As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Phalla Signup List

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Should be good. Just so long as the other people who contacted me and awesome'd that are interested in playing, I'll go ahead and try to get it working. Ideally before the season that starts Sunday ends (so late November).

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Super ideally, actually soon. I have most of the ideas on what I want to do, but need a route and to work out the math a bit.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I am probably too excited for this.
    I don't even watch TAR, but I am so hyped.

Oh yeah, Phalla. Erm, how would people like it if I drew a picture of everyone's role in my next mini?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    Go find the first and third seasons. I enjoy most of the first 12, but those are the two best.

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    So I have a potentially ridiculous idea inspired by jdark's current Phalla, that would take a lot of research, a partner, and I'd actually prefer to not run it as a Phalla, but just a straight game. I mean, I could kludge Phalla stuff in there, but I'd rather not. It's also not really a PbP version of an existing board game, so I'm not even sure where to put it.

Anyway, I'll post about it here for the partner aspect. The idea is this: The Amazing Race.

Two forumers (ideally with a pre-existing relationship from Phalla/PbP/just arguing a lot in D&D/whatever/being real life related) form a team and create a character sheet with numerical qualities in strength/agility/smarts/some other stuff, with bonus qualities like foreign languages costing some points. I make the route (through real world locations, obviously), RNGs determine how well people do on the route, last place eliminated daily. I have to work out some details on how it would work, but I am heavily intrigued by this idea and want to see if it's workable. I guess it would almost be closest to a pen and paper RPG?

So I'm looking for:
    1) Someone who knows TAR
    2) Someone who thinks this is intriguing
    3) Someone willing to do a ton of research on cool places for the race to "go"... and maybe travel schedules

EDIT: Volunteer acquired, probably.

Can I be honest? I had kind of the same idea. Sort of discarded it as I thought that maybe there wouldn't be enough interaction, but if you can make it work I am so hyped.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Go find the first and third seasons. I enjoy most of the first 12, but those are the two best.
    Which season had the forumer on it? Because thats the most I know about the show, there was a forumer on one season and he was a mod. Manifest I think?

Bedlam wrote: »
    Which season had the forumer on it? Because thats the most I know about the show, there was a forumer on one season and he was a mod. Manifest I think?

I don't recall him being a mod, but there was a forumer on the third season.
    Who is eliminated early, but he and his sister go out awesomely.

CesareB wrote: »
    So I have a potentially ridiculous idea inspired by jdark's current Phalla, that would take a lot of research, a partner, and I'd actually prefer to not run it as a Phalla, but just a straight game. I mean, I could kludge Phalla stuff in there, but I'd rather not. It's also not really a PbP version of an existing board game, so I'm not even sure where to put it.

Anyway, I'll post about it here for the partner aspect. The idea is this: The Amazing Race.

Two forumers (ideally with a pre-existing relationship from Phalla/PbP/just arguing a lot in D&D/whatever/being real life related) form a team and create a character sheet with numerical qualities in strength/agility/smarts/some other stuff, with bonus qualities like foreign languages costing some points. I make the route (through real world locations, obviously), RNGs determine how well people do on the route, last place eliminated daily. I have to work out some details on how it would work, but I am heavily intrigued by this idea and want to see if it's workable. I guess it would almost be closest to a pen and paper RPG?

So I'm looking for:
    1) Someone who knows TAR
    2) Someone who thinks this is intriguing
    3) Someone willing to do a ton of research on cool places for the race to "go"... and maybe travel schedules

EDIT: Volunteer acquired, probably.

Can I be honest? I had kind of the same idea. Sort of discarded it as I thought that maybe there wouldn't be enough interaction, but if you can make it work I am so hyped.

Yeah, this is a concern. If the thread is relatively barren outside of my updates, would people still be interested? Or do I need to focus on a way to make it more interactive? I think there are ways, but it would distract.

May I ask what the general format would be?

So current vision:

