As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. [Godzilla] HAIL GHIDORAH!

The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository BawstanNew EnglandRegistered User regular
edited April 2014 in Social Entropy++
godzilla-2014-poster-wallpaper.jpg

On May 16, 2014 the original Kaiju returns.

Directed by Gareth Edwards who did the fantastically underappreciated movie, Monsters

Starring Bryan Cranston, Ken Watanabe, Juliette Binoche, and Elizabeth Olsen

Written by Frank Darabont

Now we can forget all about that Roland Emmerich/Matthew Broderick abomination.

Teaser:

http://jordandblack.tumblr.com/post/69060483570/if-you-havent-seen-this-yet-ya-need-to

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKO10hKtYw

*NEW* Second Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIu85WQTPRc

tumblr_mu7jsjUQKJ1sq724ho1_500.gif

ALSO
The original Godzilla from 1954 is being re-released in select theater in the spring.

Check http://www.rialtopictures.com/godzilla.html to see where it's playing.

The Otaku Suppository on

• SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    Monsters was okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

this looks interesting, though

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    I really hope they don't fuck this up. But so far we don't have a foot smashing a T-Rex skeleton and some stupid tag line so already we're lightyears ahead of the last American attempt.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I really hope they don't fuck this up. But so far we don't have a foot smashing a T-Rex skeleton and some stupid tag line so already we're lightyears ahead of the last American attempt.

that trailer was the best trailer godzilla's ever gotten don't you fucking step to the godzilla foot

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

that trailer was the best trailer godzilla's ever gotten don't you fucking step to the godzilla foot

I'd say the new trailer was better.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am so goddamn excited for this movie

Godzilla is one of the best things

CYpGAPn.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    Monsters was okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

this looks interesting, though

Yeah, Monsters was a neat movie that fumbled its ending.

But still, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about his Godzilla, and the casting choices are intriguing.

IKknkhU.gif
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    all of his casting choices are solid

but goddamn if they don't sound like somebody looked at the list of available actors and said "hm. who do those nerds on the internet love most?"

except elizabeth olsen. she's just got an incredible agent

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I need a real trailer and I need it soon

The shot of that giant six-armed corpse cradling the side of a mountain was so good, the way it framed Godzilla as having been a killer of gods

dN0T6ur.png
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    all of his casting choices are solid

but goddamn if they don't sound like somebody looked at the list of available actors and said "hm. who do those nerds on the internet love most?"

except elizabeth olsen. she's just got an incredible agent
    she's also going to be in age of ultron so she's probs going to become someone nerds love

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know...watching that trailer and seeing Godzilla in all his glory.

It made me realize how long we've gone without a good old fashion giant monster disaster flick.

And I don't count Pacific Rim because I would say the focus was moreso on the pilots and mechs.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Cloverfield was probably the last one of significance

Damn good movie, though

dN0T6ur.png
    in this film godzilla represents economic uncertainty

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Ohhhhhhh no

They say he's got to go

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I need a real trailer and I need it soon

The shot of that giant six-armed corpse cradling the side of a mountain was so good, the way it framed Godzilla as having been a killer of gods

That wasn't a mountain. That was a shell.

Olivaw wrote: »
    Ohhhhhhh no

They say he's got to go
    Go go Godzilla!

CYpGAPn.png
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    FYI guys, that 2012 trailer was made before they shot any footage and apparently the tone of the film now is more "disaster movie" than super serious.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The amount of actual carnage in the trailer is kind of amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a disaster movie before that actually showed dead bodies.

Blankzilla wrote: »
    Ohhhhhhh no

They say he's got to go
    Go go Godzilla!

EEEeee-eee

signature-deffo.jpg
    FYI guys, that 2012 trailer was made before they shot any footage and apparently the tone of the film now is more "disaster movie" than super serious.
    While it is definitely disaster movie, Edwards hasn't really faltered in saying the movie is going to be pretty serious and handled with gravitas

CYpGAPn.png

I honestly hope they keep the bodies, though, and don't camp it up too much

I'm sick and tired of movies knocking down tons of buildings and implicitly killing a ton of people without actually showing anyone dying

Bloodless destruction like that is starting to be really off-putting to me

"oh no a terrible thing has happened (but we won't show you anything that might actually let you feel anything remotely genuine about this terrible thing)"

signature-deffo.jpg
    i'm glad that pacific rim avoided that by explicitly showing people evacuating cities under attack

• The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    There better be atomic fire breath in this one. I will rip shit up if there isn't. Yes it might be the most hokey or implausible element (as much as a giant monster movie can be realistic), but it is one of the defining characteristics of Godzilla.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Ohhhhhhh no

They say he's got to go
    Go go Godzilla!

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man

Fire breath has been confirmed

CYpGAPn.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    If this is successful, I'm demanding a modern Gamera film.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Well, he is friend to children

signature-deffo.jpg
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i'm glad that pacific rim avoided that by explicitly showing people evacuating cities under attack

Pacific Rim also neatly avoided this by never having destruction solely because it would make a rad special effect

...well, I mean, MAYBE it did, but it went out of its way to specifically show the Jaeger pilots trying to avoid destroying things too! So that made it okay when the destruction was rad

Like, there's that shot where Gipsy Danger actively steps OVER an overpass, rather than just walking through it. I appreciated that!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I never really cared about Godzilla

That trailer was so good that I now care about Godzilla

edited October 2013

I'll be honest, the Gamera trilogy from the 90s is so good that it basically negates the need for CGI Gamera movie. Not to say I wouldn't appreciate a new Gamera movie in any form, but still those movies are that good. I might go as far to say they are the best kaiju films ever made, fighting Pacific Rim for the top spot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tErGc4ZZ6M4

The Otaku Suppository on
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Gamera 3 is rough as fuck. And man do I freaking love it.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    The Broderick film was unspectacular, but didn't annoy me nearly as much as the travesty that was P. Diddy rapping over 'Kashmir' on the soundtrack.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think I heard this movie is supposed to be similar to the scene in Pacific Rim when the Kaiju attacks the city but for 2 hours or so.

I'm OK with this

So, the official trailer for this movie is due out on Tuesday. In the meantime, there's a viral marketing website to play with.

So far there's not much to it, but it's got a little text box where if you enter in Godzilla related words and phrases you get... interesting results.

I am excited to be excited for this movie

signature-deffo.jpg
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    if they can nail the old school sound effects with a light modern touch

I am down

Xehalus on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    NO FUCK I MISSED IT.

Stupid trailer link...

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I entered "oxygen destroyer" and it spat out "3181811XX 9XX0 SERIZAWA [SXAQ11-XC]"

If you enter in the names of cast members, it gives you the name of the character they're playing by going "Did you mean...". Ken Watanabe is playing "Dr. Serizawa."