As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hey narrator, I can tell you exactly what the Stanley Parable is!
    A gigantic waste of time.

Isn't that literally the entire thematic point of the game?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Anyone have any info on Stardrive? It's sitting at 61/100 on metacritic, which is not promising.

e: Hrm, from Mayhem Effect, who is banned from the Steam discussion on the game, "If features are not complete a game is considered to be in a beta state. The issue is that it is being sold as a full release version. This is a beta, it is incomplete, it is unethical to sell as a full release product. It is not worth the price tag."

Guess I'll hold off.

I know some friends who have really liked it - I haven't gotten around to playing my copy yet.

I did, however, see this shitstorm of a thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1o6ibo/zero_sum_games_stardrive_is_the_steam_daily_sale/

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hey narrator, I can tell you exactly what the Stanley Parable is!
    A gigantic waste of time.

Isn't that literally the entire thematic point of the game?

Probably. It just almost makes for an incredibly dull experience, personally.

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Anyone have any info on Stardrive? It's sitting at 61/100 on metacritic, which is not promising.

e: Hrm, from Mayhem Effect, who is banned from the Steam discussion on the game, "If features are not complete a game is considered to be in a beta state. The issue is that it is being sold as a full release version. This is a beta, it is incomplete, it is unethical to sell as a full release product. It is not worth the price tag."

Guess I'll hold off.

I know some friends who have really liked it - I haven't gotten around to playing my copy yet.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1o6ibo/zero_sum_games_stardrive_is_the_steam_daily_sale/

Thanks for the link, avoiding this one.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    signature.png

...goes to @Taramoor!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Ashe wrote: »
    signature.png

...goes to @Taramoor!

Special thanks to @Ashe for Teleglitch.

Also, I cleared about ten games from my backlog over the last week, so things are looking up.

Also, not much more time left on this:

signature.png

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Weird promo time: Buy a 2kgames download, get a Domino's gift certificate. Not a bad deal if you were after some cheap pizza, I suppose.

http://promotions.newegg.com/Gaming/13-4802/index.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL101113&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL101113-_-EMC-101113-Index-_-MECH-_-Game-L1B

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Weird promo time: Buy a 2kgames download, get a Domino's gift certificate. Not a bad deal if you were after some cheap pizza, I suppose.

http://promotions.newegg.com/Gaming/13-4802/index.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL101113&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL101113-_-EMC-101113-Index-_-MECH-_-Game-L1B

As a matter of fact, I was planning on finding some cheap pizza tonight. Thanks!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I managed enough motivation to cut together some clips from that Revelations 2012 game that @SkutSkut and @cooljammer00 and I had a little while back, viewable is grorious 1080p. If the audio sounds forced, it's because we had done the intro a few times already, but the game kept killing us or crashing or killing us while crashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEl15CnYnhI

Also, while I was dicking around on youtube anyway I decided to update the tags for that PA multiplayer Burnout Paradise game:
    bkTPKgJ.png

My dream co-op game recording is still
    a four player in-character runthrough of Aliens: Colonial Marines on Ultimate Badass difficulty with one player giving orders in the field as the Sergeant, where each player's "video feed" would take up a quarter of the video screen and it would occasionally zoom in to show one player's screen for a bit when something happened to them or they were looking at something interesting, so the viewer is sort of like Lieutenant Gorman watching from the APC during the first part of Aliens. Maybe even use some low tech looking text to show each player's name on their screen quadrant to help the viewer keep them straight, similar to this image:

zQFb5UC.png

In other news, looks like all of those Summer Sale cards are still worthless. I'm starting to rethink my "buy and hold" strategy.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Special thanks to Ashe for Teleglitch.

Also, I cleared about ten games from my backlog over the last week, so things are looking up.

The hell??!

Quick, peoples, gift Taramoor stuffs!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    It is notable that Ubisoft, Activision & EA all went bump with their recommended system on their flagships right away, but not really surprising.
    The only thing that surprises me is the recommended i7s, I know the nextgen consoles are 8 cored too, but I was under the impression that the AMD 8 core is not that similar to the i7 8 core setup. i7s are also pretty rare, if you look at stuff like the steamsurvey.

