As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NatCoWriMo: You Know You Want To!

IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
edited October 2013 in Art Assignments and Resources
National Comic Writing Month, November!
natcowrimobox.png
NatCoWriMo.
NatcoWhat.png

When: November

What: One comic page a day for 30 days, Or a 30 page comic in 30 days.

How: Blood, sweat and tears

Why: Because you’ve been “meaning to start that comic forever” but you’ve been pussy footing around on it, well its game time. Sharpen your fucking pencils.
NatcoRules.png
NaNoWriMo is a 50,000 word challenge. For the comic challenge to be equal, but achievable, we must set some guidelines.

1. You Must Be Starting a New Story

This challenge is to get something new going. If you have an on going comic that you already update on a schedule, You are amazing, but this isn’t for that project. This challenge is to help you to practice finishing what you start, so you cant just marathon 30 pages in the middle of a story.

You May:

-Create a Vignette within a universe that is already created
-Create the starting point of a longer series, so long as the chapter has some sort of beginning, middle and end within itself
-Redo a comic that you have previously started, but remains incomplete (You cannot use the old pages to count towards your goal)

2. You must write one Narrative for the 30 pages

Meaning, you cant write a bunch of “strips” or 3 page short stores that are unrelated and have them count. This rule can be interpreted in different if you wish to do a longer but unconventional or non-linear comic, but the point it to keep you focused on one project, and not to at the end of the month just mush unrelated work together.

3. You may do 30 complete pages, either layout or finished

What “complete” means in terms of polish is up to you, but if you do 30 it should be a legible, readable comic. If you’d like to plan out a longer endeavor you may lay out pages instead. You must sketch a page AND write the script/description to accompany it. The lay out must be in a state you could actually work from.

4. The Deadline is midnight, Nov 30th.

NO EXCUSES. AIM TO WIN.

NatcoWin.png

You can win the wonderful, heartwarming satisfaction that you completed a comic! HORRAY FOR SATISFACTION! DELICIOUS, SCRUMPTIOUS SATISFACTION!

NatcoSubmit.png

I am running a tumblr for NatCo, and you can submit over there as well. Please PM me your email for an invite to contribute to the blog.
http://natcowrimo.tumblr.com/

THE FINISHED COMIC TRACK
So last year I realized that to champion this November, I really needed to take charge of my pre-production. I wanted to make a new comic with characters that I haven't been sitting on for years. I'm starting fresh, maybe you should too! This is my finished comic track, give it a shot with me!

AugScripting Write your script, re-write your script, concept your characters, and get everything prepared for:

Sketchtember Layout phase, Get your pages drafted and your script adapted to panels, you want everything in place for:

Inktober Follow along with real inktober and ink the shit out of those pages:

NATCOWRIMO GET ALL YOUR SHIT DONE, 30 PAGES 30 DAYS

We can do it, my AC comrades! LET US CHAMPION NOVEMBER.

Iruka on

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Alright, starting this thread pretty early this year because Im going to try and be on the finished comic track, and trying to hold myself to a schedule rather than just waiting until November.

I actually have a script written, but its still a little rough around the edges. I will be spending august finding the style and creating the characters, which will hopefully help me round out my script. I'm not going to post up scripts here, but if Nano participators want to review scripts outside of the public view, mine is in a google doc, and I'd be happy to make a little collaborative group in the google drive.

So far, I have the main character, Carter:
    carter1.png
    carterthumbs.png

My Comic is called "But, In Reality" and I am trying to keep it as short, simple and focused as possible. Carter is a college graduate dealing with his life not being exactly where he imagined. I'm hoping to hit close to home for the situation a bunch of my fellow private school graduates are in.

I will be posting sketches over the month of august, probably drawing as we move to austin when its not my turn to drive.

@Mynt and @m3nance Totally expect to see some stuff coming this way before November, because you know whats up. Anybody else who wants to jump in, consider getting in now!

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I'm basing my comic on some concepts I made a while ago. I'm not sure if it should still be called "Dark Side," perhaps something else will come up as I'm writing it. I've also thought of calling it "Curiosity" or "Zarathustra." We'll see.
    My comic is set in an alternate reality cold war era, where the soviets have already established several lunar facilities, but they keep up the illusion of being in the space race to the Americans even though they have won it a long time ago. The comic is about two soviet scientists who go on a mission to uncover what has happened on a soviet moon base on the "dark side" of the moon (actually it should just be the far side, it's not that dark at all).
    Old concepts are included in the spoiler:
    tumblr_mjghfp6Ywz1s6isyvo2_1280.png
    tumblr_mjghfp6Ywz1s6isyvo4_r1_1280.png
    tumblr_mjghfp6Ywz1s6isyvo9_1280.png
    tumblr_mjghfp6Ywz1s6isyvo6_1280.png
    tumblr_mjghfp6Ywz1s6isyvo5_1280.png
    tumblr_mjghfp6Ywz1s6isyvo7_1280.png
    tumblr_mjghfp6Ywz1s6isyvo3_r1_1280.png

