As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokemon Thread: Sufficiently Spooky

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited October 2013 in Social Entropy++
NxbPC2y.jpg

It was a dark and stormy night...when the Pokemon Thread came to town

ma20xrK.png

yESh4l9.jpg
Let's get right into the meat of this: the new generation. While Gen Five played things a bit more conservatively, Six is really mixing things up. Here's the blow-by-blow, and if you've missed a few generations since you last pokemon game, then just scroll past this and catch up on older changes first.
  • Full 3D Graphics: Yowza! The first pokemon to abandoned its cherish sprite tradition and go for fancy polygons and whatnot. No doubt the game will look pretty awesome with the 3D cranked up.
  • New Type, Fairy: Designed to rein in dragons a bit, Fairy is so far super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting types. It is not super effective against Fire, Poison, and Steel. Fairy is weak to Poison and Steel while resisting Fighting, Bug, and Dark. They are immune to Dragon moves.
  • Other balance changes: Steel loses resistance to both Ghost and Dark, Ghosts are immune to switch-prevention effects like Shadow Tag, Electrics are completely immune to paralysis, and so forth.
  • Mega Evolutions: Certain pokemon can evolve even further. In reality this is more like different forms than legitimate evolutions, as they revert to their original species after the battle ends. Mega evolution requires a specific held item, and you have an option to active the mega evolution while in a battle. What happens depends on the pokemon. Some get new abilities, other get different stats, and some like Mega Ampharos even get a new type. Mega Pokemon are designed to be on par with legendaries (though it's worth noting that some legendaries wind up in Tiers well below Ubers) and you can have only one Mega Pokemon on your team.
  • Horde Encounters: Sometimes you fight a whole swarm of wild pokemon at once, typically pokemon you'd expect to operate in a herd mentality (a herd of Tauros and Miltank is the obvious example). Obviously this is be a bit more challenging since you pokemon has to endure several attacks at once.
  • You can ride pokemon, which I guess replaces the bike? No idea if this is limited to specific pokemon yet.
  • There will be an app called Pokemon Bank, which allows you to store pokemon on Nintendo's servers. It is the largest pokemon storage yet, allowing for 3,000 pokemon to be stored. The catch is that it's a paid service with an annual fee of five bucks. There will be a month-long free demo when it launches.
  • HATS. You can buy different outfits for your player character. This is also the first Pokemon game to feature different skin color option for your character.

6nOWoMi.jpg?1
  • Sky Battles: These are optional battles that, at least so far, are like normal battles except only flying types and/or pokemon with Levitate may participate. Moves and abilities COULD change, but so far no details.
  • Pokemon-Aime: Feed and play with your pokemon, which probablys interplays with happiness. It looks like a combination of Pokemon and Nintendogs.
  • Super Training: Finally, at long last, proper EV training complete with ways to track your progress for a particular pokemon.
  • New Region: Kalos, a region based on Paris.
  • MORE POKEMANS: We're not even sure of how many more.

MKdGM70.png

Are you an old veteran of Red and Blue? Maybe you took a break after Platinum? Or maybe the nostalgia bug has bitten you? It doesn't matter, because here is a very short history on each generation including the changes each brought to core gameplay and how "good" it is or isn't to revisit.

Note: Generation I and II are currently the only generations that cannot trade with other generations. So long as you have the equipment, it is entirely possible to trade pokemon from Generation III all the way to Generation VI.

Generation I
k0cW7ZQ.jpg
Hardware: Game Boy
Main Games: Red & Blue
Special Edition: Yellow
Comments: Sometimes you can't go home again. While there's no doubt that Generation 1 will hold a fond place in our hearts for introducing us to this crazy franchise, it has a boatload of issues that will probably hamper any replays. The game also lacks a ton of the Quality of Life additions that modern games have, which will further hurt the experience. Sometimes these things are better left in the past.

Generation II
nGIkw22.png
Hardware: Game Boy
Main Games: Gold & Silver
Special Edition: Crystal
New Features: Two new types (dark and steel), pokemon can hold items, Special stat split into special attack and special defense, genders added along with breeding, day of the week and time added
Comments: There are some people that claim Gen I was the peak of pokemon. Then there's basically everyone else who will argue Generation II is the, er, Golden Age of pokemon. It's a stronger argument, with significantly more balanced gameplay, fewer bugs and general issues, and a ton of content. It's so far the only generation where you can visit the previous generation's region and fight old gym leaders. You can even fight the protagonist from the previous generation. Crazy. This is probably the earliest you can go back and still find pokemon more or less playable.

Fa8L0MV.jpg?1

Generation III
KjWo1gx.jpg
Main Series: Ruby & Sapphire
Hardware: Game Boy Advance
Main Games: Ruby & Sapphire
Special Edition: Emerald
Remakes: Fire Red & Leaf Green
New Features: Pokemon have passive traits called "abilities" such as immunity to sleep or one-hit kill moves, double battles allow for 2v2 matchups, pokemon have natures that exchange 10% of one stat for 10% of another, the player character actually has a dad
Comments: I'm overly harsh on Gen III sometimes. I don't like most of the designs of many of the pokemon, and at the time Nintendo had no way of obtaining most of the old school pokemon on Ruby/Sapphire, forcing you to buy the remakes or the Gamecube RPGS to get the ones you want. It isn't TERRIBLE, however, and I actually recommend the remakes if you really are in the mood to relive Gen I.

