As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Haswell? More like Has...damnit, I had something for this...

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That appears to say you have two GTS 240 video cards and one monitor, but the cards aren't in SLI configuration.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Also you use the SSD for the OS and whatever you're using the most at the moment, and store everything else on your reused HDD as the HDD will be far larger than the SSD (unless you're Alecthar etc...) and it will save wear on the SSD.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    F87 wrote: »
    Would you guys look over this? I'm over my budget but I can't decide if I should go for a cheaper keyboard or just look for cheaper parts.
    No way in hell would I give up a good mechanical keyboard, like the CM Quickfire, for something else.

That keyboard will last you a decade, maybe even longer. If it gets dirty, pop off all the keys, compress air it, wipe it all down with windex, reassemble, and it'll be good as new. A part that will last you 10+ years is the last thing you should skimp on - nothing else in your build will outlast your keyboard. My guess is that you've never had a good keyboard, but it's like having a good mouse or a big monitor; once you get them, you'll never go back.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    212 evo installed

dropped 10c immediately on idle :o

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    That appears to say you have two GTS 240 video cards and one monitor, but the cards aren't in SLI configuration.

That'd be because the GTS 240 isn't actually SLI compatible, it was in the end a total waste of money. All the second card will do is PhysX related things.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    ran prime95 for half an hour, maxed at 80c

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

That'd be because the GTS 240 isn't actually SLI compatible, it was in the end a total waste of money. All the second card will do is PhysX related things.

Stick 'em both on Ebay, and get chuck in some money to get a GTX760. Your eyes will pop clean out of your head when you see the difference...

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    So I kind of... Forgot to check back in the thread, and the message directed at me got lost in a sea of thread updates. Anyway @tsmvengy I could probably reuse one of the optical drives, but I'd have to check on the hard drive. My current rig is a DELL machine... which is why I spoke of a trustworthy place to buy something pre-built, which they are not whatsoever.

I noticed you had an SSD yet told me to reuse my current hard drive, what would I use the SSD for then?

And to edit, here are my specs:
    xoXLAgu.jpg

You would use the SSD for your OS/programs and then use your old drive for storage of documents/music/videos (things that don't need the SSD speed).

steam_sig.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I've set myself a bit of a fun goal. Get into either Ivy/Sandy or Haswell for $300 for proc + mobo + RAM. For at least the proc and mobo, I'm looking at used parts. I think I can do it, with a bit of luck and some effort.

Edit: The money from selling my older parts will help pad that a bit.

Edit again: I could put together a brand new upgrade for $300 for those parts. Time to see if I can do it for under $200.

Thinking on this more. Prob going to look to spend right around 100 on the mobo, since it'll be the foundation for incremental proc upgrades as I go. Leaning toward Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte; in that order. Thoughts?

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    Would you guys look over this? I'm over my budget but I can't decide if I should go for a cheaper keyboard or just look for cheaper parts.
    No way in hell would I give up a good mechanical keyboard, like the CM Quickfire, for something else.

That keyboard will last you a decade, maybe even longer. If it gets dirty, pop off all the keys, compress air it, wipe it all down with windex, reassemble, and it'll be good as new. A part that will last you 10+ years is the last thing you should skimp on - nothing else in your build will outlast your keyboard. My guess is that you've never had a good keyboard, but it's like having a good mouse or a big monitor; once you get them, you'll never go back.

You have convinced me.

Here is my build now:

Old specs:
    - Windows 7
    - 8gig DDR3 ram
    - AMD Phenom IIx4 955 3.2ghz
    - Radeon 5700 HD 2gig
    - 250g HDD
    - 585W Orion power supply

Updated Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($254.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $806.89

That's with $50 in MIR, but that's OK. What do you guys think?

Also, I'm reusing my 8 gigs ram and 250g HDD. What are the odds that my 4 year old HDD is one of the louder parts in my pc? I'm really hoping my new computer is quieter.

@F87: that's not a very great per-GB price for the SSD. At this point though, I'd rather see you build a system period, than worry about stuff like that. You could probably only save about $10-15 anyway if you wait for a sale.

Although, admittedly, expect "Holiday" sales to start right around Halloween this year.

