As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Vimebro Thread (YouTube Can Come Too)

19495969798100»

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Better production quality than most out of Hollywood these days.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    @Halkun, that was badass.

A little bit of constructive criticism?

1) Bendery is right - while I know what a VM and a stack is, that's only because I've done a bit of programming in the past. Introducing programming concepts in ways the lay person can understand should probably be part of this series, so you can build on earlier concepts (and link back to earlier vids for more revenue. ;-) ). It can also be fun to mention why those limitations exist - for instance, I know that there are 16 modules that go 0-F because that is one digit of hex, but callouts like that, and how important multiples of 8 are to programming, go a long way.

2) Watch those long lists. having you name all 16 modules while you are displaying them on screen just seems like a waste of time. It's awesome if you are physically unable to watch the vid, which is a concern, but I think hitting some of the highlights while displaying the full list on screen would work well. Alternatively, the way you did it later - showing the modules and what they did while listing them - worked much better. Still a really long list, but I wasn't able to read ahead. I'd also through little funny in-jokes on screen for a few frames on those, though that obviously adds to post-production time, and the ones you had already were pretty damned good.

3) Your title card should probably show the subject you are covering. "Gears #1" doesn't tell me that it's a Final Fantasy 7 based video, or that it's the first in a series.

That's just picking nits, though. I had no clue that FF7 used VMs like that. It actually explains a lot about how the game was able to be ported to the PC without being recoded that heavily. I cannot, CANNOT wait for the next one.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    I decided to start slow and do a general overview of the system first. I'm going to be devoting an episode or two to each module. My next episode is going to be a two-parter about the PlayStation architecture. First is going to be a 101 on the hardware architecture an then the second is going to be all about Psy-Q. However, because people are saying it should be longer, I might combine them together. After that, In going to jump into the Kernel and do boot sequence, VRAM memory management, save game management, and such that should lead me into menu. One of the more interesting things that the field files are all signed by who did them, also, the source has subfolders with programmers names in them. I was thinking of making a Visio map (with little people and arrows) showing who was in what team and who was responsible for what. You can see why it takes so many people to make a game. I can see, for example, who did what section of the story, and who farmed out work to the contractors and what that work was.

The issue is time. I want to do something once a week, but I'm struggling with putting together my pipeline and finding the right tools. Also, pulling in and creating/finding the artwork that is copyright free is not easy.

You are right about the lists, especially the NES one, I was planning on animating each bank, and bit off more that I could chew. Then inkscape crashed and my computer ate my svg. I toned it back for the menu list. I'll also tweak the thumbnail. The problem is that the Gears title page is really dark and you can's read the thumbnail at all when I just use that. I'll come up with something.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Finally, I can watch Evangellion in the right order
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNcG0QgIZ20

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    Halkun, I hope you understand what I'm talking about when I say that if these things were like Red Letter Media reviews, because I really wouldn't mind listening to you thoroughly deconstructing code for an hour.
    I love the idea that someone can create hours of content about something that I have no fucking clue about, and I'm gonna walk away from the computer feeling genuinely smarter.
    Keep goin man, this has a lot of amazing potential

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if a technical breakdown of a popular videogame from 17 (oh god kill me) years ago would hold my interest but damn if it wasn't fascinating.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if a technical breakdown of a popular videogame from 17 (oh god kill me) years ago would hold my interest but damn if it wasn't fascinating.
    TankHammer wrote: »

jesus christ it really has been 17 years
    what the fuck, time?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I took some of you guy's advice, and updated the thumbnail. I'm also writing the PS1 stuff right now, so I actually a few days ahead.

• Options
    DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

Haha, wow--he had me completely fooled into thinking this was serious for the first minute at least.

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • Options

Haha, wow--he had me completely fooled into thinking this was serious for the first minute at least.

I don't know... I used to be a huge Evangelion nerd, and his "Step 1" where he tells you to "Go watch Cowboy Beebop" is pretty much on the mark.

• Options
    DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »

I don't know... I used to be a huge Evangelion nerd, and his "Step 1" where he tells you to "Go watch Cowboy Beebop" is pretty much on the mark.

Yea, although I'm a bit ignorant of anime beyond the initial "hey, that's a cool story" stuff, it felt like the idea of "watch this other series to understand the context of this show" was a funny, but possibly sage bit of advice. After that, though, the whole "watch episodes 2-24 in one go" was a descent into madness.

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just uploaded a thing. It's light on the tech, but I'll be going deeper in the next couple of weeks. It's a graphical and pipeline improvement from my last video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU45jsGjLK8

First off this is awesome. One little nitpick though, please don't read lists to us. If you do "item"-"explanation","item-explanation" that is cool, but not the straight read. (Obviously just an opinion, others may disagree with me) The info you present is great! I just want more of it.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Yes, players railed against on-disc dlc, but it makes money.

Giving people what they say they want rarely works out well, because it never matches up to the vision in their head. I can't imagine how much Capcom spent on UMvC3, SFxT, or the different iterations of SF4, in a vain attempt to give people what they said they wanted only to have to deal with even more and even louder complaints afterward.

Giving people what they actually want is hard though.

GTA-V is an anomaly of unprecedented profitability, not something by which every other release should be judged.

• Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    you shut up im still hoping for a umvc3 update :cry:

EDIT: All joking aside, Capcom keeps adding all these unnecessary bullshit gimmicks in their fighting games.

XFactor was and will continue to be a completely bullshit system

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    'Capcom Is Almost Dead (they're broke)'

"this video is brought to you by gamersgate.com - download games anytime, anywhere."

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I was a ghoul in a haunted house once. I must've been good cuz even the other "actors" were creeped out by my moans.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My vampire girlfriend and I went to haunted house one Halloween where a group of actors came from shadows in a room and pretended to be vampires on the hunt
    One of them was talking about how good her blood must taste and she smiles at him showing off her fangs where he freaks out and runs off yelling

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    your...vampire girlfriend?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    your...vampire girlfriend?

the ultimate cougar

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I don't know if he meant "Girlfriend dressed up as a vampire" or not, but permanent fangs (everything from incisors that are just slightly exaggerated to ones that are almost inch long) have been a "thing" on the alt scene for the last 20 years now.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    original.jpg

This is not moonth.

iwantanswers3.png
This discussion has been closed.