As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] The Harrowing draws near

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    And there's the second loss.
    2-2 now. Dunno what to do. On one hand, I need closure, and on the other, matchmaking is decidedly not my friend tonight.

Play it tomorrow

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    I'm not sure you're allowed to call the opposing team bad if they are 60-20, regardless of how shitty their mechanics are. Just saying.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    From the AnnieBot AMA:

[–]SETTLEDOWNSIR
    what happens if they ban annie

[–]AnnieBotNA
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Incoming loss.
    No jk, I play Janna. And usually feed. Unless there's a duo bot. Then I'm completely screwed because there's literally nothing else I can do at a diamond 1 level lol
    permalinkparent

[–]cycostinkoman
    Play Volibear, build a sunfire, and just be Tibbers all game.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Oh hey, Anniebot got to challenger. I played with him two weeks ago in the Berkeley legends tournament.
    How did I not know about a tournament in my area? Rami you're in charge of keeping me updated on this shit.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    HMM

I'm only getting 5 LP per win, which is odd.

I hope it starts giving me 10-15 again soon. :/

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ExpigatorExpigator Registered User regular
    In an effort to save some from a rant, i've put it into a spoiler. In essence, went from bronze 1 76lp to 3lp in 6 games.
    So this morning, 76 points into Bronze 1 ready to move to promotions. I was winning 5 of 6 games in a row, jungling Nasus and feeling really good about my individual gameplay. Here's my list of games that now has me at 3 LP tonight.

Ragequit
    Ragequit
    AFK
    Loss to fed diana (jung) / liss (mid)
    Loss to fed ahri
    Ragequit

And i'm back at the bottom of the barrel. I mainly jungled most of those, and the times people were fed i tried the camping a lane routine. Stopped a 6/0 pantheon feed top once but the others just wasted time.

There were times when I messed up clearly.... I don't know if i should just give up on this game or hope that at SOME point this TEAM game will have a team of 5 sensible individuals. Hell i got support nid not buying wards and just running around the jungle throwing spears. I got Ziggs going 0/9 against lissandra. What can i do to get out of this mess...duo que? That lowers my chances of getting a R-tard in my game. When i play a game, 5 on 5 with no bs. I win 75% of them. I've lost a few do to mental mistakes and a few due to enemy skill. As a jungler its not as much about individual skill as it is game awareness...though the skill helps.

What do i do? I was so pissed after the game that knocked 17 LP off me for a raging tryndamere that i wanted to write it off. Go back to COD where my own abilities will take me there.

Should I learn mid? It feels like there is more power there to single handedly win the game. Should I play more offensive junglers? Vi, Aatrox, Voli? I build a ridiculously tanky nasus but my 0/8 mid leblanc gets face melted before any damage is put out.

Or should i literally just leave it up to the gods that there will be a string of 10 games where it can be 5 on 5 with smiley faces all around. Or is that the gold/plat levels...the promised land as they say? I'm thinking of just waiting for season 4 and bypassing all hopes of getting to gold by the 31st but i thought with this awesome gov't furlough would give me the time to get there. I've heard it's not much better in high silvers but i've played some games with all silvers and i love that the skills are relatively improved.

I think tonight will just consist of some keyboard slamming and mouse throwing....maybe just some fist shaking at the heavens..

"Look out here comes"..."Susan"..."Suuuuuuuuuuuuusan".
    "Woah, I just scared myself!"
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    So

is full movespeed janna who only tries to backdoor your points a common thing on dominion

because holy fuck that was the most obnoxious thing I've ever played against

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    POOOOTTTEEERRRSSS

that's called pooting, in "honor" of the noble P00TERS, the dominion player who pioneered constant, continual backcapping with Zilean

it's not that common, and it's not even that good, but it still pops up from time to time

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    5 lp again.

What in the fucks

RIOT PLZ

I don't understand what is happening.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Expigator wrote: »
    In an effort to save some from a rant, i've put it into a spoiler. In essence, went from bronze 1 76lp to 3lp in 6 games.
    So this morning, 76 points into Bronze 1 ready to move to promotions. I was winning 5 of 6 games in a row, jungling Nasus and feeling really good about my individual gameplay. Here's my list of games that now has me at 3 LP tonight.