• HappyElkHappyElk Registered User new member
    Howdy, I'm hoping for some build advice for a media streaming PC. If there's a more appropriate forum for a non-gaming computer, please let me know and I'll head over that way.

My new PC would have one primary purpose: to stream NHL Gamecenter Live via HDMI onto my Sceptre 42". I have no plans to use the box for anything else beyond streaming other video content occasionally, and I would prefer to not use a laptop. All that said, I would like to keep cost and size as low as possible. I am sure there are other media options to stream the content, and I am open to suggestions.

For a baseline, the NHL Gamecenter Live requirments:
    Minimum Windows Requirements

• Pentium 4 2.4GHz or higher or equivalent AMD processor with a minimum of 1GB of memory
    • One of the following operating systems: Windows 7, Windows XP SP2 or greater and Windows Vista
    • 32-bit Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or later: http://www.microsoft.com/ie
    • 64-bit Microsoft Internet Explorer 8
    • Firefox 3.6 or later: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox
    • Adobe Flash Player 11.0 or later: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/
    • Chrome 12 or later
    • Video adapter and monitor: 1280x800 resolution or higher, hardware acceleration-capable graphics card

The only other computers I have built have been gaming PCs at the other end of the spectrum from this unit, so I really have no context for putting this together. Any help would be appreciated

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Also, I'm reusing my 8 gigs ram and 250g HDD. What are the odds that my 4 year old HDD is one of the louder parts in my pc? I'm really hoping my new computer is quieter.
    Yes, your HDD will be the loudest component, but don't worry about it. You won't access it as often as you think, once you have the SSD, as your OS + applications + games should all be on the SSD. Only rarely used games, rarely used applications, music, videos, and personal data should be on the HDD. Aka, stuff you don't use as often as you'd think.

iTNdmYl.png
    That should be fine, I'm excited!

But with Watchdogs recommending an 8-core CPU and ATI's new graphics cards coming out soon, am I going to regret my choices on these parts? And black friday is a month away, but I really don't want to wait any longer!!

HappyElk wrote: »
    The only other computers I have built have been gaming PCs at the other end of the spectrum from this unit, so I really have no context for putting this together. Any help would be appreciated

You already have the knowledge to do this. Look at older generation chipsets on m-ATX or m-ITX boards. You can get Ivy/Sandy boards for under $50, for example. You can probably find a used, low-end 1155 proc for cheap as well (i3). Toss in some cheap used RAM and you're good. You can probably dig up an old HDD for your OS.

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

But with Watchdogs recommending an 8-core CPU and ATI's new graphics cards coming out soon, am I going to regret my choices on these parts? And black friday is a month away, but I really don't want to wait any longer!!

Is the 8-core thing legit? As of like a few months ago most games couldn't even utilize 4 cores. I have serious doubts that you would need 8 fake cores (a la hyper threading with the 4 core i5's) let alone 8 real cores.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Is the 8-core thing legit? As of like a few months ago most games couldn't even utilize 4 cores. I have serious doubts that you would need 8 fake cores (a la hyper threading with the 4 core i5's) let alone 8 real cores.

It's recommending a 4-core cpu from 5 years ago. Your good on the parts you have picked out.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    HappyElk wrote: »
    Howdy, I'm hoping for some build advice for a media streaming PC. If there's a more appropriate forum for a non-gaming computer, please let me know and I'll head over that way.

My new PC would have one primary purpose: to stream NHL Gamecenter Live via HDMI onto my Sceptre 42". I have no plans to use the box for anything else beyond streaming other video content occasionally, and I would prefer to not use a laptop. All that said, I would like to keep cost and size as low as possible. I am sure there are other media options to stream the content, and I am open to suggestions.

For a baseline, the NHL Gamecenter Live requirments:
    Minimum Windows Requirements

• Pentium 4 2.4GHz or higher or equivalent AMD processor with a minimum of 1GB of memory
    • One of the following operating systems: Windows 7, Windows XP SP2 or greater and Windows Vista
    • 32-bit Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or later: http://www.microsoft.com/ie
    • 64-bit Microsoft Internet Explorer 8
    • Firefox 3.6 or later: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox
    • Adobe Flash Player 11.0 or later: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/
    • Chrome 12 or later
    • Video adapter and monitor: 1280x800 resolution or higher, hardware acceleration-capable graphics card

I feel like an AMD APU is the way you want to go with this.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2013
    OK guys, which would perform better for gaming?