And I've also done a 3d mock up of the space ship that transports them from earth orbit to orbit with the moon. I'm trying to keep it fairly hard sci fi (hence gravity rings and pv arrays) but also still a bit pulp-sci-fi'ish (the rocket in the docking module for example.)
    hHkMiVC.png
    RJreLqN.png
    Kdla8K6.png

m3nace on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Wait, so, what happens during NaCoWriMo if everything is written and Inked by then? Is November reserved for coloring and adding dialogue? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    edited July 2013
    It's only written not inked or even penciled as far as I understand.

m3nace on
    edited July 2013
    The likely hood that I will actually have every page inked by november is laughable. From participating in last year, Even If I stayed on track no, it will not. Nano writers often do "camp nano" to help them get all the prep done before they get to november, and this is not much different. The "goal" is to commit to getting 30 pages done in those 30 days, and "done" for me is completely colored and print ready, and I am going to prep for that. If you want to wait for november and sprint, go for it.

The purpose of this is to get you pumped and committed! The pressure, for me personally is still high, I'm setting a deadline, which is no small challenge for someone whos started a lot of comics but never really finished one. I think that finishing is the hardest thing for new comic creators, and that is what natco is combating, above all.

I will probably have my comic "penciled" by november 1, I don't really ink. I'm prepping to have it painted by the end.

Iruka on
  • wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    Oh no! I can't turn down this opportunity! This may be my last chance to be StripSearch worthy!

Now, to start an autobiographical comic, or do something completely different….

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
    Awesome wahay!

I would commit to an idea by September, at the very least. If you are doing something autobiographical, you wont really have to concept too much, which is helpful. Sitting down and figuring out if you have some sort of point, or story in particular you want to tell helps with doing autobiographical stuff.

• McDMcD Registered User regular
    I'd LOVE to do this. I've actually already got an idea ready to get a start on, it's just a question of whether or not I can actually get my shit together... Need to start budgeting my time better to have a chance...

Get on the long track and start now! Its really a good goal to get shit done at the end of each month.

Bumping this thread because I'm interested to see everyone's progress so far! I thought reeeeaaaalllly hard about participating, but I really don't think it is the best idea to start a new project of this magnitude at this point in my life. I'm going to try to see my other projects through to completion and find more paid work instead.

BUT I'm going to take an active support role and hold all of you accountable for your own work! So who's making the commitment?

M3nace
    Iruka
    Wahay
    McD???

Kochikens wrote:
    I just finished a move half way across the country, but in the next few days or so I'll be doing a little character work.

Are any of your projects comics? You could adapt one for nano, rather than start anew.

• sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    I'm going to stick my oar in and commit to getting something done. Been trying to think of a concept this month and I think I might have something. I'll post a couple of character sketches once I have them done.

edited August 2013
    I've been rewriting the first 15 pages or so, before I move on to the last 15. Oh, and it looks like I will be expanding on the story in a second issue and possibly a third, but don't worry; as it is now, issue one can totally stand alone. I have a really solid outline so far and I'm loving the thumbs I've done.

m3nace on
    Iruka wrote: »
    Are any of your projects comics? You could adapt one for nano, rather than start anew.

Some are, but I don't know if a 30-pager is really right for them. We'll see how these next few months pan out, if things take shape and I have the time great, otherwise I don't want to say I'm committing only to drop out if something comes up.

Kochikens wrote:
    carteroutfitmaking.png
    Carter outfits, leaning to the left one, but I kinda like the hobo one. The middle one is probably a little too cool.

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I like these! They are well balanced IMO, but the left one's shoes are are a bit distracting. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like they have a bit more detail than the rest of the character so they draw some focus away. If you do go with that one, I would try to counter that with some strategic colors/saturation. I really like the middle one as well...

Also, I can't tell what the left one's wearing on the neck area. Is that a turtleneck or some scarf like the others?

Its a turtle neck. I was less focusing on the little things and trying to get some overall shapes, there would probably be a little more patterning and detail to even out the pop that the eyes have on the shoes. I was trying to focus on putting the weight/bulk in different areas and seeing what it did.

I need to concept out two other major characters before I can start really pushing the other pre-production things, so I will probably get on that.

Hey @m3nace, My script is really rough, but do you want to trade what we have so far for feedback?

