As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Traveller Returns, and Leaves Again

SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Social Entropy++
[UPDATE: After 10 months of being back, I've decided to take my leave as a forum regular. See page 10 if you want to know more!]

If you long-time SE++ers will cast your mind back to October, 2011, you may recollect a farewell thread for one Somestickguy. It turned out that Somestickguy was a Mormon and was about to leave on a 2-year mission to London, England. Then, on the 6th of October, he left. The thread went the way of most threads where the topic of Mormons is brought up tend to - not a good place to say the least - and the thread eventually died.

Now those 2 years are up. I'm back.

2 years is a long time. 2 years in London, talking to strangers and non-strangers alike from all over the world about God is a unique experience. And for me, 2 years aways from media in general was a daunting prospect. But hey. Look at how things turned out. I'm back, I've just had a life-changing adventure and what's more, I have 2 STINKING YEARS of stuff to catch up on. Now the big and looming question is,

WHERE DO I START?!

So this thread is for 2 primary things, but let me first state what this thread is not for. This thread is not for arguing about the beliefs or practices of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or any other religious group. If you want that, there's plenty of other places on the internet dedicated to the cause.

So here are the 2 things. Thing number 1; I doubt it happens often that an internet forum has a chance to ask a recently returned missionary about his experiences. Since I love you guys, I wanted to take a shot at doing so. Bear in mind that my schedule for at least the next few weeks will be a lot less empty than what it used to be (as you can probably tell in my level of forum activity in the past couple of days), but when I'm around, I'll do my best. I'm not sure how many pictures I'll post, but certainly some. I certainly wasn't shy about sending pictures via the medium of @Tynic before. We'll see what happens.

Thing 2: I will repeat the aforementioned question, WHERE DO I START?! Of course I will catch up on Homestuck, but I'm planning on doing so with a friend and 2 years of solid waiting won't be made too much harder by a couple of extra days (I did watch Cascade though. WOW. I'm avoiding the MSPA thread for spoiler reasons but WOW). Anyway, so I need recommendations. I've already purchased a 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Bros., but beyond that I pretty much just have my stuff from 2 years ago. That is, a PS3, a PC and a 3rd Gen iPod Touch. I'm not planning on getting any more systems any time soon, so those and the 3DS are what I have to work with!

Begin!

Somestickguy on

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    is it true that the toilets in london flush counter-clockwise

l3icwZV.png
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Did the Queen accept your copy of the watchtower?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Why 'catch up' on Homestuck?

Now is your chance to leave it all behind.

Go, and never look back.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Welcome back!

• SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    is it true that the toilets in london flush counter-clockwise

I would guess they flush the same was as they do here in Wales, but I must admit that never in my lifetime have I made note on the movements of a toilet's flush! Well, this is embarrassing.

edited October 2013
    Marathon wrote: »
    Did the Queen accept your copy of the watchtower?

Wrong church!

I know that the Queen was presented with a copy of the Book of Mormon a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure that as the head of the Church of England she's stuck as far as changing religion is concerned.

Somestickguy on
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    How much basketball did you play?

broken image link
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    As far as PS3 recommendations go, in no particular order
    -Journey
    -The Last of Us
    -Guacamelee
    -Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
    -Metal Gear Rising
    -Ico/SotC HD Collection
    -Thomas Was Alone
    -Sleeping Dogs
    -Tomb Raider

uc3ufTB.png
    Liiya wrote: »
    Welcome back!

OK what's this "bro" option because if it means fistbumps then I'm giving you one

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Also watch breaking bad i guess

uc3ufTB.png
    I think it does!

What will you do now your back home?

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Did you accomplish your mission

Guys I'm going to go watch my new Summer Wars Blu-ray. I also have The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike.

It's good to be home.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    So, were you right in the middle of things for the Olympics? How was all that?

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    How many days a week did you eat in the homes of ward members? That was something I always wondered about the Missionaries while growing up in the church.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Were you not allowed to have a 3DS/PS3/etc. with you?

What about podcasts/music/that sort of thing?

Guys I'm going to go watch my new Summer Wars Blu-ray. I also have The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike.

It's good to be home.

Yo, you should watch Attack on Titan

wait, did you watch Madoka before leaving? if not you should get on that pronto

uc3ufTB.png
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    ahahaha homestuck

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    the joke is homestuck

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Get Dark Souls.

If you don't have a 360 then get it on steam. And get a 360 controller to play it with. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

It's good to be home.

Yo, you should watch Attack on Titan

Why would you wish that on anyone?

Also, Summer Wars is really good. It's not exactly very original, but it's still very good.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    How are you handling our 2013 technology?
    Our phones can do division now and video games can talk.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    You need to play Bioshock Infinite, SSG.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

The Mormon missionary trip is pretty strict about outside influences. If you get real hardcore, they can't even listen to music that isn't approved by the church.

YL9WnCY.png
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    answer the basketball question

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

The Mormon missionary trip is pretty strict about outside influences. If you get real hardcore, they can't even listen to music that isn't approved by the church.

Ouch

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Watch Pacific Rim

Right now

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    nope

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Apparently I'm a thing

broken image link
    HOPY SHIT

YOU MISSED GANGNAM STYLE

broken image link
    Goddamnit it must be like being a fuckin' time traveller, all this shitty future stuff to see.

broken image link
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Shoulder-pads became the new fashion fad.

We're also about to institute the Thunderdome model of congressional election.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    My first thought upon seeing this thread title? Jaqen H'gar.

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Breaking Bad has ended and now television has lost all appeal

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Play Bioshock Infinite.

Watch the Avengers.

Watch The Worlds End.

You're good.

Quire.jpg
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Play Bioshock Infinite.

Watch the Avengers.

Watch The Worlds End.

You're good.

Oh hell no.

You don't leave for two fucking years and then only catch up on the good parts.

You download and try to play sim city right fucking now.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Goddamnit it must be like being a fuckin' time traveller, all this shitty future stuff to see.
    if only we could all go back to 2011

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Damn, not sure if I could go a few months without knowing the lastest movies/games/TV shows, let alone 2 years.

May I suggest Fire Emblem Awakening, for your 3DS?