passed, I'm really interested in the design you've chosen, how you ended up needing to go custom, and how the process goes for you. I realize it's an imposition, but would you mind keeping us updated on things?

Like @Alecthar, I was initially trying to come up with a nice way to call you crazy, but fuck it. I've spent $1200 on a single record before. I got no room for scoffing at the weird shit people spend their hard earned money on.

Just please show it to us when you get it. Because I want to lay my eyes on a goddamn $1500 custom wooden computer case like you wouldn't believe.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I've set myself a bit of a fun goal. Get into either Ivy/Sandy or Haswell for $300 for proc + mobo + RAM. For at least the proc and mobo, I'm looking at used parts. I think I can do it, with a bit of luck and some effort.

Edit: The money from selling my older parts will help pad that a bit.

Edit again: I could put together a brand new upgrade for $300 for those parts. Time to see if I can do it for under $200.

Mugsley on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Quick question... I'm finally putting my pc in a case...Ordering a Fractal R4 and slapping on a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO. The Fractal comes with two 140 mm Fans and NewEgg says their not available to buy a Third. Anyone have a suggestion for a 3rd? Or is there better 140 mm that I should pick up instead? I'm not expecting any heat related issues, but why not prevent any!

50433.png?1708759015
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Quick question... I'm finally putting my pc in a case...Ordering a Fractal R4 and slapping on a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO. The Fractal comes with two 140 mm Fans and NewEgg says their not available to buy a Third. Anyone have a suggestion for a 3rd? Or is there better 140 mm that I should pick up instead? I'm not expecting any heat related issues, but why not prevent any!

I bought a couple of these for my R3, theyre much quieter than the fans they replaced (Scythe somethings) and I didnt notice an increase in temperature so Im pleased.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I use Scythes in my Antec 300 case. If those R4 fans are quieter, then give them a shot. I'm not a big fan of sleeve bearings, but then again, I've never had a sleeve bearing fan die on me, so I can't really comment on their life expectancy vs. ball bearing fans.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Scythe used to make the best quiet fans, but they are hard to get in the US now. Some of SPCR's recent recommendations:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181028
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608034
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608036

steam_sig.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I got a pair of these to replace the stock Corsair fans on my H100, they seem to move considerably more air quieter than the stocks, and definitely at a much higher pressure.

They are basically perfect, except for the fact that the rubber corners have no internal support, so when you tighten the screws, the rubber vibration isolation inserts just squash out of the way. They're still SUPER quiet, though.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I've never found my H100 to be that loud, expect when it first spins up? Of course, I use my computer with huge over the ear 7.1 cans on, so that might be why.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I use Noctua fans and you cannot hear the fan itself, only the wind noise. Run the fans at medium speed, put the Fractal case under your desk, and you won't even hear the wind noise.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I decided to go with the Stock fans right now, and the single fan on the EVO. Once I OC my 3750K a bit and test out temperatures I'll see what is needed and order replacement fans for the case and a 2nd for the EVO.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I've never found my H100 to be that loud, expect when it first spins up? Of course, I use my computer with huge over the ear 7.1 cans on, so that might be why.

My tower is on my desk, next to the monitor. If I go too far right with my mouse, I run into it.

Now, the stock fans on the H100 aren't loud by any stretch of the word. But I could hear them. Not any more.

Now all I gotta do is replace all three stock case fans, and the two tiny little motherboard fans (Z77 Sabretooth) with something quieter, and my system will be as close to silent as it is possible to be without going full passive cooling.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    212 evo came in, gonna install it tomorrow cause its late

a little apprehensive about removing the old thermal paste but eh it should be fine

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular

a little apprehensive about removing the old thermal paste but eh it should be fine

Q-tip and a (paper) coffee filter with some good ol isopropyl alcohol

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SO I think my HD is dying. Every so often when I reboot my PC it makes a loud clicky noise. When i reboot again without moving it or anything, it goes away. So, is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840&ignorebbr=1 a good idea? 1TB for 69 bucks. I'd love to get an SSD, but I need the large space and can't really do both. Or is there a 2TB somewhere that'd be a better idea for a similar price?

