As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Government Shutdown: Operation Slime Down

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »
    No one in congress actually cares about ending the shutdown anymore, do they :'(

basically no

its gonna come up to the debt limit unless something amazing happens in the next week that averts the shutdown before then

i really do not need this

then turn off the news and read a book?

because, barring a miracle, there is another week of shutdown and then things either get way worse or become only as bad as they were a month ago

you need to do something with your time because you're gonna drive yourself crazy if you just sit around stressing out more and more and more

I suggest reading A Song of Ice and Fire.
    At best you'll have a shit ton to read, at worst you'll be prepared for the breakdown of society and whatnots.

Woah Woah Woah

Suicide by boredom isn't the answer!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    ASOIAF is a good idea cause it'll definitely hold someone's attention away from the political bullshit going on right now

it'll let them get worked up over fictional bullshit as an alternative to real bullshit

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    and even given the current situation, you can always feel a little bit better by saying "well, at least it's not like in Westeros"

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I've done nothing all morning but try to get through the line-busy beeping noises to nevada unemployment this is not conducive to reducing stress but I can't just ignore it

Ledneh on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    At this point I would not count on a shutdown resolution until the debt ceiling deadline

• LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    what're the chances a resolution won't be reached even then?

and who's going to blink?

f24GSaF.jpg
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    The more important question is:

What are we going to do once this thread is closed? D:D:D:

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Start a pie discussion thread to talk politics in of course

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Truckers plan on blockading the beltway in protest

http://jalopnik.com/truckers-pissed-at-government-to-jam-up-d-c-beltway-a-1442180138

Man fuck these dudes, beltway is terrible enough.

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    lostwords wrote: »

http://jalopnik.com/truckers-pissed-at-government-to-jam-up-d-c-beltway-a-1442180138

Uh

That also sounds like they are planning kidnappings

Awesome?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    The more important question is:

What are we going to do once this thread is closed? D:D:D:

If Larlar and the mods don't meet our demands to raise the thread limit then we're going to shut the entire forum down.

Lockout wrote: »
    what're the chances a resolution won't be reached even then?

and who's going to blink?

I think the most likely outcome to this is no changes to Obamacare, but another sequester-like deal that takes place after the 2014 elections

• LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    so keeping things just about as dysfunctional as they can be without a total meltdown

depressing

f24GSaF.jpg
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

tumblr_m6cxbx4MgW1qg8477.png

Mwx884o.jpg
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    'Cause we got a great big convoy

Rockin' through the night.

Yeah, we got a great big convoy,

Ain't she a beautiful sight?

Lockout wrote: »
    so keeping things just about as dysfunctional as they can be without a total meltdown

depressing

it takes a true leader to get nothing done even though both parties have huge agendas a mile long of things they would do in a heartbeat if only they had absolute control of the government

my thoughts

Boehner didn't want a shutdown, but Cruz and his relatively small legion of congressional allies have brought them here. But now that Boehner has crossed the Rubicon, he's not going back empty handed

Establishment GOP has been working overtime to make sure the public knows that "this is all Cruz's fault" to try and take some of the sting out of the likely electoral repercussions

Obama has a giant toolbox of things he can offer Boehner at any time he wanted to but hasn't, because he prefers to play politics at every opportunity possible. He knows that a few weeks of shutdown will not end the United States, and all of the ire and blame about the heartfelt personal tragedies of government workers lives being interrupted can be so predictably redirected to the Republicans that anyone who pays attention to this stuff can mouth his stump speeches as he's giving them without an advanced copy

He has next to no political incentive to act quickly and every day he delays is a chance that the GOP will surrender. Obama will only do something when the state is at risk, which is roughly the debt limit plus or minus a couple of weeks.

The GOP will get something significant as a going-away present and suffer political consequences which they will attempt to redirect toward the Tea Party in hopes of vanquishing them once and for all... which would be a positive for both parties.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Except that if he gives Boehner any of those things, even if they are trivial, it will allow for this exact same situation to occur next CR or Debt Ceiling time. This is not good governance.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Uh

That also sounds like they are planning kidnappings

Awesome?

I am looking forward to the 1-3 arrested truckers while no one else takes part in this hilarious bullshit

2x39jD4.jpg
    Enc wrote: »
    Except that if he gives Boehner any of those things, even if they are trivial, it will allow for this exact same situation to occur next CR or Debt Ceiling time. This is not good governance.

If the congress wasn't routinely ignored up until the moment of crisis, then maybe these things wouldn't have to play out like an episode of 24 all the time

you can take stuff like the debt limit and wrap it up into all kiiiinds of legislation at any point you desire

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The stakes are a bit out of balance.

If Boehner caves, he catches electoral flak, maybe loses his seat or Speakership.

