As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gravity] wants to bring me down

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Just came back from seeing this

This movie and especially the way the special effects were designed and directed exceeded all my expectations

Some parts were absolutely gut-wrenching

• Options
    Panic ButtonPanic Button Robo-cannibal Registered User regular
    I don't get much chance to go to the movies, but I'd really love to see this. Also, the John Mayer reference makes me unusually happy. "Gravity" is a hell of a song.

Drawings and short stories: sketchatron.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Here's the only caveat I would give to anyone considering going to see this movie: Are you the type who has trouble suspending disbelief when story trumps science in filmmaking? If so, take any knowledge you have of orbital physics and check it at the door. Then go enjoy one of the absolute best movies made in recent history.

This advice probably applies to less than .01% of people, but probably a higher percentage of the people that might go see the movie.

It's really fucking great. Go see it!

Captain K on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    If you can do it, you have to see this on the biggest screen possible and with the new Dolby Atmos system. The sound design and VFX work is so goddamn stellar.

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    seeing this in imax after work

i hope it's worth my $45

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    That seems like way too much money for a movie

Or is that standard IMAX?

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    What was your problem with the physics in the movie, Captain K? Just curious. So far I've mostly heard praise of the way physics are portrayed in the movie, with the exception being the statement that
    the combined mass of the fragments hitting the space shuttle probably wouldn't have been sufficient to make it spin like that.

Platy on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    If you can do it, you have to see this on the biggest screen possible and with the new Dolby Atmos system. The sound design and VFX work is so goddamn stellar.

I didn't know what Atmos was until a friend described it to me a couple months ago and it sounds incredible

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    That seems like way too much money for a movie

Or is that standard IMAX?

two tickets, $20 a ticket plus ~convenience fees~

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I saw it at one of the fake IMAX screens so it was big-but-not-big-enough, but it had ATMOS. It was $13 but I will be going and seeing it again in proper IMAX.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    If anyone was wondering: The D-Box on this one actually really adds to the experience.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i can't imagine seeing this movie in imax without getting motion sick

i mean i'm sure it'd be beautiful but i'd probably get too nauseous

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Also I was smiling like crazy when I figured out that
    Ed Harris was mission control

• Options
    What was your problem with the physics in the movie, Captain K? Just curious. So far I've mostly heard praise of the way physics are portrayed in the movie, with the exception being the statement that
    the combined mass of the fragments hitting the space shuttle probably wouldn't have been sufficient to make it spin like that.

Totally spoiling what happens in the movie here.

Seriously, I'm spoiling more or less the entire movie, so don't click on this if you haven't seen it. Go see it. It's awesome.

Sandra Bullock's character makes it from the Hubble to the International Space Station after being rescued by George Clooney's character. The Hubble and the ISS are in very different orbits, and in fact even a US space shuttle would expend far more energy changing its orbit from matching the Hubble to matching the ISS than it would returning to Earth and relaunching for a different orbit. So much energy, in fact, that it's impossible for a space shuttle to make that orbital adjustment. In the film, Clooney pulls off a rescue of Bullock and gets them to the ISS using a jetpack module. Completely impossible.

Then, later, Bullock manages to escape from the doomed ISS in a Soyuz escape pod (this actually exists) and finds herself out of fuel. Her Soyuz pod's parachute has already been deployed, so her goal is to maneuver it to a Chinese space station (this does not yet actually exist) and use one of the other station's escape pods to return to Earth. She eventually does so by firing the first escape pod's "soft landing thrusters", meant to be used to cushion impact on returning to earth, to move her Soyuz pod toward the Chinese station.

As if that wasn't astronomically (lol) improbable enough, Bullock leaps from the Soyuz pod in a spacesuit and corrects her trajectory toward the Chinese station by firing bursts from a fire extinguisher. She then climbs aboard the Chinese station and launches an escape pod to return to Earth, in what is AFAIK actually the most believable bit of "space stuff" in the whole film.

So, if you went into this movie with a chip on your shoulder about its scientific accuracy, you'd probably be mad for its entire runtime.

But fuck that attitude. Just go see it. It's incredible.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I don't get much chance to go to the movies, but I'd really love to see this. Also, the John Mayer reference makes me unusually happy. "Gravity" is a hell of a song.

Glad somebody caught it

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I ain't the biggest John Mayer fan but he played in town while I was in college and I took a girl to see him
    Dude can fucking shred

• Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    This film really is incredible. It really is. I loved it.
    Man, Clooney zipping around in his booster suit at the beginning cracked me up.

• Options
    I can't wait to see it again.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Jeez this movie is freaking fantastic and terrifying.

I think I probably breathed for about 25% of it.

Not really a spoiler, but
    I loved that they really went all out with the near-silence of anything more than a few meters away from the characters.

