As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Government Shutdown: Operation Slime Down

OghulkOghulk Tinychat JanitorTinychatRegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in Social Entropy++

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Someone grab the Dark City clip

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Ugh...

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    When will people learn, Democracy doesn't work!

PSN- AHermano
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ZSDCvUwN8

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Doodoo doo doo. Doo doodoo doo do...

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    When will people learn, Democracy doesn't work!

Robo-Nixon for King

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i have no idea how you get out of this one

is there a third option that isn't just "someone backs down" or "the government remains shut down forever"

because i don't think the democrats should cave but i also think the chance of the republicans doing it is negligible

they, personally, have nothing to lose

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    This isn't good. Basically big business turtle when something like this happens. I expect a lot less folks coming in for blueprints and such if this lasts very long.

VayBJ4e.png
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm now humming the final countdown song

gonna be stuck in my head all day

oh well~

i mean i also have no idea how something like this is even possible

seems kinda like the american system of government has come to a natural conclusion and you should probably just have a do-over

• ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    gut all your kings and strange all your priests over there

no kings, you say? that's a stumper

thenews.jpg
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I really worry about what's next. Because this isn't getting better without getting a lot worse first.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    now! kill it while it's sleeping!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    i mean i also have no idea how something like this is even possible

seems kinda like the american system of government has come to a natural conclusion and you should probably just have a do-over

If this happened in the UK, its a vote of no confidence in everything but name and the PM would resign/there would be new elections.

I get the impression President Obama won't be doing that though.

• SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

The best film.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I think if enough business folk pressure non-tea party members, they could cave.

VayBJ4e.png
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    At long last

My decades of stockpiling sports equipment and ammunition has finally proved useful

BEGUN IS THE REIGN OF THE THE ENC-KING

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The government shuts down...and people everywhere don't notice any difference at all.

The government shuts down...and people everywhere don't notice any difference at all.

isn't this the exact ideology that lead to the government shutdown in the first place

• B_RB_R Registered User regular
    Finally my libertarian bitcoin utopia will be reality !

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    In all of this government shut down news, people are forgetting the most important thing...LITTLE MERMAID OUT ON BLU RAY TODAY!

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    In all of this government shut down news, people are forgetting the most important thing...LITTLE MERMAID OUT ON BLU RAY TODAY!
    poor unfortunate souls indeed

EzUAYcn.png

I know quite a few people that are, right now, getting the last 4 hours of their work shutting down their jobs before going on indefinite furlough. Several of my State-level coworkers are getting furloughed starting Friday with the next pay period because their jobs are partially supported by federal grants. In total, I'd estimate about 30-50 people at my work and in my friend circle are about to lose their income for an indefinite period of time.

None of those are military either. All those military spouses/families needing their paystubs this week won't be getting them. While their pay will accrue for the future disbursement once this ends, if they are paycheck to paycheck they will not be able to pay rent/bills/eat.

