As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    Do I want Stardrive?

All i know about it: It's a 4X space strategy game.
    it has samurai bears.
    it had a rough launch

Is it newbie-friendly?
    What makes it different from other 4X games?

There's some discussion in the last page about it. Something about the game being abandonware.

Cool, glad to know it's not a complete game and that it might be abandoned altogether.

Neither of these things are, as far as I am aware, the case - I put my Stardrive thoughts a few posts back. AFAIK their indie developer is still active, so it's definitely not abandonware, in any form.

I only skimmed some of the reddit links posted a couple of pages back. So I apologize if that's not correct. But you should read through them if you want to be properly informed.

Indeed. I had a quick glance through them myself. There are people, and they are unhappy, and that's their prerogative, of course. And I'd be amongst the first to say that the edges on Stardrive are (or were when I was playing it) a bit rough but it's a small indie piece, and not, say, Sword of the Stars.

I wouldn't pay full price for it (£24.99 currently), but when it's on sale...it may be worth it.
    (Really I'm just saying it's not abandonware, really - the dev and the publisher are both active, and if they don't want to update it any further, that's something to be aware of when you settle on an acceptable pricepoint, but it's not abandoned, per se.)

Anyway: Samurai Space Bears. It's fun. Not fantastic, but fun. Now, weekend.

In light of the clusterfuck that was SotS 2, I would choose another analogy, unless you're saying StarDrive 2 is going to give me testicular cancer and turn my girlfriend into a lesbian. That made more sense in my head....

I stand by my dubious analogy, purely to see if this happens.

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Vegan wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    more of this "you're an existing customer, have a discount" thing please

It's a nice idea, but it sounds like they want money for a patch that finally fixes the boss fights, if you already bought the game.

It's not just a "boss patch". It also improves AI and graphics, adds a New Game+ mode, developer commentary, making-of video and all previous DLCs. I will gladly play 4 eurobucks for this upgrade.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    I hear you on the Arcen art style, @Drake. I played a lot of those same games. Battletech/Mechwarrior in particular had that 'distinctive' art style (by which I mean limbs were rarely foreshortened correctly, perspective was Picasso-esque, etc. I don't think there was a straight rifle barrel or Warhammer PPC arm drawn that entire decade.) I'd just as soon leave it behind, but opinions and assholes and whatnot.

If their goal is to iterate a bunch of interesting games quickly to get one to be as sticky and lucrative as AI War, though, they ought to iterate the art style too. Especially if it's contracted out already. How many more people would take a dip if AVWW or Bionic Dues looked like Bastion/Transistor or Hyper Light Drifter instead of an old GURPS module?

EDIT: This BL2 drought isn't my fault!

Yeah, I get where you are coming from on the art. I've seen the higher end stuff that Heavy Cat is capable of, the issue is just one of time and money. One of the issues that Arcen faces is the sheer amount of stuff they put into their games. Even a smaller, simple game like Skyward Collapse has tons of units and tiles. It's an easy fact to miss I guess, and a credit to how good they can be at juggling a lot of balls. But when it comes to producing assets for them, the sheer volume creates a cost to quality factor. When you think about it, it's pretty amazing that they've managed to stick around considering how most of their catalog has performed financially.

Arcen is the type of studio where if it comes to cutting cost on developing gameplay or art, they'll choose art. These are primarily game projects whereas something like Bastion could be seen as something of an art project, taken on by artists as an art-in-games exhibit. It certainly comes up in the games-as-art arguments enough. I just don't think the mechanically heavy nature of Arcen games are going to attract the attention of some mad art savant who is just dying to dress up those mechanics and is willing to take a hit to the wallet to do so. Not that I wouldn't love to see super high quality art to go along with these mechanics. I've always argued that their core audience are the types that loved the complicated and sometimes fiddly table top games of the 80s but vidja-game-ified. They come from a tradition that has generally seen aesthetics as a secondary consideration. Important in its own way but ultimately the fluff and chrome bits. Not the beating, living heart of the system.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Eh, I really like mechanics and system design stuff in games.

