As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla]: Enemy Unknown -- OPERATION: DEVIL'S MOON Complete!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yes

And you will always be beaten by me, Gandalf

:D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    So we can walk further than we can talk?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So we should be able to see most of/all of the dining area, no?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Soldiers prefer to use their inside voices.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular

Absolutely -- if you're trying to communicate quietly. If you don't mind who hears you, you can be heard all the way across the map by posting in-thread. :-D

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    So we should be able to see most of/all of the dining area, no?

15 tiles from each soldier, so yeah.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Squares at F23 and Q23 full or partial cover?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Do we count our own square when determining distances?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Squares at F23 and Q23 full or partial cover?

Can't remember atm whether I stated this in the OP, but I meant to: Not gonna answer clarifications about specific pieces of cover, because that quickly cascades into answering it about the whole map, which is just really time-consuming on top of an already complex sub-game. However, I can tell you this:

1. In general, a wall is High Cover, and things less substantial than walls are Low Cover. In general.

2. Those are garbage cans.

Do we count our own square when determining distances?

No.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Ah ok, garbage is half cover. And yeah it's in the OP I just read over it the first time, sorry.

• Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    Alright this is gonna be awesome.

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It occurs to me that I didn't clarify this because I thought it was obvious, but: When counting your 5 tiles of movement or your 15 tiles of vision, remember that you should NOT count diagonally, only in the 4 cardinal directions. This means that even if you have a clear LOS to something, if it's further than 15 tiles away (or 7-8 diagonally), it won't be visible to you.

EDIT: Beaten by kime's question.

How does LoS work...really in general? So if there is no cover in the way, you vision radius would be 15 squares in each direction, then 14 and one over and so on, 13 and 2, etc? If I'm at a corner, e.g. D24, how far down C would I be able to see? 1 square over to the C row and then 14 up? For that matter, how does cover interact with LoS? I assume high cover would block it, but how about low cover. And if an enemy moves from cover to cover, but would pass within the sight range during their movement, would we catch a glimpse of them moving or would it be all MockXCOM.jpg

Also, can you indicate which squares the windows in the DE14-18 rooms are, since they have about half a square on either side of wall? And for that matter, I believe every single door is in 2 half-spaces

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    For that matter, the K line light cover is also askew by half a cell

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    And is there a wall between the 2 bathroom stalls, or just half cover (and if it is half cover, why does it only extend 1 space, instead of to the stall doors?) (and also, that's another case of it being right in the middle of the cells, leading to...weird geometry)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    That's a lot of separate questions, let me know if I missed anything.

How does LoS work...really in general? So if there is no cover in the way, you vision radius would be 15 squares in each direction, then 14 and one over and so on, 13 and 2, etc?

Exactly. Your sight radius basically makes a diamond shape, in the absence of any cover.

If I'm at a corner, e.g. D24, how far down C would I be able to see? 1 square over to the C row and then 14 up?

Exactly. Imagine -- and this will be familiar to anyone who's played the game -- that when you're taking cover, your LOS "peeks" around that cover. If you're at the corner, you can see down that wall.

For that matter, how does cover interact with LoS? I assume high cover would block it, but how about low cover.

Low cover does not block LoS. Furthermore, a rule of thumb is that LoS is a two-way street -- if you can see them, they can see you, and vice-versa. If you're standing at the corner, anyone who can see the corner can see you.

And if an enemy moves from cover to cover, but would pass within the sight range during their movement, would we catch a glimpse of them moving or would it be all <hidden movement>

It's...very funny you should bring up that image, actually.

But yes, more toward the <hidden movement> end of things. This is what Overwatch is for, pretty much.

Also, can you indicate which squares the windows in the DE14-18 rooms are, since they have about half a square on either side of wall?

Good point. The windows are considered "open" (though they cannot be passed through) on rows 15-17.

And for that matter, I believe every single door is in 2 half-spaces

Yeah, except for the bathrooms. In such cases, the door may be passed through from either of the two squares, and standing in either of the two squares will count as taking cover behind the wall (since it does extend into the square) while peering through the door (if it's already been opened). Kinda like standing at a corner of the building and peeking around it.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    So...to be clear, units can 'magically teleport' from high cover to high cover without anyone noticing unless they're in overwatch?

Talking about magically teleporting, do aliens get a free move to cover whenever we spoit one? :bz

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    So...to be clear, units can 'magically teleport' from high cover to high cover without anyone noticing unless they're in overwatch?

Talking about magically teleporting, do aliens get a free move to cover whenever we spoit one? :bz

Yes. Kinda.

No.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    So say you're at....G18. Can you see all the way around the corner into the main dining room, or would the corner be limited to the 90 degrees around the corner, effectively stopping at the line light cover there.