This probably is the end of 32bit/dx9 gaming though. Doubt you'll see that much in a year or two, they want to move beyond that RAM limit.

Moving beyond is a good thing. We have been stalled in the PC market for a while. I understand not wanting to buy new stuff all the time, but I'm tired of 32 bit. I get that the hump to move to 64 might be a bit, but we need to get there.
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    That's more of a forelog, though, isn't it?

I think your wishlist is your forelog.
    As for people clearing backlogs, yeah not happening for me. Skyrim has me hooked, and I have so many quests to do.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Escape Goat is up? I love farm animal themed games, is it as awesome as it looks?

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    It is notable that Ubisoft, Activision & EA all went bump with their recommended system on their flagships right away, but not really surprising.
    The only thing that surprises me is the recommended i7s, I know the nextgen consoles are 8 cored too, but I was under the impression that the AMD 8 core is not that similar to the i7 8 core setup. i7s are also pretty rare, if you look at stuff like the steamsurvey.

This probably is the end of 32bit/dx9 gaming though. Doubt you'll see that much in a year or two, they want to move beyond that RAM limit.

Moving beyond is a good thing. We have been stalled in the PC market for a while. I understand not wanting to buy new stuff all the time, but I'm tired of 32 bit. I get that the hump to move to 64 might be a bit, but we need to get there.

There's really no reason to be running a 32bit OS on a modern system unless you desperately need 16bit compatibility, and even then there are always VMs or DOSBox.

The most powerful 32bit CPU I can think of is maybe an original Core Duo, or maybe a Pentium 4 (even the later P4s were 64bit)? Neither of those are going to be running any modern Ubisoft/Activision/EA AAA games anyway.

• Options
    Holy shit.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/255520/

Play as a janitor cleaning up Wang's mess from the first level of the game.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »

There's really no reason to be running a 32bit OS on a modern system unless you desperately need 16bit compatibility, and even then there are always VMs or DOSBox.

The most powerful 32bit CPU I can think of is maybe an original Core Duo, or maybe a Pentium 4 (even the later P4s were 64bit)? Neither of those are going to be running any modern Ubisoft/Activision/EA AAA games anyway.

Maybe I spoke wrong. I'm 64 bit. I think everyone should be. I feel that we had a stall were games weren't taking advantage of multi core, 64 bit, extra ram. But, I did kinda take a break from games for a while. I guess, I'm glad we are moving to pushing the limit on what is a good game experience. Even if it costs me money.
    On a side note, Wedding is close. 81 days till. Invitations sent, RSVP's coming back. Still so much to do. On that, what are some good steam "wedding" games. For no reason at all, but just curiosity?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Holy shit.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/255520/

Play as a janitor cleaning up Wang's mess from the first level of the game.

I was just coming to post this. The original Viscera cleanup is on greenlight and it's actually a compelling idea.

http://www.runestorm.com/viscera

There is an alpha to try.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    In other news, looks like all of those Summer Sale cards are still worthless. I'm starting to rethink my "buy and hold" strategy.

I suspect you'll have to wait until more folks care about their steam level for the value to increase on those. They seem to slowly be expanding the value of steam level and the prominence of badges, so it might not be that long.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Jragghen wrote: »

Guess I'll hold off.

Thanks for the link, avoiding this one.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1o6ibo/zero_sum_games_stardrive_is_the_steam_daily_sale/ccpdncg

There is the response from the Dev on Reddit. Sounds like a decent guy and the explanation is good enough for me. But everyone will have their opinion.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Oh man, happy birthday to me! As I was mulling over spending non-card money on Steam I scored a review copy of The Wolf Among Us. I know what I will be doing tonight and the rest of the weekend! :)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Oh man, I had almost forgot about the boring that was Revelations 2012.

