As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BSG:BG] Daybreak Game 1 - Game Over

• Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    I take something back. We've only had 3 skill checks since destiny was rebuilt. This will be the 4th, so there's a 50/50 that the cards are helpful to us.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    3 Cards.

Best I can do.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    3 Cards.

Best I can do.

Wow, that must be one sucky hand. Guess that means SOE is also gone. Damn. Guess it'll have to be the old XO/back-XO to clean up the space mess.

Man... I was so pumped when that mission came out, but now I'm bleeeh... I think the only thing that can save us is a very generous DD or no spike from Kat/Adama. Neither seems likely.

Kaneski on
  • Options
    Kaneski wrote: »
    3 Cards.

Best I can do.

Wow... that must be one sucky hand. Guess that means SOE is also gone... damn. Guess it'll have to be the old XO/back-XO to clean up the space mess.

It is a sucky hand, but I kept the SOE. You said destiny was 50/50 and it seemed like everyone else cleaned themselves out, so I saved the one shining bright spot in a bad hand for future use.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Kaneski wrote: »
    3 Cards.

Best I can do.

Wow... that must be one sucky hand. Guess that means SOE is also gone... damn. Guess it'll have to be the old XO/back-XO to clean up the space mess.

It is a sucky hand, but I kept the SOE. You said destiny was 50/50 and it seemed like everyone else cleaned themselves out, so I saved the one shining bright spot in a bad hand for future use.

Without the mission, and assuming Adama played Scout for Fuel into it... our fuel management is now priority 1, which (in large part) means solving the space problems. We can attempt another mission another jump cycle, but we need recovery time. At distance 5, 2 jumps with 2 distance/1 fuel + the 1-distance mission which is considerably easier might be our best bet.

This means no letting out Kat/Adama even if there's no spike on the mission and they're both humans. Sorry lads, but we can't handle crisis-based skill checks AND Cylon activations at the moment, so even if you are both human, you might be better off in the brig, not triggering crisis cards.

Kaneski on
  • Options
    Fuel management is still gonna be a priority even if we succeed it. We'd have to get a little lucky to do 7-10 in one jump, and plenty of crisis cards drain fuel.

• Options
    Fuel management is still gonna be a priority even if we succeed it. We'd have to get a little lucky to do 7-10 in one jump, and plenty of crisis cards drain fuel.

Absolutely... which is another reason we need cards more than freedoms.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Turn 22: Samuel "Doc" Cottle (Cutfang)

Mission Step: The Search For Home

Skill Check [25] Politics + Leadership + Tactics + Engineering
    Pass: This card counts as 2 distance. The next time the fleet jumps, place this card next to the Earth Objective Card.
    Fail: -1 fuel. Then turn this card facedown on the "Active Mission" space.

Skill Check Contributions
    Destiny Deck - 2 cards
    Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) - 2 cards
    Gaius Baltar, Daybreak ver. (Phyphor) - 0 cards
    Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Grunt's Ghosts) - 1 card
    Lee Adama, Daybreak ver. (Tenek) - 1 card
    Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) - 3 cards
    D'Anna Biers (Kaneski) - 2 cards
    Sherman "Doc" Cottle (Cutfang) - 5 cards

Politics 4 - Popular Influence
    Leadership 2 - Executive Order
    Leadership 3 - Declare Emergency

Tactics 0 - Trust Instincts
    Tactics 1 - Guts and Initiative
    Tactics 1 - Launch Scout
    Tactics 1 - Launch Scout
    Tactics 1 - Launch Scout
    Tactics 2 - Guts and Initiative
    Tactics 3 - Unorthodox Plan
    Tactics 5 - Critical Situation

Engineering 1 - Repair
    Engineering 1 - Repair
    Engineering 1 - Repair
    Engineering 4 - Scientific Research
    Engineering 4 - Scientific Research

Skill Check abilities are ignored for Mission cards.

Check Total: 4 + 5 + 14 + 11 = 34, Pass. +2 Distance.

Raptors are sent out to the source of the signal where an ancient outpost is found. Miraculously, there are salvageable records to be found, pointing the way to heretofore unknown territory where a legendary Earth may potentially be found.

Turn 23: Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah)

Receive Skills Step: Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) draws 3 Politics and 2 Tactics cards.

The Politics deck is exhausted after blahmcblah's draw, and the discards are shuffled into a fresh deck.

