As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Government 2.0: Digital Boogaloo

LanglyLangly Registered User regular
Hi guys, we don't have a working government at the moment. It's kind of a big deal! People are talking about it and stuff.

You can go here to get a summary of what's going on and how things have changed since the initial shutdown.

Basically this is what the US looks like right now

us_states_outline_sad.gif

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    How does cartoon US feel about butt stuff?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

SmileyFaceUSMap.jpg

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular

Ambivalent, but infinitely preferred to existential uncertainty

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hey you know what sucks?

Austerity politics

fuck you, austerity politics

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I am constantly astounded by people who parrot Republican talking points and how little they actually understand the workings of government.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

SmileyFaceUSMap.jpg
    It scares me that some of those appear to be covered in brown

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular

Sad+United+States.jpg

• BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    Sorry I havent been able to keep track of this
    important matters closer to home have got my attention
    shat_zps1bbba982.jpg

sig-1.jpg
    He looks so upset

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • shwaipshwaip Registered User regular

VSAStSs.gif

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Another politics thread?! I demand satisfaction.

/throw glove

Pistols at dawn.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    If butt stuff is being brought up again, are we talking about cheese as well? Because chevre is pretty great.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    How about pie? I love me a good pecan pie.

i haven't seen boogie nights but i need to

i need a whole paul thomas anderson marathon

i heart There Will Be Blood

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Berk wrote: »
    Sorry I havent been able to keep track of this
    important matters closer to home have got my attention
    shat_zps1bbba982.jpg

damn that dude is my hero

EzUAYcn.png
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Real talk time Jasc ignores all points that specifically ask him for specific responses to things we specifically already know and have quotes and videos of republicans to back up the specific points we (and I use the royal we because I haven't made one single productive post in these threads)

He doesn't say anything

He ignores the posts that explicitly prove him wrong and quotes other posts and says more dumb things

This is not political affiliation

This is a troll at best and an actual republican at worst

Why guys

Why

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    pecan pie is delicious

If poopin down chimneys is wrong

Crwth doesn't wanna be right

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Real talk time Jasc ignores all points that specifically ask him for specific responses to things we specifically already know and have quotes and videos of republicans to back up the specific points we (and I use the royal we because I haven't made one single productive post in these threads)

He doesn't say anything

He ignores the posts that explicitly prove him wrong and quotes other posts and says more dumb things

Why guys

Why

I feel like this post explains the Republican Party as a whole

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular

He doesn't say anything

Why guys

Why

I don't think we need to pile on. It's good to talk about shit. There are a lot of people who have some honest misunderstandings about some pretty complicated stuff. So we can either talk to them or ignore them, and they may or may not decide to change their mind based on the new information. That's how I feel about it.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

He doesn't say anything

Why guys

Why

Nah, he's alright.

If he's trolling, he's refined it to such a degree that I can appreciate it.

If he's not and he truly believes everything he posts, then whatever, people are allowed to have wrong opinions on stuff and I don't let it upset me.

He doesn't say anything

Why guys

Why

There were a whole bunch of posts at the end of that compared republicans so some sort of murders or criminals of something, I didn't reply to each one of those sorry

I wish I had the time to respond to every individual post, which come at a rate of about 10-15 posts for every post I make, but I do actually have a job to do

However, I hope you are all sitting down for this. YoSoWalrus is right, I made a bad, bad misreading of the corporate mandate and I was wrong about it. He is right, uncovered corporate workers will be required to use the exchanges

If the GOP's private transcript is to only block the CR to halt Obamacare on the basis of the individual mandate, then that is wrong, however I don't think that's the real goal of GOP leadership

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    No no no i am not calling for a dogpile I am saying this is a person who has never participated in discussion in full good faith that I can see

and like I actively watch people get frustrated interacting with him

And I wonder after so many political threads why anyone still bothers beyond a few posts

lfYVHTd.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    He IS a capital r Republican, as far as I can tell.

• LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    so sometimes it's fun to think about the darkest timelines, however ludicrous they may be

like how extra fucked would we be if something like this simulation happened during the government shut down

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dark_Winter

f24GSaF.jpg
    While the deflection or selective responses is true, that's no reason to attack the person or call him a troll. On places like Fark or CNN comment sections you get people who don't believe what they are talking about and just post talking points as part of their job, that's certainly not where Jasc is in the greater scheme of things if his post history and responses in the thread are any indication.

I don't agree with the guy, I think he does mind-bending doubletink at times to support his points, but all in all I'd still buy a round for him. Like all of you here, we're pretty decent folk.

