As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Government 2.0: Digital Boogaloo

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I am willing right now to call John Boehner and tell him to end this if one of you can convince Barack Obama to agree to start pronouncing "Pakistan" as "Pack-ih-stan" instead of "Pocky-Stan"

You have the power, SE++

Pockystan, a country dedicated to delicious cookie sticks covered in delicious flavored coatings, sounds like a wonderful place.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    If this works, and the Tea Party gets what they want, what is the fucking point of voting on laws anymore?

That's basically why the President's position is "fuck off, you get nothing, give me a clean bill or go home."

Also the only viable solution if you're interested in the continued health and prosperity of the United States of America.

This is the tragedy here. If there is compromise in this fashion, the house and senate are broken in their correct state forever. Nothing can pass so long as the minority isn't happy, and the shutdowns will cripple our capabilities internationally and at home. Look at BBC or any other international news organization, every country watching us is baffled and alarmed. This sort of event is how republics literally have failed and fallen apart over history.

That won't happen to that extent here, not right away, but if this becomes common use than fringe on both sides will start using it every year and that will end the US as we know it.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i was going to link an onion article in here but ffffffffffffffffffffff
    Brolo wrote: »

fffffffffffffffffffffffffff

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Also

Navigating your way through the maze that is a government robot telephone menu to get to an actual human being is an exercise in madness

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    all right

is there any legal way that the president can order the government back to work, short of declaring martial law?

because i am not cool with apocalyptic plagues getting started because of political deadlock

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Oh, good, and here I am eating some fresh cooked chicken thighs, that's not raising my already stratospheric stress levels at all

damn good thighs though. mmm, paprika and garlic

Ledneh on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    If this works, and the Tea Party gets what they want, what is the fucking point of voting on laws anymore?

That's basically why the President's position is "fuck off, you get nothing, give me a clean bill or go home."

Also the only viable solution if you're interested in the continued health and prosperity of the United States of America.

This is the tragedy here. If there is compromise in this fashion, the house and senate are broken in their correct state forever. Nothing can pass so long as the minority isn't happy, and the shutdowns will cripple our capabilities internationally and at home. Look at BBC or any other international news organization, every country watching us is baffled and alarmed. This sort of event is how republics literally have failed and fallen apart over history.

That won't happen to that extent here, not right away, but if this becomes common use than fringe on both sides will start using it every year and that will end the US as we know it.

the larger context is that the U.S. is facing a huge demographic shift while also dealing with globalization head-on. what should be happening is the U.S. valuing high-tech industries and advanced education to compete and lead. instead, we're stuck squabbling on how to fund those efforts less while continuing to watch our infrastructure age and crumble.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013

What we need is the polar opposite of what we have in controlling parties

Mitt Romney in the Oval Office, a republican senate, and a democratic house

democrats are such wheenies they'll never shut anything down

IVE SOLVED BRINKSMANSHIP

Jasconius on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    And I was going to have chicken tonight, dammit.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    all right

is there any legal way that the president can order the government back to work, short of declaring martial law?

because i am not cool with apocalyptic plagues getting started because of political deadlock

I don't know, it has a pleasingly stupid feel to it, something like this precipitating the omega plague seems like it'd be thematically consistent

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options

IVE SOLVED BRINKSMANSHIP

If that were the case I would be arguing the exact same point, Jasc. This isn't good governance. It isn't about party, it's about having a functioning government both on Capitol Hill and in your local community. What about the possibility of American collapse due to this don't you understand or agree with, specifically?

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Real talk time Jasc ignores all points that specifically ask him for specific responses to things we specifically already know and have quotes and videos of republicans to back up the specific points we (and I use the royal we because I haven't made one single productive post in these threads)

He doesn't say anything

He ignores the posts that explicitly prove him wrong and quotes other posts and says more dumb things

This is not political affiliation

This is a troll at best and an actual republican at worst

Why guys

Why

There were a whole bunch of posts at the end of that compared republicans so some sort of murders or criminals of something, I didn't reply to each one of those sorry

I wish I had the time to respond to every individual post, which come at a rate of about 10-15 posts for every post I make, but I do actually have a job to do

However, I hope you are all sitting down for this. YoSoWalrus is right, I made a bad, bad misreading of the corporate mandate and I was wrong about it. He is right, uncovered corporate workers will be required to use the exchanges

If the GOP's private transcript is to only block the CR to halt Obamacare on the basis of the individual mandate, then that is wrong, however I don't think that's the real goal of GOP leadership
    those are not what I was referring to

you actively say things that do not jive with reality and when presented with evidence that this is the case, you ignore the post and move on to another one that has less support at the moment

I am not referring to the murderers comments

maybe if I feel like putting my back into it I'll go grab the posts im talking about to show you.

But I also think you know exactly what I'm talking about

If you're talking about the use of the debt limit as a weapon then I don't know what else to tell you. The GOP has a right to do that. They were elected. The house has been empowered with that ability. It's that way for a reason. They take major political risks by doing it. There've been 17 shutdowns, only 2 at the hands of a Republican speaker, so they hardly invented it. That it has only happened twice since 95 has more to do with political coincidence than anything.

What I'd appreciate is a little more debate substance than a careful mixture of "well they only have the house because of gerrymandering" and "it's a law so they should just roll over"

yes, the GOP should do exactly nothing because you don't like them, sorry dawg, I'm not eager to debate you on those terms

Well they only have the house because of gerrymandering

and

well

it is a law so they should just roll over

sig.gif
  • Options

the larger context is that the U.S. is facing a huge demographic shift while also dealing with globalization head-on. what should be happening is the U.S. valuing high-tech industries and advanced education to compete and lead. instead, we're stuck squabbling on how to fund those efforts less while continuing to watch our infrastructure age and crumble.

you don't need to fund "high-tech industry"

what you need is a business climate that makes it conducive for American companies to compete without having to have a Brinks truck pull up from the US Treasury every month to make payroll

When I read liberals talk about "high-tech", I now assume that's just code for "green energy"

Which I am for, but not the way the Dems want to do it, propping up specific companies. Send that money to Universities, let the foundational research be done there instead of giving it to Elon Musk so he can buy a second mega-yacht.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    How does the US feel about Pies v Cake?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    eating chicken #yolo

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »

Most people I know say Pie

They are, in fact, cripplingly insane

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

IVE SOLVED BRINKSMANSHIP

with that formula the Senate republicans would be less radical, and we'd end up at least with a more (relatively) moderate legislative agenda.

problem is, the GOP have done such a good job attacking women, people of color, and LGBTQ folks that this configuration likely won't happen, well, ever. not unless women, people of color, and LGBTQ folks all leave for Canada.
    Harper's gonna have a fit

the problem is partly the two party system, but the larger problem is the hard-right Tea Party in the House. the same thing would be true if there was an extremist wing of the Democratic party.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    And again, context is important here. This isn't shutting down the government because one party wants to make some disastrous decision to institute slavery, or declare nuclear war, or fund a law which will immediately and irrevocable damage American lives. The only difference between whats is asked and what is going on is a delay in people getting healthcare which really, the potential negative impacts on jobs and the economy that Republicans have stated they fear are 10-50 years down the line. Plenty of time before they start to occur to gain back the House, Senate, and Presidency or enough of those two to correct or repeal the law through traditional, constitutional means.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular

"Both, please"

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular

Pie all the way because of the crust.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Damn, now you're going to have to cook it instead of eating it raw.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    minirhyder wrote: »

Pie all the way because of the crust.

I'm sorry sir

He's convinced pie is better than cake

Euthanasia is the only option

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Do cakes have buttery, flaky crusts?
    I don't think so.
    They just have mushy bread.

• Options

If that were the case I would be arguing the exact same point, Jasc. This isn't good governance. It isn't about party, it's about having a functioning government both on Capitol Hill and in your local community. What about the possibility of American collapse due to this don't you understand or agree with, specifically?

Define collapse. The US Dollar not being a reserve currency? That would require default and default will not happen. The threat of default however frequent is not the same as default. Even a shitty US bond is still really really really good compared to almost any alternative.

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    cheesecakes fall into the cake category

so

i think i'm going to have to go with cakes, sorry

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    through extensive personal reflection and treat-sampling, I have discovered what I love above both pies and frosting-y cakes are olive-oil based cakes

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I don't think so.

I will never understand in all my years why flaky is ever a positive

It just gets everywhere

Also, I'm allergic to like half of pies, so they are the far more discriminatory foodstuff

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Damn, now you're going to have to cook it instead of eating it raw.

I'm not the one thats going to be cooking it though. The dude at the fried chicken place is.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

you don't need to fund "high-tech industry"

what you need is a business climate that makes it conducive for American companies to compete without having to have a Brinks truck pull up from the US Treasury every month to make payroll

When I read liberals talk about "high-tech", I now assume that's just code for "green energy"

Which I am for, but not the way the Dems want to do it, propping up specific companies. Send that money to Universities, let the foundational research be done there instead of giving it to Elon Musk so he can buy a second mega-yacht.

except that the "free market" inherently tries to knock down tech that could lead the way.

Elon Musk is actually a great example. right now the traditional auto makers are doing their damndest to sue Elon Musk's Tesla operations out of existence. they're also lobbying as hard as they can to make Tesla's model of direct sales completely impossible. the auto industry fears any disruption in their profits, and their shareholders support that fear and any effort to cut into their own dividends.

and then on "green" energy, what's really needed is a diversification of energy. the world's incredible dependence on oil feeds a terrible market and fuels unrest. and yet oil corporations lobby and litigate as hard as they can to retain profits and put down anything that could break their hold. shareholders support that because, in the short term, an energy monopoly guarantees profits. no one's looking at the long term, where diversified energy sources could solve a lot of problems, not just pollution, but costs and geopolitical problems arising from oil.

and last, i'd support funding universities and colleges on research, but that's not what's happening. the GOP has been sounding the trumpet for defunding education generally.

the free market is ok in the sense that it provides a driver for society, but it is also terrible in the sense that the main incentive is to make money as quickly and as cheaply as possible, with little regard for the long term consequences or for big-picture societal goals. Gov't regulation and legislation is necessary to balance pure market corporatism.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options

Define collapse. The US Dollar not being a reserve currency? That would require default and default will not happen. The threat of default however frequent is not the same as default. Even a shitty US bond is still really really really good compared to almost any alternative.

Collapse of continuing our government effectively. Increased quantities of furloughed employees and shut down parks, permits and services. This shutdown is costing the US taxpayers millions every day that business is on hold waiting for employees to function. The FBI, NSA, and Military have all expressed that our abilities to defend ourselves and perform basic peacekeeping operations have been massively diminished. Research at universities across the country has been immediately stopped as grant payments were put on hold pending the shutdown completion. Our credit rating may well be downgraded again which would damage markets and will be another contributing factor to economic shift in the reserve currency.

I agree with you that the likelihood of the currency shifting short term is slim to none, but these sort of things happening every year for the next ten years will certainly cause most nations and investors to look elsewhere. After this continues for a reasonable time frame, the Euro, Yuan, Yen, or Pound might become the reserve currency.

You are looking at this short term. Yes there are problems with both sides. Yes there are problems with the ACA. No this isn't the way to fix it.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i by and large do not like cake, not a fan of the majority of frostings and find cake itself to be a little boring most of the time

exceptions:

lemon cake with lemon frosting
    ice cream cake [specifically cheesecake named desire from cold stone, it is what i ask for every birthday]
    the aforementioned cheesecake
    tres leches
    and there's this one cake i find at a birthday party or gathering every once in a while that is just ridiculously soft yellow and just a touch mushy and always has this light creamy delicious white frosting but i don't know what it's called and never ask

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i do not like cupcakes

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Fuck all this
    I'm gonna jerk it and then take a nap and then get drunk

• Options
    i by and large do not like cake, not a fan of the majority of frostings and find cake itself to be a little boring most of the time

exceptions:

lemon cake with lemon frosting
    ice cream cake [specifically cheesecake named desire from cold stone, it is what i ask for every birthday]
    the aforementioned cheesecake
    tres leches
    and there's this one cake i find at a birthday party or gathering every once in a while that is just ridiculously soft yellow and just a touch mushy and always has this light creamy delicious white frosting but i don't know what it's called and never ask

Butterscotch icing

Caramel icing

Get better icing

• Options
    bry bry have you had red velvet

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    bry bry have you had red velvet

i have indeed, but much like carrot cake, i'm mostly there for the cream cheese frosting

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Fuck all this
    I'm gonna jerk it and then take a nap and then get drunk

TUESDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS!

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    I don't think so.

I will never understand in all my years why flaky is ever a positive

It just gets everywhere

Also, I'm allergic to like half of pies, so they are the far more discriminatory foodstuff

Flaky just goes together with buttery, and I don't think I should explain to anyone why buttery is a good thing.

Also can you have a meat cake? No. No you cannot. That's disgusting.

You can though have a meat pie.
    28091_Nachitoches_Meat_Pies_620.jpg
    Or a veggie pie.
    pie_480.jpg
    A fruit pie.
    1a26415e-e3d2-4cbf-af9f-598e631ae0c3.jpg
    A cream pie.
    twd-banana-cream-pie.jpg
    You can also have a cheese pie, similar to a danish, except with better crust.
    pie+face+pear+and+ricotta.jpg
    Anything goes for pies.

• Options
    well

cream cheese IS delicious

This discussion has been closed.