As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BSG:BG] Daybreak Game 1 - Game Over

• KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    If blah is the only player who saw the post, I think the damage is minimal. He might have a slightly better idea of Grunts allegiance, but ehh... the whole thing can probably be wiped by a new destination draw. As far as I can tell, that's the first time anyone interacted with the card that Grunt drew.

Kaneski on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Turn 18: Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Grunt's Ghosts)

Movement Step: Grunt's Ghosts remains in the Brig.
    Action Step: Play Tactics 2 - Launch Scout, targeting the Destination Deck. The roll is successful, and Grunt's Ghosts draws the top card of the deck, then places it at the bottom of the deck.

Though Kat remains locked up in the Brig, she still has supporters among the flight teams who still follow her command. A raptor is sent out for scouting, and with the information gained, an alternate direction for the fleet is suggested.

Turn 19: Lee Adama (Tenek)

Receive Skills Step: Lee Adama (Tenek) draws 1 Tactics, 2 Piloting, and 2 Leadership cards.

The Leadership deck is exhausted after the first draw; the discards have been reshuffled into a new deck for Tenek's second draw.

Current Situation:
    BSGBG-GameD01-T19-1.gif
    Resources: Fuel - 4, Food - 5, Morale - 5, Population - 9.

Jump Preparation: Level 2 - Jump unavailable.
    Pursuit Track: Level 3.

Distance Covered: 5

Galactica: Weapons Control damaged, 1 Centurion (Step 1).
    Pegasus: Engine Room damaged.

Nuke Tokens: 2 remain.
    Quorum Cards: 2 in hand.

Active Quorum Cards:
    Accept Prophecy - Prevent transfer of President title via the Administration location or increase difficulty of Admiral's Quarters checks against the President by 2; card is used once before discarded.

Ship Reserves: 5 Viper Mk II, 2 Raptors, and 1 Assault Raptor available, 4 Viper Mk VIIs damaged.

Characters:
    Samuel "Doc" Cottle (Cutfang) - Tactical Plot (4 Skill Cards)
    President Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) - Quorum Chamber (6 Skill Cards, 1 Mutiny Card, Mutineer)
    Gaius Baltar, Daybreak ver. (Phyphor) - Basestar Bridge (1 Skill Card)
    Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Grunt's Ghosts) - Brig (5 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    Lee Adama, Daybreak ver. (Tenek) - Brig (10 Skill Cards, 1 Mutiny Card, 1 Miracle Token)
    Admiral-CAG Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) - Communications (4 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    D'Anna Biers (Kaneski) - Hangar Deck (1 Skill Card, 1 Miracle Token)

Galactica Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - 1 Basestar.
    Starboard-bow (11 o'clock) - 2 Raiders.
    Starboard-quarter (1 o'clock) - 2 Civilian Ships.
    Aft (3 o'clock) - 3 Civilian Ships.
    Port-quarter (5 o'clock) - 1 Viper Mk. II, 2 Civilian Ships.
    Port-bow (7 o'clock) - None.

Cylon Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - None.
    Starboard-bow (11 o'clock) - 3 Raiders.
    Starboard-quarter (1 o'clock) - 1 Basestar.
    Aft (3 o'clock) - 3 Raiders.
    Port-quarter (5 o'clock) - 1 Raider.
    Port-bow (7 o'clock) - 3 Raiders.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Kaneski wrote: »
    If blah is the only player who saw the post, I think the damage is minimal. He might have a slightly better idea of Grunts allegiance, but ehh... the whole thing can probably be wiped by a new destination draw. As far as I can tell, that's the first time anyone interacted with the card that Grunt drew.

I saw it as well. But I can see "accidentally" disclosing a good destination, to trick me into blind jumping, so I think we still need to check the card.

I can scout to double check and then blind jump if it's good to go.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I placed in on the bottom. Didn't like what else the card did.

I saw it as well. But I can see "accidentally" disclosing a good destination, to trick me into blind jumping, so I think we still need to check the card.

I can scout to double check and then blind jump if it's good to go.

It's been bottomed, so no.. you can't check.

Oh, silly me. Well, the offer stands- I can scout and blind jump, or scout twice, or scout + state of emergency + jump, with an XO, etc.

edited October 2013
    Anyway. Space problem.

