As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Iolo wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    FYI, I hear you can buy Borderlands 2 GOTY game code from Newegg for about $18 if you use a coupon code. The code is EMCWXWW235.

EDIT: Also works for Brave New World for $9.

Supposedly, This is the full list of games the code works for. It's a 70% off code.

tested it on BNW (with the windows version, naturally) and it wouldn't apply.

This is a Mac sale. But BNW is Steamworks. Your Mac code will activate on Steam and play nice with your Windows Civ V just fine.

oh. I didn't know any of that. Well, except that BNW / Civ V were steamworks. I knew that bit.

I shall take you at your word. Thanks!

Tamin on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Dear Steam, convince people to buy my cards. I need 44 cents, and I believe that you can make that happen.

camo_sig2.png
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    FYI, I hear you can buy Borderlands 2 GOTY game code from Newegg for about $18 if you use a coupon code. The code is EMCWXWW235.

Supposedly, This is the full list of games the code works for. It's a 70% off code.

tested it on BNW (with the windows version, naturally) and it wouldn't apply.

This is a Mac sale. But BNW is Steamworks. Your Mac code will activate on Steam and play nice with your Windows Civ V just fine.

oh. I didn't know any of that. Well, except that BNW / Civ V were steamworks. I knew that bit.

I shall take you at your word. Thanks!

Actually, the thing you're looking for is SteamPlay, not Steamworks. But it is SteamPlay.

Steamworks means that the game will require steam, even if you bought a physical copy.

SteamPlay means if you have a copy of the game, you can play that same copy on both Mac and Windows.

Talus9952 on
    steam_sig.png
    Aaaaand BL2 goty is discontinued form Newegg, likely due to it being out of stock.

steam_sig.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Hmm, A Machine for Pigs is not running very well. Appears to be a fairly common problem. Constant FPS drops, usually when something is about to happen which can kinda make a horror game a bit less scary. Looks like they are testing some 1.02 patch but it's been languishing since September without an official release. Tried it but it seemed to make things worse, capped me at 40 FPS for whatever reason with occassional spikes to 60.

Hope the patch is out by Halloween.

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    crossposted from the scary games thread:
    Invictus wrote: »
    I can't believe Knock-Knock hasn't been mentioned.

Brought to you by quite possibly the most innovative game developers there are, creators of Pathologic and the Void, Knock-Knock is full on dread-inducing. You're a hermit (?) in a giant house in the woods, and sometimes things get in, maybe. I don't want to say too much more; things are weird, guys, and maybe it's your fault?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9yB7uo_WQo

EDIT: also, it's $8 on GoG and I think $10 on steam right now; it was $8.50 yesterday but I think tha'ts done now.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    why is my connection so bad you guys

I just want to buy BNW

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Deus Ex Director's cut Steam details:
    http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/dxhr-–-director’s-cut-pc-digital-release-details

If you don't own the game: 20 bucks
    If you own the game but no DLC: 10
    If you own the game and DLC: 5

Pretty nifty of them. I don't think the other platforms are getting nearly as good of a deal.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I think I got Deus Ex HR for 5 dollars total anyway.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    more of this "you're an existing customer, have a discount" thing please

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Do I want Stardrive?

All i know about it: It's a 4X space strategy game.
    it has samurai bears.
    it had a rough launch

Is it newbie-friendly?
    What makes it different from other 4X games?

There's some discussion in the last page about it. Something about the game being abandonware.

Cool, glad to know it's not a complete game and that it might be abandoned altogether.

Neither of these things are, as far as I am aware, the case - I put my Stardrive thoughts a few posts back. AFAIK their indie developer is still active, so it's definitely not abandonware, in any form.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Aaaaand BL2 goty is discontinued form Newegg, likely due to it being out of stock.

Dammit, @Iolo!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Do I want Stardrive?

it has samurai bears.
    it had a rough launch

Is it newbie-friendly?

There's some discussion in the last page about it. Something about the game being abandonware.

Cool, glad to know it's not a complete game and that it might be abandoned altogether.

