As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gravity] wants to bring me down

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I almost don't want the Bluray until I build a proper 7.1 setup. The sound design was stellar.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    yea, this movie wont translate well except to the top tier of home cinemas.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Also possibly the most oppressive, throat-grabbing soundtrack I've ever heard

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    parkland: not a very good movie

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

so did Oswald do it

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

so did Oswald do it

oswald is barely in the movie

it's primarily focused on abraham zapruder getting his his film developed, jfk and later oswald being operated on, and oswald's brother bob dealing with the fall out of what happened

and none of the stories are all that interesting other than "these people are shocked and sad and they are still going to be shocked and sad at the end of this movie, isn't that something"

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Holy fuck this movie is so beautiful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    oh yeah there's also an FBI agent that had been monitoring oswald and had an opportunity to arrest him a week before the assassination but didn't have any reason to at the time

oh and the guy in charge of the secret service

there's just so many characters and their stories barely ever intersect with one another so there's never any time for anyone to do anything

• Options
    and i guess they thought it would be neat to use a hand camera and do a lot of zooming in and out and refocusing as though the cameraman were in the scene with them and was trying to set up a good shot

but it just made it look like an episode of the office

• Options
    and my dad didn't even like it because it was focused on the human interest stuff and not the intrigue and politics which is all he cares about

really really wish we had gone to see gravity instead

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait Parkland is the one Tom Hanks was a producer on, right?
    I had no idea it was out
    I have seen zero advertisements for it

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait Parkland is the one Tom Hanks was a producer on, right?
    I had no idea it was out
    I have seen zero advertisements for it

it's only gotten a limited release, we had to go to the next town over to find a theater that was playing it

• Options
    talk less about that shitty jfk movie and more about this cool space movie

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    i can't on account of i haven't seen the cool space movie

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm not a cynical man - well, sometimes I hella am - but I am finding it super hard to believe this movie is as earth-shattering as everyone claims it is

• Options
    I mean I am normally hella in the bag for Cuaron to start with, I love Children of Men despite my total apathy for Clive Owen.

But it is not only a gorgeous visual spectacle but a supremely visceral experience. I found Bullock's performance pretty moving as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    So does this movie count as science fiction or what?

I mean, yeah it takes place in space, but presumably only uses technology that's already available? (I haven't seen it yet.)

broken image link
  • Options
    It's not presented as science fiction, though the movie takes a few liberties with the laws of physics

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Also there's a part of this movie that manages to homage both 2001: A Space Odyssey AND Barbarella: Queen of Space (the latter likely unintentionally) in the same sequence.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    it's a little bit science fiction in that its setting includes both a large Chinese space station, the ISS, and a Space Shuttle

but otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Sandra Bullock as Samus Aran in a Metroid movie right now please
    bonus points if del Toro and Cuaron co-direct

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Since technology is at the center of the plot and the scenario the movie presents is speculative, I would totally count it as science fiction.

• Options
    I'm not a cynical man - well, sometimes I hella am - but I am finding it super hard to believe this movie is as earth-shattering as everyone claims it is

Well

Ain't but one way to find out

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Well

I read the synopsis on Wikipedia, but based on peoples reactions in here sounds like still a must see

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    My favorite part of Gravity was
    when Ryan first enters the Soyuz and curls up in a fetal position. With the pod door behind her, she resembles a baby in a womb. This was profound symbolism of rebirth, and it felt like an homage to "2001", although that may have been unintentional. When Ryan finally gets back on land, she struggles to find her footing on the beach. She was like a baby figuring out how to walk for the first time. She has been "reborn" as a woman who stops dwelling in the past and focusses on living for the present.

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Well

I read the synopsis on Wikipedia, but based on peoples reactions in here sounds like still a must see

I think that so much of a movie's experience is in the directing and cinematography that reading a synopsis won't really tell you how good it is, but I think that about most media

I still think pretty much everyone should see this movie

Is there anyone in here who actually didn't like it?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    seeing this in imax after work

i hope it's worth my $45

It's $65 here but then I am seriously debating about seeing it in Imax for that price

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Well

I think that so much of a movie's experience is in the directing and cinematography that reading a synopsis won't really tell you how good it is, but I think that about most media

I still think pretty much everyone should see this movie

Is there anyone in here who actually didn't like it?

