As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving!

1939495969799»

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Our banks have extraordinarily stringent lending requirements so while the pre-approval stage for the mortgage was hellish, I don't anticipate much happening past this point.

In other house news, they finally poured our driveway. Thank god, if I were stuck parking on the street for an entire winter I would have been a little unhappy.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    @tynic I'm sorry you're not enjoying England :(

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dawwww sorry @Liiya & @smof. It's not really England's fault.

... Well, apart from the weather.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Last year my wife and I finished up the interior work on our house and moved in with the plan to start doing the exterior work this summer & fall.

One thing we wanted to do was get a fence put up around the entire backyard.  So we get the survey done.  They come out, do all the checks and put in the flags and deliver us the survey documents.  It turns out our neighbors were drastically overestimating the size of their property.

We have the fence guys out a couple weeks later to mark out the fence lines for the permit application.

Our neighbor comes buy and tells us that we can't build the fence because it's too close to his shed and his pool.

I make a couple of calls to the city and it turns out he never applied for permits for his pool or his shed and they are both within about a foot of the property line and completely out of code on the setbacks.

Now do I just ignore him and put up the fence anyways or call the inspector back and have them make our neighbor move both of them?  The city said we can do either of them.

But I do know our neighbor is going to be pissed.  And he works for the city, so it's going to be a pain if we end up having the city pull an inspection on him.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Last year my wife and I finished up the interior work on our house and moved in with the plan to start doing the exterior work this summer & fall.

One thing we wanted to do was get a fence put up around the entire backyard.  So we get the survey done.  They come out, do all the checks and put in the flags and deliver us the survey documents.  It turns out our neighbors were drastically overestimating the size of their property.

We have the fence guys out a couple weeks later to mark out the fence lines for the permit application.

Our neighbor comes buy and tells us that we can't build the fence because it's too close to his shed and his pool.

I make a couple of calls to the city and it turns out he never applied for permits for his pool or his shed and they are both within about a foot of the property line and completely out of code on the setbacks.

Now do I just ignore him and put up the fence anyways or call the inspector back and have them make our neighbor move both of them?  The city said we can do either of them.

But I do know our neighbor is going to be pissed.  And he works for the city, so it's going to be a pain if we end up having the city pull an inspection on him.

fuck him and his pool

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Build yo fence! If he works for the city he should have known better and gotten a proper survey done

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I would say build it and let him talk with the city about how close his shed/pool are to your shiny new fence, which is on the actual property line and not the fictional one he made up when he build his shed and pool.

Then again I have a bit of a bad history with neighbors so you should probably not take my advice!

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Yup, build that fence.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    America is where fuck the neighbors, those assholes

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Defend your property rights.

Burn down his shed.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    Annex his shed and pool.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    enfold his feeble lands into your own glorious kingdom. destroy everything that breathes and pile their skulls in a heap as a warning to all who would dare defy your awesome and terrible will.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Drop a deuce in his pool.

And his shed.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Build the fence. If he wants to fight it, he's going to have no legs to stand on.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    In a situation like that

you need to go on the offencive.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    There is literally no situation here where you shouldn't build that fence on the property line.

If you don't build it and some kid visits your house, they could access that pool and maybe drown. It also makes your house less secure and prevents you from having pets and stuff.

If you do build it, but you build it where he wants you to, you are denying yourself access to land you paid for. How is that fair?

The dude has gone and fucked up big time. I'd say go back to the council, get their finding in writing then go to your neighbor and tell him that you have checked with the council, and you are well within your rights to place the fence there. At this stage you might also want him to know that you didn't report him or anything but the fence is going up.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Or Metz' plan sounds good too.

• Options
    I will add, that at least in Australia. There are laws in place, where if you can prove continued use of the property for a long period of time (I think it is 12 years) it legally becomes yours. So check that out as well.

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Well the joys of home ownership. On Friday just as my wife was about to heat up food for a bunch of her co-workers to come over, the oven died. The replacement part is way too expensive to bother putting into an older stove so we ordered a new one on Sunday for $450.

I was hoping this one would last until we decided to redo the kitchen and run gas lines in for a new fancy stove :(

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    We closed on our new house! We are having painting and landscaping done this week and will be moving in next week.

It's been 6 months of stress but our new house is so great. I can't wait to set up everything!

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    Excellent news.

My wife keeps getting nervous we'll end up like this
    homeownership.png

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    having a yard to go with my dogs is already paying huge dividends

doesn't hurt that it's cooling down in the first week of living in it, so going out in the morning in watching my dogs pee is not that as unpleasant as it sounds

my body is soar from lifting boxes down two flights of stairs of my old apartment

i still have to make at least two trips back to retrieve knickknacks

my biggest house need right now is ant poison. we have a variety of ants nesting outside the house and they routinely make it in, especially in the master bathroom

we have big large ants, which appear to just be lost, and then we also have very tiny ants which seem to enjoy cat food

i need something that's pet safe for the back yard though

• Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    So I decided that I want to use ALL of our patio and not give up a large portion of it to the monstrous grill I bought. I decided to go ahead and just make a nice sized concrete slab barely large than the base, so I can set the grill on there. 4 bags of concrete was only $13 total. The only thing I will do different next time is to dig out further and actually use wood to frame it in. The red clay here is so stiff and moldable, though, that I was able to use it as a form. I just want a little more precision next time. I only did a small slab because it will be torn out when we eventually extend the patio clear across another 10 feet or so. :D

But hey; First time working with concrete and it worked well! Now I Just need to pour two more slabs; one underneath the outside water tap and another over by the fence gate to put my garbage cans on. Easy peasy!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Is there a new moving thread? My new home has been a blessing. Tonight I have the first trick or treaters in almost two decades. So cute!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos