As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Did somebody say yoga? GTA V. Join Fancy Fellows and play online.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I half wish I had made a female avatar seeing how good they look next to my generic white guy but knowing that they're going to be speaking with my baritone voice made me keep it male.

This family genetics system is also awful at creating mixed-race characters.

• SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I can't get past "Launching online session" for the first mission.

Fuck guess I'm going to have to DO things today.

Try starting it as a solo session to at least get past it.

t9migZb.jpg
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I half wish I had made a female avatar seeing how good they look next to my generic white guy but knowing that they're going to be speaking with my baritone voice made me keep it male.

This family genetics system is also awful at creating mixed-race characters.

Yeah, you basically end up matching the darkest skin tone among all your ancestors.

Going to try this again now, fingers crossed.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    I managed to churn out an actual human with that crazy creation system:

YyXXbCu.jpg

How you doin'?

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I've hit this weird bug a couple of times where I'll rob a place and the door will lock behind me. I can't get out, cops can't get in. It's a mess.

• BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    was looking forward to getting this until i saw this (contains transphobia)
    http://badtransjokes.tumblr.com/post/62878576548/before-i-even-started-playing-the-new-gta-i-knew

sig-1.jpg
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    GTA V is really fun to play

But fuck GTA V

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    why does my hair disappear when I put on a mask

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    GTA5 is a blast to play, but a lot of the writing and in-game media manages to be more juvenile than Saints Row.

I can't get into the Online stuff at all. I can't even save my characters. I've tried to get into it three times, and had to make a new character every time.

I appreciate Rockstar trying something new with character creation, but it is really hard to see what your ancestors actually look like, and what features they pass on to your character.

When the writing is humanizing a character it can be really good.

When it is dehumanizing whole groups of people it can be really awful.

I hope that by the next installment half a decade from now they will at least get women right.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    damn, I hadn't seen that in my game. that's shitty as hell

ikbUJdU.jpg
    I just did the first part of planning for the Big One-- the UD job. Man, I have a hell of a time flying choppers. I was so proud of myself for not crashing!

I'm also barely passable at flying regular planes, so I can't beat the "fly a lap" thing at flight school to get to the chopper part of the school...

After the job, Mike drives Frank home. Shit's going to hit the fan with Mike and Trevor some time soon, isn't it? Then I get a message from Molly telling Mike that Frank needs to steal another car. I don't see any kind of car stealing mission starts here letter on the map though, at least not as Frank.

To those who have finished the single-player: what sort of optional stuff is there? I would have no idea about this Epsilon thing with Michael if I hadn't read our last thread. Do Trevor and Frank have secret missions like Michael?

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yep, servers are still busted for me. Tried starting a solo session to get past the race and got stuck in the parking lot with no car, menu, or weapon wheel.

If their servers are this busted at noon on a workday, I imagine this weekend is going to be horrific.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    To those who have finished the single-player: what sort of optional stuff is there? I would have no idea about this Epsilon thing with Michael if I hadn't read our last thread. Do Trevor and Frank have secret missions like Michael?

Trevor has at least one postgame strangers and freaks, which is amazing. I haven't finished it yet, but hope it continues.

I chose the non-helicopter option for The Big One, because fuck that shit.

turtleant wrote: »
    Yep, servers are still busted for me. Tried starting a solo session to get past the race and got stuck in the parking lot with no car, menu, or weapon wheel.

If their servers are this busted at noon on a workday, I imagine this weekend is going to be horrific.

I am hopeful there will be some kind of fix in place by the weekend. They certainly have money for more servers , right? The budget for this game was probably greater than the budgets for some countries, and it sold hundreds of thousands of copies...

• SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular

There is a fair amount of stuff to do, but to be honest, its pretty low key and/or short. The Epsilon missions are okay, but there is nothing like that for Trevor or Franklin.
    There are the four alien spacecraft to find and see, and the mystery of Mount Chiliad to be solved, but I've come up against a brick wall with that (like most people)

t9migZb.jpg
    edited October 2013
    3N2xmg6.jpg
    Meet Austin Jay, "the TankHammer".
    Expert chopper pilot and minor fashion criminal.