Ragequit
    Ragequit
    AFK
    Loss to fed ahri
    Ragequit

And i'm back at the bottom of the barrel. I mainly jungled most of those, and the times people were fed i tried the camping a lane routine. Stopped a 6/0 pantheon feed top once but the others just wasted time.

There were times when I messed up clearly.... I don't know if i should just give up on this game or hope that at SOME point this TEAM game will have a team of 5 sensible individuals. Hell i got support nid not buying wards and just running around the jungle throwing spears. I got Ziggs going 0/9 against lissandra. What can i do to get out of this mess...duo que? That lowers my chances of getting a R-tard in my game. When i play a game, 5 on 5 with no bs. I win 75% of them. I've lost a few do to mental mistakes and a few due to enemy skill. As a jungler its not as much about individual skill as it is game awareness...though the skill helps.

What do i do? I was so pissed after the game that knocked 17 LP off me for a raging tryndamere that i wanted to write it off. Go back to COD where my own abilities will take me there.

Should I learn mid? It feels like there is more power there to single handedly win the game. Should I play more offensive junglers? Vi, Aatrox, Voli? I build a ridiculously tanky nasus but my 0/8 mid leblanc gets face melted before any damage is put out.

Or should i literally just leave it up to the gods that there will be a string of 10 games where it can be 5 on 5 with smiley faces all around. Or is that the gold/plat levels...the promised land as they say? I'm thinking of just waiting for season 4 and bypassing all hopes of getting to gold by the 31st but i thought with this awesome gov't furlough would give me the time to get there. I've heard it's not much better in high silvers but i've played some games with all silvers and i love that the skills are relatively improved.

I think tonight will just consist of some keyboard slamming and mouse throwing....maybe just some fist shaking at the heavens..

Stay positive, you just had a string of bad luck. As you said, you won 5/6 games before this. Focus on what you can change (increase map awareness, direct teammates) instead of what you can't (AFK/Feeders/Rage Quit). Just enjoy the ride and try out different champs/roles. Have you tried our very own forum approved sure-win Janna build yet?

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    POOOOTTTEEERRRSSS

that's called pooting, in "honor" of the noble P00TERS, the dominion player who pioneered constant, continual backcapping with Zilean

it's not that common, and it's not even that good, but it still pops up from time to time
    The one time I watched Dominate Dominion a Janna chased Pooters the entire match. He lost :(

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    So

is full movespeed janna who only tries to backdoor your points a common thing on dominion

because holy fuck that was the most obnoxious thing I've ever played against

The counter to that is to dedicate one person to "anti-pooting". Everyone completely ignores the Janna expect for the designated hunter and the game turns into a 3 top 1 bot 1 roam match.
    Coinage wrote: »
    POOOOTTTEEERRRSSS

The one time I watched Dominate Dominion a Janna chased Pooters the entire match. He lost :(

That would be MadSuppordle (previously known as Zimike). He loved hunting pooters and I remember he even had a rune and mastery page just for it.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    I know Talith will hate this, but can we just nerf the living shit out of Riven's Broken Wings -> Ki Burst combo, please? It's the most infuriating thing in the world; there's no counter-pay to it, she spends no resources to do it and it's too damaging for the amount of disruption it creates. You can't attack her during the combo or after it, so you're guaranteed to lose the trade.

It's dumb that beating Riven requires you to pick one a specific selection of counter-picks.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    yay I hit my promo again

pacstar and I have pretty good success when duoing

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Namiiii

wow

so wave

such bubble

very win

oh wow

Also these gold/10 quints and a new mastery build from mobafire feel like they made a difference. Remapped my Nostromo as well, and successfully cleared a stun effect from myself for the first time. Trying to get used to activating items!
    @skippydumptruck

spool32 on
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular

Ragequit
    Ragequit
    AFK
    Loss to fed ahri
    Ragequit

You need to do 1 or 2 things to get out of bronze:

1) Get better at this game, review your losses with lolreplay, count your missed CS, check each time you died as to why you died, maybe seek input from a better player
    2) Play a lot more games, and stop caring about winning them. (Do win them, just don't care if you do or don't). Being able to shrug off a loss and get into the next game without going on tilt is crucial to ending loss streaks. If you cant get off tilt, stop playing till you can.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Lost my last promo. Matched up against 3 high gold players. My team was silver with two low golds. I won lane and then we got annihilated late game because my mid silver zac decided to undertake a series of unbelievably stupid engages and they punished him and us for it.