Except for Crwth and his chimney-pooping ways.

Jasconius wrote: »

He doesn't say anything

Why guys

Why

There were a whole bunch of posts at the end of that compared republicans so some sort of murders or criminals of something, I didn't reply to each one of those sorry

I wish I had the time to respond to every individual post, which come at a rate of about 10-15 posts for every post I make, but I do actually have a job to do

However, I hope you are all sitting down for this. YoSoWalrus is right, I made a bad, bad misreading of the corporate mandate and I was wrong about it. He is right, uncovered corporate workers will be required to use the exchanges

If the GOP's private transcript is to only block the CR to halt Obamacare on the basis of the individual mandate, then that is wrong, however I don't think that's the real goal of GOP leadership
    those are not what I was referring to

you actively say things that do not jive with reality and when presented with evidence that this is the case, you ignore the post and move on to another one that has less support at the moment

I am not referring to the murderers comments

maybe if I feel like putting my back into it I'll go grab the posts im talking about to show you.

But I also think you know exactly what I'm talking about

lfYVHTd.png
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    It's good to have voices from the other side of the asile to debate against.

This thread being a complete echo chamber isn't really useful or satisfying.

I am calling him an internet troll not a troll of a person

I don't think he's a bad person

I wonder why you guys pay as much attention to him as you do for as long as you do when it is clear there is no communication

I never read a Jasc post and think anything is different than the last time I read a Jasc post

I'm not saying flame him and yell and dogpile I don't know where you're getting that from

I am saying in my observations, prolonged interaction with him is futile and a waste of time

But I mean it's the internet why are we here but to waste time

lfYVHTd.png
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    So apparently tea party truckers might stage a protest on the Beltway, somehow to get the government to do its job? Even though near as I can tell it's their counterparts in the House who caused the shutdown in the first place? I am baffled by this and if these morons actually screw up my commute this weekend I'm going to flip out.

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular

Because I have fuck all else to do until the shutdown ends

My point exactly

lfYVHTd.png
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    So apparently tea party truckers might stage a protest on the Beltway, somehow to get the government to do its job? Even though near as I can tell it's their counterparts in the House who caused the shutdown in the first place? I am baffled by this and if these morons actually screw up my commute this weekend I'm going to flip out.

It's going to be awesome when none of them actually show up

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

I'm confused, I thought the government being shut down is what they wanted.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Whoo still can't get my unemployment claim through. Probably have to defer my student loan payments again.

The worst part is, even if they somehow manage to get shit up and running today, the way my job works means I probably won't have anything to do till November anyway.

X22wmuF.jpg
    I am calling him an internet troll not a troll of a person

I don't think he's a bad person

I wonder why you guys pay as much attention to him as you do for as long as you do when it is clear there is no communication

I never read a Jasc post and think anything is different than the last time I read a Jasc post

I'm not saying flame him and yell and dogpile I don't know where you're getting that from

I am saying in my observations, prolonged interaction with him is futile and a waste of time

Up until a little while ago this was a way bigger piece of the forums

We are I think, slowly getting better about having actual conversations though

I think even the GB thread has improved

Jasconius wrote: »

He doesn't say anything

Why guys

Why

those are not what I was referring to

you actively say things that do not jive with reality and when presented with evidence that this is the case, you ignore the post and move on to another one that has less support at the moment

I am not referring to the murderers comments

maybe if I feel like putting my back into it I'll go grab the posts im talking about to show you.

But I also think you know exactly what I'm talking about

If you're talking about the use of the debt limit as a weapon then I don't know what else to tell you. The GOP has a right to do that. They were elected. The house has been empowered with that ability. It's that way for a reason. They take major political risks by doing it. There've been 17 shutdowns, only 2 at the hands of a Republican speaker, so they hardly invented it. That it has only happened twice since 95 has more to do with political coincidence than anything.

What I'd appreciate is a little more debate substance than a careful mixture of "well they only have the house because of gerrymandering" and "it's a law so they should just roll over"

yes, the GOP should do exactly nothing because you don't like them, sorry dawg, I'm not eager to debate you on those terms

Also it is important to remember that when reading these posts of kine I am not upset

I just do not believe Jasc participates in these discussions in earnest

Which isn't to say that I do

I am just saying rather than get frustrated with the guy

Ignore the guy and move on

lfYVHTd.png
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    No, the truckers are doing it because they want the President and some members of Congress to be arrested for arming Al-Qaeda and imposing totalitarian emissions standards.

Brian Krakow on
This discussion has been closed.