The video did remind me that I need a better microphone. The one I have now is a headset mic that buzzes a lot, due to some sort of electrical tomfoolery I'm not able to understand. Would a USB headset be better? Would it avoid the buzz that I get with a standard microphone jack?

Should I just invest in a condenser mic and be rid of all these issues?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    Please don't say I missed a bit.
    LYkr4HY.jpg

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    PA Report liked Bionic Dues too. How many people is Arcen? Do they have like a superbrain in a vat somewhere coming up with all these ideas? I feel like they launch a new, interesting game every six months. That's probably hyperbole, but it does feel that way.
    They should hire another artist or two. Their sales can't be helped by what it, imo, a pretty consistently homely aesthetic.

Okay, now I feel bad about myself for saying that...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So you know that feeling you get from finishing Spec Ops or The Walking Dead? Well. ..... I just finished watching Les Miserablés. Way worse. Way freaking worse. Also most apt title ever. I am gonna be depressed for months.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Watching the Quick Look of Cook, Serve, Delicious. Yeah, I think I'll be getting that.

I bought it a fair while ago after watching the same QL and my golly is that game good. Wait, good isn't the right word. Compulsive or obsessive are probably better descriptions. You'll feel like a short order GOD when you get to the later levels when you're virtually typing 100wpm to keep up with orders

There are only two drawbacks from what is otherwise a very satisfying game that you should be mindful of.

1. It's is surprisingly long. Like really long even considering success is achieved in rote. I've long since uninstalled it so I can't check how long I played it, but I felt it took a good 8+ hours to get a 5-Star restaurant
    2. Like a jealous lover, it will make you pay dearly for inattention. If you stop playing for more than a few days by the time you're getting into the later stages, you have to work hard to be as good as you were. You don't think in this game, you act on pure instinct!

With those caveats out of the way, I've got glowing praise for Cook, Serve, Delicious! There are HEAPS of options to expand and augment your menu and restaurant, as well as infrequent events that crop up to mix things up (from health inspections to potential dates). It's fun to sort out your menu at the start of each day to rotate out foods that aren't selling so well for something new you're looking to try, and then the execution. Making soups fast will DESTROY you initially, but with a lot of practice you'll be chopping, adding, boiling and serving them up by the dozens without even looking at the keyboard. Your fingers will become a blur!

It's also pretty funny to have your first customer of the breakfast run order a beer.

I really, really enjoyed my time with it and I hope someone else will too

signature.png

I played some of this last night and yeah, it's pretty fun. I've worked in food service before, and I got that familiar sinking feeling looking at the clock and seeing almost time for the lunch or dinner rush. But I also got that relieved feeling when it was over and I could catch my breath for a minute. I watch a lot of Food Network and the like, so it's fun to pretend I'm banging out orders and getting shit done.

• Options
    http://getgamesgo.com/product/lego-harry-potter-years-1-4

Lego Harry Potter for 5 bucks. Steam key. They're having a general large WB sale but that game is fairly rarely on sale, at least in the steam key variety. Have heard some pretty bad things about the port though.

Other notables:
    Lego LOTR, War in the North, Fear series, all the recent Batmans including Lego, and Scribblenauts Unlimited.

• Options

The video did remind me that I need a better microphone. The one I have now is a headset mic that buzzes a lot, due to some sort of electrical tomfoolery I'm not able to understand. Would a USB headset be better? Would it avoid the buzz that I get with a standard microphone jack?

If you wanna just bite the bullet price wise: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-gb/product/g35-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset are what I use and they've never given me trouble. Never had complaints about my voice quality either.

Indeed since using them the number of slightly creepy anglophilic comments on my accent has gone up. Make of that what you will.

• Options
    Indeed since using them the number of slightly creepy anglophilic comments on my accent has gone up. Make of that what you will.

Rawr.

8->

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Luchaire wrote: »

Rawr.

8->

Yeah, exactly. D:

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Post for the day crowd. Ends tonight!

