As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tom Clancy Dead at 66

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
edited October 2013 in Social Entropy++
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/us/tom-clancy-obit/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
131002103459-03-tom-clancy-horizontal-gallery.jpg
From Wikipedia
Thomas Leo "Tom" Clancy, Jr. (April 12, 1947 – October 1, 2013)[1][2] was an American author best known for his technically detailed espionage and military science storylines that are set during and in the aftermath of the Cold War, along with video games which bear his name for licensing and promotional purposes. His name was also a brand for similar movie scripts written by ghost writers and many series of non-fiction books on military subjects and merged biographies of key leaders. He was Vice Chairman of Community Activities and Public Affairs, as well as a part-owner of the Baltimore Orioles
In 1996, Clancy co-founded the video game developer Red Storm Entertainment and ever since he has had his name on several of Red Storm's most successful games. Red Storm was later bought by publisher Ubisoft Entertainment, which continued to use the Clancy name, though the extent of Clancy's actual involvement with creation of the games and development of intellectual properties, if any, was unclear. This game series includes:
The Hunt for Red October (1987): Submarine simulation loosely based on the novel of the same name. Produced by Grandslam Entertainment for IBM PC, C64, and Amiga.
Red Storm Rising (1988): Submarine sim loosely based on the novel of the same name. Produced by MicroProse for IBM PC, C64, and Amiga.
The Hunt for Red October (1990): Submarine sim based on the movie of the same name. Produced by Grandslam Entertainment for Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS, ZX Spectrum.
The Hunt for Red October (1990): Submarine sim based on the movie of the same name. Produced for Nintendo Entertainment System, Game Boy, and Super NES.
SSN (1996): Submarine sim based on the novel of the same name. Produced by Simon & Schuster Interactive for IBM PC.
ruthless.com (1998) by Red Storm Entertainment: Strategy game based loosely on the book of the same name.
Shadow Watch (2000): Turn-based strategy based on the Power Play novel of the same name.[18]
The Sum of All Fears (2002): Tactical first-person shooter similar in style to Rainbow Six, but based on the Ghost Recon engine. The plot is based on the movie of the same name. Produced by Ubisoft for the IBM PC and Nintendo GameCube system.
Rainbow Six series: Squad-based first-person shooters, based on the novel of the same name, typically taking place in closed urban environments. 18 Rainbow Six games have been produced so far.
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (1998)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Eagle Watch (1999)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear (1999)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Urban Operations (2000)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Covert Operations Essentials (2000)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Take-Down – Missions in Korea (2001)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Black Thorn (2001)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lone Wolf (2002)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (2003)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow (2004)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Athena Sword (2004)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Iron Wrath (2005)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown (2005)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Critical Hour (2006)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (2006)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (2008)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Shadow Vanguard (2011)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6: Patriots (2013)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon series: Squad-based first- and third-person shooters. As opposed to the Rainbow Six games, Ghost Recon usually takes place in larger, outdoor environments. There have been 13 Ghost Recon games so far.
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (2001)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Desert Siege (2003)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Island Thunder (2003)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm (2004)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 (2004)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike (2005)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (2006)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (2007)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Predator (2010)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wii (2010)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (2011)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (2012)[19]
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online (2012)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series: Third person stealth games, lately spawned a line of books written by a series of different authors, all writing under the pseudonym David Michaels.
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (2002)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (2004)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (2005)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Essentials (2006)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (2006)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (2010)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist (2013)
EndWar series: Franchise set in a speculative World War III, taking place in 2020.
Tom Clancy's EndWar (2008)
Tom Clancy's EndWar 2 (TBA)

I'm going to watch Hunt for the Red October today and finally beat the only ghost recon game I own.

Pour one out.

RoyceSraphim on

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I just found this out too. I has a sad face.
    We should make this the new Books and reading thread in his honor.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    man

man

i read rainbow six so many times as a kid

adios, you crazy motherfucker

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Red October sucks me in as bad as Star Wars, everything is just on point in the movie and I take it as a sign of good writing and good directing. But since his name is on it, I pin it to Clancy.

edit: Just read the wiki to see how it differed from the book and my skin tingled.

RoyceSraphim on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed Rainbow Six when I was a teen. Never got into his other books very far (The Bear and the Dragon got a bit racist and xenophobic for me and I stopped reading about halfway through) but the man was pretty good at writing about fictitious military operations.

At least his name, owned by Ubisoft, will live on, making him practically immortal.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I would like to have seen Montana

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    unfortunately the new UbiSoft games suck hard

but man those first generations of Rainbow Six were godlike

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Clancys are those books that occasionally I will go and re-read in sequence every couple of years or so. Reading them as a teenager really cemented my love of a shared continuity in literature or tv/movies, which even now will increase my enjoyment of something.

Also Rogue Spear was the tits, apart from those insane sneaking missions.

Man wrote some entertaining books and spun off a whole bunch of decent games and films, next time Red October comes on Film4, I will watch it extra hard.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Our gamer chemistry teacher had a small lan network in the class, I go there for lunch and catch 4 guys playing on of the rainbow six games.