If Obama caves, he legitimizes the hostage tactic being played, crippling the Senate and Executive branch for the foreseeable future and allowing the government to be shut down any time a vocal House minority wants a cookie.

Jasconius wrote: »

If the congress wasn't routinely ignored up until the moment of crisis, then maybe these things wouldn't have to play out like an episode of 24 all the time

you can take stuff like the debt limit and wrap it up into all kiiiinds of legislation at any point you desire

Man

Can I hire you to come up with a crazy rationalization next time I don't want to go in to work or something?

I hear this "legitimize hostage tactic" thing parroted all the time

tell me, if the "hostage tactic" becomes legitimized, exactly what is the perceptible difference between that and what we have now

it happens almost every time

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    When you Deny a 10 to 1 deal in your favor you don't get to call the other side unwilling to compromise

also: Boehner can do whatever he wants, his seat is hella safe. it would take world war 3 or ebola to remove him from office, so buckle up

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Yes, the second time this has happened in 18 years is almost every time.

sig.gif
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

tell me, if the "hostage tactic" becomes legitimized, exactly what is the perceptible difference between that and what we have now

Not with the debt ceiling though. If I remember correctly nobody ever threatened to deny raising it until this crop of tea partiers rose to power.

Every time being twice?

Last time they got something. So they did it again.

If they get something this time, they'll do it again. And this time it's not even "durr debt is budget spending is bad", it's "there's an unrelated law we don't like."

So if this works, they get to pick every law they don't like but can't actually repeal and shut down the government until it gets taken out.

There is murder in the city slums. Despite meager enforcement and some hand waved actions to stop it, murders are still occurring.

Do we:
    1) Give the murderer's steak dinners with expensive wine
    2) Stop the murderers from getting food (short term)

Just because it is possible it will happen again doesn't give reason to reward that action. Anyone who has dealt with a pet or child knows this intuitively.

Maximum wrote: »

Not with the debt ceiling though. If I remember correctly nobody ever threatened to deny raising it until this crop of tea partiers rose to power.

Prior to 1995 there was a rule where every time the budget passed the ceiling raised, it was repealed, and then we had a shutdown.. which was resolved for the rest of Clinton's term

and since then, this is the first era there has been a GOP house and a Democratic president at the same time

It's expected that you'll only see debt limit controversy when the President wants to spend money and the party that doesn't want to spend money controls the house

democrats don't exactly care

"Hi I'll have a Big Mac value meal"

"Yes sir right away but first, are you a murderer?"

"...

...yes. :("

"Then I'm afraid I can't serve you sir"

"I'LL KILL YOU"

"OH NO THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I REFUSED TO SERVE YOU"

sig.gif

There is murder in the city slums. Despite meager enforcement and some hand waved actions to stop it, murders are still occurring.

Do we:
    1) Give the murderer's steak dinners with expensive wine
    2) Stop the murderers from getting food (short term)

Just because it is possible it will happen again doesn't give reason to reward that action. Anyone who has dealt with a pet or child knows this intuitively.

the issue with your comparison is only dyed in the wool liberals think that's a valid comparison at all in any way

Prior to 1995 there was a rule where every time the budget passed the ceiling raised, it was repealed, and then we had a shutdown.. which was resolved for the rest of Clinton's term

and since then, this is the first era there has been a GOP house and a Democratic president at the same time

It's expected that you'll only see debt limit controversy when the President wants to spend money and the party that doesn't want to spend money controls the house

You just proved the point that it is only the GOP which wants to damage America through hostage governance.

Just so you guys feel better about the state of the world

As we teeter on the brink, our top trending twitter topics are

#happybirthdaybrunomars
    #carrie
    #parishilton

You are welcome

Oh, come on now. The world is always ending. If you dwell on that nonstop you won't be able to function at all without going crazy.

You just proved the point that it is only the GOP which wants to damage America through hostage governance.

I proved that the GOP is the only party who has any reason to challenge a president against increasing spending. Obama doesn't have to let it go to Sudden Death Overtime. He chooses to.

Happy birthday, Bruno Mars!

sig.gif
    edited October 2013
    SimBen wrote: »
    Happy birthday, Bruno Mars!

Bruno Mars is shit

And I like pop music

Chincymcchilla on
    Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve his special day to be awesome.

sig.gif
    Just so you guys feel better about the state of the world

As we teeter on the brink, our top trending twitter topics are

#happybirthdaybrunomars
    #carrie
    #parishilton

You are welcome

why is paris hilton trending?

miley cyrus is the trainwreck of the month

I proved that the GOP is the only party who has any reason to challenge a president against increasing spending. Obama doesn't have to let it go to Sudden Death Overtime. He chooses to.

Nope.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.