As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Republic of Thieves is out?! also other book talk

• SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    let's just say that when the first book goes from excruciating to tedious, you know you've hit its high point

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Also if I ever want to start reading the Wheel of Time series what's the best place to stop?

Right now

Wow not even the first few books are worth it?

We're saving you from the disappointment when it goes off the fucking rails.

It's better not to have invested your time in those first few decent books.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    What about The Kingkiller Chronicles? I'm intrigued with it's plot synopsis.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What about The Kingkiller Chronicles? I'm intrigued with it's plot synopsis.

Haha welllllllllll
    I like them but Kvothe is a prime example of the worst sort of protagonist who can absolutely do no wrong
    Also he spends a lot of time faffing about in the first two books to the point that the third one will have A LOT of ground to cover whenever it comes out

But there are definitely some cool things about the world and its lore

edited October 2013
    Re: Kingkiller Chronicle

I like it quite a bit and so do a lot of other people.

There are some silly geese who think the main character is a Mary Sue, but feel free to ignore them.

Also feel free to ignore the comparisons to Harry Potter. It resembles HP only in the most general sense, i.e. The main character is a special snowflake and goes to a magic school. It's more of a serious fantasy.

Edit: this post is not a response to Grey Ghost, even though it may look like it.

knitdan on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    @wirehead26 how about reading some shit that doesn't have wizards or dragons or Destiny

edited October 2013
    YaYa wrote: »
    @wirehead26 how about reading some shit that doesn't have wizards or dragons or Destiny

But what's the fun of that?

wirehead26 on
    also, I finished Night Film a couple of days ago

if you ever read that book, stop at the halfway point and make up any other ending you want, it won't be as dumb as what the ending was

• SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    jumping to some pretty big conclusions there, yaya

anyway, kvothe is totally a mary sue, but it's a fantasy novel so who gives a crap

Q1e6oi8.gif
    Snowbeat wrote: »

anyway, kvothe is totally a mary sue, but it's a fantasy novel so who gives a crap

Well, he's pretty much right. The only books I currently read are fantasy stuff.

yeah sorry I wouldn't drop some judgement on a dude if I didn't think I was speaking from a place of fact, and here's wirehead backing me up

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

you win!

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    there's some merits to the arguments of people who say kvothe only seems like a mary sue because the embellishment of his actions is something intentionally built into the unreliable narration of the story, and how one of the main themes of the series is the juxtaposition of myth and legend and the actual circumstances that inspire them.

On the other hand there's that whole dreadful sequence in the fay world that lasts FOR FUCKING EVER and is just the worst sort of authorial indulgence.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

yeah sorry I wouldn't drop some judgement on a dude if I didn't think I was speaking from a place of fact
    , and here's wirehead backing me up

hueheuheuheuehueheuheu

I'll be honest, I find non-fantasy books boring. Now I'm not saying that's a fact, just what I think.

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    oh damn republic of thieves came out?

gotta get that now

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    there's some merits to the arguments of people who say kvothe only seems like a mary sue because the embellishment of his actions is something intentionally built into the unreliable narration of the story, and how one of the main themes of the series is the juxtaposition of myth and legend and the actual circumstances that inspire them.

On the other hand there's that whole dreadful sequence in the fay world that lasts FOR FUCKING EVER and is just the worst sort of authorial indulgence.

isn't that where he bangs the fairy queen and becomes THE GREATEST LOVER EVER

I'll be honest, I find non-fantasy books boring. Now I'm not saying that's a fact, just what I think.

I would say this is because you ain't read the right ones but I guess neither of us got the time or energy for me to try to turn all your reading preferences around

PiptheFair wrote: »

yes kvothe is now the supreme sex god

i find this development thrilling and fascinating

Q1e6oi8.gif

I read the entire Silmarillion, I can get through some slow parts of a book now.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

over the course of like 60-80 pages yes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would say this is because you ain't read the right ones but I guess neither of us got the time or energy for me to try to turn all your reading preferences around

I'm sure there are non-fantasy books I'd find rewarding experiences but I'll stick with fantasy for now.

how strictly do you define 'fantasy' anyway, wirehead

how strictly do you define 'fantasy' anyway, wirehead

Tolkein?

The thing with Kvothe people seem to forget is he fucks up all the time.

Spoilers for book two
    the whole reason he ends up in the Fay world is he takes a semester off because he screwed up the pre-term exams. And since it's Kvothe telling the story, he's not exactly shy about criticizing his own youthful actions.

that's

pretty strict

Q1e6oi8.gif
    It's all I could think of on short notice.

yeah uh

have

have you read like, Neil Gaiman, or anything like that

yeah uh

have

Does Good Omens count?

yeah uh

have

Does Good Omens count?

sorta!

wirehead

You should read The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

Or R.Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I really like the Kingkiller Chronicles and I think that some of the talk about Kvothe being a Mary Sue is out of line with how he is presented as a character

But yeah that second book has some parts that are duuuuuumb and much like the first, it less "ends" so much as "peters out"

The dude can build pretty prose like nobody's business but I am a little worried he won't be able to end that trilogy properly and the last book will the most roundabout journey to an unsatisfying climax since Wheel of Time

Contrast this with the Gentleman Bastard books, and they're pretty much constantly on, and constantly entertaining, and only occasionally clunky or rushed (Republic of Thieves is a delight, so far, though I'm only a few chapters in)

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Oh shit I can't believe I forgot the Dexter book series. So far I've read the first, second, and fourth novel and enjoyed them well enough. But I was warned to NEVER READ THE THIRD.

@Olivaw I have to say I have never really cared about the flashbacks to Locke's youth, except inasmuch as they're necessary to set up Sabetha

Olivaw wrote: »
    I really like the Kingkiller Chronicles and I think that some of the talk about Kvothe being a Mary Sue is out of line with how he is presented as a character

But yeah that second book has some parts that are duuuuuumb and much like the first, it less "ends" so much as "peters out"

The dude can build pretty prose like nobody's business but I am a little worried he won't be able to end that trilogy properly and the last book will the most roundabout journey to an unsatisfying climax since Wheel of Time

Contrast this with the Gentleman Bastard books, and they're pretty much constantly on, and constantly entertaining, and only occasionally clunky or rushed (Republic of Thieves is a delight, so far, though I'm only a few chapters in)

the alternative to the roundabout journey to an unsatisfying climax is that book ends up being like 1500 pages long

because from where I'm standing he's got a long fucking way to go before he becomes 'Kvothe'

I still want to read the rest of the series because it can't possibly be any worse than what the Dexter TV series turned into.

prince of nothing is a fantastic suggestion, especially if you like big, heavy fantasy stories with heavy themes in play

Q1e6oi8.gif
    like what king is he even going to kill

like what king is he even going to kill

Elvis

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    @Olivaw I have to say I have never really cared about the flashbacks to Locke's youth, except inasmuch as they're necessary to set up Sabetha

Really? I found the flashbacks in the first book a really clever little device to foreshadow lessons and schemes that would come into play shortly afterward

The third book starting out with one is an odd choice, but I like them for the characters. And they end soon enough anyways

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.