As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla]: Enemy Unknown -- OPERATION: DEVIL'S MOON Complete!

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    While the desire to vote kime is great, I got Day 1'd by mafia RNG last time and I'm a little put out by it :P

Wait, jpants isn't playing in this one dammit!

kime it is!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Collectively, do we have a plan?

A tactical one? Nope.

However: Top Right Squad, you might want to have someone get LOS down the north edge of the building. Aliens could try to filter out into the NW quadrant and flank us, or I guess G_T_C could have started a couple of mind controlled former xcom soldiers (the Wizards who did it) up there. It looks like Lower Right is well-positioned to get in the windows in the south, or at least to overwatch and make sure that anything that walks into the south room dies.

• undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Oh, okay, there's a center-right squad.

I was tired when day 1 started and I had a hard time convincing myself that a quarter of the players weren't taken out. Even when I was finally able to prove that the same number of players were on the map as had signed up, I couldn't figure out where Wizard Squad went.

But everything makes sense now. Thanks, sleep.

undergroundmonorail on
    Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    The Anonymous for day 1 reasons.

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Is that bag of dicks Farangu playing? No?

Shit, that makes my vote harder.

I'm pretty sure Buddha73 has pissed me off at some point.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    kime because I blame him for my preventing my cuisine from reigning supreme in the last phalla. Also the whole cake thing was a lie.

@Trust, already submitted my orders, but then we probably need a few people on overwatch anyways; especially, keeping an eye on the rear.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    When will you learn, Mill? Everything I say is a lie!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    @auralynx

I'm in the center right group.

Should we limit our conversation about tactics to our immediate squad members? Or should we just talk about it here?

I think the mafia will piece together our plan through squad comms anyways, so we might as well develop a plan in thread.

Additionally, any idea what the mafia wincon might be?

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Uh, about squad comms: aren't we now limited to only talking to people within 3 squares now? If so, that makes us less coordinated, but if the mafia are among is, they will have less information.

This has probably already been brought up, but since Alien Mind Control is a Pretty Major Thing in Xcom, we should probably avoid disclosing our Will scores.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    We are indeed restricted on pm targets, which turns pm conversations into a game of telephone with one side having a strong incentive to distort conversations.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Are Egos and Megafrost at the end of the car's halfcover or is there another square of it in the T column (4 squares long altogether). Ditto for the Vert-trust car, which clearly looks shorter, but also appears to be front alighed (less half a cell)

They're at the end.
    Also, instead of coming up with esoteric examples of LoS, I coul have jsut used a simpler one that already exists. How far around the corner can megafrost see? E.G. Can he see all the way to the end of the top door (K3)?

He can't see the door at K3, the corner of the building obscures it.
    Can we open doors without either moving through them, or firing through them? Also, invalid orders default to hunker down, right? Is that before everything else with the people who didn't submit orders, or does the putting them to the side mean that you're double penalized and go last. Also, what about partially invalid orders, e.g. moving is fine, but the shooty target is not there, or the movement is invalid, but the attack target is also able to be attacked without moving?

Also, overwatch only triggers on movement not on, say, attacks from a stationary target?

Doors are only opened by:

1. passing through them, or
    2. shooting through them at a target being "spotted" for you by another soldier.

Invalid orders do not default to hunker down. Lack of orders defaults to hunker down, but invalid orders are simply treated as failed actions.

In the case where some of your orders can be enacted, but not all, you will complete any actions that were valid. So like...if you try to dash across the room (move, and then move) but your second move is invalid, you will still make the first move -- and thus might be stranded in the middle of the room.

Overwatch only triggers on movement.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Auralynx wrote: »
    We are indeed restricted on pm targets, which turns pm conversations into a game of telephone with one side having a strong incentive to distort conversations.

True. If conversations get distorted, though, we've got a pretty good lead on mafia.

Uh, and I guess Iron Weasel because [INSERT HUMOROUS BUT SPECIOUS REASONING HERE], that's why.

As soon as we're within 3 squares of one another, I will have some choice words for you, Grimmy.

Choice.
    Words.

Currently Playing:
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    OK, our PM called us Alpha Squad in the southwest. Arbitrarily naming things counterclockwise from there, Beta in the SE, Gamma in the East, and Delta in the NW, I offer two plans:

1) Alpha and Beta occupy the dining area, establishing sight on the area behind the registers and then approaching it to start going through the kitchen. Gamma comes in through that door on the right and flanks the behind the register areas. Once that's clear, they clear the bathrooms. Delta hopefully has some kind of explosive, breaches the NE wall without using the door, and limits the strategic options of the aliens.