Not enough of you savages are rushing out to buy Salvation Prophecy. So screw you. I bought a copy for you.

Well, one of you anyway.

Which one, though?

Hell if I know.

Time for a short and dirty CONTEST! I'm not generally a fan of short and dirty, but hey, let's try it anyway. ;)

Want to win? Here's whatcha gotta do. Head on over to the official website. I'll even link you. Here. See? http://www.salvationprophecy.com

Peruse, prowl, and perspicate over the website (yes, I made that word up). Answer me these 5 questions in a PM:

1. What's the highest rank your character can rise to if you play the Drone Unity faction?
    2. What is the "Zaptastic" mission badge awarded for?
    3. Who gets the "Ghost" skill and what does it do?
    4. What happened in AD 2503?
    5. Which faction will you choose... and why?
    (edit: hint: all answers can be found in the "features" section)

Correct answers will get you an entry to a drawing to be held Friday night at around 8 pm EST... or just over 48 hours from now. Winner of that drawing gets to play an amazing game.

Disclaimer: Entries limited to active forum members. Please include link to Steam profile if we are not Steam friends already. Batteries not included.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

Rawr.

8->

Yeah, exactly. D:
    That's why I steer away from online games with chat. I worry that my luxurious Maine accent will drive women too crazy and they'll start stalking me begging me to use my colorful island phrases and asking me to say things are wicked awesome over and over again.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

If you wanna just bite the bullet price wise: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-gb/product/g35-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset are what I use and they've never given me trouble. Never had complaints about my voice quality either.

Well I don't think I need anything THAT fancy, even if it comes with several adoring fans.

I was just wondering if USB microphones/headsets would fix my buzzing problem. I hear there's something about grounding loops.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    So you know that feeling you get from finishing Spec Ops or The Walking Dead? Well. ..... I just finished watching Les Miserablés. Way worse. Way freaking worse. Also most apt title ever. I am gonna be depressed for months.

Probably not that long, but at least one day more, yeah.

• Options

Rawr.

8->

Yeah, exactly. D:

That's why I steer away from online games with chat. I worry that my luxurious Maine accent will drive women too crazy and they'll start stalking me begging me to use my colorful island phrases and asking me to say things are wicked awesome over and over again.

Ayuh. Could happen... Wicked good chance. ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Replayed The Stanley Parable Demo. It crashed. I wasn't sure for a while if it had crashed or was just some weird thing the game was doing to mess with me.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Replayed The Stanley Parable Demo. It crashed. I wasn't sure for a while if it had crashed or was just some weird thing the game was doing to mess with me.

I had a similar issue at the end, where the sound looped and it sounded like the game was about to crash but then it recovered. Wasn't sure if it was fucking with me or not. Looking at the forums, it was not intentional and they're patching it shortly.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    Speaking of said demo.

I just finished it.

It's kinda awesome.

Also, some non-spoilerish pictures. Because this is the most I've ever wanted to screenshot a source engine game set in an office, going to spoiler tag them though incase anyone wants to go in truly blind:
    69A8BA9B859BC3E30D94C86DEB9A87E088133D6E

12382CC5C93261CCED9116D5E38623EFDE568480

C699F0FE0B614A3E541E58693A80DC67BD6B6738

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    $1.25 Jet Set Radio Steam codes.

Also, what is the current preferred method for moving (and still being able to run) a game to an external HD?

@bloodatonement: Late on this but you should be able to create a secondary library through Steam on the external drive, copy the game folder over, delete game via Steam, re-install game to secondary library via Steam.

I've been slowly doing this to games I've previously given the SteamMover treatment to because it feels like the upgrade / patch process on these games really thrash my drives.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Here we go again. 24 hours (or so) to go!

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    So I opened my email just now only to get knocked down by an unexpected Hadoken from @Talus9952 .

Thanks so much for Super Street Fighter® IV Arcade Edition!

Now I gotta clean up 10 gigs of space on my SSD to install it.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
This discussion has been closed.