I'm gonna do some reworking over the next couple of days before I let anyone see it. I'd be happy to give some feedback on yours if I can find the time, I'm moving you see (first time living away from my parents o_o) so it might be a while before I get around to it.

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    really nice concepts Iruka, doesn't look quite like anything else

edited August 2013
    Aw man, thanks! I am excited about this comic, trying to keep things simple is helping me feel really comfortable.

Character #2 is coming along, Felicia, who is Carters friend. The only other character that plays a major role is Carter's dad, so if I get that done next week I should be on track for mostly focusing on layout type stuff next month!
    BIR_characterwork1.png

Iruka on
    And Before the month is out, I figured out Carter's Dad.
    BIR_characterwork.png

So September I'm going to try and get a little bit of the setting sketched out before I start diving into layouts. Hopefully by the end of the month I will feel ready to really layout the 30 pages in October. I don't need to ink, and I'm going to keep it in this fairly monochromatic scheme.

carterhouse.png
    Carter's childhood house

• sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    Seriously. If Im the only one doing this I'm going to be the saddest! It will be so much easier if you start planning now!

REAL QUIET IN HERE
    catersuburb2.png

Its still coming together, and I want to finish this guy, but in the next few days I'm going to start smushing together my layouts.

Well! I'm starting to layout things. Hopefully I can crank out pages this month and work out the kinks, taking things to finals in November.

Anyone else? Huh?

Where you @wahay ? @mynty @sampangolin @McD ?

layouts_1.png
    layouts_2.png
    layouts_3.png

I'm a puppy with his tail between his legs. I've done not a single comic since the August.

:C

<:CCCC

wahay wrote: »
    I'm a puppy with his tail between his legs. I've done not a single comic since the August.

:C

<:CCCC

THE DAY IS TODAY, what are you waiting for, whats stopping you? A page layout might take you an hour, tops. Just dive in!

Look, I failed this project last year. By the time I got to the end I was scribbling incoherent pages that barely meant anything, but the learning experience was awesome. I FORCED myself to do something, even if it wasn't to my expectations, I achieved both understanding how hard it was, and understanding how, with a little more forward planning on my part, how much easier it could be. Let go of your reservations, Natco is not about churning out the best project ever, its about breaking down the god awful habit of not seeing something untill its done, or letting something sit in your mind because its too daunting to start.

You can make a comic. You have to start somewhere! JUST START! DO IT! I CANNOT BE ANYMORE PUSHY ABOUT IT!

• McDMcD Registered User regular
    @Iruka, I'm alive! Well, just about... Man, with the move to London and a lot of personal drama my output's took a real hit, I'm barely even managing webcomic updates. Sounds like weak sauce, I know as I write it, I'm gonna try my best to get my finger out and knuckle down. I do appreciate the kick up the arse : P

• TheVictor11TheVictor11 Burlington, OntarioRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I need to get started on mine...I'm still at the character development stage.

edited October 2013
    @TheVictor11 Post stuff!! Even if its just typing it out, it'll be awesome to see at least a little bit! I will totally cheer you on, get moving!

@McD what better way to tackle personal turmoil with the raw accomplishment of getting something done! Forward progress!

@Wahay, YOU TOO!!!

@transatlanticalien, comooooon!

EVERYBODY.

Iruka on
  • SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    I'd love to take part in this but drawing anything that isn't a study or copy from ref is extremely difficult. If I can pull together an idea I might try and take part in this as much as possible.

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    All right, Iruka. I haven't done more than doodle in a few weeks and I have the time right now, so you got me. My wife wrote a cute short story a while back that's about 6 typed pages and I think will work; I'm going to try converting that. I don't know about 30 pages, but I'll commit to 30 panels!

I'm so torn between budgeting personal work between pitching a game and doing a comic.

Until I COMBINE THEM.

…I just thought of that now. Hmm.

• ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    wahay is entering the COMIX ZONE
    Comix_Zone_Coverart.png

and that is really awesome stuff Iruka!

Looking good Iruka, I can't wait to see how it comes together.

I can already tell there's gonna be feels involved.

Kochikens wrote:
  • Mister KentMister Kent PixburghRegistered User regular
    Ooh I wanna try this...so many things to do in November! 0.0

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Ok so are the pages like a comic page? Is there a standard size? i really NEED to do this. This should be the motivation. I will begin prepping tonight. Do you want scripts here or want to see the story unfold day by day?

If you want to get feed back on the script level, feel free to post it. My scripts are so rough, it wasn't really worth posting up because it.

Get on this shit, though. Its tough, but I'd really like for some other folks to stick it out with me!