I just wanted to make sure it didn't take a sudden turn towards Shyamalanland

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I lied I have to go to Denver to see this in 3d Imax
    So it will end up costing me about 2 to 300 for the whole thing
    I guess this will be the first movie I see in 3d here then

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    So, my brother in law (who granted is a bit of a know-it-all) seems to think there's a large plothole in the part where, spoilers obviously
    George Cloony's character let's go of Ryan because he's dragging her off the ISS. My inlaw seemed to think as soon as the cables snapped around Ryan's leg it should have yanked her and him back towards the station. Clooney quickly said why he needed to let go, but I couldn't hear it well because the scene went by super fast. I know this film is Astronaut approved, other than the "let's boost a few hundred miles over to the ISS" part. Was it the centrifugal force from the drifting ISS? Or was it just a mistake?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Man, I feel like the only person who didn't enjoy this movie A TON. The visuals were beautiful and the use of sound was amazing, but the characters were so forgettable and the performances felt pretty weak on the whole (Clooney especially felt phoned-in). I just couldn't relate to Bullock's character at all and that hurt the experience for me.
    The religious symbolism and the prayer stuff really felt tacked on, too. I think part of that comes down to not having nearly enough character exposition. Everything about the very end, when Bullock's character comes up onto the beach and they have that shot from behind her, I thought that was pretty blah. I realize there's some homage there and the Soyuz scene but it was pretty uninspiring on the whole for me.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Okay, I ain't no wuss

But the way people are talking I feel like I need to get a barometer of what to expect

So for people who've seen both (which might not be a lot but you never know) is this movie more or less chest-wrenching than Buried?

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    This movie: whoa. Haven't felt that tense in a movie in forever. Wanna hear all of clooney's stories. Also I usually avoid IMAX, but this one was so worth it

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I once read an article on the failed Russian orbit attempts during the space race. How recordings exist of test pilots sent up in failed craft that would slowly deteriorate as both male and female death screams were heard. It's the one aspect of space travel that spooks me, hearing a transmission of doomed astronauts dying horrifically.

Seeing this movie about an hour ago kinda got to me.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

Just saw.

I'd say it isn't earth shattering pants shitting good, but it is a damn solid bit of craftsmanship.
    Bullock does carry the bulk of the movie pretty well on her own, which is impressive. The cinematography is amazing, the tension is constant without being overbearing, and most of my issues were purely matters of personal aesthetics rather than objective flaws. And Clooney is charming as fuck for his part, but that's kinda a gimmee.

Think, ignoring the science talk, my only solid complaint is that sometimes the film made it a little too obvious that things were going wrong at the exact perfect level to barely miss killing Dr. Stone, but even that's not too bad.

Well worth seeing for more or less anyone who likes movies.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    So I have a question that's not really related to the movie as much as it's related to space.
    In fact I haven't seen the movie yet (will next weekend, probably).

In the trailer Sandra Bullock is seen tumbling around in space. My question is, does she feel it? Does the vestibular system work in space?
    If she was tumbling around with her eyes closed, would it feel to her like she's standing still? And if she opened her eyes would that cause nausea since what her eyes are seeing (tumbling) and what her vestibular system is telling her (no tumbling?) don't match up?

• Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Okay, I ain't no wuss

But the way people are talking I feel like I need to get a barometer of what to expect

So for people who've seen both (which might not be a lot but you never know) is this movie more or less chest-wrenching than Buried?
    I don't remember feeling that tense during Buried but I was definitely tense during this.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    seeing this in IMAX 3D in a few days (real IMAX, too)

I anticipate nausea at best and insanity at worst

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The Dog scene was pretty great, that whole sequence probably being my favorite because I knew she was going to hallucinate from oxygen deprivation

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    So I have a question that's not really related to the movie as much as it's related to space.
    In fact I haven't seen the movie yet (will next weekend, probably).

In the trailer Sandra Bullock is seen tumbling around in space. My question is, does she feel it? Does the vestibular system work in space?
    If she was tumbling around with her eyes closed, would it feel to her like she's standing still? And if she opened her eyes would that cause nausea since what her eyes are seeing (tumbling) and what her vestibular system is telling her (no tumbling?) don't match up?

The best answer I can personally give is that the forces of circular motion would still act on the semicircular canals in the ear (the organ which detects rotary movements). The sensation of rotary movement is created when the fluid inside each canal moves, due to inertia, at a different velocity than the canal itself. I'm sure there's sites out there which can provide better, more specific answers.