They are doing the hospital level and make their way through
    Both teams put C4 on both sides of the same door and blow everyone straight to kingdom come.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I only made it through two of his books-- the crazy vigilante one and Rainbox Six, but I did play a couple Rainbow Six games and three or four Splinter Cell games.

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I will play the hell out of The Division in his honor. Sad times indeed.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the new splinter cell is baller as hell

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Rainbow Six Vegas terrorist hunt mode was the best co-op ever in its time.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I am gonna get a Red October/Patriot Games/Clear and Present Danger marathon together this weekend, I think

they will tremble at the shoundsh of our shilensh

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i'm surprised nowadays when i hear people pass away under the age of 70. i mean, i know it happens a lot, but still.

RIP Mr. Clancy.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I am gonna get a Red October/Patriot Games/Clear and Present Danger marathon together this weekend, I think
    Have it at a pub, bring whiskey

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Splinter Cell as a franchise is just his named slapped on the box.

I think he eventually wrote a Splinter Cell book, but that might have been a ghostwriter.

YL9WnCY.png
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Splinter Cell as a franchise is just his named slapped on the box.

I think he eventually wrote a Splinter Cell book, but that might have been a ghostwriter.

according to the ultra-reliable wikipedia, the Splinter Cell books, written after the games, are done by ghost writers

However, given the volume of Tom Clancy material out there, it's fair to say that even though Tom himself probably never even booted up a game once

His fingerprint is on a lot of these games

• DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Clancy did a commentary for The Sum of All Fears where he spends most of his time making fun of the movie and yelling at the director for making things unrealistic. It's pretty great.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Rainbox Six was the first "adult" book I ever read, back when I was 12. I picked it up from my parents' collection because I was given the Rainbox Six PC game for Christmas and I thought it would be cool. It fucking was, even though I skipped over a lot of the "boring talky" parts.
    Anyway, the Jack Ryan books were my favorite and I thought it was great to see recurring characters doing badass things: something I did not see much of in books like Goosebumbs. Sorry to see Clancy go.

• Temporal ParadoxTemporal Paradox Registered User regular
    RIP Tom Clancy. Along with John Grisham and Michael Crichton, cemented my love of reading in school. I find myself rereading their novels constantly.

And yes, played the fuck out of Rainbow Six with my buddies. So much fun.

• LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    I would like to have seen Montana

all the feels. time to rewatch Red October

Tom Clancy helped create so many of my early multiplayer gaming memories. Ghost Recon 2 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory both got nearly as much playtime on the original Xbox Live for me as Halo 2

hopefully The Division will be good

f24GSaF.jpg
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Probably my favorite Tom Clancy book was Without Remorse, because it's not really full of international intrigue, it's about a special forces guy who goes on a roaring rampage of revenge against the drug gang that
    murdered his girlfriend.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    His funeral will get out of control. It will get out of control and we will be lucky to live through it.

/66 is way too early for someone with his talent.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Recently rewatched Hunt for Red October, am perpetually impressed with it as both a film and a piece of writing

Never made it all the way through the book, honestly. Maybe it's time to correct that

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    i'm still waiting for my Rainbow Six movie/HBO miniseries

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Dang. Can't say I liked his writing, but he certainly knew how to pump a novel out

Spoiler for bad joke
    Tom Clancy isn't dead. He's just doing some ghost recon.

l3icwZV.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    i'm still waiting for my Rainbow Six movie/HBO miniseries

Oh man this would be great.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Probably my favorite Tom Clancy book was Without Remorse, because it's not really full of international intrigue, it's about a special forces guy who goes on a roaring rampage of revenge against the drug gang that
    murdered his girlfriend.

I'm kinda surprised that this one was never made into a movie, considering how often its cited as one of his best works and is more or less self-contained.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Tom Clancy Memorial Netforce Thread

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well, the Death Wish movies were basically ripped from Without Remorse werent they?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    murdered his girlfriend.

Without remorse is an awesome book. The insane stuff he does is worth the read alone.

Oh shit Without Remorse was so badass

I think there is a movie in early development but no solid news on it yet

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Tom Clancy was a guy who wrote pretty entertaining Cold War technothrillers.

He was less good at anything after the Cold War because he became rather racist.

But man, I love Patriot Games. And Cardinal of the Kremlin.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Without Remorse is definitely my favorite Clancy book, 14 year old me thought it was the most badass thing he'd ever read.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Tom Clancy was a guy who wrote pretty entertaining Cold War technothrillers.

He was less good at anything after the Cold War because he became rather racist.

But man, I love Patriot Games. And Cardinal of the Kremlin.

Yeah.

The Bear and The Dragon was kinda uncomfortable to read.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    speaking of, here's the poster for the new movie

ISL0hpR.jpg

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Is that Chris Pine?

that is the worst title i have ever seen

holy shit it's bad

Q1e6oi8.gif
    Usagi wrote: »
    Is that Chris Pine?

Yarp