Current Situation:
    BSGBG-GameD01-T23-1.gif
    Resources: Fuel - 4, Food - 5, Morale - 5, Population - 9.

Jump Preparation: Level 3 - Jump unavailable.
    Pursuit Track: Level 3.

Distance Covered: 7

Galactica: Weapons Control damaged, 1 Centurion (Step 1).
    Pegasus: Engine Room damaged.

Nuke Tokens: 2 remain.
    Quorum Cards: 2 in hand.

Active Quorum Cards:
    Accept Prophecy - Prevent transfer of President title via the Administration location or increase difficulty of Admiral's Quarters checks against the President by 2; card is used once before discarded.

Ship Reserves: 4 Viper Mk II, 2 Raptors, and 1 Assault Raptor available, 4 Viper Mk VIIs damaged.

Characters:
    Samuel "Doc" Cottle (Cutfang) - Bridge (2 Skill Cards)
    President Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) - Quorum Chamber (5 Skill Cards, 1 Mutiny Card, Mutineer)
    Gaius Baltar, Daybreak ver. (Phyphor) - Basestar Bridge (1 Skill Card)
    Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Grunt's Ghosts) - Brig (3 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    Lee Adama, Daybreak ver. (Tenek) - Brig (8 Skill Cards, 1 Mutiny Card, 1 Miracle Token)
    Admiral-CAG Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) - Main Batteries (5 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)
    D'Anna Biers (Kaneski) - Command (2 Skill Cards, 1 Miracle Token)

Galactica Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - 1 Basestar, 3 Raiders.
    Starboard-bow (11 o'clock) - 2 Raiders.
    Starboard-quarter (1 o'clock) - 2 Civilian Ships.
    Aft (3 o'clock) - 3 Civilian Ships.
    Port-quarter (5 o'clock) - 2 Viper Mk. II.
    Port-bow (7 o'clock) - None.

Cylon Space:
    Fore (9 o'clock) - None.
    Starboard-bow (11 o'clock) - 3 Raiders.
    Starboard-quarter (1 o'clock) - 1 Basestar.
    Aft (3 o'clock) - 3 Raiders.
    Port-quarter (5 o'clock) - 1 Raider.
    Port-bow (7 o'clock) - 3 Raiders.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Hell yeah. Break out the champagne, humans! Much as I'd like, pilots can't be released until we get cards and space safety. Yes, they can make it safer, but not without crisis activations. We can release them both using state of emergency. Cain SoE/XOs me for space safety and Kat/Adama can use SoE to break brig.

Edit: and if I read that right... Fuel is still in our hands, woo!. If SoE/XO on me is the plan for civilians, then the only remaining threat is the centurion. C'mooooon Brutal Force.

Kaneski on
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Yes! Total fist pump. I really didn't expect us to sail past the goal post like that. Is the mission card not actually added to distance until our next jump? If I read that correctly, isn't Blind Jump still on the table?

Anyway, where's Critical Situation when I need it? No movement, activate Quorum Chamber

• Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    Huzzah! I had a power cut for nearly a day, and this is quite nice to get back to. Glad we overkilled that check.

Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    Is the mission card not actually added to distance until our next jump? If I read that correctly, isn't Blind Jump still on the table?

The distance applies immediately after the Mission is passed, but (in real life space) is not moved to the rest of the distance cards until the next jump to show that there is an active mission on the Demetrius board. This is clarified on page 14 of the rulebook.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Ah, bummer. Also a bummer: my Quorum card draw. Draw another card.

• Options
    Turn 23: Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah)

Movement Step: blahmcblah stays at Quorum Chamber.
    Action Step: Activate Quorum Chamber, drawing one Quorum Card, then drawing a second.

Aboard Colonial One, the President works with the Quorum to figure out the next steps. Meanwhile, the scouting team continues salvage operations aboard the ancient outpost. Plans are made to try and bring as much of the old technology back to operational power to gain as much information possible in the search for Earth.

Crisis Step: Legendary Discovery

Skill Check [14] Tactics + Piloting
    Pass: Place this card next to the Kobol Objective card. It counts as 1 distance.
    Fail: -1 Food and destroy 1 raptor.

After Crisis: Launch Raiders

Skill Check Contributions
    Destiny Deck - 2 cards
    Gaius Baltar, Daybreak ver. (Phyphor) - (max. 1 card)
    Louanne "Kat" Katraine (Grunt's Ghosts) - (max. 1 card)
    Lee Adama, Daybreak ver. (Tenek) - (max. 1 card)
    Helena Cain (Professor Phobos) -
    D'Anna Biers (Kaneski) - (max. 2 cards)
    Sherman "Doc" Cottle (Cutfang) -
    Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) -

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Ha.

