As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Brooklyn Nine-Nine] - The next time you see me I'm going to be all out of orgasms.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Gags like the tent thing and the speedo thing wee silly and didn't really work. More Highlander-type jokes imo fyi hth

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    He cares he just thinks his arrest record covers his behavior

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    it's less that he suddenly cares about his career (i.e. advancement, making rank etc.), and more that he doesn't want his job to be a lot more miserable (e.g. going from detective to meter maid).

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    it's less that he suddenly cares about his career (i.e. advancement, making rank etc.), and more that he doesn't want his job to be a lot more miserable (e.g. going from detective to meter maid).

That would make sense if getting into pissing contests with your boss didn't tend to make your life miserable. Sandberg's character is a walking grounds for termination, but the one time he sweats is also the time where he could easily call his PBA rep and had his "I dont give a fuck who you are" Captain and direct superior on his side. It was dumb, and the brilliant gags like the cock car pulling up are, in my opinion, cheapened by the stupid "tent gags"

edited September 2013
    It's a decent show with a lot of potential. It just needs to tighten up and tone down the ultra-slacker supercop shit.

Deebaser on
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

That would make sense if getting into pissing contests with your boss didn't tend to make your life miserable. Sandberg's character is a walking grounds for termination, but the one time he sweats is also the time where he could easily call his PBA rep and had his "I dont give a fuck who you are" Captain and direct superior on his side. It was dumb, and the brilliant gags like the cock car pulling up are, in my opinion, cheapened by the stupid "tent gags"

Those "tent gags" are part of Andy Samberg's comedy style, you're not going to have him star in a show and not have them.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The jokes are clever, but I'd like them to tone down the absurdities. They're p dumb.

"Oh snap! I don't want to piss off the deputy commissioner. That could kill my career, which I now apparently care about"

Cause if you care about your career you typically do everything you can to antagonize your boss.

That's not how the situation plays out at all. He's always cared about his career, his previous captain just let him goof off in the office and be lazy on the paperwork because his solve rate is higher than everybody else. Just because he goofed off in the office doesn't mean he didn't care if his career suddenly got derailed and he didn't get to solve crimes any more.

• TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    Couldn't get through the first episode. Pretty terrible.

edited September 2013
    It's okay, not everybody can have a good sense of humor. =P I'm just kidding by the way, but that's what you earn when you come in to a thread just to use a one liner to call something terrible without giving any credence to your opinion.

Joshmvii on
  • TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    It's okay, not everybody can have a good sense of humor. =P I'm just kidding by the way, but that's what you earn when you come in to a thread just to use a one liner to call something terrible without giving any credence to your opinion.

Fair enough. I know pilots tend to be rough, but I went fifteen minutes without laughing once. Felt like a low quality and poorly acted Parks and Rec rip-off mixed unironically with boring unrealistic procedural NCIS crime drama.

The female lead (Santiago?) was particularly disappointing. I don't think she was given a joke for the entire 15-minute span I watched. She was there solely as eye candy. And presumably as a future will-they-won't-they romantic interest for Andy Samberg's character.

I'm aware it might have gotten better had I watched longer. But what little I saw was bottom-of-the-comedy-barrel quality.

Could just be me! I'll let you guys ride this one out and give it another shot if it gets a ton of praise.

Talka on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    She's not supposed to be given a joke, she's playing the straight man to Samberg. Although I'm pretty sure the hotsauce gag was in the first 15m of the pilot, so maybe you don't have a sense of humor. Its okay, we wont judge you because of a disability.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I didn't really like her much either in the pilot either, but that was based mostly on her acting/comedic timing. I do hope they give her something better to do; the Captain so far is a better straight man to Samberg, as well as being funny in his own right.

• abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying this so far and I'm looking forward to more. I am curious though on why it keeps getting compared to Parks and Rec. To be fair, I've only seen a few random episodes of P&R, but it comes off as a very different show to me, not the least of which is due to it not being the mockumentary style that P&R and the Office use. Also, what I saw of P&R used awkward humor similar to the Office and that just isn't there at all in Brooklyn 99.

Aside from some crossover with cast and crew, is there really that much similarity between this and Parks and Rec? And on that note, have I not given P&R a fair chance and it's not the same awkward humor of the Office?

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    abotkin wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this so far and I'm looking forward to more. I am curious though on why it keeps getting compared to Parks and Rec. To be fair, I've only seen a few random episodes of P&R, but it comes off as a very different show to me, not the least of which is due to it not being the mockumentary style that P&R and the Office use. Also, what I saw of P&R used awkward humor similar to the Office and that just isn't there at all in Brooklyn 99.

Aside from some crossover with cast and crew, is there really that much similarity between this and Parks and Rec? And on that note, have I not given P&R a fair chance and it's not the same awkward humor of the Office?