Know what the fuck you are talking about before making flippant comments like this. An estimated 800k jobs in the armed forces alone are being put on all stop today, not counting the likely 4-500k of grant and non-essential federal jobs across the country with everything from parks & rec to transportation and public services.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So, I found the tumblr of someone who decided to try and give some information as to what it will actually mean for people. It's rather interesting. I've got no idea what the rest of the tumblr is like.
    - 800,000 federal employees have to go home. There’s no money to pay them, and coming to work on a volunteer basis gets into some tricky legal areas. While in the past they have successfully lobbied for back pay, there’s no guarantee of it with a divided congress.
    - Air-traffic controllers will remain on duty. ATCs are government employees, but they are members of the 2-million odd employees that are marked as “essential”. They likely will not receive paychecks, however, until the shutdown ends.
    - Airport delays. While the FAA’s security screeners are essential employees, many of the people who work to support them logistically are not.
    - Visa applications and fees will continue to be processed, and foreign embassies and consulates remain open. So if you’re waiting on a visa application, don’t worry, it’s still in the works - though again, it’ll almost certainly be a slower process. Homeland Security and green card operations are included here, though DHS’ e-verify program - the thing that checks on the immigration status of job applicants - will no longer operate.
    - NASA will furlough most of its employees. Essential mission control operations and employees will continue, but the vast majority of NASA employees are going home - and I do mean home, because NASA’s on-site housing for employees is being shut down.
    - The military stops receiving paychecks. While the million and a half members of the US Armed Services stay on duty, they won’t get paid until after the shutdown. Thanks to a bill signed into law an hour before the shutdown, this is no longer true. Active-duty and reserve members will continue to be paid.
    - The postal service continues as normal.
    - The federal court system stops. According to The Guardian, the federal courts would operate as normal for about 10 days before they have to start sending people home.
    - The NIH screeches to a halt. That includes accepting new patients for clinical research, as well as answering medical questions on their hotline.
    - The CDC will stop its seasonal flu program. According to the Washington Post, it will also have “a significantly reduced capacity to respond to outbreak investigations.”
    - HUD will no longer be able to provide local housing authorities with vouchers. So if you live in government-subsidized housing, your status is very much up in the air.
    - Parks and museums will close. Yosemite, Alcatraz, Yellowstone, the Smithsonian, the Library of Congress, the Statue of Liberty, and about 400 other locations will close - though interestingly, the Southern Rim of the Grand Canyon will remain open, because the state of Arizona is picking up the bill.
    - The EPA will shut down. The only thing that stays open at the EPA during a government shutdown is its operations around Superfund sites.
    - OSHA will shut down.
    - Social Security will be partially defunded. Social Security, as an entitlement, will remain open enough to keep the checks going out, but will lose enough staff that they won’t be able to schedule new hearings.
    - VA Benefits will be cut. VA hospitals remain open, but that’s about it - and if the shutdown lasts longer than a few weeks, the Department of Veterans Affairs has said that it might not have enough money to pay disability claims and pensions.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but hopefully it gives everyone a pretty good idea of what we’re going to be looking at over the next few days, weeks, or (god forbid) months.

I mean, joking to ease the pain of this is one thing but this lie is one of the shittiest things I've heard repeated over the last 48 hours. The government employs something like 1 in 15 people in this country. A lot of people are being hurt.

I'm not saying it isn't a big deal, but I'm a firm believer that it will get figured out, we'll move on, and that will be that until it happens next time.

edited October 2013
    I'm not saying it isn't a big deal, but I'm not affected so screw everyone that is lolz.

Enc on
    You figured me out. That's exactly what I'm saying.

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    ALL YOU PEOPLE UP THERE, IN CITY HALL...

YOU'RE FUCKIN' IT UP FOR THE PEOPLE THAT'S IN THE STREETS!

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Also from the above tumblr

Oh, and just in case you were wondering: The 535 legislators in the US Senate and US House of Representatives continue to cut paychecks during a government shutdown. So, rest easy, folks.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    We had the news on all day at work when they were doing THE COUNTDOWN

This shit is fucking shameful

I have never seen a bigger collection of complete jackasses failing to complete any aspect of their fucking jobs

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    We had the news on all day at work when they were doing THE COUNTDOWN

This shit is fucking shameful

I have never seen a bigger collection of complete jackasses failing to complete any aspect of their fucking jobs

The opposite of progress is congress.

I agree. Senate Democrats need to get their shit together.

Jasconius wrote: »

I agree. Senate Democrats need to get their shit together.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Man, if you still unfailingly go republican after this mess, you are either a selfish, heartless jerk or a completely gullible fool

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    i applaud Barack Obama's bold strategy of doing nothing, blaming the GOP, and then pretending like has no bargaining position at all in governmental affairs during his tepid, predictable rhetoric

a truly bold political strategy tailor made for a political discourse that takes place exclusively in the blogosphere, that history will be kind to

a leader of men

no i wanna hear this

jasconius what is your devil's advocate argument for why this is secretly a good thing

I just don't see any potential future for good governance for either party where the entire government can be shut down via funding negotiations rather than the actual legislative process. It destroys the entire concept of elective governance. The citizens no longer have a say via representation, as a vocal minority on either side can essentially cause everything to come to full stop.

no i wanna hear this

jasconius what is your devil's advocate argument for why this is secretly a good thing

it's not a good thing

i take issue with the finger pointing though

This discussion has been closed.