2) A slower plan where Alpha makes sure no aliens grenade and escape from the NW corner. Beta again occupies the dining area, Gamma clears the bathrooms, and Delta races to the northern door.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Because going back a couple of pages is kind of a pain:

Day1_zps9e843afb.jpg

Currently Visible Units:
    Assuran--T19
    Auralynx--E30
    Buddha--F37
    Chiasaur--F36
    Cythraul--Q35
    Ebum--H38
    Egos--U6
    Flarne--V19
    GrimmyTOA--F34
    Iron Weasel--T25
    jdarksun--R28
    kime--R31
    Megafrost--U8
    Mikey CTS--R29
    Mill--X5
    ObiFett--X27
    Peccavi--S18
    SeGaTai--T21
    shalmelo--T23
    SLyM--R32
    Spoit--E27
    The Anonymous--Q34
    Trust--W8
    Turanos--W14
    undergroundmonorail--E33
    Vertroue--U14

Day 1 has begun. Submit your orders here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cGtO7_EI8Zkld13Ec6U4cQH3iG8RHua5WwwwE3XB4Ko/viewform

Currently Playing:
    A reminder: Only the first orders you submit each day will be accepted -- any revisions or resubmissions are ignored.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Are Egos and Megafrost at the end of the car's halfcover or is there another square of it in the T column (4 squares long altogether). Ditto for the Vert-trust car, which clearly looks shorter, but also appears to be front alighed (less half a cell)

They're at the end.
    Also, instead of coming up with esoteric examples of LoS, I coul have jsut used a simpler one that already exists. How far around the corner can megafrost see? E.G. Can he see all the way to the end of the top door (K3)?

Can we open doors without either moving through them, or firing through them? Also, invalid orders default to hunker down, right? Is that before everything else with the people who didn't submit orders, or does the putting them to the side mean that you're double penalized and go last. Also, what about partially invalid orders, e.g. moving is fine, but the shooty target is not there, or the movement is invalid, but the attack target is also able to be attacked without moving?

Also, overwatch only triggers on movement not on, say, attacks from a stationary target?

2. shooting through them at a target being "spotted" for you by another soldier.

Invalid orders do not default to hunker down. Lack of orders defaults to hunker down, but invalid orders are simply treated as failed actions.

In the case where some of your orders can be enacted, but not all, you will complete any actions that were valid. So like...if you try to dash across the room (move, and then move) but your second move is invalid, you will still make the first move -- and thus might be stranded in the middle of the room.

How about L3 then? Basically, LoS, how does it work?

What if the 1st move order is invalid, but the 2nd one is valid. Are you standing there drooling like an idiot, instead just taking a step around it?

steam_sig.png
    As soon as we're within 3 squares of one another, I will have some choice words for you, Grimmy.

Choice.
    Words.

Is one of them love? That's my word of choice.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Oh hey, it's IW! I'd vote for you to be the prettiest princes, but I'm kind of already commited voting for Buddha. Sorry. :(<3
    Prettiest Princess phalla? Yes, I will make it happen.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //

They're at the end.

How about L3 then? Basically, LoS, how does it work?

What if the 1st move order is invalid, but the 2nd one is valid. Are you standing there drooling like an idiot, instead just taking a step around it?

Line of Sight: If there is an obstruction along the shortest path between you and X, or if X is further than 15 tiles away, you cannot see X.

I'm trying hard to imagine a scenario where your 1st move wouldn't go through, but your 2nd move remained valid. Unless you were, like, running in circles.

In any case, if your 1st move order is invalid, it's ignored. If your 2nd order remains valid after ignoring the 1st one, it will be enacted. Otherwise, it will also be ignored.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    We need to secure the perimeter before we breach the building. The northwest exterior and northern wall is not visible and therefore not clear. My proposed plan:

The northeast team should head up north to clear the northern area and ensure we don't get flanked. The southwest team should head north and start to clear the northwest exterior, while also keeping a lockdown on the doors. Southeast keeps a view on the dining room and east moves up to get ready to breach the doors.

It is now my goal to submit the earliest orders every day :P

Steam profile
    If you shoot at someone or something and miss, is there a hilarious chance of hitting the person behind/next to the target? Also, does range affect aim?

Steam
    Is this the most amount of clarifications asked in the first 5 pages of any phalla ever?

kime wrote: »

You mean, you didn't already submit your orders?

/shock

Steam
    Line of Sight: If there is an obstruction along the shortest path between you and X, or if X is further than 15 tiles away, you cannot see X.

I'm trying hard to imagine a scenario where your 1st move wouldn't go through, but your 2nd move remained valid. Unless you were, like, running in circles.

In any case, if your 1st move order is invalid, it's ignored. If your 2nd order remains valid after ignoring the 1st one, it will be enacted. Otherwise, it will also be ignored.

What defines the shortest path though? Even if you draw a line between the 2 squares, how do you tell which ones are blocked and which ones aren't?

