As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where are you from? It's time for the PAX Map!

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited April 2014 in PAX East
So due to a variety of no longer relevant reasons, I didn't do this for PAX Aus or PAX Prime 2013.

With no further ado... IT'S TIME FOR PAX EAST!

As @Moe Fwacky and I have done in the past, I have set up a map for us to put our points on and discuss where we are from.

Map! http://www.maptive.com/ver3/paxeast2014

For checking in your area: If people are in the same place very close to one another they sometimes get put on top of one another. Click on your own placemark and see if there is a "1 of X" with an arrow in the bottom right corner of the popup. This means there is more than one placemark on top of each other in that spot. Click the arrow to cycle through them to find people REALLY close to you!

Submissions closed!
To get a placemark added to the map
0) Check the map to make sure you aren't already on there! Many people submit early and then forget about it.. then they submit again closer to the show ;)

1) GO HERE: http://www.latlong.net/ and get the decimal latitude and longitude of where you want your marker to go. You do this by dragging the map around and clicking to move the marker.
Note: There are other places to get your lat/long, this one is just super easy and straightforward.

2) Copy the decimal Lat/Long somewhere, or write it down. Make sure you include any minus signs that may be present... this matters A LOT.

3) please submit this handy dandy google form. I'll be compiling the submissions about once per week into the map itself.

zerzhul on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm currently residing in the Pittsburgh, PA area where we have more working bridges than anywhere in the world and we love fries on our salads and sandwiches. Now it's your turn.

• CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm close enough to Toronto to say I live there, unless you're from around here, then I'm definitely not Toronto. Instead I'm residing in the town with one of the longest running and oldest mayors in the world...who will likely die before she is allowed to retire. (also, submitted my entry, good to see latlong working this year as the app I used to get this info last year is not.)

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Liberty, MO - 64068! 39.246114, -94.419118

Kythos on
    PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada ..... Aka the Rock. As east as you can get without falling in the Ocean!

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
    edited October 2013
    Kythos wrote: »
    Liberty, MO - 64068! 39.246114, -94.419118
    Gotta use the form in the OP, I won't add any markers by post.
    Coan wrote: »
    good to see latlong working this year as the app I used to get this info last year is not.
    Yeah the tool I used/suggested last year shut down about a month before PAX East. The tool I'm suggesting this year isn't as simple, imo, but it's pretty close :)

Also, updated!

zerzhul on
    Missed the form thing first time around ... submitted !!

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    Submitted. I'm local, but I'm driving in and staying in a hotel Thursday through Monday. Excited!!

sig.php?id=222
  • PhoBaoBoaPhoBaoBoa Squishy NYCRegistered User regular
    Hurroo, hurrah, hurray! I have the pleasure of being a new New York City resident. This is the farthest I will have traveled for PAXe, and I guess that isn't saying much. Can't wait!

pPEuM8J.png
    Updated!

Now have 30 pins on the map.

The current furthest person is @PurpleBek at 3,152.34 miles away.

• pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    Submitted!

• RhyagelleRhyagelle Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    submitted!

Rhyagelle on
  • Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    Submitted!

vru37z14gk5j.png

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    I'm afraid if I submit my pin already, I'll jinx myself and end up not getting a badge.

I don't think we're quite there with pax east yet. You may miss out on 3-days but I think you'll have at least 24 hours for saturday badges. I guess I could be proven wrong though.

• VGVideoGalaxyVGVideoGalaxy Northern VirginiaRegistered User regular
    Submitted! Coming from Leesburg, VA via Washington-Dulles International.

• the_fuzzy_penguinthe_fuzzy_penguin OhioRegistered User regular
    Submitted - 8 of us taking the Metal Gear line. I can't believe nobody else has mentioned that train on the map yet, it was packed last year! (maybe I'm just too early...)

pray tell ... what is the Metal Gear line (I assume it is a train)? There are only two ways to get off my island province ... fly or drive (via Ferry) and driving is really not an option lulz

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    pray tell ... what is the Metal Gear line (I assume it is a train)? There are only two ways to get off my island province ... fly or drive (via Ferry) and driving is really not an option lulz

It's a train from Chicago to Boston, via Buffalo and Albany.

Pfft, driving is always an option! It's only 2400 clicks from St. Johns to boston, you could do that in 2 days and there'd be some beautiful scenery between the two points.

I'd say its 28 hours of driving, but no one drives the speed limit on the transcanada :P *

*seriously, just fly, spending 4 days in a car on your vacation sucks in multiple ways and you're likely not saving on fuel unless you're driving a hybrid.

Pfft, driving is always an option! It's only 2400 clicks from St. Johns to boston, you could do that in 2 days and there'd be some beautiful scenery between the two points.

I'd say its 28 hours of driving, but no one drives the speed limit on the transcanada :P *

*seriously, just fly, spending 4 days in a car on your vacation sucks in multiple ways and you're likely not saving on fuel unless you're driving a hybrid.

the length of drive is probably in the neighborhood, but the kicker is waiting for and using the ferries ... from St. John's you have two options Port aux Basques (8 hr drive + 6 hr ferry), or Argentia (1.5hr drive, 13 hr ferry) either way it is like 2 days just to get off the island. And Argentia is seasonal so it would not yet be running in April.

