As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

io9 Argumentation

Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
http://io9.com/the-7-least-subtle-comic-retcons-of-all-time-1427683222

I'll say it: I think Rob Bricken is being lazy with this list. I agree these are many and terrible, but in the history of comics I don't think these are the least subtle retcons, jsut a handful of those that people are most bitching about now. If this list had been done a couple years ago I'm sure it would include Avengers Dis-Assembled and Marvel: The End Kung fu 70s Wonder Woman springs to mind. Clone Saga comes close, but they chickened out of "Peter is the Clone." Death of Superman was always a planned media event, not a retcon. One that really deserves to be on there, if only to show that a retcon (or maybe "abandonment") doesn't have to be bad is Alan Moore's run on Supreme.

Agree/disagree?

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos

• Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    I have trouble really caring about 'articles' like this because they tend to combine the worst things about internet 'journalism': Bad articles in number list form and desperate link bait.

Best thing to do, especially if you think this kind of thing is lazy, is to not give it any attention at all.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm really confused as to what definition of "retcon" we're operating on here, because Crisis on Infinite Earths was not a retcon by any definition I'm aware of. Neither was Brightest Day, or Avengers Disassembled, or Marvel: The End either. A retcon is when you alter existing continuity, not when you change a character's status quo or reboot a universe. Retcons are stuff like Sins Past or Swamp Thing finding out he's not really human or Loeb introducing black helmet Novas.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Argument: fuck gawker media

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Shitty list put out on the internet, news at 11.

In other news around the world, water: still wet.

• Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Yes, very good, we've established it's a shitty list. What would go on a proper list, though? Assuming we take Centipede Damascus' definition as a starting point.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2013
    I don't think a list article from a different website is really enough to justify its own thread.

DJ Eebs on
This discussion has been closed.