As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nerf Guns and the Modding Thereof

• redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    redhalo wrote:
    supersloth wrote:
    redhalo wrote:
    Andrew wrote:
    Spraypaint that shit black. You might be shot by a police officer but damn will it look good.
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg[img][/img]

I need detailed instructions on how to make a perfect replica of that. stat.
    Like I said a few posts up, basicaly just take it apart and paint it with Krylon Fusion vinyl dye. I appreciate the kind words on my 'piece". I think I should see how far I can go modding this thing. How's a scope sound? :twisted:
    You can take the one from the Longshot and mount it on the rail atop the Maverick's slide.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    redhalo wrote:
    supersloth wrote:
    redhalo wrote:
    Andrew wrote:
    Spraypaint that shit black. You might be shot by a police officer but damn will it look good.
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg[img][/img]

I need detailed instructions on how to make a perfect replica of that. stat.
    Like I said a few posts up, basicaly just take it apart and paint it with Krylon Fusion vinyl dye. I appreciate the kind words on my 'piece". I think I should see how far I can go modding this thing. How's a scope sound? :twisted:
    You can take the one from the Longshot and mount it on the rail atop the Maverick's slide.
    Whoa, shit, for real? Like they were made for each other? Now I definatly have to get this Longshot.

redhalo on
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Is there any kind of universally accepted rules set for Nerf wars?
    Depends. You can play where if you get hit in a body part, you can't use it anymore, or you can play that a certain number of hits will kill you, and each time you're hit you have to go to a spawning area. I'm sure those nerf mod sites have more detailed ones, because the two I described have a name, I just can't remember since it's been so long.

TwistedJester on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    I'm thankful my picture hasn't made it here yet.

*snicker*
    You mean this one?

athenormaam.jpg

You shouldn't have said anything. :P

That's the single most awesome thing ever.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • 3_eyed_weasel3_eyed_weasel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Did everybody else start playing russian rhoulette with their friends the moment they got their maverick?

3_eyed_weasel on
    samorostsig.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Did everybody else start playing russian rhoulette with their friends the moment they got their maverick?

Oh, you fucking KNOW it.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • eryu90eryu90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Depends. You can play where if you get hit in a body part, you can't use it anymore, or you can play that a certain number of hits will kill you, and each time you're hit you have to go to a spawning area. I'm sure those nerf mod sites have more detailed ones, because the two I described have a name, I just can't remember since it's been so long.

We always played with a 1-hit kill or out if out of ammo. No spawns, but we did have one person designated medic who can revive you. The most fun with nerf is playing hostage situation inside the house, we had a doll that became a hostage and the other team had to storm the house succesfully.

eryu90 on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    redhalo wrote:
    Whoa, shit, for real? Like they were made for each other? Now I definatly have to get this Longshot.

The longshot is part of the n-Strike system. See the pic above of my firefly? see the slide on it? Yeah.

The Unity strike system, the core of the line, has a couple places to mount those slides.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited September 2006
    eryu90 wrote:
    Zimmydoom wrote:

We always played with a 1-hit kill or out if out of ammo. No spawns, but we did have one person designated medic who can revive you. The most fun with nerf is playing hostage situation inside the house, we had a doll that became a hostage and the other team had to storm the house succesfully.

Me and my brother usually have quick-draws or just one hit kills. I just hide until he wastes all of his ammo, then I just force him to surrender.

Then do him execution style.

Heeeeelll yeah.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The only thing nearby (within 100 miles) is Walmart. They didn't have a longshot or a maverick. Internet = not an option.

What do I do?

EliteBattleman on
    This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • atkbobatkbob Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The only thing nearby (within 100 miles) is Walmart. They didn't have a longshot or a maverick. Internet = not an option.

What do I do?
    Cry?

atkbob on
    atkbobsig4kp5me8zl.png
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I posted this in the other nerf thread, but figured it'd bear repeating here for pure awesome. And for the people asking about how to paint their mavericks, I found this to be very helpful. I mean, come on, those gobbo's make the best toys.

iguanacus on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Mxzylpt wrote:
    redhalo wrote:
    Andrew wrote:
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg

You just sold a nerf gun...and some spray paint.