I still can't do more than glance at Arcen games because of how they look. It's just completely unappealing and the presentation hardly does the gameplay favours either because the art's not always super clear enough on what's going on from what I played of AI war.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Seeing as Squeenix is under no obligation to give anyone anything free they spent time redesigning, and seeing as the handful of boss fights were a very tiny fraction of one long, excellent game, and the apparent other additions like dev commentary and NG+ and AI and visual improvements (the latter of which alone I'd say you could expect from a patch), I'd say the Director's Cut is marvelous. The only thing I'm skeptical of is packing Missing Link in there, because that's several hours of content that is decent but not amazing that you could otherwise skip, and including the many points from what was originally a stand-alone session resetting you to blank slate and providing all its own experience could just mean taking you from already having most everything you'd want by endgame (if you were thorough) to running out of things to upgrade, but that last part is a small complaint.

All told, I didn't expect them to prorate it and wasn't bothered that they wouldn't, but they've been doing us pretty solid I think. Great games like Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, apparently Sleeping Dogs, strong discount curves to match, and now prorating? Acti could learn a thing or three.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    striderjg wrote: »
    Escape Goat is up? I love farm animal themed games, is it as awesome as it looks?

Lindsey Lohan I'm kinda amazed no one answered this although maybe I skipped it somehow. It is a very well done puzzle platformer. Definitely worth it, although I think the game came up before in this thread in relation to you once before:)
    Thanks. I did mention buying it blindly before based solely on Goat inclusion. I have to give it more thought this weekend, there are a lot of things battling over the entertainment budget between Origin Sims sales, Capcom sales and my recent return to playing Magic cards. I'll probably grab it tonight though - I've been waiting for it to hit Steam for awhile.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Eh, I really like mechanics and system design stuff in games.

I still can't do more than glance at Arcen games because of how they look. It's just completely unappealing and the presentation hardly does the gameplay favours either because the art's not always super clear enough on what's going on from what I played of AI war.

AI War is meant to be played zoomed out. Rarely have I needed to zoom in far enough to actually see the art assets for the units while playing. I depend almost entirely on the unit symbols and tooltips. This is probably the biggest example of the art as chrome in one of their games. It's a large scale game, but they still cared enough about the fine details to give all of the game's assets some kind of art.

I guess in the end I'm just glad I'm not hung up on aesthetics in games, otherwise I would have missed out on some awesome games.

Drake on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/2091086367898728503
    Here's a quick look at some games being played with the prototype version of the Steam Controller -- the same version that we'll shipping to 300 Steam users later this year. We'll post more demonstrations like this soon, including footage of some other game developers using the controller to play their own games.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeAjkbNq4xI

I'm not thrilled with repeatedly swiping your finger across the trackpad to turn around.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    The controller still looks backwards to me. It's like step 1 of their design process was "turn a 360 pad over, get rid of the battery pack, and let's get started!"

camo_sig2.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    The Wolf Among Us seems to be having issues with gamepads, in case it crashes on you. Works fine without, and they've redesigned enough of the UI to be more PC friendlier these days that I'll probably just forgo the pad.

• RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    Yeah, I still think the controller is hideous as all hell. But it's a prototype so who knows what the final product will look like. In any case, it looks like an incredibly functional controller and I am excited to get it in my hands.

steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    The controller still looks backwards to me. It's like step 1 of their design process was "turn a 360 pad over, get rid of the battery pack, and let's get started!"

I'm down for any controller that feels good to use. We don't need to stick to classic structure just because it's worked for years. As long as it doesn't feel awkward, confusing, or let me make accidental actions, I'm okay with change.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular

I'm down for any controller that feels good to use. We don't need to stick to classic structure just because it's worked for years. As long as it doesn't feel awkward, confusing, or let me make accidental actions, I'm okay with change.