Same creators as Parks. And Parks and Rec is not at all about awkwardness once they figured the show out (roughly the sixth episode, definitely by the seventh, which is also the second season premiere). If anything I would describe it as about sincerity.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    That is one thing both shows have in common. It's about good people who are good at their line of work, and the show looks at how a "job" gets in the way of doing what you are good at and hired to do.

Andys character is sort of a reverse Leslie. Still hyper competent but lacking any motivation to constantly improve

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Gags like the tent thing and the speedo thing wee silly and didn't really work. More Highlander-type jokes imo fyi hth

Yeah those were super awful. Less of that, more subtlety please.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    Talka wrote: »

Fair enough. I know pilots tend to be rough, but I went fifteen minutes without laughing once. Felt like a low quality and poorly acted Parks and Rec rip-off mixed unironically with boring unrealistic procedural NCIS crime drama.

The female lead (Santiago?) was particularly disappointing. I don't think she was given a joke for the entire 15-minute span I watched. She was there solely as eye candy. And presumably as a future will-they-won't-they romantic interest for Andy Samberg's character.

I'm aware it might have gotten better had I watched longer. But what little I saw was bottom-of-the-comedy-barrel quality.

Could just be me! I'll let you guys ride this one out and give it another shot if it gets a ton of praise.

I'll give you that the pilot didn't have a ton of laughs. Honestly, part of great ensemble comedy comes from stuff that only is really funny once they establish what each character is about. It's why shows like Parks and Rec take a while to hit their stride, and I don't see this show being different. I laughed a few times in the pilot, but the thing that made me want to continue watching was just that I thought each character was interesting enough to keep watching and together they have the potential to be very funny with their different personalities.

It's Parks and Rec in a police station, made by the same guy. Santiago's character is the straight man to Samberg's goofball, and her funny moments are more subtle. The 2nd episode had her doing that thing where she tries to brag without making it obvious in front of a superior who Samberg is talking to. Stuff like that.

Much like Parks and Rec, it's going to be a show about an office full of people and their goofy personalities. It definitely has good potential after 2 episodes though.

• ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I watched the first two episodes and I thought they were pretty good. Highlander joke was really good, but I also liked the speedo and tent gags.

I do have to say that I really like the fact that the Captain is openly gay and it's only importance is to understand his character and personality and his attitude towards command and the politics that's prevalent amongst the police big wigs. He's not some gay stereotype and his sexuality doesn't define his character (other than the challenges he's had to overcome).

I feel the captain is a very progressive take on an openly gay TV character. And even if I didn't find the show funny, I'd still want to give them props for that, at least.

Zomro on
    I mentioned it in my first post, but yeah, the way they're depicting several of the characters in the show deserves kudos. The captain, Crews' character being physically the embodiment of the test fueled manly man, but being the one who no longer wants to go out in the field because of his twin daughters, not wanting to drive an SUV because they flip, etc. And the female characters in the squad.

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    My gods...when did we start expecting more out of sitcoms than just laughs? It's like coffee shop masturbation in here.

It's funny. I like it. Will watch on hulu. Done.

Now Dads, that show is just shit.

Crayon wrote: »
    My gods...when did we start expecting more out of sitcoms than just laughs? It's like coffee shop masturbation in here.

Since before 1971 at least

All_in_the_family.jpg

No, you're right - god forbid a comedic art-form try to convey more than five-cent dick and fart jokes.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    The thing about stuff like the speedo joke, Andy isn't supposed to be the funny part, it's the chiefs reaction. Andy's joke is played as a joke that misses. His joke isn't the writers joke, that's the characters joke. The writers joke is the captains straight response.

616610-1.png
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    The jokes are clever, but I'd like them to tone down the absurdities. They're p dumb.

"Oh snap! I don't want to piss off the deputy commissioner. That could kill my career, which I now apparently care about"

Cause if you care about your career you typically do everything you can to antagonize your boss.

That's not how the situation plays out at all. He's always cared about his career, his previous captain just let him goof off in the office and be lazy on the paperwork because his solve rate is higher than everybody else. Just because he goofed off in the office doesn't mean he didn't care if his career suddenly got derailed and he didn't get to solve crimes any more.

I agree with you but you have to grant that the show as of yet is still quite shaky on the characterization. But who would expect better in the first two episodes?

I like the show thus far. It's funny and the characters seem to have more debt than I would expect. It still seems to be finding it's footing but I get the feeling that they're going the right way.
    abotkin wrote: »
    And on that note, have I not given P&R a fair chance and it's not the same awkward humor of the Office?

Yeah pretty much. After the first season they go away from the awkward and start being brilliantly funny while showing heart. Season two has some bad bits with the one guy I don't know the name of but he leaves and then they just start being hilarious. I figure they tried to make a sort of clone of The Office and then discovered that that was lame and the people on it could make something way better.

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular

Since before 1971 at least

All_in_the_family.jpg

No, you're right - god forbid a comedic art-form try to convey more than five-cent dick and fart jokes.
    I'm not even sure what you two are arguing about. I have no idea whose side to take!