I guess I'm silver for life.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »
    Pretty sure EdWard quit (to join whatever new EU team is forming?) Dominate was banned for 1 year from professional play and his alt accounts were permabanned. Zekent and Pobelter make sense. Aphromoo is questionable but maybe he'll perform better in his preferred role.

I don't expect Curse to do well in the next two splits but I'm excited to see the mixups. Lots of people coming of age to actually play in LCS means a lot of team shakeups.
    Good guy phro back on a team? Instant second favorite
    Spectrum wrote: »
    ffffffff

Team if I tell you that my best role is x and my worst role is y and you make me do y, why are you bitching all game that I am not performing all that well?

It depends on what role y is for you, and also where you are in the draft order.

I don't think you would do this, but people who demand a carry lane as 5th pick and say "I can totes win mid my Kass is too good but gosh I just idk how to support"

Yeah.

Every non 5 person premade that I feel like even slightly tryharding, I post the following: "best at top / jungle. worst at bottom lane." [sometimes I amend "bot lane" to "ADC" if I'm in the mood for considering support]

I'll fill support if I'm pick 5, but if you're making me play my worst role, you're saying either:

a. "Do your best, I think I can carry hard enough to merit me getting your best lane instead,"
    or
    b. "I'm a fucking asshole."

I'm competent enough to take reasonable runes / masteries, ward the lane, try to be in position, etc. or alternatively last hit, harrass, stay in position again, help with dragon, but you cannot expect miracles out of someone in their worst lane.

I've generally been with reasonable people lately, but in season 2 I actually had to duo queue because I got last pick 5 times in a row, and inevitably every game I played mediocre to slightly bad, despite asking for top, and top lane carried 0% (not an exaggeration) of the time, so I duo queued intentionally to get guaranteed first pick and consequently won almost every game after that point.

Interestingly I am 3-2 this season as support.
    Yes, exactly. When I'm in ranked, I post this first thing:
    "Best at jungle, okay at top/mid, so-so on bot"

Usually I get jungle, failing that top. I've almost never gotten mid posting that, every now and again I'll get stuck in ADC or Support.

When picks are distributed and it's between me and a guy with higher pick deciding between jungle and support and he takes jungle and then people bitch at me when I'm not playing on point, I get tetchy.

In terms of supports, I don't even own Nami or Thresh and I don't feel I should be required to buy every new OP as shit champ for my worst role. I didn't even buy Elise or Zac when they were hilariously OP junglers (and now I'll get Elise for free so I feel totally vindicated).

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Lost my last promo. Matched up against 3 high gold players. My team was silver with two low golds. I won lane and then we got annihilated late game because my mid silver zac decided to undertake a series of unbelievably stupid engages and they punished him and us for it.

I failed my promo 3 times.

Just keep at it, if its matchmaking you against golds you will be back into a promo after 1-2 games.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Draygo wrote: »

I failed my promo 3 times.

Just keep at it, if its matchmaking you against golds you will be back into a promo after 1-2 games.
    Short rant, self-pity, etc.
    Getting back to promo is easy. It's just that every promo starts with 2 easy games and then 3 games where my team is SUBSTANTIALLY worse than theirs by all possible metrics. They are ranked more than a full league below their opponents, they cs poorly, they trade poorly, they rotate poorly, they ward poorly and have bad map awareness, and they have no idea how to control objectives. I am fine with playing against gold players to prove I deserve to be in gold, but why in the fuck do I have to carry a team of mid silvers against high golds just to get into gold V?

pyromaniac221 on
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    5 lp again.

What in the fucks

RIOT PLZ

I don't understand what is happening.

Bro, you've got THE CLAMPS. Did you duo with a naughty girl from the bar?