I agree - it's just the first thing that springs to mind every time I see one.

camo_sig2.png
  • EmberquickEmberquick Master of Dungeons Deep UndergroundRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Ceno wrote: »
    My 19-month-old daughter had cataract removal/lens replacement surgery this morning, and it went perfectly! She's doing great! I am utterly exhausted, but happy. To celebrate, here's something that will let you do the opposite of all the good things that happened to my daughter this morning.

signature.png

We have a weiner! Congratulations @Emberquick, you get to commit heinous surgical crimes!

I am immeasurably tired.

Whoa! thanks!

Given that my father in-law is undergoing a triple bypass at this exact moment, I hope you don't mind if I wait to redeem this until after I hear that he made it through okay.

Just being a bit superstitious I guess--I mean, I've seen videos of this game . . . .

Emberquick on
    steam_sig.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    spool32 wrote: »
    I'm not thrilled with repeatedly swiping your finger across the trackpad to turn around.

Yeah, using a tiny trackpad is not an ideal replacement for me. Just seeing a few seconds of swiping it to center and then repositioning to swipe over again to cross the screen and hit the buttons on Civ was enough to annoy me. For a game like that, at least, maybe it has a relative setting so it behaves like a stick if you hold a toggle down.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png

I agree with this!

But I'm still concerned about the jerk-pause, jerk-pause action that swiping your finger would create. It won't be the ssssllllooowwwwtttuuuurrrrnnnnohgodimdead of a CV stick, but it won't be the precise motion of a mouse either.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular

Yeah, using a tiny trackpad is not an ideal replacement for me. Just seeing a few seconds of swiping it to center and then repositioning to swipe over again to cross the screen and hit the buttons on Civ was enough to annoy me. For a game like that, at least, maybe it has a relative setting so it behaves like a stick if you hold a toggle down.

They address that issue toward the end of the video they show it being used while configured with both pads set to be mouse movement where it blends the movement from both pads to eliminate the repositioning.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • krackqkrackq Registered User regular
    Something mindless for the weekend!:

signature.png

steam_sig.png
    Incindium wrote: »

They address that issue toward the end of the video they show it being used while configured with both pads set to be mouse movement where it blends the movement from both pads to eliminate the repositioning.

also earlier in the civ demo they show how mapping one pad to movement and one to mouse works... the movement one gives you a constant scrolling.

• ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Holy shit.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/255520/

Play as a janitor cleaning up Wang's mess from the first level of the game.

Greeat....now I want Shadow Warrior even more!

steam_sig.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular

also earlier in the civ demo they show how mapping one pad to movement and one to mouse works... the movement one gives you a constant scrolling.

Both of which wouldn't address the FPS problem being discussed in regards to the Portal "Legacy Mode" section of the video, as the right pad was being used for WASD.

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    The Wolf Among Us seems to be having issues with gamepads, in case it crashes on you. Works fine without, and they've redesigned enough of the UI to be more PC friendlier these days that I'll probably just forgo the pad.
    Here's hoping the save bug from the Walking Dead has been fixed.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Excision wrote: »
    Holy shit.

Greeat....now I want Shadow Warrior even more!

I want viscera cleanup duty on steam even more

• IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Enclave and Gorky 17 steam keys were added to the groupees be mine 6 bundle for people who bought that in the past.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Emberquick wrote: »
    My 19-month-old daughter had cataract removal/lens replacement surgery this morning, and it went perfectly! She's doing great! I am utterly exhausted, but happy. To celebrate, here's something that will let you do the opposite of all the good things that happened to my daughter this morning.

signature.png

We have a weiner! Congratulations @Emberquick, you get to commit heinous surgical crimes!

I am immeasurably tired.

Whoa! thanks!

Given that my father in-law is undergoing a triple bypass at this exact moment, I hope you don't mind if I wait to redeem this until after I hear that he made it through okay.

Just being a bit superstitious I guess--I mean, I've seen videos of this game . . . .

Take your time! Good thoughts and prayers for your father-in-law.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

Both of which wouldn't address the FPS problem being discussed in regards to the Portal "Legacy Mode" section of the video, as the right pad was being used for WASD.

