As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla]: Enemy Unknown -- OPERATION: DEVIL'S MOON Complete!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    uh

Can XCOMsoldiers shoot other XCOM soldiers?

Will we be told who/what shot at us if we survive the attack?

Yes.

You'll be told what hit you (as in, was it a bullet? Was it plasma?) but not who.

Spoit wrote: »
    Can traitors trigger overwatch?

No. Similarly, neither can a loyal soldier trigger a traitor's overwatch.

Will we at least get a cardinal direction it came from? Or even a 180 degree arc?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    You'll be told what hit you (as in, was it a bullet? Was it plasma?) but not who.

Do these mean different things in a way that I should be aware of?

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    so glad I'm not in your squad. :P

but seriously, you want to be in a strong position when you make contact. if you are in a weak position now, its best to get into a strong position. I personally think the strongest position for alpha is to be in the dining room or along the exterior of the south wall.

Fair enough. I agree.

However, I think that one or two turns warning at the (potential) cost of one guy (me) is a far better situation than having two squads in that southern room suddenly engaged from two directions at once.

• Options

Guessing that bullet = a traitor shot you, while plasma = an alien shot you.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

We're dumb rookies with human technology (bullets). They're smart space travelling aliens with advanced weapons (plasma).

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    uh

Can XCOMsoldiers shoot other XCOM soldiers?

Will we be told who/what shot at us if we survive the attack?

Yes.

Can traitors trigger overwatch?

No. Similarly, neither can a loyal soldier trigger a traitor's overwatch.

Will we at least get a cardinal direction it came from? Or even a 180 degree arc?

No. You will know where you were and what you were doing when it happened, though -- like, was it an overwatch shot that hit you while you were moving? Was it a targeted shot that hit you before you moved? After you moved? This, you'll know.

It may be all the orange, but I'm not sure what you mean here.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »

Guessing that bullet = a traitor shot you, while plasma = an alien shot you.

Unless John Stalvern is around, but then he is the demons, so probably he's the SK.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    So we are completely blind, got it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If Otto Zander isn't running around somewhere I will be very disappointed in you, Gandalf.

• Options
    I'm not sure what you want from me. This is a first outing for this shit, and I posted a warning in the OP that it was experimental in nature.

I mean, I could have made it more complex for this round, I suppose. But judging from the number of clarifications, I don't think that would have been a good idea.

It's one thing to want a more simulationist ruleset, it's another to be snide about it. I'm sorry you're not enjoying the game.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    So we are completely blind, got it

I like to think we are completely unprepared rookies who lack the composure to keep the situational awareness needed to track which shots came from where and realize what that blur was that we just saw out of the corner of our vision while cowering and trying not to die.
    also too much for the host to track and report

ObiFett on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Currently Obi and Mill appear to be the only players outside of telephone range. Consider posting your orders at vote close? If we are going to end up with some traitor fire we need some system of keeping track of who is doing what.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I can post mine now, I put in hunker down orders almost as soon as possible.

• Options
    in hindsight those are really bad orders.

but this is XCOM

and I panicked

• Options
    Well if anyone gets shot in the back I'm looking your way.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Spoit is annoying me.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what you want from me. This is a first outing for this shit, and I posted a warning in the OP that it was experimental in nature.

I mean, I could have made it more complex for this round, I suppose. But judging from the number of clarifications, I don't think that would have been a good idea.

It's one thing to want a more simulationist ruleset, it's another to be snide about it. I'm sorry you're not enjoying the game.

Relaaaaaax

:)

Start to worry when we don't ask questions, and just complain occasionally :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    He's not responding to questions. hes responding to offhand snide comments by spoit in response to his answers.

• Options
    He's not responding to questions. hes responding to offhand snide comments by spoit in response to his answers.

I know. And I'm telling him that given the amount of activity in the thread and the number of relevant posts, he should probably just disregard the snide comments. They aren't very many, and it seems clear that it's not a common opinion or anything.

I just don't like it when our hosts don't have fun with us :(

Steam profile
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    There is a lot of information that needs to be processed here.

I am not the one to do it.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    I'm not meaning to be too snide, but it taking pages to get the answers to how systems actually work

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    For the rest of alpha: I think I'm planning to double move to E31. I think that's the best place for me?