Well, maybe I should have busted out last time. I can help a small amount (well, unless we decide fuel doesn't matter).

Do we have a realistic chance of passing? Who else has any significant TAC left?

• Options
    We should definitely try for this. If you guys have decent piloting cards left, I'm pretty sure we can get there.

• Options
    Also, yeah, tossing in Scout for Fuel would be good here. Distance without fuel is just as good as gaining fuel.

• Options
    It's the Brig part that's the issue - I can only throw in one card.

• Options
    Also also Play Politics 4 - Investigative Committee

• Options
    All player contributions to the check must be made face up. I suppose we're doing this in order as well, considering the nature of the check?

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Yes, please.

• Options
    Guts & Initiative or Jury Rigged would be nice if anyone's got one.

• Options
    Or At Any Cost, since we're likely to get Treachery from Destiny.

• Options
    Yes, but not guaranteed.. plus a bunch of those are zeros anyways.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I think we're all drained. Look at the mission contribution - Guts and Initiative are out, At Any Costs are in the discard a while ago and leadership is yet to be shuffled (I think). Lots of other cards gone.

For my money - Investigative was good no matter what happens. Assuming Phyphor will pass, because he holds tactics. Oh... I shouldn't say that. If it's trust instincts, that would go in for both treacheries in the destiny. Either way, I say we wait to Kat's contribution. If she has a high piloting or tactics - we chance the fuel. If not - we just got a huge win with the mission, let's not get greedy by really gambling against destiny - at this point, I'm almost certain its 2TRE, 1PIL and 1ENG. Engineering HAS to be running low, and we've only seen 3 high-value cards.

Either way, we're clear for Phyphor to mess with jump/pursuit or... whatever he wants to do, then let the pilots stew and then the 2nd game-winning move of State of Emergency :D

Incidentally - I would highly recommend Mr Adama draw politics to help with the brig checks - SoE is coming, and only Blah has Politics refreshed.

Kaneski on
  • Options
    If we're doing this in order, I'll start poking people. @Phyphor

• Options
    Are we sure there's a 3-card in the destination draw?

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Nope

• Options
    We have to contribute in order but we can talk in whatever order we want. I think everybody knows what I have by this point.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Tenek wrote: »
    Are we sure there's a 3-card in the destination draw?

Aye, but destination deck is big. Planning for it is not good planning. Even if we XO you, Kat and Cain (edit: forgot Doc and Romo.. wow, we ARE tactics-rich) for all your scouts, we're likely to run out of raptors before we get through half the destination deck. And definitely not before we auto-jump at which point its moot.

1-destination crisis is appealing, as it cuts down the win from 3 more jumps to 2; but honestly BSG is a 5-jump (total) game, we're doing very well, about to diffuse civs and space, so... I could let this one go. Unhappily, but let it go if Kat doesn't have a high-value to play.

Kaneski on
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Nope

@Grunt's Ghosts You're up next buddy.

• Options
    I'm ok with drawing Pol but a) I'll draw a TAC anyways and b) losing an XO is probably worse than spending another turn in the Brig.

Romo, if Kat and I both throw in good cards, how confident are you that you can get to 16+? I'm hoping someone also has a DE just in case.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    If Phobos plays State of Emergency - everyone gets free actions. We should set up for both you and Kat to use those actions to activate brig & escape. You're only going to be in the brig for YOUR action, the phoint of which is to stop a crisis draw. By then Phobos will draw more tactics to help with the brig checks, too.

Actually, depends on Phyphor if he pursuit tracks, 2 civs come on and CAG-place-civs and then I'll need both your and Cains XOs to make it safe.

Kaneski on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Piloting 4 - Maximum Firepower!!!!

• Options
    Piloting 4 - Maximum Firepower!!!!

Good. Good enough? @Tenek up next.

• Options
    Tactics 6 - Scout for Fuel

• Options
    The die is cast... @Professor Phobos

• Options
    I'll get us close... Hoping for something from Phobos and that someone has DE.

• Options
    (meanwhile, Blarney stares at the -11 Destiny to come and snickers)

• Options
    edited October 2013
    0 Cards.

Professor Phobos on