I meant, like, you're moving from one side of the dining room to the other, but your fist move order happens to be in an occupied space. the 2nd move wouldn't be somewhere accessible from your initial move location, but there would exists a continuum of 1st movement orders which aren't invalid.

steam_sig.png
    Gandalf is going to kill himself.

Or alternately, all of us.

The problem with going to the NW is there's really no safe way to get up there. But there's also no door on the NW side of the building to flank the inside teams. I feel like we keep someone on overwatch at D24 and clear the NW from the north. It's going to be WAY too slow if we clear it before we breach.

So...overwatch is pretty much worthless then right? You'd need to submit it way at the beginning for the day, meaning you can't really coordinate with any one, and then you have a hefty penalty which makes it like a coin flip to hit

steam_sig.png
    Cythraul wrote: »
    kime wrote: »

You mean, you didn't already submit your orders?

/shock

Of course I did. I was just now declaring my intent to win every day.

Steam profile
    So...overwatch is pretty much worthless then right? You'd need to submit it way at the beginning for the day, meaning you can't really coordinate with any one, and then you have a hefty penalty which makes it like a coin flip to hit

Well, if we leave someone with decent aim and a scope to camp an area they'd be able to lock it down relatively well. There'd be no harm in them submitting orders early, and their chance to hit would still be quite high.

The problem with going to the NW is there's really no safe way to get up there. But there's also no door on the NW side of the building to flank the inside teams. I feel like we keep someone on overwatch at D24 and clear the NW from the north. It's going to be WAY too slow if we clear it before we breach.

If you don't do things WAY too slow in XCOM then you aren't doing it right.

But you do make a good point especially since this is phalla and in three days (the amount of time it would probably take to clear the northwest exterior) things can and most likely will be drastically different.

Do we just go balls out then? Northeast team storms the northern door. East team heads towards the eastern door and gets ready to breach the next day. Southeast crashes through the windows and sets up positions inside the dining room. Southwest covers their western flank with a couple on overwatch looking down the corridor while the remaining get ready to breach the western doors.

I still prefer slow and steady, because that's how I play XCOM and it means less deaths which means a longer game and longer games favor the village.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I think once we have some sight inside the building we will have a better idea about how quickly we can safely move into, so today we need as much safe sightline into the building as possible.

PSN SeGaTai
    I think we can likely afford to take today slowly.

Move into position along the East edge, get LOS along the West and North walls. The only place I'd advocate a quick breach is in the SE. Lets get control of that Southern room so that when the Center-East and Soutt-West teams breach they know that they're only dealing with the inhabitants of one small room apiece.

We have as many safe sightlines into the building as possible right now. The kitchen, backrooms, north exterior, and northwest exterior are the only blackout areas we have and there are not safe sightlines into them.

Simplest version of my issue with the slow clear of the NW plan is an alien at D13 absolutely murders any squad approaching from the south. We'd have to flank it, and then get back in position to breach, but we'd have to have left dudes outside in the cleared areas so aliens didn't sneak behind us. It's too spread out, which is even more death than playing fast is.

What I'd really like is grenades at R4, C/D16, and E/F8 to make us a bit more flexible. I think those should be best used as wall destruction, not damaging aliens. Unless we come on a great situation as far as that goes.

Cythraul wrote: »
    If you shoot at someone or something and miss, is there a hilarious chance of hitting the person behind/next to the target? Also, does range affect aim?

No to both of these, for the sake of my sanity. It's on the list of things I'd like to incorporate for sequels.
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Is this the most amount of clarifications asked in the first 5 pages of any phalla ever?

CD.

Gods that felt good.

What defines the shortest path though? Even if you draw a line between the 2 squares, how do you tell which ones are blocked and which ones aren't?

I meant, like, you're moving from one side of the dining room to the other, but your fist move order happens to be in an occupied space. the 2nd move wouldn't be somewhere accessible from your initial move location, but there would exists a continuum of 1st movement orders which aren't invalid.

I mean...draw a line from your location to the corner of any obstructions. Now, you can see anyone standing at that corner, and behind them a cone of "obscured area" gradually expands. If you find yourself in a situation where it's absolutely crucial, and absolutely unclear whether you can see a thing, flag me down with a PM and ask.

For the movement question, it doesn't matter what you could have put in, only what you did put in. You cannot end a movement action on an occupied tile, even if that tile is going to become unoccupied later in the round, and even if your second action is going to take you out of that tile. So even if there was a set of orders you could have put in that would have gotten you to your target, if the ones you actually entered don't work when your turn comes up,

You can, however, move through an occupied tile, since otherwise we'd end up with clusters of soldiers stumbling into each other in the halls.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    @enlightenedbum -- has chiasaur been in contact with you yet today?

I'll just say that the semantic difference between passing through an occupied space as part of a single move action but not as a double move is silly. Unless you have everything automated. In which case it's still kind of silly

steam_sig.png