As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] Wednesday, May 9, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 4, Ep. 13: ARGs (part 2)

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
image[PATV] Wednesday, May 9, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 4, Ep. 13: ARGs (part 2)

This week, we conclude our discussion on ARGs, this time with Augmented Reality Games.<br /> Come discuss this topic in the <a href="http://extra-credits.net/episodes/args-part-2/#discuss&quot; target="_blank">forums</a>!

Read the full story here

Dog on

• BerymBerym MetaGeek Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sydney Opera House. Not Hall.

Otherwise awesome.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    If you want wonderful examples of Augmented reality gone over the top, look at the latest incarnations of Shadowrun. Again, this is a dystopian/cyberpunk future where the worst in humanity is brought to the fore, but they do not shy away from the ramifications of having everything you see be overlaid with computer tech - taking things one step further and introducing augmented reality objets that become like spam in your vision. And yet few people jack out because the information is so useful.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DrakesynDrakesyn Registered User new member
    +1 to Athenor. as alongtime shadowrun player, the dev team behind this little tabletop pen and paper RPG have always been ahead of the technology curve just by paying attention to technology trends. And they released their game with ubiquitous AR (including some incredibly hilarious fictional MMOs stemming from it) in 2009. So yeah, good way to stay on top of tech trends.

• worth1000kpsworth1000kps Registered User new member
    Imagine this tech with pokemon. Google maps syncs to give you random encounters depending on where you are, you build your team and battle pokemon. No overarching themes or stories needed. Instead as you're walking through Whole Foods an alert pops up, there's another trainer nearby. You challenge them and they accept. Suddenly you're watching as your charizard bitch slaps their venusaur in between deli meats and baked beans.

• nickyv917nickyv917 Registered User new member
    @worth1000kps I created an account just so I could say how freaking incredible that sounds.

• rainbowhyphenrainbowhyphen Registered User regular
    @worth1000kps @nickyv917 *ahem*

I want to play that game.

That is all.

raise-this-arm-to-initiate-revolution.png
  • Dapper DuckDapper Duck Registered User regular
    5:29 i'm sorry where you implying that advertising of any kind is effective? I see the major concern but seriously I haven't bought anything based on an ad. since 2004 and that was because it was something of actual pre-conceived intrest. I do waaaay more research on the products I buy now than i used to it usually has to do with how b.s. and lame advertising of today is. XD

• DiEvAlDiEvAl Registered User new member
    Wait, was this video made before Ingress?

• Permafry_42Permafry_42 Registered User new member
    If anyone here likes anime, PLEASE watch the anime Dennō Coil (and please read the manga too since its a retelling though with the same premise). If someone can succeed at making google glasses like that world, I will be so happy! Heck, I just want the handphone idea to become a thing =D

• cian93cian93 Registered User new member
    @Dapper Duck
    Anyone who ever says "advertising doesn't work on me" or anything to that effect clearly doesn't understand how advertising works. Almost nobody sees an ad for something and then decides to buy it based on that. And it doesn't just raise awareness. Everyone knows Coca Cola and McDonalds are there, you can't go anywhere without just seeing them in the real world but if advertising didn't work, they wouldn't sink billions of dollars into it. Advertising is subliminal and influences you subconsciously. You can't research everything you buy or use.

Besides, this doesn't even have to influence you subconsciously. If the game makes you go to Walmart, people will probably buy more things in Walmart unless they have an active dislike for the place. They'll make the most of the trip and get some shopping done while they're there or just see a special offer and buy it or buy a snack because they're hungry. It clearly has potential to be a huge source of income.

• StevieCStevieC Registered User regular
    one word: INGRESS