:D You are approaching a rating very close to your MMR. This is causing you to get less LP per game until you can raise your MMR again. This also happens at the #1 division of any league as well. So if you're silver or bronze 1, that happens as well.
    Draygo wrote: »

Ragequit
    Ragequit
    AFK
    Loss to fed ahri
    Ragequit

You need to do 1 or 2 things to get out of bronze:

1) Get better at this game, review your losses with lolreplay, count your missed CS, check each time you died as to why you died, maybe seek input from a better player
    2) Play a lot more games, and stop caring about winning them. (Do win them, just don't care if you do or don't). Being able to shrug off a loss and get into the next game without going on tilt is crucial to ending loss streaks. If you cant get off tilt, stop playing till you can.

For #2, I highly recommend laughing. Think about how stupid the game was. I played a ranked game where my trist had 8 cs to Caitlyn's 40+. HAHAHAHA. What is that bronze 5 scrubtier shit hahahahhaa. I am actually laughing out loud remembering it. Because it was so ridiculous. Really though, laughing causes a physiological response. It really really really does help. It also puts things into perspective.

• Options
    Promo to me is just spamming play until I finally beat it. Its rough, its supposed to be rough.

• Options
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »

I met her at Semi's. Video is pretty much spot on.

Also, skipped Plat IV, now Plat III. The last bit of motivation I needed to push for Diamond!

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Hi thread, if some classy gent here would download this replay:
    http://www.leaguereplays.com/replays/match/3529913/

And give me a few pointers, that would be swell. I really feel like we should have won this one and am kinda aggitated that we didn't. Be warned, its a long one. Thanks in advance. Oh, and this replay actually works, promise.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Just got the fortunate "Your MMR is higher than where you are. Here you go, skip a division!"

Went 2-0 in my first promo now that I got into silver and jumped from Silver 5 to Silver 3. Maybe I can hit gold this season if I can keep my MMR ahead of where I'm at.

*EDIT* Lolking has my rating at 1290 currently. Not sure what gold cutoff is. Still have a ways to go though I know.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Just got the fortunate "Your MMR is higher than where you are. Here you go, skip a division!"

Went 2-0 in my first promo now that I got into silver and jumped from Silver 5 to Silver 3. Maybe I can hit gold this season if I can keep my MMR ahead of where I'm at.
    Winning is 100% attitude, 50% skill and -50% math

• Options

You are approaching a rating very close to your MMR. This is causing you to get less LP per game until you can raise your MMR again. This also happens at the #1 division of any league as well. So if you're silver or bronze 1, that happens as well.

Oh crap.

So it's going to be like this all the way through Silver I?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

You are approaching a rating very close to your MMR. This is causing you to get less LP per game until you can raise your MMR again. This also happens at the #1 division of any league as well. So if you're silver or bronze 1, that happens as well.

Oh crap.

So it's going to be like this all the way through Silver I?

It all depends on you. If you're winning a couple, losing a couple, then possibly yes. If you keep winning eventually you'll break through and start to get larger gains. I've been going rought 7-3 or 8-2 in every ten games. And have had quite a few large winning streaks including a 2 or 3 game winning streak to go into my bronze to silver promo's, 3-0 my promo, then when my first game in silver. Not sure if I won my second. I'm again 8-2 in my last 10 after my 2 losses, with a win streak somewhere after my loss after my previous win streak hitting silver. And because of that, I 2-0'd my promo (with 2 wins in a row going into it) and jumped from Silver 5 to Silver 3.

It's all anecdotal, but the bottom line is the more you win, especially in streaks, and don't go on any major losing skids, you will eventually see more LP gains. What it means when you're getting 5 and the such is it doesn't think you're ready for the next tier.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

Ragequit
    Ragequit
    AFK
    Loss to fed ahri
    Ragequit

Usually I'd break each league up and offer specific advice but ..
    The thing is, the better you get the more things can technically go wrong so while the players in gold might be better, you will still rage because you will recognise a whole new slew of mistakes you or your teammates can make.

Things I've learnt in LoL:

Don't lose lane.
    If you can't win it, play passively and try to farm as best you can. If you've picked a farming champ you're ok, if you've picked an assassin then you will need to roam as you're going to be useless later on if you can't get fed off your laning opponent.

Ward.
    The river. Their jungle. If you're the jungler and bot isn't warding, do it for them. Either you want to win or you don't. Gotta play the hand you're dealt, even if that includes baby monkey retards.