Updated! We now have 46 pins on the map.

• eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    Submitted. Looking forward to the 5 hr drive up to Boston. Best weekend of every year :)

0j92muX.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I added mine! Looks like there's something within a few miles of me. That's pretty cool. :)

• AylaviereAylaviere Overlord Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    [Deleted]

Aylaviere on
    East 2015: Hostel/Hotel [✓] Time Off [✓] 3 Day Pass [✓] Pokecrawl [ ]
  • trashedretrotrashedretro Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Submitted! Another one from Vancouver here. This will be our 2nd PAX. SOOO excited! Our flight has been booked... now just waiting for badges and hotel!

My Pinny Arcade collection! Click Here!
    Looking for DLC Kickstarter Limited... will do multiple trades for it!
  • mindflare77mindflare77 OhioRegistered User regular
    Added mine, though in hindsight I should have mentioned that it's counting for two people (barring unforeseen circumstances, obviously).

8BFpSWC.png

PSN/Steam: mindflare77
    Aylaviere wrote: »
    St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada ..... Aka the Rock. As east as you can get without falling in the Ocean!

NEWFIE!

Vancouverite here, the centre of Canada. What, Ontario? No they just THINK they're the centre.

This will be my second PAX East and I'm excited to go as it's more of a real vacation than Prime (since I go to Seattle nearly every other weekend...).

I'll also most likely be volunteering with the Pokecrawl again this year.

Maps would disagree with you.

As well as anyone from Toronto.

edited October 2013
    Aylaviere wrote: »

NEWFIE!

Vancouverite here, the centre of Canada. What, Ontario? No they just THINK they're the centre.

This will be my second PAX East and I'm excited to go as it's more of a real vacation than Prime (since I go to Seattle nearly every other weekend...).

I'll also most likely be volunteering with the Pokecrawl again this year.
    Maps would disagree with you.

As well as anyone from Toronto.

Ahhhh poor tormented souls ..... Delusional to a fault

Of course Torontonians would think the world revolves around them

Of course Vancouverites would disagree and opine that it lies west of centre

When it everyone knows that the centre of the universe and god's country is the Rock!

Sillies........

aBByNormaL on
    Added mine, though in hindsight I should have mentioned that it's counting for two people (barring unforeseen circumstances, obviously).
    You can always submit a modification

Updated! We now have 59 markers on the map.

FYI: Submission of the form does not immediately show up on the map, I update it manually. Mentioning this because one person submitted twice, 5 hours apart.

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Added!

I'm haling from somewhere south of Montreal (moved recently). We are heading down to PAX for the ultimate guy trip. Two other buddies from work are joining in, one of which barely ever left the province. We have three things to do on our mission - PAX, Cheers and find the best place for a dirty Cheeseburger.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've never been to PAX East before, so I thought I'd get my Google Earth tag on the map. Really looking forward to this trip this year!

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    It's so lonely down here in Colorado T_T

The spread for attendees is pretty interesting. Looks like there is a pretty big local draw.

PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • VGVideoGalaxyVGVideoGalaxy Northern VirginiaRegistered User regular
    sacratoy wrote: »
    It's so lonely down here in Colorado T_T

The spread for attendees is pretty interesting. Looks like there is a pretty big local draw.

I used to live in Colorado (I was born there), there was not much gaming groups around from what I remember either. It is a beautiful state though!

• zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    My first PAX was at Prime this year and it was an incredible experience. This time around I'm planning on driving from mid-Missouri, so it'll be a long road trip! Can't wait to see the eastern half of the country for the first time!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    Submitted! 3rd time to PAXEast. Missed last year because my wife and I were living in Ireland. We're from Dallas, unless you're from Dallas and in that case we live in the North Burbs. We love PAXEast because we get to see all the people we miss!

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • Smeg77Smeg77 London, UKRegistered User new member
    Ok submitted mine, and looking at a distance-o-meter I come in at a hefty 3,284.38 miles :)

• Rabid DogRabid Dog Registered User regular
    I'm also from Pittsburgh and can confirm that we do indeed place fries on every type of food available. Giovannis pizzaria. buffalo chicken pizza. downtown location. best pizza ever.

I will be dragging my roommates and a couple friends along this time, whereas last year I went solo. I had too much fun last year to pass it up this time!

Anyone else from Pittsburgh?

• DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    I've signed up so that another little dot can be placed in Pennsylvania. I moved to the Lehigh Valley from Florida about a year ago and love it here so far (except for the fact that the regional cuisine doesn't recognize herbs and spices.) Being able to more easily go to things like PAX East doesn't hurt, either.

It'll be my second PAX East and second overall. It'd be nice to go to Prime one day (or even Aus if I'm dreaming) but while I was in Boston last March I knew that it was likely I'd be making the annual spring pilgrimage there for the foreseeable future. I had a blast last year and now that I have some experience, I'm hoping that 2014 is even better!

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

edited October 2013
    Updated!

Currently the Furthest Person From PAX: @Smeg77 at 3,279.76 miles away.

zerzhul on