Neither of these things are, as far as I am aware, the case - I put my Stardrive thoughts a few posts back. AFAIK their indie developer is still active, so it's definitely not abandonware, in any form.

I only skimmed some of the reddit links posted a couple of pages back. So I apologize if that's not correct. But you should read through them if you want to be properly informed.

steam_sig.png
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Do I want Stardrive?

it has samurai bears.
    it had a rough launch

Is it newbie-friendly?

I only skimmed some of the reddit links posted a couple of pages back. So I apologize if that's not correct. But you should read through them if you want to be properly informed.

Indeed. I had a quick glance through them myself. There are people, and they are unhappy, and that's their prerogative, of course. And I'd be amongst the first to say that the edges on Stardrive are (or were when I was playing it) a bit rough but it's a small indie piece, and not, say, Sword of the Stars.

I wouldn't pay full price for it (£24.99 currently), but when it's on sale...it may be worth it.
    (Really I'm just saying it's not abandonware, really - the dev and the publisher are both active, and if they don't want to update it any further, that's something to be aware of when you settle on an acceptable pricepoint, but it's not abandoned, per se.)

Anyway: Samurai Space Bears. It's fun. Not fantastic, but fun. Now, weekend.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Oh hey, DMC Devil May Cry is 12.50 today.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    What's this Iesabel game? It looks like an more actiony Diablo. Anyone tried it?

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Ceno wrote: »
    My 19-month-old daughter had cataract removal/lens replacement surgery this morning, and it went perfectly! She's doing great! I am utterly exhausted, but happy. To celebrate, here's something that will let you do the opposite of all the good things that happened to my daughter this morning.

signature.png

We have a weiner! Congratulations @Emberquick, you get to commit heinous surgical crimes!

I am immeasurably tired.

Ceno on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Dear Steam, convince people to buy my cards. I need 44 cents, and I believe that you can make that happen.

I'll be damned - it worked. I now own Cook, Serve, Delicious!

camo_sig2.png
  • JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular

Defintely grabbed Brave New World for that price!

Picked up the Psycho and Mechromancer DLC from newegg just now. Makes up for the lack of BL2 dlc on sale last weekend during 2k games weekend!

steam_sig.png
  • striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    Escape Goat is up? I love farm animal themed games, is it as awesome as it looks?

@Lindsey Lohan I'm kinda amazed no one answered this although maybe I skipped it somehow. It is a very well done puzzle platformer. Definitely worth it, although I think the game came up before in this thread in relation to you once before:)

steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/2091086367898728503
    Here's a quick look at some games being played with the prototype version of the Steam Controller -- the same version that we'll shipping to 300 Steam users later this year. We'll post more demonstrations like this soon, including footage of some other game developers using the controller to play their own games.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeAjkbNq4xI

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Do I want Stardrive?

it has samurai bears.
    it had a rough launch

Is it newbie-friendly?

Indeed. I had a quick glance through them myself. There are people, and they are unhappy, and that's their prerogative, of course. And I'd be amongst the first to say that the edges on Stardrive are (or were when I was playing it) a bit rough but it's a small indie piece, and not, say, Sword of the Stars.

I wouldn't pay full price for it (£24.99 currently), but when it's on sale...it may be worth it.
    (Really I'm just saying it's not abandonware, really - the dev and the publisher are both active, and if they don't want to update it any further, that's something to be aware of when you settle on an acceptable pricepoint, but it's not abandoned, per se.)

Anyway: Samurai Space Bears. It's fun. Not fantastic, but fun. Now, weekend.

In light of the clusterfuck that was SotS 2, I would choose another analogy, unless you're saying StarDrive 2 is going to give me testicular cancer and turn my girlfriend into a lesbian. That made more sense in my head....

• VeganVegan Registered User regular

It's a nice idea, but it sounds like they want money for a patch that finally fixes the boss fights, if you already bought the game.

steam_sig.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »

It's a nice idea, but it sounds like they want money for a patch that finally fixes the boss fights, if you already bought the game.