Don't hamstring yourself.
    "This one time, I went 45.0.50 as veigar". Awesome. Good for you. How about the rest of the time where your team has to carry you or you lose outright. Particularly at lower elos, picking the "strong" champs gives you alot of slack. You can afford to make mistakes. Picking the niche champs that do not fit into the current meta as well can work but is very unlikely to happen in bronze.

Gameflow.
    If you take a tower first, push that advantage by pressing other objectives. If you lose the first objective, catch the enemy team or one of their carries and then flip the game around.

DAT EGO
    At the end of the day ... you're where you belong. As much as it sucks to have to admit, this is a team game and individual performance isn't going to cut it in the long run. Think of the game differently. Think of it like a starcraft match. If your mid lane is doing great but your bot is getting shit on, would you not send your strong unit down bot to clean that mess up? Why not do that with the other mentality? Vanity, that's why! Some games cannot be won, I can admit that, but generally, if you're better than the average person in your bracket then you will win more than you lose and climb the rankings.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ward.
    The river. Their jungle. If you're the jungler and bot isn't warding, do it for them. Either you want to win or you don't. Gotta play the hand you're dealt, even if that includes baby monkey retards.
    thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    My problem with that advice is it's much much easier to play a champ you know well than one everyone thinks is strong.

I was a monster season one and two with garen. Doesn't mean he was terribly good, but I knew the champions limits from playing him so much.

Or I can't get mad any game I play as heimer. That champ is so much fun. That my win rate with him is pretty high is just due to familiarity.

• Options
    At the end of the day ... you're where you belong. As much as it sucks to have to admit, this is a team game and individual performance isn't going to cut it in the long run. Think of the game differently. Think of it like a starcraft match. If your mid lane is doing great but your bot is getting shit on, would you not send your strong unit down bot to clean that mess up? Why not do that with the other mentality? Vanity, that's why! Some games cannot be won, I can admit that, but generally, if you're better than the average person in your bracket then you will win more than you lose and climb the rankings.

...Except that it's not like a starcraft match at all, because Starcraft is a 1v1 game where individual talent is literally all that matters. That is a terrible analogy.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    In fact, I can't think of a comparable game genre, where your 'perforamce' is based 1/5 on your own skill and the rest of it is trying to cobble together a victory from whatever garbage the matchmaker throws at you.

Kinda like a roguelike I guess?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    If you genuinely think your play only accounts for a fifth of your teams effectiveness you have a lot of room to improve.

• Options
    If you genuinely think your play only accounts for a fifth of your teams effectiveness you have a lot of room to improve.

That or it's, y'know, my opinion of how the game functions. You're free to disagree of course.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Only he is right, you are 1 person of 5, and this romantic notion that if you are a good player you can win despite there being 4 totally ineffectual people in your team is absurd.

Individual matches are totally different to statistics. Statistically if your performance is consistently good your chance to win matches goes up and so does your MMR. But on individual cases welp, you are pretty much at the mercy of the matchmaker unless you are WAY WAY better than your opponent.

The corollary to this is that the closer your performance is to your current ranking, the more matches you will need to stabilize on your performance level. Or in plain English, unless you are secretly diamond it takes a shit ton of matches for your performance to make a difference.

Australopitenico on
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular

He just means that taking care of himself only secures 1/5, purely by ratio. Not that he can't influence the rest of his team positively.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »

He just means that taking care of himself only secures 1/5, purely by ratio. Not that he can't influence the rest of his team positively.

It is a team game, good play consists of more than just taking care of yourself.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Only he is right, you are 1 person of 5, and this romantic notion that if you are a good player you can win despite there being 4 totally ineffectual people in your team is absurd.

Individual matches are totally different to statistics. Statistically if your performance is consistently good your chance to win matches goes up and so does your MMR. But on individual cases welp, you are pretty much at the mercy of the matchmaker unless you are WAY WAY better than your opponent.

The corollary to this is that the closer your performance is to your current ranking, the more matches you will need to stabilize on your performance level. Or in plain English, unless you are secretly diamond it takes a shit ton of matches for your performance to make a difference.

It's like poker. If youre a good player despite the hands you get dealt you still consistently play better than your opponents.

Individual skill means more than just the cards youre dealt (teammates) it means leveraging your advantages and enforcing their errors.

So no it's not absurd. Your opponents are in the same boat as you. Find a weakness and exploit it.

This discussion has been closed.