Intel / Nvidia Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($254.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $779.91

AMD / ATI Build:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
    Total: $859.92

If you guys are right about the i5 being good enough for now, I think I will go with the Intel build. But I mean, 4 cores at 3.2ghz compared to 8 cores at 4ghz...I dont know. Also I can't decide between ATI or Nvidia for my GPU...

F87 on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    go with the Intel, and stop double guessing yourself with worrying, it will be great for gaming for years to come.

Also AMD cpu's aren't really 8-core. It's been said before in the thread, but AMD cpus are made up of 4 bulldozer modules, each module contains 2 integer units and a single floating point unit with a combined dispatch,l2 cache,and instruction decoder. They like to count the 8 integer units as separate cores, even though they aren't really.

Ghz is also a meaningless number, think of it like you have a semi truck going down a highway at 60mph vs. a sports car at 90mph. and you want to move as much cargo as you can, the sports car is going to get there faster, but move much less overall.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    That analogy makes a lot of sense. OK, I will for sure go with the Intel build, but I need some final input on the GPU.

Radeon 7970 vs. GeForce 760?

I feel like nvidia is a bit gimmicky with the physx stuff and ati seems to be popular in a lot of builds I'm seeing. What do you guys think? (I'm almost done bugging you guys with my questions, sorry!)

• exisexis Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Apparently not. The actual Watch Dogs specs are still to come.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I wonder how much of that "eight core" shit is just because of the XB1 and PS4 and they just needed something to throw out there, if it's even true.

Zxerol on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah if the original specs were based somewhat on what it took to run the game on PS4/X1 devkits, that's not really an adequate representation of what PC performance in the games will require. Because, well, devkits are specced out to run utterly unoptimized debug code. They're significantly more powerful than the gaming rigs that 99% of PC gamers will have, even people who've recently bought new hardware.

That analogy makes a lot of sense. OK, I will for sure go with the Intel build, but I need some final input on the GPU.

I feel like nvidia is a bit gimmicky with the physx stuff and ati seems to be popular in a lot of builds I'm seeing. What do you guys think? (I'm almost done bugging you guys with my questions, sorry!)

The 760 is the best performance/dollar card around now, and will play anything you throw at it at 1080p with ease. Even Metro: Last Light gets 50fps on high graphics settings on that card.

• WiFiPunkWiFiPunk Registered User regular

The 760 is the best performance/dollar card around now, and will play anything you throw at it at 1080p with ease. Even Metro: Last Light gets 50fps on high graphics settings on that card.

Agreed, the 760 is great bang for your buck compared to most other cards right now.
    the downside if I remember right is that it's the same gpu as the last gen 680ti.
    Regardless, it can run anything anything you throw at it (@ 1080p) pretty well.

PAX East 2015 Status: Badge[X] Hotel[X] Car[X] Vacation[X]
  • toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    *cracks open door* ...I heard this is the place to come talk about computer build stuff? I'll just invite myself in if that's alright...

Hope everyone is doing fantastic. I'm pretty excited that its Friday. I have a new computer component arriving by UPS today! I ordered an i7 3770K and I can barely contain myself. When I built my rig about 10 months ago I purchased everything with the intent of upgrading the CPU later on. Well I finally had the funds and pulled the trigger. I was using a Ivy Bridge Pentium G2120 that was pretty severely bottlenecking (I would assume) my 7870xt (Tahiti LE).

Also,
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Alecthar wrote: »
    After spending ages trying to find a case that wouldn't make me cringe from a home-design standpoint, I just commissioned one of these:

http://www.nickfalzonedesign.com/sangaku.html

Something steel/metal-looking would be fine if I was in an industrial/loft space, but as i'm in more of a conventional home, I need something that looks more natural. Hope this comes out OK.

@kaliyama How much did that end up costing you?

$1500. It is a lot for sure, but when I am at the point of building a "permanent" furniture collection for my home I can justify it. Which is weird, because this is proportionally more expensive than the geek chic dining/gaming tables, but I am unwilling to get one of those.

Sweet zombie Jesus! Why not just buy a nice cabinet with some ventilation?