TankHammer on
  • ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Just had a heck of a job stealing the r.v. Went in very unprepared with two other people. One person didn't move unless he was killing himself and the other person did all of the work until right at the end when he died and thanks to suicidal guy couldn't respawn.

I wonder what they were thinking when they had to spectate me running across half the desert to move the r.v. an additional 100 yards to the finish line.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2013
    Berk wrote: »
    http://badtransjokes.tumblr.com/post/62878576548/before-i-even-started-playing-the-new-gta-i-knew

Not that those lines aren't terrible, but GTA is an equal opportunity abuser to everyone's sensibilities. White people, black people, rich people, poor people, gay people, addicts, police, animal lovers, etc.

To point out that the morally degenerate characters in the game (who already hate everyone) make snide remarks about transexuals is a bit redundant.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    holy shit i love the deathmatches in this

they take a while to set up but when you get them going they are awesome

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Not that those lines aren't terrible, but GTA is an equal opportunity abuser to everyone's sensibilities. White people, black people, rich people, poor people, gay people, addicts, police, animal lovers, etc.

To point out that the morally degenerate characters in the game (who already hate everyone) make snide remarks about transexuals is a bit redundant.

I dunno man. That has been the line about GTA since it first started, and it's getting a bit tiring at this point. The core focus of the game isn't to offend everyone, so I don't see why they keep going with this highschool-level of humor.

Just won a 12 man free for all deathmatch, so good

so good

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    hoo boy this multiplayer is way better than four

still a little janky but when it works it works well

PNk1Ml4.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

I dunno man. That has been the line about GTA since it first started, and it's getting a bit tiring at this point. The core focus of the game isn't to offend everyone, so I don't see why they keep going with this highschool-level of humor.

I've said this before

But honestly the main line stuff is the only thing I like in this game writing-wise

Turn off the radio, ignore the posters and realize that they are two separate teams

I do certainly hope that stuff goes away soon though

Like, compared to the polish and relative maturity of how Micheal and his family are handled

Pisswasser feels like its from 10 years ago

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's never been more glaringly obvious that the incidental ads/civilian dialogue/radio stuff was written by a different group than those that wrote the actual game.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

no

PNk1Ml4.png
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular

I read this earlier today (while recovering from staying up super late playing Online, incidentally enough) and I have half a mind to just ship this game off to Amazon and spend the cash on something less abjectly terrible. God, I don't even know. This fuckin' game.

if GTA made like

a point of the story about say, being transphobic or something

that'd be too much

like the torture mission pushed the edge of "I'm not playing this game anymore" for me

stuff like the transgender prostitutes or the stupid South Park humor or whatever I just

I just try my best to ignore it

i've been doing some reading on this subject and basically Lazlow is everything wrong with the GTA series incarnated in a man

they just need to fire his ass and not have him involved in GTA in any way

if social justice warriors want to petition for change they should try to pressure Rockstar into severing ties with Lazlow because he's a fucking shitbag

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I really wish GTA had grown up a bit.

A lot of the main story stuff has always been great.

But a lot of its humor never the very early 2000s. Stuff that would have been hilarious to me as an early teenager. But now I've grown up, and GTA hasn't.

And I appreciate some dumb humor and low brow jokes, but you don't have to be actively misogynistic/transphobic in order to do those things

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited October 2013
    Whoops

ChillyWilly on
    it's all Lazlow and his writing team, it seems

they're a bunch of misogynistic, shit-headed radio "shock jock" fuck-heads and the worst parts of GTA's "South Parkness" can be blamed right on them

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    and Saint's Row has a dildo bat

ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited October 2013
    -Tal wrote: »

no

Please explain why.

Like I said, that humor really is terrible. It's not funny.

