As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Toasty's adventure world [GIF heavy]

ToasticusToasticus yeahYEAHRegistered User regular
edited April 2018 in Artist's Corner
hello peoples, I like mechs & stuff

figure it's time I went and made a thread about it! I'll start off with just 2D works here but some 3D stuff might pop up over time.
please feel at your freest to critique, slam, deface, and/or righteously bludgeon the works on display.

edit: ISP went on the fritz so I'm updating the links
edit2: Dropbox killed hotlinking a while back, so I figured I'd just go ahead and upload these old suckers here

avg86yul80q0.jpg

mq71ldlk6rsz.jpg

mohgvg51rhie.jpg

scu6nxl1roo0.jpg

Toasticus on

• McDMcD Registered User regular
    So cool... The orange bipedal guy looks so happy! It would be awesome to see your process on one of these.

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    What is the long antena for?

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    boner....

• ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    McD wrote: »
    So cool... The orange bipedal guy looks so happy! It would be awesome to see your process on one of these.

haha, I've heard that! he does kinda look like he's smiling eh! I do have a bit of process stuff lying around, here's one:

mech_progress_anim1.gif
    also got some earlier stage shots of some, I'll see what I can dig up

What is the long antena for?
    looking cool ;)
    boner....
    dag yo put some clothes on at least this is a family establishment

Toasticus on
    edited July 2015
    truck_silhouettes_A.jpg

going to flesh out one of these this weekend... I'm thinking D, E, or F?

it'd be for industrial operations on a planet that may or may not have breathable atmosphere (haven't decided) and maybe needs to be semi-offroad capable

Toasticus on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Antenna length is related to the frequency it's used for. The bigger, the lower the frequency, generally.

edited June 2013
    huh! well that is pretty cool to find out! I nabbed it from the giant antennas you see on vehicles sometimes, but given the size of the mech I guess that would be a pretty ridiculously low frequency there.

what would be less jarring? like half the length?

hmm, actually it doesn't seem that far off the mark, though admittedly I don't know the practical function of these:
    Humvee_Light_Vehicle_US_Army_02.jpg

Toasticus on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2013
    Low frequency comms tend to be longer range, like AM radio, but very high frequency are better for line of sight. Check out ultra low frequency, and also extremely low frequncy (with questionable health hazards!): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low_frequency

For example, aircraft communications are around 120Mhz and quarter wavelength antennas are about 2 feet long.
    http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennagenericfreqlencalc.html

That's not to say you can have smaller antennas work on different frequencies, this is just the optimal length. Also, what I'm saying might be complete bullshit.

bombardier on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    those specifically are for FBCB 2 (blue force tracker,) and SINCGARS

ninjai on
    damn you guys know your stuff! thanks for the info :D

edited June 2013
    went with truck E! finally got something that's about ready to start painting over. might noodle with the angle a bit more.

think this is the first time I've modeled something specifically for the purpose of painting over it, and couldn't stop myself from cleaning up geo in places where it didn't matter, argh. need to get faster! :P

truck_E_basemesh_fix.jpg

edit: slight update on render, now for painting

Toasticus on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I probably would've picked D, because the profile seemed more interesting, but that model looks like it'll make for a pretty sweet truck. Can't wait to see the finished version.

Also: Happy orange mech is the best mech.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited July 2015
    yeah D does seem more trucky as well, might try that as an alt cab later! I'm a sucker for funky shapes like this though hehe. thanks man

was going to try a four-piece set of small env thumbnails but it took me forevvvverrrrrr to get to a point with this first one where I didn't totally hate it blargh

landscape_sketches_A_1.jpg

I think I need to burn through a bunch of landscape studies from references before starting from a blank canvas again

Toasticus on
    Been wanting to properly work on learning how to draw people for a while, but I'm finally taking the jump. Fair warning: this could get ugly! Pull no punches!

For context, this is the last unreferenced attempt at drawing a person I have, from way back in 2007:
    ugh_dear_god.jpgUGH SO GRODY

zf_studies_sketch_02.jpg
    Line study of a picture by Loish - I LOVE her style

zf_studies_sketch_01.jpg
    Line study of Mal from Firefly

zf_studies_pilot_01.jpg
    Adapted from a photo

zf_studies_kaylee_01.jpg
    Value study of Kaylee from Firefly

Hit me witcha crits!

This morning's stab at not using references:

zf_pilots_01.jpg

A little improved over 2007 maybe! Gotta move on from bald folks tho. I'm thinking a 50/50 mix of full-reference and loose reference work should be the way forward for me, for now. Advice?

zf_studies_saldana_01.jpg
    Portrait study of Zoe Saldana

Early blocking process shot:
    zf_studies_saldana_01_b.jpg

edited July 2015
    mech_sketches_B_01.jpg
    Some mech sketches to warm up for today

Toasticus on
  • wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Aww, no crits on this stuff yet? Boo.

Love what I see going on. The mech concepts are super-intentional! Makes me wanna eat your brain or something.

I'm going to reduce my portrait crit to this: do some life studies as soon as possible. Most of the time your proportions and contrasts are a-okay, but I can see your brain trying to render a photo rather than rendering volume (it's really obvious in the lack of interesting shapes in your Zoe prelim).

Here's the best way to test what I mean: squint and then look at the drawing of Kaylee. See how the mouth and eyes are way sharper than everything else, and almost look like thin planes of clay? That's an indicator that you need to do simpler shapes with bigger brushes.