Or, say there's destroyed cover, and there's just a single untouched pane of high cover in front of you (say, if someone detonated a grenated in the vicinity of the Q18ish corridor, but left the cover next to the (open) door standing. Would the LoS 'converge', but leave a blind spot against the other side of the high cover? (and just to be clear, high cover does block LoS, right? You only answered about the low cover)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, and reguarding the bathroom, what about the 2 stalls in NO7-9, is there a wall of high cover between them? Is there a door access to both cubicles at Q8? How about P8? For that matter, if you're in P8, which cubicle would you be in?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, can you indicate which squares the windows in the DE14-18 rooms are, since they have about half a square on either side of wall?

Good point. The windows are considered "open" (though they cannot be passed through) on rows 15-17.
    So is D14 2 high cover walls then? And a window at E14?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So say you're at....G18. Can you see all the way around the corner into the main dining room, or would the corner be limited to the 90 degrees around the corner, effectively stopping at the line light cover there.

You can't be at G18...?

Or, say there's destroyed cover, and there's just a single untouched pane of high cover in front of you (say, if someone detonated a grenated in the vicinity of the Q18ish corridor, but left the cover next to the (open) door standing. Would the LoS 'converge', but leave a blind spot against the other side of the high cover? (and just to be clear, high cover does block LoS, right? You only answered about the low cover)

The LoS would converge, without a blind spot. Because you can see that corner, you'd be able to see anyone standing at it.

And yes, apart from the "see the corner, see the person standing at it" exception, High Cover blocks LoS.

Oh, and reguarding the bathroom, what about the 2 stalls in NO7-9, is there a wall of high cover between them? Is there a door access to both cubicles at Q8? How about P8? For that matter, if you're in P8, which cubicle would you be in?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

You'd receive cover from both directions. Granted, it's not likely to matter in such close quarters, but it could conceivably become relevant.

I'm going to bed.

...nobody's voted. Why is nobody voting?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sorry, E18, not G. The Corner with 2 sides of full cover.

So P18 has high cover on top and on the bottom, and a door to the right that might as as high cover, and low cover to the left? I guess being in shrodinger's wall between the 2 cubicles does that :P

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So it seems to me like we want a grenade at R4 and then try to attack the kitchen area from there and the south?

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Are Egos and Megafrost at the end of the car's halfcover or is there another square of it in the T column (4 squares long altogether). Ditto for the Vert-trust car, which clearly looks shorter, but also appears to be front alighed (less half a cell)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, instead of coming up with esoteric examples of LoS, I coul have jsut used a simpler one that already exists. How far around the corner can megafrost see? E.G. Can he see all the way to the end of the top door (K3)?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anyway, this is what is prompting the questions

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    [
    ...nobody's voted. Why is nobody voting?

you know what we're all thinking
    Game-Over-Man-Game-Over.jpg
    They got THE WIZARDS, man!

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Fine. If we're voting in the dark?

Egos.

We're doing this Russian style. Bullet to the head for the first man who breaks. Good for morale!

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Can we open doors without either moving through them, or firing through them? Also, invalid orders default to hunker down, right? Is that before everything else with the people who didn't submit orders, or does the putting them to the side mean that you're double penalized and go last. Also, what about partially invalid orders, e.g. moving is fine, but the shooty target is not there, or the movement is invalid, but the attack target is also able to be attacked without moving?

Also, overwatch only triggers on movement not on, say, attacks from a stationary target?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You can't edit vote posts @chiasaur11

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Ah, noted.

I put it in green on accident, so I tried to fix. Should I just do a new one or what?

• Options
    Yeah, just do a new one

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Ah, noted.

I put it in green on accident, so I tried to fix. Should I just do a new one or what?

no, you shouldn't

avatar%20men%20actors%20stephen%20lang%205074x3240%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperno.com_9.jpg

• Options
    Egos

Reminding me that "Avatar" is a film that exists is a capital offense.

• Options
    hey, Stephen Lang was cool in that.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    We should probably vote kime out before he gets a chance to murder us all.

• Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    Ok, so, my squad, change of plans, regroup towards the point we dropped from our deployment plan when the numbers were clarified. With comms down we're going to have to co-ordinate on the fly. If you've already submitted your orders, whelp... sorry?

We Stand Ready
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Ebum , I figure this is a good place to renew our The Ohio State University/Team Up North rivalry.

Have at thee!

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    MikeyCTS, because I like him the best.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So: it was 7 / 7 / 6 / 6.

Obi, are you in the center-right group or the lower-right group?

Top right:
    Egos, Megafrost, Mill, Vertroue, Turanos, Trust

Center right:
    Flarne, SeGa, Assuran, Shalmelo, IW, Peccavi, Obi

Lower right:
    Mikey, Cyth, kime, T_A, SLyM, jdark

Lower left (Alpha Squad):
    Auralynx, undermono, Grimmy, ebum, chiasaur, Buddha, Spoit.

At least one person in each of those groups is presumably mafia, which makes things sorta-easier. I'd guess there are 6 of them total, which would be a little high but not unreasonable. This doesn't help us figure out who they are, and neither does checking distribution vs. the player list, which I initially thought it might, but having done the work I'm putting it out there.

Collectively, do we have a plan?

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png