As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Government Shutdown: Operation Slime Down

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I cannot wrap my head around what anyone up there is thinking

It's turned into just rampant attempts to block and foil the opposition with no regard to what actually needs to be done in any given situation

I can't describe how much I want to sit them all down and say what in the actual fuck do you think you are doing up here and why don't any of you give a shit

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i applaud Barack Obama's bold strategy of doing nothing, blaming the GOP, and then pretending like has no bargaining position at all in governmental affairs during his tepid, predictable rhetoric

a truly bold political strategy tailor made for a political discourse that takes place exclusively in the blogosphere, that history will be kind to

a leader of men

Yeah how dare he not completely cave in and give the Republicans everything they want and get nothing in return, even though he just won the election and the American people disagree with pretty much everything the Republicans say!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Obama does not need to bargain. The house republicans are throwing a tantrum over Obama care being law even after they tried to vote it out unsuccessfully a few dozen times, so they're shutting down and refusing to pay for shit they've already agreed to fund.

This isn't a president problem, this is a congress problem. Specifically a House problem.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Also from the above tumblr

Oh, and just in case you were wondering: The 535 legislators in the US Senate and US House of Representatives continue to cut paychecks during a government shutdown. So, rest easy, folks.

Ted Cruz Pledges Salary To Charity If Government Shuts Down.

So there's that.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The fingers should be pointing at bi-partisan politics.

It's the reason why I can't take politics that seriously. Too much bullshit between parties. People voting strictly because that is the way their party votes or putting people in office because they are a democrat or republican, not the best person for the job.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    i applaud Barack Obama's bold strategy of doing nothing, blaming the GOP, and then pretending like has no bargaining position at all in governmental affairs during his tepid, predictable rhetoric

a truly bold political strategy tailor made for a political discourse that takes place exclusively in the blogosphere, that history will be kind to

a leader of men

Yeah how dare he not completely cave in and give the Republicans everything they want and get nothing in return, even though he just won the election and the American people disagree with pretty much everything the Republicans say!

"completely cave" would not be an adequate description of the one provision they disagree on in this continuing resolution

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    no i wanna hear this

jasconius what is your devil's advocate argument for why this is secretly a good thing

it's not a good thing

i take issue with the finger pointing though

I'm all for "both sides are bad" when it is due, but really

Congressional Democrats are asking for:
    -Fund what has already been passed in the way the system is designed

Congressional Republicans are asking for:
    -Put our entire agenda into the budget, get rid of everything we don't like, or we'll shut down everything

The president is saying:
    -
    Absolutely, I will not negotiate. And the reason, Steve, is because if we establish a pattern whereby one faction of one party controlling one chamber in Congress can threaten default, that the United States of America is no longer meeting its obligations and fulfilling the full faith and credit of the United States unless they get 100 percent of what they want, then we've established a pattern that fundamentally changes the nature of our government. At that point, any president — not just me — any president is subject to that kind of blackmail continuously.

If you had a Republican president in here and a Democratic speaker said, "We're not going to raise the debt ceiling unless you pass background checks on guns. We're not going to pass the debt ceiling unless you raise the corporate income tax by 30 percent," you know, that Republican president would find him- or herself in a similar position. That's not how our Constitution was designed. Raising the debt ceiling is not raising the debt; it is simply saying Congress is authorizing the Treasury to pay for those things that Congress has already approved.

(From this morning: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/10/01/227923812/obama-perpetual-cycle-of-brinksmanship-has-to-end

Really I see no other reason this entire scenario had to occur aside from Republican temper tantrums. If they wanted to change or repeal the ACA, and that is a fine thing for them to want to do as their constituency seems to think it necessary, there are existent and legal means for them to follow in order to do so. They would need to get a majority elected in the house and senate, then pass a bill to do that. If they don't have the presidency, then they either wait until they do or get enough seats to go around a veto. We have a legal process to remove unwanted legislation. There is a process.

Instead republicans are doing direct and considerable damage to the country, our economy, and our credit rating while harming our armed forces and national employees because they can't wait a few years to accomplish their goals. That's dumb.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure this is all the House Republicans fault.

Unless you actually believe that one part of congress can determine legislation on threat of economic ruin.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So...as someone who doesn't take much interest in politics for many reasons, but is interested in knowing why this is happening is there a good(and mostly unbiased) article anywhere?

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

a leader of men

House Republicans want to repeal a law but they don't have the votes so instead they're just trying to delay/defund it while hoping some day in the future they will have the votes to repeal it.

What kind of bargaining position is this exactly? Why would Obama give concessions on his marquee legislation when it is now the law?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist

a leader of men

"completely cave" would not be an adequate description of the one provision they disagree on in this continuing resolution

Dickering over the funding of things already passed into law by congress is not a valid position for good governance. It is exactly like saying that you are buying an Iphone and agreeing to a $300 service plan, then, when the bill comes due, refusing to pay it unless AT&T gives you a Macbook and only charges you $50.

