As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tom Clancy Dead at 66

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Other potential titles included:

Jack Ryan: The Most Secret Agent

Jack Ryan: A Spy of Spies

Jack Ryan: Alec Baldwin isn't in this one.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Jack Ryan: Popcorn Eyeglasses

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Jack Ryan: The Other Other Jason Bourne

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    wait, that's a jack ryan movie

why the hell is that a jack ryan movie, he was a marine for like five minutes

please tell me that's just a john clark movie and they made a typo on that poster

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Jack Ryan and the Secret of the Decoder Ring

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Name three people who played Jack Ryan!
    Alec Baldwin
    Harrison Ford
    Ben Affleck

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I don't know if Op Centre was ghost-written or not, but I do admit to liking those books, our library never did have the best selection so I didn't branch out to his other works. And the Splinter Cell games are among my favourite franchises, so I owe that to him in part.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The first Splinter Cell got me into reading several of his books. Looking forward to getting my hands on Blacklist soon.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't know if Op Centre was ghost-written or not, but I do admit to liking those books, our library never did have the best selection so I didn't branch out to his other works. And the Splinter Cell games are among my favourite franchises, so I owe that to him in part.
    Tom Clancy's Op-Center is a novel series, created by Tom Clancy and Steve Pieczenik, though the series is actually written by Jeff Rovin.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Man I had no idea there was a long series of Jack Ryan books, he seemed like such a not-spy novel character in Hunt For Red October.
    Ryan is portrayed by Alec Baldwin in the 1990 film The Hunt for Red October, Harrison Ford in Patriot Games (1992) and Clear and Present Danger (1994), and Ben Affleck in the 2002 film The Sum of All Fears.

Never knew those were all the same guy in the books.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Jack Ryan and the Mystery of the Missing Government Funding Resolution

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Have we even had a John Clark movie?

Why have we not had a John Clark movie yet?
    Yes I know Sabertooth played him in The Sum Of All Fears for like a minute, shut up.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I guess I should probably rewatch Hunt for Red October this weekend

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Aw man, and I missed the chance for that free R6 Vegas on Gold

I never got to play it but it seemed really interesting

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I liked the early stuff much later than the later stuff, when his Jack Ryan books took a right turn at the corner of plausibility and insanity. But I liked the cold war novels just fine, and the popularity and influence of the Tom Clancy brand extends beyond named products and throughout the videogame, movie, and book entertainment industries, and is very much evident in the move towards gritty-yet-grounded cutting-edge tech that permiates popular culture in everything from CoD: Modern Warfare to the Jason Bourne movies. Which is cool, because I like most of those things.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    aw man I liked Red Storm Rising

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    aw man I liked Red Storm Rising

Clancy consulted with Larry Bond heavily on that book, which if you've ever played Harpoon should not surprise you at all.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Without Remorse is great. I really enjoy Rainbow Six and Clear and Present Danger as well.

Also Red October. And Patriot Games.

Yes

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Red Storm Rising was my favorite Clancy book. Because after a while Ryan just became superman.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Aw man, and I missed the chance for that free R6 Vegas on Gold

I never got to play it but it seemed really interesting
    Why would you do that when the best ones are on GOG.com and Steam? Also, Ghost Recon plus both expansions.
    This is totally not my new shopping list or anything
    I have to hold on until the sales

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I think Without Remorse was the first book that I read where I realised holy crap, the world is an awful place.

I was 11/12ish and it was kind of one of those loss of innocence moments while sitting in the public library.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    they should change every Jack Ryan to Tom Clancy in this last book

because that would be awesome

RIP Rainbow Six

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

Yes I know Sabertooth played him in The Sum Of All Fears for like a minute, shut up.

Willem Dafoe played Clark in Clear and Present Danger, I believe.

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    And while Bear and the Dragon was a bit racisty, I love it for the action sequences once the fighting starts and
    America just curbstomps the Chinese

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Bear and the dragon was trash.

Clancy, while writing in specific detail about jack Ryan's breakfast. Included something along the lines of, he ate croissants with butter and jam because, damn his cholesterol.

Tom Clancy ran our of things for Jack Ryan to fight so he fought healthy living.

I think it was his biggest weakness with his books, he wrote some absolute pulp classics. Clear and present danger, without remorse and rainbow six are awesome. If not slightly jingoistic. But by the end of it, Ryan, Clark, the couple that ended up running the CIA were just bulletproof demi-gods. Oh and Ryan's best friend, who was a test fighter pilot, ended up with a couple of general stars and the became Vice President.

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Veldrin wrote: »

William Dafoe portrayed him in Clear and Present Danger, actually

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Wasn't john Clark also I'm hunt for red October?

• Options
    no, only Jack Ryan

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Imdb tells me no.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Teeth of the Tiger was my first Clancy novel and will remain my favourite

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Tom Clancy's Op-Center is a novel series, created by Tom Clancy and Steve Pieczenik, though the series is actually written by Jeff Rovin.

hahaha holy shit Jeff Rovin

that guy wrote the "How To Win at Nintendo Games" books I had as a kid. They were really good, too. He was an adult giving honest assessments of these games and he wouldn't mince words when he thought a game was trash.

I'm reading his (Rovin's) bio on Wikipedia now. I have a lot of admiration for that kind of - what they used to call a "hack" as a compliment. A dude who just sits down and fucking cranks it out on any subject whether he cares about it or not.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2013
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Man I had no idea there was a long series of Jack Ryan books, he seemed like such a not-spy novel character in Hunt For Red October.

he totally isn't a spy or soldier badass in Red October, that's the entire point of the character and part of why this whole JACK RYAN DOUBLE BLACK ELITE thing is so dumb

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Yeah, Ryan was always an analyst who occasionally got caught up in spy craft/wet work.

• Options
    Like a couple people in this thread, Clancy was one of the first "adult" authors I ever read, right around the time I was 12 or so. His books had curse words and sex scenes and graphic violence and I had this amazing feeling that I was getting away with something. I'm sitting there in class and reading and nobody knows I'm reading about tits and blood holy shit I can't believe I'm not going to the principal's office right now

and this was 1991, 92, right after the Cold War so this stuff was actually pretty educational for me. His early stuff was really not racist or jingoist; the Russians were not cackling supervillains, they were just kind of dry bureaucrats who were more or less exactly like our guys. I have a feeling that Clancy was one of those guys like Dennis Miller who had something break inside of them after 9/11 and just kind of went around the bend.

• Options
    i guess they're going with Ryan because out of the entire clancyverse he's the one with the most name recognition (even though it's been eleven years since the last movie with him in it)

but if you're going to be doing an origin story anyway, why not use the proper character? he's right there. black bag work in post-soviet countries is literally john clark's whole thing! that's what he does!

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Oh man that's right.

I remember 9/11.

For some reason cnn had Clancy in as an "expert commentator" I just wanted to be all. Guys, you know his books weren't real right?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I did book reports in elementary school on Red October and Patriot Games
    I felt like the coolest kid

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I enjoyed reading Tom Clancy's books.

But the ones I've read have characters really young and then they're back and their kids are in a similar occupation and it's like what did I skip???

But they're good.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Yeah, Ryan was always an analyst who occasionally got caught up in spy craft/wet work.

"I know this book. Your conclusions were all wrong, Ryan. Hasley acted stupidly."
    [TORPEDO COLLIDES WITH SUB]