Take all that with a grain of salt, since my stuff is normally lacking necessary detail. But still, love what I see! <3

Edit: take this as an addendum. Flipping and blowing out the image should point out most of the discrepancies. As a rule, I never do b&w work off a colour ref unless I'm trying to stretch my brain.

kaylee-grease.jpg

wahay on
    "Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
    Man, thank you so much for the crit! Yeah, I've had a hard time grasping the geometry of the reference images. While I was working on the Zoe picture I really noticed the tendency to just over-blend everything but the eyes and mouth, so I tried to start correcting that. It might be better for me to pick refs with more defined lighting for now. I did start setting my ref to greyscale before working on Zoe which definitely helps, but I definitely need to flip canvas more just in general.

Life studies are tough to arrange. I guess I could do pencil and paper studies of patient friends and family?

mech_sketches_B_02.jpg

Today's mech sketch, trying an upward perspective

edited July 2013
    oh man I totally forgot about these old env sketches from 2010

zf_scifistudy_1.jpg

zf_scifistudy_2.jpg

I gotta do more stuff like this sometime

Toasticus on
  • sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    Love your sketches Toasty. How long does this sort of piece take you?

Thanks! If you mean those environment sketches, it's been a while so I'm not sure, but I'd guess probably about two to three hours apiece. If I was struggling with the design or perspective it might have been longer.

• siskavardsiskavard Animator Vancouver BCRegistered User regular
    These are fantastic. I'm always so jealous of people who can draw mechs/mechanical things.

• ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    Love the Mechs! Very Metal Slug/Metal Gear. :D

Hey thanks guys, glad you like it! :) Got some more stuff on the way, hopefully wrapping up this weekend.

edited August 2013
    tumblr_mr2u5dsZs91se2q65o1_400.gif

stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp

Toasticus on
    edited July 2015
    wow it's been a while since I posted here O_O For the last couple of months I've been focused on the programming side of my game project, but now I've gotten it far enough that I can start switching between art and coding more often I think.

Anyway! The game is going to have still image portraits of the mech pilots you can hire for your crew. I've got my first pilot portrait sketched up:

LT_Jason_Cobb.jpg

This is Lt. Jason "Judge" Cobb. He's a traditional space marine type military man with a secret passion for entomology.

Toasticus on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Your portrait drawing has come a long way in the past 2 months, man! That looks great!

edited July 2015
    Thank you! It's definitely still outside my comfort zone, but I'm having fun with it. :) Got another done today:

SGT_Alison_Sandusky.jpg

Meet Sergeant Alison “Phase” Sandusky, another pilot you will be able to hire. An experienced leader and expert in ballistic weaponry, her interests include mixed martial arts, karaoke, and naval history.

Toasticus on
    edited July 2015
    Managed to get another done today:

Miles_Burnett.jpg

Introducing Miles "Mozart" Burnett, another mech pilot for hire.

A consummate professional with a rock-solid record, Burnett's services are highly sought after. This allows him to be a bit choosy in the assignments he accepts. In the off hours he tends to his extensive music and literature collection, although he can occasionally be found sipping a gin and tonic in the cantina.

Also, I captured a number of steps in the process this go around:

burnett_anim.gif

Toasticus on
    edited July 2015
    (note: full image is 1920x1080)
    Been pounding away at this image for a while, and now I'm calling it done. Pretty sure it's burned into my retinas at this point!

target_concept_final.jpg

This is my visual target for my indie game project. Next steps will be layering user interface prototypes over top and eventually bringing it to life in realtime 3D.

Toasticus on
  • whoreraywhoreray Registered User regular
    Damn, I gotta say that is a very slick visual target shot.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah man, that looks pro. Really love the light. The portraits are getting better too.

edited October 2013
    Hey thanks! These first portraits are pretty straight-laced types, so I'm going to try to make the next set a little more off-kilter and interesting.

I saved out a ton of progress stages on the target concept, which had a sort of unusual progression. I'll have a comp for that up sometime today I think. Meanwhile, I've been working on logo designs for the project and, well, let's just say these are some of the references I've been looking at:
    tumblr_mc3w5rvA9x1rt86ibo1_1280.jpg
    Cybernators-and-Shape-Shifting-Aliens-Invade-Wii-Shop-Channel-2.jpg
    Psychosis.png

Toasticus on
    edited October 2013
    Here's a small preview of the process gif, click for larger size ( 1.4 MB )

target_concept_anim_50pct.gif

Toasticus on
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    This is really great work, I really like your style. Thanks for the process stuff! Always cool and informative to see that kind of thing.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    edited July 2015
    Hey, what do you guys think of these:

env_sketch_structures_02.jpg

Toasticus on
  • SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    Execution wise they all look like good thumbnail designs. Comparing them I think C is the only one that I'm not overly fond of. Maybe if the what I'm guessing is the control tower on the right were more defined. I guess it doesn't feel as finished as the other two. I think if I had to pick then A is my favorite.

edited July 2015
    Thanks Moose. For some reason the tower in C actually ended up my favorite of the set, something about the smooth weird surface appealed to me. Variation A is the one I liked the most overall as well though; there's something about those classic Ralph McQuarrie kind of cylinder sci-fi buildings never gets old for me.

Here's the final version I mishmashed together from parts I liked of each variation:
    env_structures_04_800px.jpg

So right now I'm trying to chase down what I'm going to do for the vegetation in the world. I have an opportunity I want to pursue to really push the fantastical element, but at the same time I want it to be grounded and consistent with the rest of the world. Story wise, my explanation is basically "planetary terraforming technology gone horribly awry," resulting in freakish and uncontrolled plant life that is evocative of Earth and yet surreal and strange at the same time.

Here are some preliminary thumbnails I managed to get through today:
    env_foliage_cover_a-h_01.jpg

env_foliage_cover_i-p_01.jpg

I'm going to go for another round of thumbnails and then start working on simple color studies I think. This particular set of foliage is meant to be large and sturdy enough to be a physical obstacle to the mechs and their weaponry.

Toasticus on