Blind jumping now is bad. We need to either clean up space, or draw the Cylon fleet into jumping before you push the button. If you jump now, the cylons will just come back. If, however, we blow both the raiders and the basestar, the CFB will jump in and THEN we can blind to escape.

Kaneski on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Both people with piloting skills are locked up.

Oh, good thinking. I could hit the Raiders with Pegasus now, and nuke the basestar on my next turn...or vice versa, whatever.

edited October 2013
    Oh, silly me. Well, the offer stands- I can scout and blind jump, or scout twice, or scout + state of emergency + jump, with an XO, etc.

Let's check that notion... If Adama XO's you and you scout, finding a good destination... lets run around the circle. You play state of emergency and blind jump. I will use my action to repair good vipers... doc - probably demetrius or consolidate power or some other action; Romo - who knows, probably quorum; Phyphor will definitely activate BSB to get pursuit up (75% chance it will go to 'place 2 civs'), Kat and Adama... who knows.

Then it's your crisis and no matter what happens - the pursuit track will advance. So, all in all - if you state of emergency/blind jump, there's a 75% chance the entire cylon fleet will jump in on us. On my turn, I could command a good viper to AFT, but we'd be losing the civ in port-bow and port-quarter if raiders activate.

EDIT: not to mention that if Adama's the second Cylon, he could waste a lot of cards attempting the brig check on State of Emergency and THEN he still gets to use his special wherever he ends up. I assume Phyphor, my brother-from-another-assembly-vat drew tactics to either try and grab scout for fuel, or assist in the brig check.

Kaneski on
    No, I agree with you. SoE might be worth saving anyway, for now at least.

Both people with piloting skills are locked up.

Yep. Sucks, but I think the secret Cylon among you (probably) is still losing more chance to win, than us hampered by lack of pilots. Brig-brinkmanship is an awesome fun game to watch IRL. On here - pretty good too.

edited October 2013
    Oh, good thinking. I could hit the Raiders with Pegasus now, and nuke the basestar on my next turn...or vice versa, whatever.

Heh, lets not count our chickens yet. @Tenek still has to XO you. Or me... just realised I can repair vipers and use my ability to 50% clear either sexy Adama or hotshot Kat... me returning to the cylons will also slow down the crisis count to 3 humans to 1 Baltar. I will be disabled on my turn, since I need a super-crisis card to get off resurrection ship, but eh... the point is loyalty and crisis count slowing, not efficiency.

Kaneski on
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    I'm guessing the consensus is I don't have a better target for my XO than Cain?

Also, we don't need to farm the Tactics deck anymore. ^_^

edited October 2013
    Tenek wrote: »
    I'm guessing the consensus is I don't have a better target for my XO than Cain?

Also, we don't need to farm the Tactics deck anymore. ^_^

Doc for mission scouting is also good. Cain can Pegasus Main Batteries the 2 raiders on her turn, thus ending the space threat for the foreseeable future. Now that high value cards are in hand and (ostensibly) held by humans, missions are viable.

Edit: Romo is ok as well... Authorization of Brutal Force is never, ever, a bad thing, though that's a mining expedition rather than a definite benefit. As long as the XO is not on me - because that is a waste.

Kaneski on
    We should get me to a decent location. Doc's already where he needs to be; I can (probably?) XO him on my turn. I would send me over to Command or the Main Batteries. Who knows, maybe I'll draw Major Victory and we'd have good reason to nuke the basestar on my turn.

But, honestly, mission scouting is also a good call. Up to you.

edited October 2013
    And if Doc's first mission is good, he can get us more relevant skill cards by using his main ability.

Kaneski on
    OK then. With the idea of XOing people who can use two actions:

Play Ldr 2 - XO on Cottle

If the scout is good, I'm guessing you'll want to draw Ldr from someone.

I can help with Fuel and Morale now, if anyone feels like testing a theory. Just be sure you have SP's to burn.

And surrender the useless-to-doc engineering. Colors shouldn't be mixed (to make spotting cylons easier), so engineering should go to... well... me. You can draw leadership from me. @MrBlarney rule check please: could Doc draw 2 leadership by targeting me with his treatment ability? My response would be 'yes', because I could draw 2 leadership on my turn...

edited October 2013
    I can help with Fuel and Morale now, if anyone feels like testing a theory. Just be sure you have SP's to burn.

Still can't let you out this turn because of the crisis count (we need Cain to ease space problem first), but damn... very tempting to XO you, let you get fuel and then out of the brig - even if you are a Cylon, the fuel gain would offset any possible damage you could do later.

Kaneski on
    Rule check please: could Doc draw 2 leadership by targeting me with his treatment ability? My response would be 'yes', because I could draw 2 leadership on my turn...

Yes, that's a legal play.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Oh, I'll want 2 Ldr, 3 Tac when the time comes.

Still can't let you out this turn because of the crisis count (we need Cain to ease space problem first), but damn... very tempting to XO you, let you get fuel and then out of the brig - even if you are a Cylon, the fuel gain would offset any possible damage you could do later.

That's fine. If you're still worried I have a good second action, hinted at above. I guess as long as we don't have to bury Lion's Head or such because of fuel it's not too critical to use it right now.

Just keep in mind I can't use it until either a) I get out of the Brig b) I don't play an XO on my turn or c) someone XO's me.

• CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Activate Tactical Plot

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
    edited October 2013
    Just looking for distance then to be sure? Before I get sent a card.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
    edited October 2013
    Uh... not really JUST distance... there are a few useful missions. Rebel Basestar, for example, is uber-sweet, and if I use my OPG - I can activate it twice with the supercrisis cards. Considering there are 3 people (myself, Cain and Kat) that have pretty 'meh' OPGs, the rebel basestar would be a much better use of them.

There are other useful mission cards that aren't distance. Your judgement on usefulness - for example, blowing up the resurrection hub at this point is pretty pointless, since we have a revealed Cylon... at best it would be insurance against future super-crisis. Things that remove heavy raiders/basestars/centurions - also not terribly useful. They are good, but currently not a big threat. I can't remember the rest of the missions, but short answer - not just distance.

EDIT: take that back. I believe there's a mission that removes a basestar from the game. That thing would TOTALLY arrest most space threats for the rest of the game.

Kaneski on
    Mission card has been sent to Cutfang.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2013
    Bury it.

Activate Tactical Plot

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
    So in case anyone's changed their mind: Should I stay in here or try to bust out?

At this point... I'm inclined to trust you. I'm still worried about the crisis count & the threats associated with cylon activations, but it's after your turn, and the worst thing you can do for the next 6-7 turns is spike a crisis or two... the help provided almost matches that already, so...

Bury this one too.

Odds are good a useful mission lies on top now.

Dancing Bagel
    edited October 2013

Movement Step: Tenek remains in the Brig.
    Action Step: Play Leadership 2 - Executive Order, targeting Samuel "Doc" Cottle (Cutfang). Cutfang activates the Tactical Plot location, drawing the top card of the Mission deck and placing it at the bottom of the Mission deck. Cutfang activates the Tactical Plot location for his second action, drawing the top card of the Mission deck and placing it at the bottom of the Mission deck.

Tenek, will you use your general ability to activate the Brig location?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2013
    Cutfang wrote: »
    Bury this one too.

Odds are good a useful mission lies on top now.

There are only 8 missions? 2 give distance and I can find a couple that aren't useful, so the rest should be ok. @MrBlarney any objection to me posting the list of missions for discussion?

Kaneski on
    edited October 2013
    I don't think it'll be a problem since the list of Missions has been posted elsewhere on the 'net already and it's a small enough set of cards that discussion is sensible. Of course, Cutfang can't discuss which Missions he did or did not see using specifics.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited October 2013
    Mission List. Like I said... a couple in there aren't useful, so I think if we blind a mission, we'll still get something decent. What's awesome is that 6/8 missions, including all the good ones for us have Tactics as a positive color. The ones that don't - have leadership so we can quite safely mine Demetrius for Ye olde Purples and Greens.

Rescue Hera

Skill Check: 20
    Politics, Tactics, Piloting

Pass: Each Human Player that does not have a miracle token gains 1 miracle token.

Fail: -1 morale and destroy a raptor.

The Search for Home

Skill Check: 25
    Politics, Leadership, Tactics, Engineering

Pass: The card counts as 2 distance. The next time the fleet jumps, place this card next to the earth objective card.

Fail: -1 fuel. Then turn this card facedown on the "Active Mission" space."

Attack on the Colony

Skill Check: 14
    Tactics, Piloting

Pass: Remove all basestars from the board. Then, remove 1 basestar from the game.