What was the issue with the boss fights again? I played it but I don't remember anything standing out about them.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    PA Report liked Bionic Dues too. How many people is Arcen? Do they have like a superbrain in a vat somewhere coming up with all these ideas? I feel like they launch a new, interesting game every six months. That's probably hyperbole, but it does feel that way.
    They should hire another artist or two. Their sales can't be helped by what it, imo, a pretty consistently homely aesthetic.

Okay, now I feel bad about myself for saying that...

No spoiler, just general stuff about Arcen;
    I think as of this moment Arcen is up to around ten people total? Also they've been contracting all of the art to Heavy Cat Studios since AVWW2 and they've hired an Art Director as well. I guess maybe the aesthetic looks homely to a lot of people but it totally reminds me of the kind of art you used to see in table top and video games produced in the 80s. Some of it I find genuinely awesome.

And if it feels like they are launching a new game every few months now, well that's because they are. I think they really want to have another IP or two that makes them some money. AI War has supported Arcen well but they've had a few bumps in the road since then. So they've taken a look at concepts for games they've had floating around and are experimenting with a short production phase to get the ideas out, into peoples hands. This way they can produce their experimental games without taking the kinds of risks that A Valley Without Wind presented. That risk being a relatively expensive production phase for Arcen while the final product has a relatively niche audience and a potentially divisive reception.

So yeah, they are pricing these games accordingly and all of them have long term support and expansion roadmaps if they are received well. If not then they'll support the game with maintenance updates for what fans the game does have.

As for Bionic Dues? I think it's pretty great (suprise!). Seriously, it's really cool to see Arcen go to their strengths of strategy gaming and smart procedural generation. There's three layers of gameplay going on. You have your Exo selection and configuration, which is pretty analogous to an adventurer party in an RPG. You get loot every mission, some mission potentially lots and lots of loot. It's all procedurally generated stuff, Diablo style. All of the Exos have lots of slots for this stuff, configured to their specific duties. Assaults have lots of shields and guns but not much computer. Science has a ton of computer but lacks in guns. And you could say that these two classes are much like Fighters and Magic Users if this were a fantasy setting. So you have lots of options for which four of the six types you'll take and in what numbers. If you want to roll all Assault then go for it. You also get to pick an Exo Commander who will give an over all special ability to the whole squad.

The next layer is the mission selection part, or the City Map. Your headquarters will be placed in the city and it is surrounded by mission opportunities. I haven't seen all the mission types yet, but there is already quite a variety with interesting objectives and loot payouts. Each mission uses up at least one day, of which you have fifty before Robopocalypse, which is You vs Errybody, in your headquarters, to the death. If you pick your missions wisely you can whittle down the power and number of this showdown into something that isn't going to just lol faceroll your Exos. So far I've found this a pretty engaging strategy layer that has major implications for the way you power up your squad and come to the final confrontation.

The final layer is the tactical layer. This is where the game gets really roguelike. And as I've always suspected, Arcen is really good at this style of tactical turn based gameplay. Every mission is like a dungeon floor, your lead Exo is teleported into the dungeon in a safe area. Then it's up to you to achieve the mission goals one quick turn after another. As situations arise, you can teleport the Exo of your choice into play to deal with the situation. Like right at mission start, since I'm safe I'll immediately switch to my Science Exo to take advantage of its superior sensor range so I can get good situational awareness and decide which of my three combat units are best for the situation. I can see lots of opportunity already for great squad compositions and loadouts, from stealthy hacking and viral squads of Ninja and Science Exos to heavy hitting mixes of Assault, Siege, Brawler and Sniper. And objectives range from rescuing hostage civilians who are frozen in cryotubes, raiding armories, destroying robot factories and command centers to just blowing everything the fuck up and racing for the exit. And as far as the procedural generation goes, it's very smartly done. Environments are rich with destroyable cover, explosive objects, exploitable computer systems and locked caches full of loot waiting for a hacking.

TL;DR, So yeah, intense yet fast and accessible strategy and tactics with a sweet crunchy center of tactical roguelike combat with interesting enemy design and great procedural generation that really creates interesting choices and tactical situations. This could be Arcen's best game to date in terms of broad appeal with strategy gamers, especially if you like well realized sci fi robot combat.