Butters wrote: »

a leader of men

House Republicans want to repeal a law but they don't have the votes so instead they're just trying to delay/defund it while hoping some day in the future they will have the votes to repeal it.

What kind of bargaining position is this exactly? Why would Obama give concessions on his marquee legislation when it is now the law?

Exactly, especially after winning a reelection.

a leader of men

I think he could offer them almost anything else off their agenda in exchange for the delay, and get everything he wants out of the bill.

The GOP agenda is very large, the fact that they are making this "about" the ACA is political. I think they'd take anything in trade.

But we'll never find out because Obama would rather get his base riled up about the evil white men

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    But old white men are the enemy?

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The fingers should be pointing at bi-partisan politics.

It's the reason why I can't take politics that seriously. Too much bullshit between parties. People voting strictly because that is the way their party votes or putting people in office because they are a democrat or republican, not the best person for the job.

You mean partisan politics - bipartisan politics involves compromise across party lines.

lostwords wrote: »
    But old white men are the enemy?

if you're brainwashed

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

a leader of men

Yes fuck Obama for not destroying his signature accomplishment because one house of congress who has been threatening to destroy our financial security for three years won't grow up and keep our country running as is their job.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

a leader of men

I think he could offer them almost anything else off their agenda in exchange for the delay, and get everything he wants out of the bill.

The GOP agenda is very large, the fact that they are making this "about" the ACA is political. I think they'd take anything in trade.

But we'll never find out because Obama would rather get his base riled up about the evil white men

I'm sitting here right now wondering if I'm going to be able to afford rent and I'm pretty sure it's not Obama's fault for not letting a small faction of one party fucking blackmail the entire country into getting what they want

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

a leader of men

Here's the bus -->

You're somewhere over here...missing it

-->

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

a leader of men

No, actually. Defunding this signature accomplishment, something that is the law, and has passed muster according to The Supreme Court, would be a monumental complete cave, actually. Only in Republican Fantasy Land® is this not a complete cave.

Maybe as a negotiation ploy, Obama can come back with "I'll defund Obamacare if you agree to set CEO pay limits at $200,000."

LxX6eco.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

a leader of men

Yes fuck Obama for not destroying his signature accomplishment because one house of congress who has been threatening to destroy our financial security for three years won't grow up and keep our country running as is their job.

Am I forgetting how the constitution works? Does the President have any power over the federal budget anyway? Why is this an Obama versus the GOP issue anyway? Shouldn't it be House vs. Senate?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Hunter wrote: »

a leader of men

Here's the bus -->

-->

It's hard for me to understand how people can really believe that Obama is not being at least as political as the GOP is right now. I am genuinely perplexed. The lack of standards that this President is held to is radically impressive.

a leader of men

There is no trade! This isn't lawmaking!

This is funding the bills already passed by congress. This is paying bills for things you have bought. You don't get to negotiate with the server after ordering dinner. You don't get to negotiate with your credit card after buying $2000 dollars of shit on ebay. There is no negotiation that is relevant or prudent here.

This is paying the bills racked up by congress for things already purchased. It's not a place for an agenda. Passing the laws that put the current debts in place was the place for negotiation, back in 2009, and the amount of negotiation republicans were willing to offer was minimal.

You have the check on your table. It's too late to try and redefine what counts as a steak. You ate it.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    You know...call me jaded. But I really think this has less to do about the GOP or whatever and more to do with lobbyist and how lucrative the healthcare market is for some.

I mean, I'm not saying that for certain and if someone has a more indepth look at it I would be very interested in it. But all I see so far is a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

Dragkonias on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

a leader of men

There are several House Republicans that openly maintain their intentions to repeal AHCA but they don't have the votes. The sole reason the GOP is pushing for further delays to any part of the legislation is because they still hope to repeal it in the future.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    okay so as far as i can tell what's happening is that the house of reps is controlled by republicans but the senate and the president are still democratic

since all three need to unanimously agree on passing a budget, this allows for a situation in which one house of congress can block the other two from doing anything, which is a strongarm political tactic but not like an inherent perversion of the system

in fact, when one house is controlled by a different faction than the other the only thing which prevents this from happening all the time is the general goodwill and professionalism of the politicians and the idea that nothing they want could be worth such a drastic measure

obviously these only go so far

you vote for the house of reps every two years. since the republicans won last election you have what would in australia be a conservative government, but since the president is still democratic that is technically not the case

next year you will vote for the house of reps again and, if obama plays his cards right, presumably vote the democrats back in and return to a situation in which a government shutdown is not on the table

politicians being what they are, this whole thing seems to me like an inevitable consequence of a political system that has perhaps not been the best thought out

rhylith wrote: »

a leader of men

Am I forgetting how the constitution works? Does the President have any power over the federal budget anyway? Why is this an Obama versus the GOP issue anyway? Shouldn't it be House vs. Senate?