Generation IV
eu2g5ls.jpg
Hardware: Nintendo DS
Main Game: Diamond & Pearl
Special Edition: Platinum
Remakes: Heart Gold & Soul Silver
New Features: Attack Type no longer determines if a move if physical or special (ie Thunderbolt is special whereas Thunderpunch is physical), internet trading and battling added to the series
Comments: I think Gen IV revitalized the series for a lot of people. Dual screen is really nice for pokemon, and internet finally brought communities together in a tangible way. As usual, the remakes are really awesome although apparently getting increasingly hard to find these days. Not a lot of complaints here. I especially like some of the evolutions for older pokemon like Yanma.

oWI9vhs.png

Generation V
2G9mPFD.jpg
Generation Five
Hardware: Nintendo DS
Main Game: Black & White
Special Edition: Black 2 & White 2
New Features: TMs have infinite uses. You're Welcome.
Comments: Gen V is a pretty interesting game. The main series has this weird "alternate history" feel because you don't see any of the older pokemon until you beat the Elite Four, so you see a lot of reimagined pokemon like a new take on Machop, Geodude, Zubat, and other mainstays. The storyline was more at the forefront this time around with the villain actually questioning the ethics of pokemon training and being like a Pokemon Animal Liberation Front. Interesting though it doesn't really explore the issue like it could. This was a pretty brief generation, so there's not even a Ruby/Sapphire remake this time around.

svBCdvo.png

This is less of a direct FAQ and more of a general information dump that should answer any questions.

Pokemon X and Y release Worldwide on October 12th. You can buy the games the old fashion way or on Nintendo's eShop. If you are planning to buy a 3DS to play Pokemon on, then there will be a 3DS XL/Pokemon bundle available at launch. On September 27th, you can purchase a special blue or red X/Y themed 3DS XL. They are quite snazzy. It's worth noting that the Pokemon themed XLs DO NOT come with a copy of X or Y, and (as far as we know) the XL/Pokemon bundles are just generic XLs. Do not ask me why they did this.
lUir9eK.jpg
This is the Japanese one, but the design is the same.

If you ARE a new 3DS buyer, then I cannot stress enough to get the XL over the original 3DS. You'll appreciate the better battery, larger screen, and chunkier hardware for holding. Perhaps you are strapped for cash, but Pokemon is something you have to play RIGHT THE FUCK NOW. Then try the Nintendo 2DS, which would cost you about as much as a normal 3DS when you buy it with Pokemon. It's decent savings, but you give up the 3D, clamshell design, and that beautiful screen of the XL.

You can transfer Pokemon from Black/White 1 & 2 to X/Y. There will be an app that allows you to store pokemon from your Gen 5 games and then swap out your Gen 5 game for X or Y and use the app to finish the transfer. This is supposedly done inside of the Pokemon Bank app, but that would be really shitty of Nintendo to place transfer behind a pay wall. We'll see.

Websites
Bulpedia: Basically the biggest load of ANY kind of pokemon information on the internet. WARNING: this site will probably run like shit for a solid month after X/Y release. Check out alternatives.
Serebii.net: I don't really like the Serebii guy, but it's a good source of information and is another alternate pokedex should others be down.
Smogon: The site for competitive multiplayer. Has tier listings as well as decent articles and information on how to begin assembling a team. Also has individual critques of each pokemon's competitive capabilities, complete with some suggested movelists.
Pokemon Showdown: A very popular battle simulator complete with features like replays. It actually has a really nice, clean pokedex if you need one.

IVs and EVs

IVs are Individual Values and EVs are Effort Values.

An IV is a basically random numbers assigned to a specific pokemon. One Raichu may have high HP whereas another Raichu has lower HP due to the difference in HP IVs. For the most part IVs are random although breeding can influence them. It's best not to worry about IVs since in the long run they don't matter a terrible amount with a few key exceptions. Don't be the guy who resets their game 50 types to get The Perfect Legendary.

Effort Values is kind of like "stat experience" to further customize a pokemon's stats. For example, knocking out an Electrode will give a pokemon X Speed EVs, and every X speed EVs will cause that pokemon's speed to go up by one. There's a cap on the total amount of EVs you can have (regardless of what stat they're for) and there's also a cap on how many EVs of a particular stat a pokemon. EVs ARE considered important, and a bulk of forming your team is tweaking their stats via a process calling "EV Training."

ky6EVzK.jpg?1

cG49qRR.png

Hey, I hear people like this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMnwB6neGlY

js6010X.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMY2zbVuloM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmywDbnC5oc

ziqJMjA.png

This is for stuff going on in the pokemon world and little things people on this forum put together.

Mega Blaziken: Until January, you can go online and get a free Torchic that is holding the Mega Stone necessary for Blaziken's mega evolution. Get it while you can!
Launch Part: Nintendo is doing a launch party on October 11th until 1am or so in New York City. Check out their Facebook or other sites for details.

KYBiVKv.jpg

iaOAJk2.png

This will be where all the friend codes are kept. If you recently bought a 3DS, then you'll be happy to know that friend codes are on a per-system basis, so once you and your friend have added each other you're good to go for all future games. If you wish to be added to the list, then PM me or post in the thread I guess.

hhqjJdO.jpg?1

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There is so much Gengar fanart.

YL9WnCY.png
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I request more Mismagius fan art she is my favorite ghost

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Lindsey Stirling 8->

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I was going to post that because it's actually pretty good

But dear god that title

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    The second post of this thread was actually a stealth reservation for more ghost fanart.

Preferably fanart that isn't the Gastly line because, I love them and all, but our cup runneth over.

YL9WnCY.png
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Have they gone into detail about how the transfer process will work with regards to the number you can transfer at one time? I've only ever gone from emerald to pearl and I have yo say, six per day is bullshit.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    New prediction.

Frofrou and Liteo are version exclusive given the primary purpose of poodles was to kill lions

Which means Frofrou either evolves or has a preevo.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    Can't you swap the internal clock and go again?

goomyisall400.jpg

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    New prediction.

Frofrou and Liteo are version exclusive given the primary purpose of poodles was to kill lions

what

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Have they gone into detail about how the transfer process will work with regards to the number you can transfer at one time? I've only ever gone from emerald to pearl and I have yo say, six per day is bullshit.

It's been 'six at a time, as often as you like' since HeartGold/SoulSilver, so I'm putting my money on that. I assume/hope they'll skip the mini-game this time, though.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    You guys didnt know that?

Poodles were bred to be super protective and absurdly vicious attack dogs with thick fur that absorbs biting attacks.

The traditional poodle style emulates a lion for that reason

What is its ability?

Oh.

Riptor is telling the truth.

What.

What.

YL9WnCY.png
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »

It's been 'six at a time, as often as you like' since HeartGold/SoulSilver, so I'm putting my money on that. I assume/hope they'll skip the mini-game this time, though.
    Buh? Pokebank transfers whole boxes at a time

Now I want that Poodle to be Uber tier.

YL9WnCY.png
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    What is its ability?

Oh.

Riptor is telling the truth.

What.

What.
    The version exclusive stuff is just a guess though. Given its ability buffs defense through thick fur I feel confident itll be referenced at least

• KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    Klendy wrote: »
    Can't you swap the internal clock and go again?

As stated this changed later anyway, but I'm pretty sure at the time, resetting the internal clock reset the timer to start counting down from 24 hours again.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    Arch wrote: »
    Fear of poodles increasing

Theyre very sweet dogs . They love being held.

They are huge though. Also you need about 300 bucks a month for grooming if you want them to look presentable and not die in the summer

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    New prediction.

Pretty sure Poodles were bred to be strong swimmers and be used as retrievers. I'm not sure where you heard they were bred to kill lions.

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Ridgeback

Now those were bred to hold off lions while the hunter killed it with a gun.

SirToasty on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Ugh. I'm getting the itch.

Hmm. Thats odd. Ive always heard otherwise

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Ugh. I'm getting the itch.

Come on, you know you want to catch them all.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I'm still hoping that Chespin's final evolution has him as a relatively little animal, but with a big monstrous plant-body around him that he controls.

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Spoilers in this Instagram account

This dude's apparently got a review copy

http://instagram.com/kosthedin#

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Tm 83
    Infestation

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I need this in my life

2dtr87s.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    your personal instagram account seems like the dumbest place to leak things to

liEt3nH.png
    BIDOOF RETURNS

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I doubt they acquired a review copy through legitimate means. I don't think someone who is supposed to be reviewing it would be that stupid.

• alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I doubt they acquired a review copy through legitimate means. I don't think someone who is supposed to be reviewing it would be that stupid.

Just stupid enough to show off stolen property?

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
    I don't really care it he gets nuked from orbit.

I just wanna see new shit

2dtr87s.png
    your personal instagram account seems like the dumbest place to leak things to
    If he bought a copy, then he's not going to get in trouble.

If it's a review copy, then he is so fucked. But it's probably a store that break street date, in which case they are in for a world of hurt.

YL9WnCY.png
    Well these are good quality at least and thats new viola art.

Hes not posting pokemon on purpose though thats pretty clear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wNjZtvHqDHg

Man the anime is starting to actually look decent

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Oh stat screen!
    Finally.

Shocking no one these dex screens debunk hawlucha binacle and most likely greninja

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Doesn't seem to be much spoilery there. Mostly just images of things we already know are in the game. Maybe he's trying to prove his cred before showing off all the actual spoilers?

Also, agreed that this seems like a dumb thing to do. Maybe not quite on the level of that kid who posted the Xbone video, but along those lines at least.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Ugh, I'm going to be the saddest when Dedenne doesn't get an evo

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
This discussion has been closed.