Seriously though what kind of paint did you use and did you coat it with anything so as to not be that kind of awkward somewhat sticky texture that paint can be at times? Or maybe I just put too much paint on stuff...

And did you take it apart to paint it piece by piece?
    You need a name for that gun. Like "Virginia." Maybe "Rosalin."

I call her Vera.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    tarnok wrote:
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Mxzylpt wrote:
    redhalo wrote:
    Andrew wrote:
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg

Seriously though what kind of paint did you use and did you coat it with anything so as to not be that kind of awkward somewhat sticky texture that paint can be at times? Or maybe I just put too much paint on stuff...

I call her Vera.
    That works, although for some reason I get the feeling that you're going to have to start calling yourself "Eduardo."

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • cursor101cursor101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Do they make "double action" nerf guns yet?

cursor101 on
    MK:DS 451051-559978
    Guy1: There's nothing bitchin about the games soundtrack. It's practically all elevator music.

Guy2: That's just hilariously stupid. I can't imagine playing a fighting game with "Girl from Ipanema" playing in the background.
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    My nerf gun of choice back in the day was the Master Blaster. I had two so I could pretend like I had dual shotguns.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    tarnok wrote:
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Mxzylpt wrote:
    redhalo wrote:
    Andrew wrote:
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg

I call her Vera.
    she is my very favorite gun

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    tarnok wrote:
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Mxzylpt wrote:
    redhalo wrote:
    Andrew wrote:
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg

I call her Vera.
    Vera Lynn? "Vera!, Vera!, What has become of you?"

redhalo on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I take back my suggestion to buy the helicopter. Because this is the coolest RC anything I've ever seen.

They look like boats, right? Just wait for it....

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I bought two mavericks last night, everyone at work has been playing with them all day. Everytime they asked me how much they were and I said 8 bucks and they all flipped. I'm expecting full on nerf wars by friday.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
    edited September 2006
    supersloth wrote:
    I bought two mavericks last night, everyone at work has been playing with them all day. Everytime they asked me how much they were and I said 8 bucks and they all flipped. I'm expecting full on nerf wars by friday.

Where do you work?

If you worked in like a Costco, flip off most of the lights after closing and go nuts.

That'd be fucking sweet.

Now I need a job at Costco, to do just that.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    supersloth wrote:

Where do you work?

If you worked in like a Costco, flip off most of the lights after closing and go nuts.

That'd be fucking sweet.

I'm a programmer in an office. Cube wars are a passtime of ours.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
    edited September 2006
    supersloth wrote:
    supersloth wrote:

Where do you work?

That'd be fucking sweet.

I'm a programmer in an office. Cube wars are a passtime of ours.

Cube wars.

Most excellent.

Metaphorical hats off to you, sir.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So I now have a longshot -- Walmart decided to hide them behind something else.

Anyway, I'm trying to remove the airflow restrictor -- how do I take off the "bolt"? I can't seem to get it apart.

edit: NM

EliteBattleman on
    This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bump for awesome.

I think I'm gonna pick up a couple of those Mavericks and paint them black. The only catch is they're $13 at Toys R Us here in Canada- ($11.50 American), but it's still not bad.

Torso Boy on
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    GSM wrote:
    I take back my suggestion to buy the helicopter. Because this is the coolest RC anything I've ever seen.

They look like boats, right? Just wait for it....
    holy crap those are awesome where the hell can you buy them? how much?

EDIT:
    apparently that commentor on youtube was right, airhogs has bought the design... http://www.airhogs.com/

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • bananabreadbananabread Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Does anyone know where in Australia I can secure a pair of those Mavericks at least?

Ideally, I'd like to organise deathmatches with 2 teams of 3, consisting of dual pistol guy, assault rifle guy, and sniper (I will spare no expense for the ultimate Nerf experience!) but I need to start somewhere and I figure pistol duels is a good way to get my brother hooked.