Drake on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

What was the issue with the boss fights again? I played it but I don't remember anything standing out about them.

They were arena-like and were meant for combat characters. If you didn't build yourself to be a war machine, you ended up having serious issues because you got stuffed into a small arena with a super enemy.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

The fact that they were there

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

They were arena-like and were meant for combat characters. If you didn't build yourself to be a war machine, you ended up having serious issues because you got stuffed into a small arena with a super enemy.

Ah, I built mine for combat, explains why I didn't notice it as much.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular

The game needed non-combat ways of solving boss fights. Or at least alternate ways of killing the bosses (you know, cleverly hack this and that...then drop a piano on the dude).

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Deus Ex Director's cut Steam details:
    http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/dxhr-–-director’s-cut-pc-digital-release-details

If you don't own the game: 20 bucks
    If you own the game but no DLC: 10
    If you own the game and DLC: 5

Pretty nifty of them. I don't think the other platforms are getting nearly as good of a deal.

The directors cut is non lame boss fights, NG+ and commentary? I don't see how that is a "directors cut," but semantics aside, not a bad reason to revisit it.

And did how did they mess up on how old DXHR is?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular

Yeah, since one of the hallmarks of Deus Ex is being able to approach situations in multiple ways, do lethal or non-lethal, etc., it was pretty damn galling that they would make the boss fights the way they did.

steam_sig.png
  • echo 78echo 78 Title Registered User regular
    Why does Deponia have a 2.3gb update? O.o

steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Damnit! Missed out on the BL2 GOTY newegg sale...

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    New Groupees Build a 1C Mega Bundle: http://groupees.com/1cmb

Select at least two of these titles (for a $1 minimum price):
    Theatre of War (Steam)
    Theatre of War 2 : Afrika 1943 (Steam)
    Theatre of War 2 : Kursk + DLC (Steam)
    Theatre of War 3 : Korea (Steam)
    Fantasy Wars (Steam)
    Rig n Roll (Steam)
    King’s Bounty : The Legend (Steam)
    King’s Bounty : Armored Princess (Steam)
    Men of War (Steam)
    Men of War : Vietnam (Steam)
    Men of War : Assault Squad GOTY (Steam)
    Star Wolves 1 (Steam)
    Star Wolves 2 (Steam)
    Star Wolves 3 : Civil War (Steam)
    Alien Shooter : Gold
    Borderzone
    Brigade E5 : New Jagged Union
    Dawn of Magic
    Konung 2
    Parkan 2
    UFO Afterlight (Steam)
    UFO Aftermath
    UFO Aftershock
    Planet Alcatraz
    Death Track Resurrection

BONUS:
    Men of War : Red Tide (Steam)
    Dawn of Magic 2 (Steam)
    Death to Spies : Gold (Steam)
    Fairytale
    Freight Tycoon Inc (to be unlocked when 7.500 bundles are sold)

HiT BiT on
  • HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    New Groupees Build a 1C Mega Bundle: http://groupees.com/1cmb

Great bundle. Death to Spies: Gold is actually a Steam key as well.

steam_sig.png
    Damnit! Missed out on the BL2 GOTY newegg sale...

Blame @Iolo :)

steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I hear you on the Arcen art style, @Drake. I played a lot of those same games. Battletech/Mechwarrior in particular had that 'distinctive' art style (by which I mean limbs were rarely foreshortened correctly, perspective was Picasso-esque, etc. I don't think there was a straight rifle barrel or Warhammer PPC arm drawn that entire decade.) I'd just as soon leave it behind, but opinions and assholes and whatnot.

If their goal is to iterate a bunch of interesting games quickly to get one to be as sticky and lucrative as AI War, though, they ought to iterate the art style too. Especially if it's contracted out already. How many more people would take a dip if AVWW or Bionic Dues looked like Bastion/Transistor or Hyper Light Drifter instead of an old GURPS module?

EDIT: This BL2 drought isn't my fault!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    The controller looks reallllll nice.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Those Men of War games are excellent, especially Assault Squad GOTY. Get on that if you don't have them yet.

Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.