As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alternatives to iTunes for buying TV shows

HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
I'm looking for a service that will let me buy seasons of TV shows and do both of the following:

-Download them to a Nexus 4 smartphone (Android) and watch them on the phone without streaming
-Download them in HD to my PC and watch them in HD without streaming

Does any such service exist?

I've ruled out these options:
-iTunes (no Android support)
-Google Play (only streaming, not download, on PC)
-Amazon Instant Video (only certain phones are supported, and mine isn't)
-Flixster (seems to only have movies, not TV shows)
-Vudu (for movies this is perfect, but as far as I can tell no TV shows are available on PC in HD)

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    Might I suggest checking into Target's Target Ticket service? It's not out yet, so I don't have any idea on what its limitations will be, but it will apparently have both movies and TV shows available over it. There's also potentially Wal-Mart's similar service, but having no idea what that does or even how to access it, I can't give you any further details on that other than the fact that it exists.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It'll take a bit more work than just just clicking buy and waiting for the download, but honestly your best bet is probably to buy the things you want on BluRay and rip them to your p.c., and from there to your phone.

• Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    Target Ticket looked promising, but it didn't pan out. To test it I bought the first episode of Dexter, Season 1 in HD. I can download it to my PC, but only in SD. Their sight says that content can only be watched in HD on "HD compatible devices" and apparently my PC doesn't qualify, even though I watch HD content on my PC all the time.

Ripping blu-rays isn't an option. I want to keep everything legal, even if the copyright restrictions are total BS.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hmm. I thought things were still the same here as the used to be with videotapes, but no, it turns out you are NOT allowed to rip a coy of your DVD/BluRay for use on your computer/other devices.

There have been exactly zero incidences of anyone being prosecuted here for having soft copies of movies they own on disc according to the Copyright Council, but it is still illegal.

So ignore my post up there, it's bad and wrong and you shouldn't do it.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    yeah I'm not sure of anyway other than unmentionables

(had posted previous suggestions but I saw they didn't fit one of your criteria so removed it)

Egos on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    maybe take a look at vdio? I haven't actually used the service so I don't know many details on it, just mentioned in a few newsletters since i use their music app. (rdio)