Unfortunately, Nerf isn't exactly huge over here, so I don't think any of the big department stores will stock them.

bananabread on
    your sig was too long <3 orik
  • tortor Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    redhalo wrote:
    tarnok wrote:
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Mxzylpt wrote:
    redhalo wrote:
    Andrew wrote:
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg

I call her Vera.
    Vera Lynn? "Vera!, Vera!, What has become of you?"

Heh, I immediately thought of Vera Wang.

tor on
    brainscatter
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I bought two today. :^:

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I just bought a longshot. Pictures to follow.

I mis-assembled the front gun, and had to completely disassemble/reassemble it. I was shocked at how much lube was in there.

However, now that it's all fixed up.. the micro darts sting so much more than the standard whistler darts. And this gun is FUCKING powerful. I can see how it could easily be modded for distance.

I've been hesitant to mod my nerfs, however.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    I just bought a longshot. Pictures to follow.

I mis-assembled the front gun, and had to completely disassemble/reassemble it. I was shocked at how much lube was in there.

However, now that it's all fixed up.. the micro darts sting so much more than the standard whistler darts. And this gun is FUCKING powerful. I can see how it could easily be modded for distance.

I've been hesitant to mod my nerfs, however.

I too am hesitant. My guns are all stock at the moment, although I've been experimenting with different materials to act as weights in modified dart tag darts.

yalborap on
    edited September 2006
    The thing is.. it's just so sweet out of the box. And by the sounds of the mod that was linked to in the other thread, it is -NOT- an easy mod. And their pictures aren't really step by step or thorough on what you are looking for. I really need to see exactly what the restrictor plate is like, and what not.

Honestly, my favorite thing is the attention to detail. The breach loader is ingenious, and the extra storage spot in the first pistol is great. I really hope I can buy extra clips and darts.

Athenor on
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    The thing is.. it's just so sweet out of the box. And by the sounds of the mod that was linked to in the other thread, it is -NOT- an easy mod. And their pictures aren't really step by step or thorough on what you are looking for. I really need to see exactly what the restrictor plate is like, and what not.

Honestly, my favorite thing is the attention to detail. The breach loader is ingenious, and the extra storage spot in the first pistol is great. I really hope I can buy extra clips and darts.

So do I. That and clip-holders that go on a belt are what I really want.

yalborap on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I love how the longshot's bolt has to be open to remove the clip.

You're right the attention to detail is awesome on this thing.
    Now I need to find a spring, a hot glue gun, and a dremal.

I want my 100ft dammit.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Now I want one black maverick with white accents, and one white maverick with black accents.

fsmith1 on
    edited September 2006
    Nocren wrote:

I want my 100ft dammit.

What's the hot glue gun used for? As I have the dremel, but no extra springs. (Plus, I wouldn't want to go any further than removing the restrictor).

Also.. the sucky part about these streamline darts is that they only give you 12, when they gun fully loads 14. Also, they are easy to lose when shooting them in offices. And as of now, you can't order new ones off Hasbro's website.

Athenor on
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    Nocren wrote:

I want my 100ft dammit.

What's the hot glue gun used for? As I have the dremel, but no extra springs. (Plus, I wouldn't want to go any further than removing the restrictor).

Also.. the sucky part about these streamline darts is that they only give you 12, when they gun fully loads 14. Also, they are easy to lose when shooting them in offices. And as of now, you can't order new ones off Hasbro's website.

The streaming darts are essentially just collarless dart tag darts, so you can modify those easily.

yalborap on
    edited September 2006
    No, actually, the streamline darts are just a bit thinner than regular darts, even if the plunger and the pole thingy are the same diamater.

My bro accidentally loaded some of my sonic darts into my longshot, and jammed it up something fierce.

Edit: Nevermind, you're right, it's just a different head. D'oh.

Athenor on
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    No, actually, the streamline darts are just a bit thinner than regular darts, even if the plunger and the pole thingy are the same diamater.

My bro accidentally loaded some of my sonic darts into my longshot, and jammed it up something fierce.

It's the collar that jams, mainly. If you just remove the tip of a Dart Tag dart(as in actually pull it out), and hot-glue a small weight in, it shoots just fine.

yalborap on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    Nocren wrote:

I want my 100ft dammit.

In case I fuck up a bit. Better to have it just in case.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg