As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    Just a heads up:

One of the first reviews of the first episode of "The Wolf Among Us" is up on PC Gamer. It got a 90, same as the Walking Dead's first episode. It seems to be keeping up to TWD's quality. I'm super excited for it, the first episode is out tomorrow.

Secondly, a Steam page is up for "The Stanley Parable". It's out in a week on the 17th. I think I might grab it and Gone Home at the same time and just spend some time exploring some places with neat stuff.

The Stanley Parable's description:
    The Stanley Parable is a first person exploration game. You will play as Stanley, and you will not play as Stanley. You will follow a story, you will not follow a story. You will have a choice, you will have no choice. The game will end, the game will never end. Contradiction follows contradiction, the rules of how games should work are broken, then broken again. This world was not made for you to understand.

Was the Stanley Parable made by those Boner Toots people, because that description sure sounds like something they would fart out.

No, it's really a worthwhile thing to check out. They are doing a Dear Esther with this thing, it's actually a remaster/expansion of a Source mod that's been around for a while now. You start the game working in a Brazil-esque dystopian office. You then get presented with a series of branching choices while a dry, Monty Python style narrator tells the story. If you liked Bastion for that element you need to check this out. The interplay between your choices and the narration is really clever. I'm looking forward to this new gussied up edition.

• Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    The Stanley Parable sucks.

I want to play 8.. 8.. 8.. 8.. 8.. 8.. 8.. 8.. 8.. 8.. 8.. 8.. 8..

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Enjoy. : )

edit: forgot to mention the key is Mafia 2 : P

Thanks! I've never seen Goodfellas, so I figure this will save me time.

qjDeNNk.jpg

YOU'VE GOT TIME TO PLAY MAFIA 2 BUT NOT TO WATCH GOODFELLAS?

WATCH THE MOVIE

TODAY

TODAY

In other news, I might just not be a very good Steam threader but nothing is really grabbing me out of the Capcom sale. I suck at fighting games and I refuse to acknowledge any Resident Evil games after 4, and once I filtered out the stuff I already had there wasn't much left.

Are the Dark Void games any good?

Also, all of these GOTY editions showing up on Steam gave me an idea: Who wants to start a video game review website where we name random shitty games as our Game of the Year every year simply because I think it would be hilarious if games like Tunnel Rats or Elf Bowling were able to have Game of the Year Editions?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... Holy. Shit.

That was brilliant.

Stanley Parable for Trailer of the Fucking Forever.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Hi, I'd like to schedule an appointment to see the doctor. Yeah, my hands are moving involuntarily again. Well, I was checking my email and Steam notified me that Divinity: Dragon Commander was 40% off, and the next thing I know I'm adding it to my cart and...

*click, dial tone*

Hello? Helloooooo??

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Note re: Stanley Parable. The demo is standalone so even if you've played the mod you may want to give it a spin, as it's not part of the mod or remake.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I got a package today that was marked from the Royal Post, I got extremely nervous that somehow @Big Classy obtained my address after seeing threats to @CorriganX, much to my relief it was just a tie that Charles Tyrwhitt sent me.

• Options
    edited October 2013

I was just talking about those.

The short of it; Brilliant moments of freeform jetpack shooter gameplay, with a bunch of standard third person cover shooting in between. Some QTE stuff too, but I don't remember it being too terribly annoying.

Drake on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Honestly, for 2.50, Dark Void isn't terrible. It's cool to get the mobility of a jet engine in a cover based shooter until you jet around an enclosed hangar and smash into a wall and die.

What is this Cherry Tree Comedy Club I've heard so much praise for?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Drake wrote: »

The short of it; Brilliant moments of freeform jetpack shooter gameplay, with a bunch of standard third person cover shooting in between. Some QTE stuff too, but I don't remember it being too terribly annoying.

You clearly don't remember the hijacking minigame, then. It's a dancing minigame where you have to dodge the lasers, then you pry the cap off the ship, then you punch the alien inside a few times.

I only did it a few times after you sort of realize you have a flying ship on your back and that hijacking is almost completely useless.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Drake wrote: »

You clearly don't remember the hijacking minigame, then. It's a dancing minigame where you have to dodge the lasers, then you pry the cap off the ship, then you punch the alien inside a few times.

I only did it a few times after you sort of realize you have a flying ship on your back and that hijacking is almost completely useless.

Oh yeah that. Yeah I came to the same conclusion.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    New Humble Weekly Sale is up. They've got a bunch of Focus Home Interactive games this time.

EDIT: Since this gets asked pretty frequently, all the under $6 games are together as one Steam key. The two $6 and over games are also together as one Steam key.

Cities XL Platinum
    Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition
    Divinity II: Developer's Cut
    R.A.W. Realms of Ancient War
    Game of Thrones
    Confrontation

Plus if you pay over $6:
    Wargame: European Escalation
    Testament of Sherlock Holmes

I seem to recall hearing good things about the Sherlock game, and bad things about GoT around here. Anyone try R.A.W.?
    Ended up just picking up RE5. Will get Dead Rising and RE6/or Rev if they hit daily.

Still disappointed in the lack of a 2-pack on RE5

Realms of Ancient War looks pretty decent so I picked the bundle up for that, I like that it has 360 pad controls, I much prefer hack n slash with a pad

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    The two Bionic Commando games are pretty tempting at that price too.

I can vouch for ReArmed. I played and loved it on 360. Never could beat the last level though.
    Anybody play the 3D game? Is it good. Is it good for $2.49? Can I claw a guy in the face? That alone is probably worth $2.50 to me.

The 3d Bionic Commando has about as good an implementation of the swinging mechanic as you could hope for in 3d, and the combat is mostly fine - You can grab guys and zip-line into them, or yank them into the air and throw them at other enemies - But the rest of its design is not so good. The problems are:

1. Linear level design that the game tries to disguise as an open-world via an invisible wall gimmick on the level of "Kryptonite fog".
    2. Obnoxious collectables/upgrade unlock challenges structure - If you want all the collectables, or to complete all the combat challenges that unlock upgrades, you have to do it in a single playthrough, and there's no backtracking. Miss a collectable and/or chance to complete a challenge? Tough, you're going to have to restart the whole game again. There is a 'level select' option, but you can't obtain collectables or complete challenges using it, despite the fact that that is the only possible reason you could want to use it.
    3. The story, a failed attempt to turn BC into Metal Gear Solid that just turns two square-jawed 8-bit heroes into complete arseholes, and contains what is still rightfully known as THE STUPIDEST PLOT TWIST IN VIDEO GAMES EVER. It really is that bad.

If what you're interested in is the swinging and the fighting, I'd say yeah, it's worth your $2.49. But just go into it knowing you won't be playing for the plot, and you shouldn't waste your time trying to get the collectables.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Holy shit the emotion booths are in the demo.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    I don't care what you people say, I'm excited to play even a shitty Game of Thrones games. This bundle is wonderful.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Everyone should play The Stanley Parable demo even if you know you are going to buy the game already. It's very unique and I don't think any of it will be in the full game.

After playing it, I still have no idea what to expect from the full game but suddenly I want it. I have to say it was a very effective (non)demo.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    I don't care what you people say, I'm excited to play even a shitty Game of Thrones games. This bundle is wonderful.

Yea I wasn't even interested, then someone said hack and slash and I couldn't stop myself.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Whelp, guess I'm buying Stanley Parable. *sigh*

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Everyone should play The Stanley Parable demo even if you know you are going to buy the game already. It's very unique and I don't think any of it will be in the full game.

After playing it, I still have no idea what to expect from the full game but suddenly I want it. I have to say it was a very effective (non)demo.

Wasn't that a mod for HL2? Is this the same thing or something else?

I remember it thinking that it was a lot cleverer than it actually was.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Question for someone in the family share beta:

How do you authorize your computer? Following the instructions I opt into the beta under settings, go to account> manage my family share devices, then I get a message that there are no authorized devices found. Well I know that, that's what I was trying to do. But there are no options or buttons on this screen so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

edit: I forgot there is also an account tab under settings... that's the correct one...

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I changed the host but basically now it pushes a notification to your phone telling you a item on your wishlist is on sale.

Mine has always done that; it's actually obnoxious. If a game on my wishlist is on sale any given day it will start up the steam app without asking me.

I'm pretty sure you can disable the notifications. I know the first sale after getting the app, it was getting pretty ridiculous, and I don't get any app popups now.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    24 hours plus a bit left on this! Just a handful of entries so far so your odds are good! Better than my odds of not dying horribly over and over in this game, anyway!

C'mon, you know you want to enter: I have 21 friends with it wishlisted, so I should have at least 21 entries! ;)

Luchaire wrote: »
    Not enough of you savages are rushing out to buy Salvation Prophecy. So screw you. I bought a copy for you.

Well, one of you anyway.

Which one, though?

Hell if I know.

Time for a short and dirty CONTEST! I'm not generally a fan of short and dirty, but hey, let's try it anyway. ;)

Want to win? Here's whatcha gotta do. Head on over to the official website. I'll even link you. Here. See? http://www.salvationprophecy.com

Peruse, prowl, and perspicate over the website (yes, I made that word up). Answer me these 5 questions in a PM:

1. What's the highest rank your character can rise to if you play the Drone Unity faction?
    2. What is the "Zaptastic" mission badge awarded for?
    3. Who gets the "Ghost" skill and what does it do?
    4. What happened in AD 2503?
    5. Which faction will you choose... and why?
    (edit: hint: all answers can be found in the "features" section)

Correct answers will get you an entry to a drawing to be held Friday night at around 8 pm EST... or just over 48 hours from now. Winner of that drawing gets to play an amazing game.

Disclaimer: Entries limited to active forum members. Please include link to Steam profile if we are not Steam friends already. Batteries not included.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    I haven't seen anyone try it yet, but a thought occurred to me. When using the [ codes] tag, you could put secret messages in there, which the person would then PM back to you for their prize. Nobody would know what the messages were except for the person posting and the person that received that message by clicking on the codes tag. This would let you gift out inventory items or other things instead of just keys, which is nice.

This way, you would also get to see the forumer who's getting the prize. You could veto them if they're not active Steam threaders (if you were so inclined). I've had a couple of hit-and-runs on my codes tags, which I'm not super upset about but you know, it's sort of disappointing.

Example (I like haiku):

[ codes]
    Over the wintry
    forest, winds howl in rage
    with no leaves to blow.
    [ /codes]

Three people would then PM you the three lines of the haiku, and you could dispense prizes however you want: first come first served from a selection, certain lines correspond to certain prizes, or whatever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TreadLifeTreadLife CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks, @Dyvim Tvar, for KGB Unleashed. Now to check on what else has been unleashed around here while I wasn't looking ...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Got some codes for Guardians of Middle-Earth through Raptr. First come first serve.

Guardians of Middle-earth 50% Steam Discount QVK85-WL6PW-CTTT7
    Guardians of Middle-earth Smaug's Treasure PN8Q5-HY8QX-WEB0A
    Guardians of Middle-earth Warriors Bundle BZKER-45B9C-VH8IW
    Guardians of Middle-earth Company of Dwarves FDZ4K-LB9L8-JX667

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
  • Options
    Disappointed in the lack of yeti.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    It's only in alpha.

Clearly the Yeti come later.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    New pages, new reminders.

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Got an email about StarDrive being on sale today. For those of you who have it, is it any good?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Escaaaaaape Goat

will be mine tonight

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Watching the Quick Look of Cook, Serve, Delicious. Yeah, I think I'll be getting that.

I bought it a fair while ago after watching the same QL and my golly is that game good. Wait, good isn't the right word. Compulsive or obsessive are probably better descriptions. You'll feel like a short order GOD when you get to the later levels when you're virtually typing 100wpm to keep up with orders

There are only two drawbacks from what is otherwise a very satisfying game that you should be mindful of.

1. It's is surprisingly long. Like really long even considering success is achieved in rote. I've long since uninstalled it so I can't check how long I played it, but I felt it took a good 8+ hours to get a 5-Star restaurant
    2. Like a jealous lover, it will make you pay dearly for inattention. If you stop playing for more than a few days by the time you're getting into the later stages, you have to work hard to be as good as you were. You don't think in this game, you act on pure instinct!

With those caveats out of the way, I've got glowing praise for Cook, Serve, Delicious! There are HEAPS of options to expand and augment your menu and restaurant, as well as infrequent events that crop up to mix things up (from health inspections to potential dates). It's fun to sort out your menu at the start of each day to rotate out foods that aren't selling so well for something new you're looking to try, and then the execution. Making soups fast will DESTROY you initially, but with a lot of practice you'll be chopping, adding, boiling and serving them up by the dozens without even looking at the keyboard. Your fingers will become a blur!

It's also pretty funny to have your first customer of the breakfast run order a beer.

I really, really enjoyed my time with it and I hope someone else will too

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    Got my 2nd self made in TF2 in the fall crates! I never posted it here because I only post the workshop items that I model, but still wanted to drop a line to say thanks to anyone that may have viewed it from my other stuff!

• Options
    Holy shit the Stanley Parable Demo is amazing and quite possibly the best demo I've ever played in the history of ever.

Also, noticed an easter egg; don't look if you haven't played the demo, because spoilers.
    A1179BC2278F35989242784FEE94918A539D317C
    Octo-Dad shoutout.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I changed the host but basically now it pushes a notification to your phone telling you a item on your wishlist is on sale.
    It already did this on mine; I usually am not logged in to Steam on my phone, so if I notice that I am, it's because the app wants to tell me something I want is on sale.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Man, Shaundi's loyalty mission was pretty fun. Shame it got cut out of the Australian version.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Everybody needs to play the new Stanley Parable demo, like right now. Demo of the year.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    $1.25 Jet Set Radio Steam codes.

Also, what is the current preferred method for moving (and still being able to run) a game to an external HD?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options

Also, what is the current preferred method for moving (and still being able to run) a game to an external HD?

Steam Mover?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I got a package today that was marked from the Royal Post, I got extremely nervous that somehow @Big Classy obtained my address after seeing threats to @CorriganX, much to my relief it was just a tie that Charles Tyrwhitt sent me.

soon.

• Options

Steam Mover?

Ok, I thought Steam had integrated something, but I guess not.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
This discussion has been closed.