As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Government 2.0: Digital Boogaloo

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    If you cook chicken correctly, I'm 99% sure you can't get salmonella from it. That being said, still a shitty situation.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    had a red velvet donut this weekend

it was good

and despite always thinking of red velvet as "good", probably the first time I've actually thought a red velvet anything was really tasty

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    How does the US feel about Pies v Cake?

"Both, please"

you forgot "in an all you can eat buffet"

• TamTam Registered User regular
    lol we're fatsos

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    If this works, and the Tea Party gets what they want, what is the fucking point of voting on laws anymore?

That's basically why the President's position is "fuck off, you get nothing, give me a clean bill or go home."

Also the only viable solution if you're interested in the continued health and prosperity of the United States of America.

This is the tragedy here. If there is compromise in this fashion, the house and senate are broken in their correct state forever. Nothing can pass so long as the minority isn't happy, and the shutdowns will cripple our capabilities internationally and at home. Look at BBC or any other international news organization, every country watching us is baffled and alarmed. This sort of event is how republics literally have failed and fallen apart over history.

That won't happen to that extent here, not right away, but if this becomes common use than fringe on both sides will start using it every year and that will end the US as we know it.

What we need is the polar opposite of what we have in controlling parties

Mitt Romney in the Oval Office, a republican senate, and a democratic house

democrats are such wheenies they'll never shut anything down

IVE SOLVED BRINKSMANSHIP

We had a Republican president with a weenie Congress for 8 years under Bush and we got the Iraq War, Gitmo, an entire American city lost to a hurricane, and a collapsing economy to top it all off.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    how about a pie with cake filling.

or a cake stuffed with a pie.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Sigh

Yes, pies cakes and waffles

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    how about a pie with cake filling.

or a cake stuffed with a pie.

cherpumple-pie.jpg

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    That actually looks pretty damn terrible and I would not want it in my mouth.

Also they forgot to put bacon somewhere in there.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Never realized how hungry politics made me.

(Now I'm gonna have to track down some good pies, cakes and/or waffles this week. Thanks jerks)

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Yeah that cakepie blasphemy needs additional layers of bacon, grilled cheeses and fried eggs, garnished with Guy Fieri's severed head

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Place near my parents' house makes a thing that's basically an apple pie on top of a cheesecake and it is murderously delicious.

I have still not heard anyone from the right make a coherent, rational argument that the shutdown is necessary and will accomplish literally anything, has someone done this and I didn't hear?

Apparently that is A Thing and it is called Cherpumple for extra grossness.

• SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Never realized how hungry politics made me.

(Now I'm gonna have to track down some good pies, cakes and/or waffles this week. Thanks jerks)

Hmm, I have a new tactic to prevent polarization of our government. All politicians are required to eat a slice of delicious pie or cake (their choice) and cuddle a puppy, kitten, or other adorable animal (subject to allergy restrictions) every day before congress is called to order.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Please tell me they didn't use an upside down pumpkin pie for the bottom layer of that montrosity.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wow
    Only took 4 pages to go back to being a food thread

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    New plan: if your party isn't interested in keeping the government open and functioning, you get disbanded.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Hey dudes I'm pretty sure there is a real food thread.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wow

I would rather have delicious food and also important updates about the government thread than grumping about the government 24/7 thread.

Cause I can do that second one just fine by myself.

X22wmuF.jpg
    In terms of actual good cakepie, I have had pumpkin pie cake, and it is tasty.
    piczVXzuK.jpg

• LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    Wow

not even in the obvious way, via chicken

the age old pie vs cake conversation

thinking about the various ways of feeding a sugar addiction is a lot less depressing than thinking about the sorry state of things

f24GSaF.jpg
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    If this works, and the Tea Party gets what they want, what is the fucking point of voting on laws anymore?

That's basically why the President's position is "fuck off, you get nothing, give me a clean bill or go home."

Also the only viable solution if you're interested in the continued health and prosperity of the United States of America.

This is the tragedy here. If there is compromise in this fashion, the house and senate are broken in their correct state forever. Nothing can pass so long as the minority isn't happy, and the shutdowns will cripple our capabilities internationally and at home. Look at BBC or any other international news organization, every country watching us is baffled and alarmed. This sort of event is how republics literally have failed and fallen apart over history.

That won't happen to that extent here, not right away, but if this becomes common use than fringe on both sides will start using it every year and that will end the US as we know it.

the larger context is that the U.S. is facing a huge demographic shift while also dealing with globalization head-on. what should be happening is the U.S. valuing high-tech industries and advanced education to compete and lead. instead, we're stuck squabbling on how to fund those efforts less while continuing to watch our infrastructure age and crumble.

you don't need to fund "high-tech industry"

what you need is a business climate that makes it conducive for American companies to compete without having to have a Brinks truck pull up from the US Treasury every month to make payroll

When I read liberals talk about "high-tech", I now assume that's just code for "green energy"

Which I am for, but not the way the Dems want to do it, propping up specific companies. Send that money to Universities, let the foundational research be done there instead of giving it to Elon Musk so he can buy a second mega-yacht.

Arguing against government funding of high tech

on the internet

THE

INTER

NET

The magical tool for wide distribution of information

created by John Galt

with no government involvement whatsoever.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Wow

Thanks for quashing a topic under your cookie-crusted heel.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Lockout wrote: »
    Wow

not even in the obvious way, via chicken

the age old pie vs cake conversation

thinking about the various ways of feeding a sugar addiction is a lot less depressing than thinking about the sorry state of things

I have had a live in girlfriend for 3 weeks

Before this I had sugary snacks maybe once a year

In three weeks I think I've eaten 50 cookies

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    fucking Orin Hatch is saying this whole thing was a dem plot to make pubs look bad

what the shit

just bring it all out, zombies, kaiju, aliens, just get it over with

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I still say Salmonella is too tasty a name for a disease, sounds like it should be some sort of fish pudding

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    fucking Orin Hatch is saying this whole thing was a dem plot to make pubs look bad

what the shit

And Gingrich is saying that its going awesome because they're only hated 10% more than the democrats and not 30 like in the 90s shutdown

Woo

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

what the shit

I don't know, all of those things are too extravagant and fun, I'm really enjoying the grey lifeless stupidity of apocalypse via political deadlock

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I still say Salmonella is too tasty a name for a disease, sounds like it should be some sort of fish pudding

Ah, no.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular

the larger context is that the U.S. is facing a huge demographic shift while also dealing with globalization head-on. what should be happening is the U.S. valuing high-tech industries and advanced education to compete and lead. instead, we're stuck squabbling on how to fund those efforts less while continuing to watch our infrastructure age and crumble.

you don't need to fund "high-tech industry"

what you need is a business climate that makes it conducive for American companies to compete without having to have a Brinks truck pull up from the US Treasury every month to make payroll

When I read liberals talk about "high-tech", I now assume that's just code for "green energy"

Which I am for, but not the way the Dems want to do it, propping up specific companies. Send that money to Universities, let the foundational research be done there instead of giving it to Elon Musk so he can buy a second mega-yacht.

The Republicans hate the NIH, NSF and NASA and try to cripple them at every turn, while the Democrats generally support them. If you are mad at one particular party for shuttling government money to private firms then you are looking in the wrong direction.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

If that were the case I would be arguing the exact same point, Jasc. This isn't good governance. It isn't about party, it's about having a functioning government both on Capitol Hill and in your local community. What about the possibility of American collapse due to this don't you understand or agree with, specifically?

Define collapse.

The rapid, permanent, and irreversible shift away from the dollar as a reserve currency and the U.S. as a viable lender of last resort and lender of guaranteed stability, skyrocketing interest rates for U.S. debt and permanently crippled economic potential as world markets refuse to take the U.S. seriously after a minority party intentionally sabotages the world economy because they don't like health care.

The reliability of the dollar and the reliability of debt with the United States Government are absolute cornerstones to not only the national economy, but the world economy as well. What good is FDIC insurance if the promise of funds backed by the full faith and credit of the United States of America is only as good as an obstinate political minority wants it to be?

That's before we get into the gigantic clusterfuck that would ensue if 30-70% of government expenditures just stopped. Aside from the insane economic aftershock such a default would have, you still have the indescribable human catastrophe of every man, woman, and child who is reliant on funds or employment from the United States suddenly having a random allotment of funds somewhere between 0% and 100% with no legal weight or guarantee to either extreme.

So, yeah, collapse as in huge fucking nightmare, end of America as we know it, end of America as the leading world superpower. A replay of the 2008 recession is kind of our best-case scenario, and there's no bottom in sight for worst-case.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
    Why do you even respond to Jasc? He's deaconblues 2.0.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Yeah but the real food thread is full of folks talking about ethical fish to eat, and super complicated and expensive recipes, and weird restaurants and shit.

Sometimes a dude just wants to complain about how horrible this spaghetti in a can is (so horrible) and what kind of cake is the most delicious (whatever cake has the most different kinds of chocolate).

X22wmuF.jpg
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Man, tech stocks are taking a beating today.

Ughhhhhh.

Nothing. Matters.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Don't hold back, PotatoNinja, tell us how you really feel.

Actually, wait, don't. I'd like to be able to sleep tonight, and that's already in jeopardy.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Worst case is this could mark the beginning of America losing its status as top of the pile of superpowers, as has happened to every superpower throughout history eventually.

t9migZb.jpg
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular

Yeah but the real food thread is full of folks talking about ethical fish to eat, and super complicated and expensive recipes, and weird restaurants and shit.

Sometimes a dude just wants to complain about how horrible this spaghetti in a can is (so horrible) and what kind of cake is the most delicious (whatever cake has the most different kinds of chocolate).

I'll tell you what cake isn't delicious.

Brussels Sprout cake.

t9migZb.jpg
This discussion has been closed.