A president presents a budget, but ultimately the wallet so to speak is the job of the congress. This isn't a budget dispute, so honestly the president is just a voice to help mediate at this time, but it's not his ''job'' to fix it. That's why we have branches of government.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

a leader of men

And exactly what part of their agenda is supposed to be acceptable?
    The bill, obtained by the National Review, tacks on items including a one-year delay of Obamacare; tax reform in the image of Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI); approval of the Keystone pipeline; expanded offshore drilling and other pro-oil and coal energy reforms; increases in military spending coupled with deeper cuts to domestic programs; repealing a fund in the financial regulatory reform bill; means testing for Medicare; repealing the Obamacare prevention and public health fund and medical malpractice reform.

There's also a nut in there about eliminating contraceptive coverage from the ACA.

Why the fuck would they agree to any of that?

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hahaha ooohhhhhh boy

edited October 2013

a leader of men

And exactly what part of their agenda is supposed to be acceptable?
    The bill, obtained by the National Review, tacks on items including a one-year delay of Obamacare; tax reform in the image of Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI); approval of the Keystone pipeline; expanded offshore drilling and other pro-oil and coal energy reforms; increases in military spending coupled with deeper cuts to domestic programs; repealing a fund in the financial regulatory reform bill; means testing for Medicare; repealing the Obamacare prevention and public health fund and medical malpractice reform.

There's also a nut in there about eliminating contraceptive coverage from the ACA.

Why the fuck would they agree to any of that?

Because when Republicans lose an election, they still get to dictate the terms of the government. Otherwise it's tyranny. Like the Nazis.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg

a leader of men

Here's the bus -->

-->

It's hard for me to understand how people can really believe that Obama is not being at least as political as the GOP is right now. I am genuinely perplexed. The lack of standards that this President is held to is radically impressive.

Of course he is being political! He's a politician. However, his political agenda is operating within the laws of the country according to the rules in place that both 1) the SCOTUS have agreed are, in fact, legal and 2) do not directly and adversely put millions of Americans out of work and endanger our economic and debt security.

ACA was passed legally, withstood legal challenges to it's constitutionality, withstood two elections where the platform was to remove it, and withstood over 40 attempts by the current congress to defund or eliminate it within congress (not even getting to the president's table). Now the line is, since Republicans have failed to garner support to legally remove or modify ACA in three years, they are going to just shut down the government and damage the country to get their way.

If we're talking standards, then the ones who aren't living up to the rules of the country are House Republicans.

a leader of men

No, actually. Defunding this signature accomplishment

If their goal as of today was to defund it, I would say you have a point. But right now their goal is only to delay the individual mandate by a year.

Even Ted Cruz, who filibustered for 21 hours to defund it, now says that defunding is not on the table.

a leader of men

If their goal as of today was to defund it, I would say you have a point. But right now their goal is only to delay the individual mandate by a year.

Even Ted Cruz, who filibustered for 21 hours to defund it, now says that defunding is not on the table.

Right right. Delay it for a year.

What happens next year? They suddenly agree that it's okay? And they let it go through no questions asked?

Boy if you believe that....

LxX6eco.jpg
    What exactly is the point of delaying it a year though?

a leader of men

Here's the bus -->

-->

He's not being political because this is not his function in government as the president. Congress pays the bills, and they're not doing it right now because a small handful of one party is throwing a tantrum over a law they don't like but don't have the votes to repeal.

If this was my child behaving like this, I would tell him to suck it up and stop crying about it. That is the response our leaders need to make, specifically the republicans in the House and Senate who understand that at this moment in history they do not have the votes or the clout to stop Obamacare. This is not the time nor place to debate it.

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Wait why would they want to increase military spending again

We're not even technically at war anymore what logic could they be using to throw that one on the table???

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    so when people say that the republicans lost an election

they won an election, right? they won control of the house of representatives, which is how they now wield this power

there's this whole narrative about how they can't accept that they lost and it seems like it might be kinda misleading

i could be wrong about that, though, i barely have any idea of what the president even does

a leader of men

Right right. Delay it for a year.

What happens next year? They suddenly agree that it's okay? And they let it go through no questions asked?

Well the President himself has delayed the corporate mandate by a year earlier this year.. The President did that. Autonomously, without Congressional approval.

What happens next year? He suddenly agrees that it's okay? And he lets it go through no questions asked?

Dragkonias wrote: »
    What exactly is the point of delaying it a year though?

because...uhh.....tyranny! Socialism!

LxX6eco.jpg
This discussion has been closed.