As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Thursday, July 25, 2013 - Shut Up & Sit Down Season 2, Ep. 12: Introduction to Board Game

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Thursday, July 25, 2013 - Shut Up & Sit Down Season 2, Ep. 12: Introduction to Board Games

In this episode Quinns provides an introduction for getting into board games.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    shapenajishapenaji Registered User regular
    Racism: Make-up is a hassle.

• Options
    PinPrickNachoMancyPinPrickNachoMancy Registered User regular
    Hey, I know that music, it's Super Mario Land!

• Options
    BellwetherBellwether Registered User regular
    Nice, good video

• Options
    MercutioGeekMercutioGeek Registered User new member
    Hey, newsflash, Canada is not America.

• Options
    darkmage0707077darkmage0707077 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Great intro! I might end up using this at some point.

In line with this video and when talking about friends who might be intimidated by big books and weird looking games, I have a BIG recommendation of a game for you guys to review (and I'd even be willing to loan you guys my own personal copy if you can't find it):

Careers, 1950-60s edition. Created by a finance professor, published by Parker Brothers.

LOOKS like a hybrid of Game of Life and Monopoly. Plays like a combo of them...but also has a bunch of stuff (super simplified) that could come straight out of any modern "advanced" board game like Dominion, Arkam Horror or the like.

I've used it more times then I can count to get non-board gamers to be receptive to trying those otherwise-intimidating-looking games, and I recommend it to everyone here as a way to help your non-boardgame savvy friends ease into the idea that board games can be more complex and fun then "roll a die, move n spaces, do what the space tells you, (maybe) do what the card you draw tells you, repeat until done or until the family takes you back from the summer vacation log cabin to electricity and civilization".

darkmage0707077 on
    The way of the Paladin:
    To Seek,
    To Learn,
    To Do.
    -QFG2

If the speed of light is faster then the speed of sound, is that why people always appear bright until they speak? o_O
  • Options
    CosmicMuffetCosmicMuffet Registered User regular
    When you said america and put up a picture of canada, I almost choked on my drink. You murderer.

• Options
    shadowdrake777shadowdrake777 Registered User regular
    News flash the United States of America is not the only country in the Americas. There are many countries in North America and South America.

• Options
    HalfbakedFlunkyHalfbakedFlunky Registered User regular
    Technically any country in North or South America can be referred to as part of America, although the term is usually reserved to refer to the United States. That being said its pretty obvious they were trolling when they showed a picture of Canada. Their episodes are always full of this dry type of humor. They probably did it just to see it rattle their US viewers, which seems to have worked quite well.

• Options
    PunchgroinPunchgroin Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I thought it was pretty clear that they are Englishmen who live in Canada? Pretty clearly a joke. Pretty much everyone who lives in North and South America considers themselves american, they just call us Gringos. (Literally, I've never been called American by a latino, just gringo.)

Canada is so culturally close to us we cant even tell that someone is Canadian until they say "Sorry" or "About"

Oh, and the Super Mario land music drove me furiously crazy for the 2 minutes it took me to remember where it came from!

Punchgroin on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I say we add "Everyone is Canadian" to the rules of the internet.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Quinns and Paul live in the UK. Specifically London. You can see some of the landmarks in their other videos.

They clearly used the Canadian flag to troll Americans. Look, it worked!

• Options
    AchmardAchmard Registered User new member
    Um.. what happened to Quinns' eyebrows?

• Options
    ThomualThomual Registered User new member
    Syncronize your top 10's! At least talk about your 2 player choices at the same time. It's not hard to reorder a list to make it easier to follow for the watcher.

• Options
    RorrikRorrik Registered User regular
    Non-confrontational people lie to their friends' faces all the time. They aren't confrontational enough to tell the hard truths.