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Mystery email newsletter deal only good 9:00am - 2:59pm PT on 10/2/2013

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE1T0BW 2.5 inch 1TB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-147-251
    $579.99
    With Promo Code: EMCYTZT4535
    Free Shipping

Wow I'm tempted to grab that guy...

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Oh for fuck's sake!

I bought one a week ago...

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular

I feel like those cases should have one of those traditional bamboo deer chasers rigged up in the water loop.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    OK, it's a been a little while, prices have changed and so has my budget. ($~800)

Would you guys look over this? I'm over my budget but I can't decide if I should go for a cheaper keyboard or just look for cheaper parts.

I would appreciate any feedback!

Current specs:

- Windows 7
    - 8gig DDR3 ram
    - AMD Phenom IIx4 955 3.2ghz
    - Radeon 5700 HD 2gig
    - 250g HDD
    - 585W Orion power supply

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($254.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $865.89

I plan on reusing my 250g HDD and 8gigs ram. Also, PCpartpicker is giving my a compatibility warning with the ram? It says it runs at too high of a voltage, so I need to look into that.

F87 on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    If that PSU is a decent brand, you might not need to replace it.

A stock cooler is fine unless you're overclocking.

captaink on
    captaink wrote: »
    If that PSU is a decent brand, you might not need to replace it.

A stock cooler is fine unless you're overclocking.

I think we already went over it, that PSU is basically garbage.

Oh yeah, here: http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8011

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2013
    F87 wrote: »
    OK, it's a been a little while, prices have changed and so has my budget. ($~800)

Would you guys look over this? I'm over my budget but I can't decide if I should go for a cheaper keyboard or just look for cheaper parts.

I would appreciate any feedback!

Current specs:

- Windows 7
    - 8gig DDR3 ram
    - AMD Phenom IIx4 955 3.2ghz
    - Radeon 5700 HD 2gig
    - 250g HDD
    - 585W Orion power supply

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($254.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $865.89

I plan on reusing my 250g HDD and 8gigs ram. Also, PCpartpicker is giving my a compatibility warning with the ram? It says it runs at too high of a voltage, so I need to look into that.

I think you will be OK on RAM, doing some searching it seems like things will work fine.

Get this PSU/CPU combo to lower your cost:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1445681 (i5-4570 & CX 500W)

Are you disappointed with your current keyboard?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    I think it's the dirtiest thing I own, so much horrible nastiness between the keys.

And on that combo, it isn't a 4570k, is that much of a difference?

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    The K just means it's better for overclocking, if i remember correctly. If you aren't planning on doing that, save yourself some money and go for the non-K version.

If your current keyboard is also mechanical, then you should be able to clean it without too much hassle.

It's some crummy, cheap logitech I got about 4 years ago. I'm really interested in this mechanical keyboard stuff now, I think the brown switch would be really nice to have.

As for the CPU, I will go with that combo for sure then. I don't plan on overclocking.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Will I need anything beyond the 2 stock case fans and the stock heatsink if I'm not overclocking my cpu? I'm assuming it's fine, but deep in my gut I feel like if it's so much faster, it MUST be hotter...And also those extra fan sockets on my case are calling me, but I'd like to get it up and running tonight if possible

sig.gif
    edited October 2013
    iRevert wrote: »

Q-tip and a (paper) coffee filter with some good ol isopropyl alcohol
    I'm supposed to put the filter over the q tip right?

I've seen people just folding the filter and holding it but I think having a q tip would make it easier to direct

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Will I need anything beyond the 2 stock case fans and the stock heatsink if I'm not overclocking my cpu? I'm assuming it's fine, but deep in my gut I feel like if it's so much faster, it MUST be hotter...And also those extra fan sockets on my case are calling me, but I'd like to get it up and running tonight if possible

You'll be fine

getting a replacement isn't very expensive, but yeah you should be fine

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    So I kind of... Forgot to check back in the thread, and the message directed at me got lost in a sea of thread updates. Anyway @tsmvengy I could probably reuse one of the optical drives, but I'd have to check on the hard drive. My current rig is a DELL machine... which is why I spoke of a trustworthy place to buy something pre-built, which they are not whatsoever.

I noticed you had an SSD yet told me to reuse my current hard drive, what would I use the SSD for then?

And to edit, here are my specs:
    xoXLAgu.jpg

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
This discussion has been closed.