• Options
    All you people who haven't already put orders in are silly :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    For the rest of alpha: I think I'm planning to double move to E31. I think that's the best place for me?

Should work, ebum. I don't think anyone else is planning on occupying that square, so it should work. Er. Assuming that your double move isn't broken in the first phase. Might want to consult with chia and buddha just in case.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    kime wrote: »

I know. And I'm telling him that given the amount of activity in the thread and the number of relevant posts, he should probably just disregard the snide comments. They aren't very many, and it seems clear that it's not a common opinion or anything.

Don't worry, I'm not really upset, just frustrated. And not even with the snideness, because the thing of it is, I totally get where Spoit is coming from and I see the kind of game/ruleset he wants. And it would be awesome, I wish I could run/play it.

But it's just not feasible with the amount of tracking, processing, and calculating already happening here. Not for a first time.

However, I'm putting a lot of effort into other portions of the game, I think there's some stuff you guys are really going to like. We'll see. And after, we'll talk about what worked and what didn't. For one thing, the amount of clarifications indicates that a lot of things I thought were intuitive really aren't (probably because I'm thinking, "well that's how the game does it!" when maybe not everyone has that background knowledge) and those things will need to either be simplified, changed, or simply explicated in the OP.

In short, when I say that I'm sorry Spoit isn't enjoying the game, I'm being sincere. I really want this game to be that game, but it's not there yet.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    And I'm also not upset at spoit's disapproval or whatever. I'm

Don't worry, I'm not really upset, just frustrated. And not even with the snideness, because the thing of it is, I totally get where Spoit is coming from and I see the kind of game/ruleset he wants. And it would be awesome, I wish I could run/play it.

But it's just not feasible with the amount of tracking, processing, and calculating already happening here. Not for a first time.

However, I'm putting a lot of effort into other portions of the game, I think there's some stuff you guys are really going to like. We'll see. And after, we'll talk about what worked and what didn't. For one thing, the amount of clarifications indicates that a lot of things I thought were intuitive really aren't (probably because I'm thinking, "well that's how the game does it!" when maybe not everyone has that background knowledge) and those things will need to either be simplified, changed, or simply explicated in the OP.

In short, when I say that I'm sorry Spoit isn't enjoying the game, I'm being sincere. I really want this game to be that game, but it's not there yet.

As a lesson from someone who has felt this way in the past. Chatty host only frustrates everyone. As much as I like being the chatty host.

• Options
    Well that, and there's 2 different games with similar but different rule sets :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    As soon as we're within 3 squares of one another, I will have some choice words for you, Grimmy.

Choice.
    Words.

Is one of them love? That's my word of choice.
    Come over here and find out.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Could we get the current map in the OP/second post?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

We're all posting on a forum about video games; we're pretty spoiled in terms of responsiveness, flow of information, and so on by comparison to what's feasible to provide to 26 people in synchronization, even in daily installments. Don't sweat that; Spoit's just really determined to know exactly how the rules work in this game, which you should take as a compliment of sorts. I agree with some of the things that are bugging him, but I'm just going to wing it which is probably why my Assaults are under a death sentence in the computer-game too!

Remember, guys, this is still a phalla. You're probably going to die for playing well. Try to have some fun and discover some aliens hiding amongst the loyal forces of X-Com; don't sweat the small stuff.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Could we get the current map in the OP/second post?

Done, it's in the second post. I replaced the player list with the players-and-locations list.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    Ok, since I have no current grudges I'm going to vote SeGaTai because no reason.

We Stand Ready
  • Options
    Cythraul hunches!

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    jdarksun

until he helps with tactics talk because I know this shit is right up his alley

• Options
    Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    SeGatai

• Options
    jdarksun

until he helps with tactics talk because I know this shit is right up his alley

I'll second that jdark

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jdarksun, y u no do our work for us?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    You boys are all voting for my day 1 man

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    Random wagon forming on a really good player late in a low vote day one is innnnnteresting.

Spoit gets my vote for both being in that and for being a tad obnoxious about rules.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm honestly just sleep-deprived and annoyed that someone hasn't started a better wagon. That and I don't want to vote out another Alpha.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png