I enjoyed the tent gag and thought the Captain calling in everyone to "congratulate" Samberg's character was amusing.

I don't care either way about the Captain being gay. I *think* that's a good thing.

Show is solid, enjoyable, is still trying to learn exactly what to do with the female detectives. A little more effective this week? I think once they figure out exactly how to write him, Braugher's deadpan might come near but not quite hit Swanson status.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    as much as I liked the first two eps, it seems like the show is starting to find its footing in the third
    Best cop movie is RoboCop: it has everything I love

- Gratuitous violence
    -

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Blacks can sell drugs. Black can sell drugs!

I wasn't expecting much of this show but I'm really liking it.

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Disrupter wrote: »
    The thing about stuff like the speedo joke, Andy isn't supposed to be the funny part, it's the chiefs reaction. Andy's joke is played as a joke that misses. His joke isn't the writers joke, that's the characters joke. The writers joke is the captains straight response.

Oh. I didn't understand that was a joke, because it wasn't funny.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular

the shittiest.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    This show is definitely in a pmuls

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    Anyone else get a live action Carol/Cheryl vibe from the secretary here?

That's Chelsea Peretti, and she's a hilarious stand-up. She has a podcast called "Call Chelsea Peretti" where she just takes phone calls from people and talks to them. She's seriously one of the funniest people on the planet. She was a writer on Parks and Rec in the early couple seasons which I imagine is where the Mike Schur connection came from. The best part about her on this show is a lot of it is her just being herself. The 2nd episode where she was singing the song to the one detective who wouldn't get out of the chair about how he was going to always be alone was basically just her acting like her real self. She breaks into song randomly all the time on her podcast.
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I also enjoyed Brooklyn 99. Maybe this thread should be converted into the Brooklyn 99 thread?

Good thought. =) I edited the original post and we can just make it about Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

I'm really enjoying the entire cast on Brooklyn 99.
    I don't know. I've never been a fan of hers on Comedy Bang Bang or the standup I've heard. She's probably perfect for this exact role and her writing is good, but I don't think her bits are all that great. I mean, I know the bits are purposefully terrible on the Farts and Procreation episodes, but hers just fall flat compared to Wittels'.

I like the show more than expected. Not perfect but these shows need time to find out what works. Crews, Lo Truglio and Braugher are usually pretty great.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »

the shittiest.

Tried to watch the latest episode.

I lasted 30 seconds before I had to switch it off. True story

They made a stupid Shit joke and I went "30 minutes of that? FUCK NO!"

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    Jibba wrote: »
    Anyone else get a live action Carol/Cheryl vibe from the secretary here?

That's Chelsea Peretti, and she's a hilarious stand-up. She has a podcast called "Call Chelsea Peretti" where she just takes phone calls from people and talks to them. She's seriously one of the funniest people on the planet. She was a writer on Parks and Rec in the early couple seasons which I imagine is where the Mike Schur connection came from. The best part about her on this show is a lot of it is her just being herself. The 2nd episode where she was singing the song to the one detective who wouldn't get out of the chair about how he was going to always be alone was basically just her acting like her real self. She breaks into song randomly all the time on her podcast.
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I also enjoyed Brooklyn 99. Maybe this thread should be converted into the Brooklyn 99 thread?

Good thought. =) I edited the original post and we can just make it about Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

I'm really enjoying the entire cast on Brooklyn 99.
    I don't know. I've never been a fan of hers on Comedy Bang Bang or the standup I've heard. She's probably perfect for this exact role and her writing is good, but I don't think her bits are all that great. I mean, I know the bits are purposefully terrible on the Farts and Procreation episodes, but hers just fall flat compared to Wittels'.

I like the show more than expected. Not perfect but these shows need time to find out what works. Crews, Lo Truglio and Braugher are usually pretty great.

I don't listen to comedy bang bang so can't speak to that, but I love Chelsea Peretti. Her podcast probably makes me laugh more than any other. She's at her best when she's just insulting everybody sarcastically and randomly singing, which is all her podcast is, and most of what her character does so far on Brooklyn nine-nine.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I'm finally getting to see the latest episode.

"I'm a grown man with a grown man's hands and a grown man's brain. I should be able to put together a doll house in less than four hours! I mean, look at this: this a screw with three points and nothing to turn it. And it has wheels! WHAT KIND OF CASTLE HAS WHEELS?!"

Hexmage-PA on
    I'd call that the first consistently funny episode? Mostly because of Braugher's deadpan.

yup, best episode yet IMO

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Fantastic episode.

Really like Scully's deadpan flashback.

Kyougu on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    The Medical Examiner having an apparent fetish for pretending her partners are dead is just the right kind of fucked up.

Also, I find it interesting that so far we've had two guest stars from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Hexmage-PA on
    This ME beats out Woody on Psych for most inappropriate doctor ever hope she comes back