I mean, it's obviously your money, but I hope you're getting a full-on custom wood case for that kind of cash, not a wooden frame built around a case like most of the work on that site.

I hear you, but one-off wood working isn't cheap, especially if it is well-made. Do you have sources on wooden cases cheaper?

Did someone say custom wood computer case? I built this a while back to fit in our IKEA shelf unit by the TV. I don't use it any more since I have my gaming PC hooked up to my TV now. I intended on staining it and making it look way more finished but never got around to it. Oh well.
    2012-04-28%2019.34.26.jpg?token_hash=AAEYjcH-x_0LIxZIYXgqrH4q1VROMxRWDWNm61RZJmJxLA&dl=1
    2012-05-02%2018.13.57.jpg?token_hash=AAFZsG51rnJ7XKZEhFEfQZGa1Zpc8--m4_HUFzwm_wQFyQ&dl=1
    2012-04-28%2019.38.13.jpg?token_hash=AAEuLFtquJmbK1KbwZrtbkkztNt6r-HtYjJpsOud9lRViA&dl=1

WiFiPunk wrote: »

Agreed, the 760 is great bang for your buck compared to most other cards right now.
    the downside if I remember right is that it's the same gpu as the last gen 680ti.

There was no 680Ti.

The 760 is basically a mildly overclocked 670, iirc.

There was no 680Ti.

You're right, I was thinking of the 670 Ti.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

There was no 680Ti.

There was no 670ti either.

• PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    Hm...speaking of GPUs.

I have Crossfired 6870s, but was thinking of upgrading. Worth it for a GTX 770 or a 7970 Ghz?

I play at 1920x1080, so I don't need oodles of VRAM, but I like the pretties and the 1GB of VRAM is starting to show its age.

edited October 2013

What about if I plan on playing BF4 and it's optimized for ATI? If I end up going with a radeon 7970, will it be much worse than the 760?

F87 on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

What about if I plan on playing BF4 and it's optimized for ATI? If I end up going with a radeon 7970, will it be much worse than the 760?

AMD vs Nvidia all boils down to personal choice in the end. They both offer decent cards, and sometimes there are great deals making one a better choice over the other. But currently the 760 is best performance per dollar if there is no great bundle deal.

As for BF4 being 'optimized for ATI' - that means basically nothing at all. As far as I know, currently, the only thing that one can do that the other can't is Nvidia has PhysX which ATI can't do. But I do not know of anything from ATI that Nvidia can't do. Also, as a Nvidia fanboy, I really prefer the Nvidia drivers speed of updates over ATI.

50433.png?1708759015
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I played the BF4 beta on a 760 @ 1080p with mostly high settings and it was very smooth. Load times were pretty bad, but I haven't heard any reports of that being different for ATI users.

• toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Isn't BF4 somewhat "optimized" for AMD's new Mantle API system though? I'm not sure if that will be introduced on current cards or reserved for the new R9 2xx series cards. The 7970 is a good card but the value, at the moment, is in Nvidia's court IMO (with the 760 at least). I've never personally used an Nvidia card though.

Edit 1: (I haven't done a ton of research yet into AMD's upcoming cards or Mantle. So if I have my facts all wrong on what Mantle even is then ignore me)

Edit 2: I was thinking the 760 was more in line with the 7970 in terms of power. I guess its a bit lower, maybe more inline with a 7950 Boost. Still a great card though.

toloveistorebel on
    So, the 7970 is more powerful, but about $70 more than the 760. Seems like I should go with the 760.
    I played the BF4 beta on a 760 @ 1080p with mostly high settings and it was very smooth. Load times were pretty bad, but I haven't heard any reports of that being different for ATI users.

Thats awesome! Are you on a SSD?

Gaslight wrote: »

There was no 680Ti.

What are you talking about? Of course there was.
    http://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-600/geforce-gtx-670ti

• PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular

There was no 680Ti.

If you look, that shows estimated specs, an estimated release date (that's already passed), no launch price...A 670 Ti never made it to market, if it was ever planned at all.

If this was a sarcastic post, then I apologize in advance!

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

There was no 680Ti.

That link is all estimated/speculative stuff; see Pirusu's post above. No cards branded 670ti were ever sold. There was a 660ti.

This discussion has been closed.