• Options
    My co-worker who is my literal opposite in film opinions said this was the worst movie she's seen so far this year

I now know it's likely cinematic gold

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    My co-worker who is my literal opposite in film opinions said this was the worst movie she's seen so far this year

I now know it's likely cinematic gold
    that

actually means the opposite thing

• Options
    How do you figure

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    This was probably the most stressful movie I've ever sat through

Also one of the best movies this year, probably the best so far as such things are measured

I spent something like 90% of the movie going through contortions in my seat - at one point I had grabbed the flesh of my face with both hands and pulled by my cheeks.

Absolutely great movie, but it's not for the faint of heart to any degree. This director does dread and suspense like nobody's business

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    As like, one of the .01% who @Captain K was addressing about physics and stuff above, I'd still say go see the film. Yeah, the suspension of disbelief was required for those of us who know better, but it was still spectacular as all hell. And even though I'm a huge space nerd, I'm only slightly less film geek, so I can let it slide. Mostly. But hey, we'll always have Apollo 13, so who cares if this plays a little fast and loose with the physics.

What I will say however is that as a Sandra Bullock sceptic, I was completely blown away by her performance. Like, if you had told me going in that I was about to see one of the all-time greatest portrayals of a strong female protagonist in cinema history going into this film, I would have bet against you, and lost my pants. Just wow. I thought she was amazing, and the character is so full of all those things that we're constantly saying we really need more of in Hollywood. A strong, female lead role that isn't superficial or simple, without needing to sacrifice 'femininity' or whatever. I was really impressed. MOAR LIEK THIS HOLLYWOOD PLEAZE.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Also, I saw it in 3D, and as someone who generally is against that also, I found the 3D to be unobtrusive and completely non-obnoxious. Usually I come out of a #d movie thinking 'yeah, but I really need to see it in 2D now, so I can see it properly'. This time I didn't. The 3D in this worked fine.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yeah, if anything I think this is one of the few movies that the 3D actually adds to the experience.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    ughhhhh i am not looking forward to going to see Parkland with my dad

i don't give two shits about the subject matter and it's going to mean spending all. night. long. listening to him talk about all the details they omitted or got wrong and all his complex theories on what really happened in the kennedy assassination

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    which will then probably spiral into his book idea about a guy much like himself learning the truth about kennedy and getting sucked into a world of intrigue and deadly spy games as a shadowy government cabal tries to silence him

which would at least be funny if A he didn't spend hours on end explaining the concept and B i didn't have to pretend like it sounded like a great idea for a book so that his feelings don't get hurt

• Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    So, should I see this movie in 2D or TRIPLE D?

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I wish I could see this movie because it looks fantastic, and the reviews are universally glowing, but I know I would drop dead from a stress induced seizure within 20 minutes. The trailer alone was hitting all of my terror buttons

If I survived, I would basically be this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npk61XnYU-4

• Options
    edited October 2013
    One thing I will say about Gravity is that when we went to the show last night the theater was P-A-C-K packed, every seat filled. People laughed at early bits by Mr. Clooney, oo he's so charming, etc.

After about the ten minute mark, though?

Nobody made a sound in the entire theater. Not one cough, not one sneeze, not one person getting up to use the bathroom. Not one, for eighty solid minutes.

As the credits rolled I looked at my hands and realized I hadn't even opened my bag of M&Ms

This movie wrote the book on "gripping"

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    simo wrote: »
    i love cuaron, going to see this this weekend hopefully even though the scenario terrifies me

Go see it at the Jordan's in Reading if you can. I know they have that whole vibrating seats setup, but I've never been used to such great effect before. I did not see a movie there. I got a visceral experience.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    One thing I will say about Gravity is that when we went to the show last night the theater was P-A-C-K packed, every seat filled. People laughed at early bits by Mr. Clooney, oo he's so charming, etc.

After about the ten minute mark, though?

Nobody made a sound in the entire theater. Not one cough, not one sneeze, not one person getting up to use the bathroom. Not one, for eighty solid minutes.

As the credits rolled I looked at my hands and realized I hadn't even opened my bag of M&Ms

This movie wrote the book on "gripping"

wait, not once?

not even
    when clooney hops back into the soyuz and pours himself a big cup of hammy vodka?

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Not even then.
    It was so jarring and impossible that nobody immediately reacted to it - and by the time it set in, I guess everyone had figured out what that scene actually was

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'll probably go see this movie next week, just to say I saw one thing that didn't involve superheroes this year.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I can't decide if a really desperately want to see this

Or if I really desperately don't want to see this

I feel like if I go, I want to go all out, IMAX 3D and everything

But I feel like if I do that, I might have a heart attack mid-movie

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It is so good. Just by doing the no sound in space right they were able to have me overlook all the other little physics nitpicks that I would normally leverage. Absolutely loved it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    This movie

Jesus, just... probably the most intense movie experience in an extraordinarily long time.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    This is the first movie I've ever watched that made me almost have an anxiety attack!

So, I dunno if that's good or not, but I loved it.