But it really just seems like more of the same over the top and juvenile stupidity that is all throughout the game. Why is this particular thing so much worse? I'm interested.

Or have I misread your "no"? Are you saying that all of the humor is terrible and the transphobic stuff is just another piece of garbage in the trash sandwich that is GTA's humor?

ChillyWilly on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I've never encountered that group of pedestrians or heard Trevor or Michael's reactions to them.

Maybe I saw them and was numbed to it from the game spending its time from start to finish treating my race and gender as a bunch of whiny hypocritical atrocity-condoning philandering sycophantic shallow hair-trigger-tempered sociopathic dipshits who ruin everything they touch and always touch everything just so they can ruin it.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    I'm fine tuning it out because the good parts of the game completely overpower it.

A nice moment for me was (post post Yoga)
    when Jimmy comes to Micheal to try and open up to him about the issues he's dealing with with his father. He almost uses the word "gay" as a pejorative but then retracts it because "I've got some gay friends and that's not cool". It's during the rest of his rambling, clumsy confession/apology/bonding moment but it was kind of a nice bit. It adds dimension to some otherwise-terrible characters.

Jimmy isn't even all that bad considering the family he comes from. Aside from the car-thievery and using his family's credit cards without permission (product of his environment) he isn't even as bad as your stereotypical shitty teenager.

It's one of the things that shows me that this studio can do things right. They just need to let the rest of the humor mature a little. I don't even mind the dumb company names, I just wish they'd play them 100% straight instead of the ham-fisted caricature method. Hell, it's not even beyond them to include some better female representation or even have one of the mission-givers be a trans* person. We've already had a pretty fun time with Gay Tony even if he wasn't the greatest example of empowered LGBT characterization.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

no

Please explain why.

Like I said, that humor really is terrible. It's not funny.

But it really just seems like more of the same over the top and juvenile stupidity that is all throughout the game. Why is this particular thing so much worse? I'm interested.

Or have I misread your "no"? Are you saying that all of the humor is terrible and the transphobic stuff is just another piece of garbage in the trash sandwich that is GTA's humor?

Making fun of extremely marginalized groups and groups that are rarely or never marginalized are not the same thing.

So "They're assholes to everyone!" is not an excuse when you are perpetuating shitty stereotypes and bigoted attitudes to a mass audience.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    I've never encountered that group of pedestrians or heard Trevor or Michael's reactions to them.

Maybe I saw them and was numbed to it from the game spending its time from start to finish treating my race and gender as a bunch of whiny hypocritical atrocity-condoning philandering sycophantic shallow hair-trigger-tempered sociopathic dipshits who ruin everything they touch and always touch everything just so they can ruin it.

might be

TankHammer wrote: »
    I'm fine tuning it out because the good parts of the game completely overpower it.

A nice moment for me was (post post Yoga)
    when Jimmy comes to Micheal to try and open up to him about the issues he's dealing with with his father. He almost uses the word "gay" as a pejorative but then retracts it because "I've got some gay friends and that's not cool". It's during the rest of his rambling, clumsy confession/apology/bonding moment but it was kind of a nice bit. It adds dimension to some otherwise-terrible characters.

Jimmy isn't even all that bad considering the family he comes from. Aside from the car-thievery and using his family's credit cards without permission (product of his environment) he isn't even as bad as your stereotypical shitty teenager.

It's one of the things that shows me that this studio can do things right. They just need to let the rest of the humor mature a little. I don't even mind the dumb company names, I just wish they'd play them 100% straight instead of the ham-fisted caricature method. Hell, it's not even beyond them to include some better female representation or even have one of the mission-givers be a trans* person. We've already had a pretty fun time with Gay Tony even if he wasn't the greatest example of empowered LGBT characterization.

the problem with GTA V isn't in the main writing. The mission dialogue and the writing associated with it is pretty okay, even when it gets crude it's okay

the problem is everything else, which the blame falls primarily on Lazlow and his team of people