1) Everyone would be in I think 12 teams of two. Ideally with a teammate you have a pre-existing relationship with, for example Buddha73/Grunt's Ghost or Blarnfidel, but not a requirement.
    2) You would go to a big ole character creation thing, with things like strength/intelligence/agility/charisma and perks like knowledge of various foreign languages
    3) I would open the game with the usual start of TAR patter. Get ready, get set, travel safe, go. And give you your first clue (clue in TAR context is more direction than clue; and with the internet immediately available to y'all I don't see that changing).
    4) The clue would tell you to go somewhere. Like for example: race outside the Diag (we're starting in Ann Arbor) to the marked cars. Drive yourself to Detroit Metro Airport and fly to (first destination city, let's say London). There are a couple stats that alter your ability with directions (intelligence for map reading/charisma for getting directions with locals) and that changes how fast you get there, and which flight you get on.
    5) After that, you land in London. Here choices start getting made. For example, do you spend some of your limited funds on a map? Or are you going to rely on directions from locals? But you're going to... let's say Big Ben. So then you can choose a variety of transportation methods to get there. Taxi/Tube/walk (note how there's going to be a lot of research on my end?) for example. Which have differing financial costs and differing time costs.
    6) Upon arriving at Big Ben you'll get another clue. It will be a task, like in the show. Let's say it's a Roadblock. A Roadblock is a task that only one team member may perform, and you'll get some clue both verbally and from context as to what you'll be doing, but you won't know for sure. From just the clue and the context, you'll need to pick one of the two of you to do it. So let's say this particular Roadblock is a bit of a daredevil Roadblock (the first one usually is). Something like "ride the second hand of Big Ben for a minute, like in every movie ever." The person who does it will hesitate more or less depending on their bravery stat.
    7) Upon completing the Roadblock, you'll get another clue to head somewhere else in London. Like, say, 221B Baker Street. Again, transportation choices. Where Sherlock Holmes will hand you your next clue. Which is a Detour. A Detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons. In this Detour, teams choose between a task in which you solve a mystery with Holmes (an intelligence focused task) or do something physical I haven't thought of (I'm mostly inventing this leg on the spot, and it will not be the actual first leg, besides the start point). Teams will choose between the two sides of the Detour, and depending on their character stats will do better or worse at it.
    8) Upon completing the Detour, teams get one last clue, which will tell them to proceed to say, Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire, again driving themselves. This will serve as the pit stop for this leg of the race. The last team to check in here will be eliminated.

And so on with the next leg, which will start travelling to somewhere new. Like, say, Venice. Travel times will be somewhat dictated by dice rolls, with bonuses granted by stats. All the math stuff I'll have to work out. But that's the general framework I have in mind. There's also Fast Forwards to consider and a variety of other things, but not too much more.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Buddha's Ghosts!

That all sounds good ebum, but I might make a suggestion.

I haven't fully thought it out, and if you don't like it then don't add it, but here we go.

If you're interested in adding more interaction for the players, perhaps put in some "executive meddling" , I don't watch reality shows, but I know that they're plagued with allegations of producers fudging the numbers so that teams or individuals that have a lot of fans tend to get eliminated later.

If you wanted to have some fun with that, maybe set up a "roleplay" area for the teams to interact. Have teams roleplay a little, then set up a poll or something for everyone viewing the thread but not actually running the race. The most popular team might just get a couple minutes shaved off their final time or something.

The way I see it, this encourages participation from everyone involved, as those who invest more time into the game are more likely to win. It also gets players to develop their racers a little more, which might be more fun than making choices based on a list of stats you get. This will inevitably cause a greater attachment to the racers from both those playing and those watching, which is really what entertainment is all about.

And, the best part: It doesn't involve all that much more work from the host.

Just an idea. Take it, leave it, change it, shelve it for now and bring it out in another game if this turns out to be popular. Whatever.

If I was going to make it Phalla, there would be executive meddling. But I'd rather not. I'll think about the roleplaying stuff. I might ask that people post "confessional" stuff in the thread.

So current vision:

1) Everyone would be in I think 12 teams of two. Ideally with a teammate you have a pre-existing relationship with, for example Buddha73/Grunt's Ghost or Blarnfidel, but not a requirement.
    2) You would go to a big ole character creation thing, with things like strength/intelligence/agility/charisma and perks like knowledge of various foreign languages
    3) I would open the game with the usual start of TAR patter. Get ready, get set, travel safe, go. And give you your first clue (clue in TAR context is more direction than clue; and with the internet immediately available to y'all I don't see that changing).
    4) The clue would tell you to go somewhere. Like for example: race outside the Diag (we're starting in Ann Arbor) to the marked cars. Drive yourself to Detroit Metro Airport and fly to (first destination city, let's say London). There are a couple stats that alter your ability with directions (intelligence for map reading/charisma for getting directions with locals) and that changes how fast you get there, and which flight you get on.
    5) After that, you land in London. Here choices start getting made. For example, do you spend some of your limited funds on a map? Or are you going to rely on directions from locals? But you're going to... let's say Big Ben. So then you can choose a variety of transportation methods to get there. Taxi/Tube/walk (note how there's going to be a lot of research on my end?) for example. Which have differing financial costs and differing time costs.
    6) Upon arriving at Big Ben you'll get another clue. It will be a task, like in the show. Let's say it's a Roadblock. A Roadblock is a task that only one team member may perform, and you'll get some clue both verbally and from context as to what you'll be doing, but you won't know for sure. From just the clue and the context, you'll need to pick one of the two of you to do it. So let's say this particular Roadblock is a bit of a daredevil Roadblock (the first one usually is). Something like "ride the second hand of Big Ben for a minute, like in every movie ever." The person who does it will hesitate more or less depending on their bravery stat.
    7) Upon completing the Roadblock, you'll get another clue to head somewhere else in London. Like, say, 221B Baker Street. Again, transportation choices. Where Sherlock Holmes will hand you your next clue. Which is a Detour. A Detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons. In this Detour, teams choose between a task in which you solve a mystery with Holmes (an intelligence focused task) or do something physical I haven't thought of (I'm mostly inventing this leg on the spot, and it will not be the actual first leg, besides the start point). Teams will choose between the two sides of the Detour, and depending on their character stats will do better or worse at it.
    8) Upon completing the Detour, teams get one last clue, which will tell them to proceed to say, Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire, again driving themselves. This will serve as the pit stop for this leg of the race. The last team to check in here will be eliminated.