Fail: Place 1 basestar in front of Galactica and damage Galactica.

Destroy the Hub

Leadership, Tactics, Piloting

Pass: Flip the Cylon Locations overlay over. If a player is sent to the Ressurection ship location, he is now sent to the hub destroyed location instead.

Fail: -1 Population. Return all vipers in space areas to the reserves and then damage 2 vipers.

The Red Stripes

Skill Check: 16
    Tactics, Piloting, Engineering

Pass: Remove all heavy raiders and centurions from the board. Then, remove 2 heavy raiders and 2 centurions from the game.

Fail: Place 1 heavy raider in front of galactica and 1 centurions at the start of the Boarding Party track.

Needs of the People

Skill Check: 18
    Politics, Leadership, Engineering

Pass: +2 Food, and repair 1 damaged location.

Fail: -1 food, and each human player draws a Treachery card.

Cylon Civil War

Skill Check: 21
    Politics, Leadership, Tactics

Pass: Place the Rebel Basestar game board in play with the basestar allegiance marker set to its human side.

Fail: Place the Rebel Basestar game board in play with the basestar allegiance marker set to its cylon side.

Digging up the Past

Politics, Leadership

Pass: This card counts as 1 distance. The next time the fleet jumps, place this card next to the Earth objective card.

Fail: Shuffle 2 treachery cards into the destiny deck and turn this card facedown on the active mission space.

Kaneski on
    OK, I will not waste a skill check trying to escape.

Action Phase: Tenek declines use of his general ability.

Lee Adama continues to wait in the brig, hopeful for his eventual release. Meanwhile, Doc Cottle helps mission preparations aboard Demetrius.

Turn 20: Helena Cain (Professor Phobos)

Receive Skills Step: Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) draws 2 Leadership and 3 Tactics cards.

Current Situation:
    BSGBG-GameD01-T20-1.gif
    Resources: Fuel - 4, Food - 5, Morale - 5, Population - 9.

Jump Preparation: Level 2 - Jump unavailable.
    Pursuit Track: Level 3.

Distance Covered: 5

Galactica: Weapons Control damaged, 1 Centurion (Step 1).
    Pegasus: Engine Room damaged.

Nuke Tokens: 2 remain.
    Quorum Cards: 2 in hand.

Active Quorum Cards:
    Accept Prophecy - Prevent transfer of President title via the Administration location or increase difficulty of Admiral's Quarters checks against the President by 2; card is used once before discarded.

Ship Reserves: 5 Viper Mk II, 2 Raptors, and 1 Assault Raptor available, 4 Viper Mk VIIs damaged.

Characters:
    Samuel "Doc" Cottle (Cutfang) - Tactical Plot (4 Skill Cards)
    President Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) - Quorum Chamber (6 Skill Cards, 1 Mutiny Card, Mutineer)
    Gaius Baltar, Daybreak ver. (Phyphor) - Basestar Bridge (1 Skill Card)
    Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Grunt's Ghosts) - Brig (5 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    Lee Adama, Daybreak ver. (Tenek) - Brig (9 Skill Cards, 1 Mutiny Card, 1 Miracle Token)
    Admiral-CAG Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) - Communications (9 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    D'Anna Biers (Kaneski) - Hangar Deck (1 Skill Card, 1 Miracle Token)

Galactica Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - 1 Basestar.
    Starboard-bow (11 o'clock) - 2 Raiders.
    Starboard-quarter (1 o'clock) - 2 Civilian Ships.
    Aft (3 o'clock) - 3 Civilian Ships.
    Port-quarter (5 o'clock) - 1 Viper Mk. II, 2 Civilian Ships.
    Port-bow (7 o'clock) - None.

Cylon Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - None.
    Starboard-bow (11 o'clock) - 3 Raiders.
    Starboard-quarter (1 o'clock) - 1 Basestar.
    Aft (3 o'clock) - 3 Raiders.
    Port-quarter (5 o'clock) - 1 Raider.
    Port-bow (7 o'clock) - 3 Raiders.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Won't be able to post until I get out of class. Any ideas? I'm thinking of launching a good old scout after moving a place where I can be EOed nicely.

Mm. Main Batteries, maybe - actually, you could activate them instead and use the scout as your first action from an XO. Command is probably good for someone, though, one activation would let us clear 5:00 at least.