And so on with the next leg, which will start travelling to somewhere new. Like, say, Venice. Travel times will be somewhat dictated by dice rolls, with bonuses granted by stats. All the math stuff I'll have to work out. But that's the general framework I have in mind. There's also Fast Forwards to consider and a variety of other things, but not too much more.

And would you have each leg be a day of real time? That seems like a lot of orders to expect people to get it.

I'm not entirely sure how I'm planning on doing things. Sort of depends how much time people want to commit.

Options:
    A) Give everyone every choice they need to make at the start of each day. Pros: simpler. Cons: lessens interactivity.
    B) Stretch each leg over multiple real life days. Probably one day per Roadblock or Detour. Pros: allows updates as to placements so people can respond accordingly. Cons: would mean the thing would take like a month.
    C) Insane real-time 24 hour moderator coverage. Pros: Combines pros of A + B; Cons: requires insane 24 hour moderator coverage, with probably an Aussie and European assistant. And the same from teams. Super unrealistic.

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    EBum, if you care about interactivity, make all the challenges be forumy bits, either a simple forum game people have to win, or some kind of online quiz or search, which involve things being posted in the thread. This might de-emphasize the crunchy bits of character creation, or you might give people advantages depending on their stats.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    I thought about it. But it feels more limiting to me than the things it makes possible.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Who wants to be my amazing race buddy?

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Me! We can finally be on the same team!

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    I'm noticing a lack of 1 main + 2 mini games on the front page of CF! Do things slow down around now usually?

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    It's been pretty quiet for a while now.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Ardor wrote: »
    I'm noticing a lack of 1 main + 2 mini games on the front page of CF! Do things slow down around now usually?

Usually the Summer months are pretty low.
    People tend to gradually trickle back in.

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    I was just curious. Every so often I get the itch to run a game and figure I should check in to see what the queue is like ]because I hate myself and any free time I have]. If it's slow and people still enjoy faction-ish games, I am always up for running one as a mini. A main game might be feasible in the future.

Do folks still enjoy those kinds of games though? Do you think 20 people would sign up for a faction-type game with the standard mafia elements?

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I'll put up sign-ups for XCOM this weekend (EDIT: that is, assuming that the silence about the mini queue when I asked before indicated an empty line -- still need final confirmation from Bandwagon on that). Probably super-late Friday night.

I think I'm looking at 25-30 players, but that might shift in the final prep.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    I think, especially without a main running, almost any phalla game would get 20-25 people almost instantly. The difficulty is getting numbers for a main.

• BandwagonBandwagon Registered User regular
    Since jdarksun's game just ended and I haven't heard from anyone else, you're free to put up signups for your game over the weekend, Gandalf_the_Crazed. Anyone else who is interested in running a game, let me know and I'll slot you in.

Also, if anyone is interested, I wouldn't mind having a co-host for XCOM. It's not necessary, but it might speed up narrations, results, etc.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »
    I think, especially without a main running, almost any phalla game would get 20-25 people almost instantly. The difficulty is getting numbers for a main.
    Yup. 25 was fast, but I stretched to get 30.

edited October 2013
    So... I wrote an OP (I'm not actually close to posting it, I need a route and tasks still). It's almost 2000 words. Is that a problem? :P

enlightenedbum on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    For what, the CK2 phalla? 8->

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Pretty sure he means that Amazing Race thing.

Who's got next now that we're Com-less?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    If nobody has anything, its possible i could try and rerun the haunting phalla, that might be one that doesn't lose much on repeat.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I'm working on a game that should be ready by next week, but it'll be a good idea for someone to run their game now since it'll still be a few days at least until everything is prepared.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • BandwagonBandwagon Registered User regular
    I currently don't have anyone in the queue, so if anyone wants to run a game, let me know.

Spoit wrote: »

This is on jdark having time and interest to write the software.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    The Phallington Horror signups are up!

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    It's been nearly a year since I last hosted a game. Let's change that, shall we?

Logo.png

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    That lake doesn't get anymore