It does address the Civ mouse center and then repositioning which what was mentioned in the post I was directly responding to...

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Do you like The Walking Dead?

Get "The Wolf Among Us". In some ways it's even better than TWD, especially in the way it looks. The screenshots can look a bit aliased but it runs and looks super smooth in-game.

It's also well-written, has some great voice acting and lets you become a big wolf and throw people out windows and rip their arms off. Basically you can play as a well-spoken wookie, or a nicer guy. I also didn't have any issues with getting my controller working.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Not to dredge up the DX:HR boss conversation again, but it's worth mentioning this flaw is multifaceted. Spoilered for minor plot details.
    Apart from being caged arena fights, the chief problem is that the bosses were barely characters. They have backstories and personalities, but they're only fleshed out in supplemental material; for instance, players have no idea why Federova, the second boss, doesn't speak, beyond Eliza mentioning some vague past trauma. You saw the Tyrants briefly during the intro and in select cutscenes, but had no significant interaction with them prior to each fight. Hell, they barely talk to each other. When Jensen finally encounters Namir, who nearly killed him in the prologue, there's no real acknowledgment that they've met before.

In my opinion, this actually highlights why the original game holds up so well. Deus Ex had bosses, yes, but they felt more like normal inhabitants of the game world than specially designed enemies. You knew them well before you had to fight them, and you could evade them to a limited extent (or even fight them early, in the case of Navarre). Gunther has a reasonable character arc as he hounds you throughout the game. And even in the one instance where you pretty much have to kill someone, the situation feels more organic: you're trying to escape from a familiar location - UNATCO HQ - where it's established that there's only one way out, and the boss, Navarre, knows to wait for you there.

In short, boss encounters felt less forced, and JC had a history with each of them. Sadly, DX:HR had neither going for it.

Some perspective is in order, of course; for me the boss fights were a very small portion of an otherwise great game that was sometimes an excellent game. It stumbled in other places, but I enjoyed it more than most games in recent memory. The Missing Link actually showed promise in this regard, creating a memorable, recurring villain who wasn't a specially designed bullet sponge. If the same team gets another crack at Deus Ex, I'll be first in line to check it out.

As for the Director's Cut? That pricing, I think, shows the same savvy that decided not to flip out over the early demo leak, instead using that opportunity to quietly solicit feedback. These people know what they're doing. Hell yeah I can swing five bucks for that.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • tacticalheadachetacticalheadache Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Holy shit.

Ok this is amazing.

tacticalheadache on
    Stolls wrote: »
    Not to dredge up the DX:HR boss conversation again, but it's worth mentioning this flaw is multifaceted. Spoilered for minor plot details.
    Apart from being caged arena fights, the chief problem is that the bosses were barely characters. They have backstories and personalities, but they're only fleshed out in supplemental material; for instance, players have no idea why Federova, the second boss, doesn't speak, beyond Eliza mentioning some vague past trauma. You saw the Tyrants briefly during the intro and in select cutscenes, but had no significant interaction with them prior to each fight. Hell, they barely talk to each other. When Jensen finally encounters Namir, who nearly killed him in the prologue, there's no real acknowledgment that they've met before.

In my opinion, this actually highlights why the original game holds up so well. Deus Ex had bosses, yes, but they felt more like normal inhabitants of the game world than specially designed enemies. You knew them well before you had to fight them, and you could evade them to a limited extent (or even fight them early, in the case of Navarre). Gunther has a reasonable character arc as he hounds you throughout the game. And even in the one instance where you pretty much have to kill someone, the situation feels more organic: you're trying to escape from a familiar location - UNATCO HQ - where it's established that there's only one way out, and the boss, Navarre, knows to wait for you there.

In short, boss encounters felt less forced, and JC had a history with each of them. Sadly, DX:HR had neither going for it.

Some perspective is in order, of course; for me the boss fights were a very small portion of an otherwise great game that was sometimes an excellent game. It stumbled in other places, but I enjoyed it more than most games in recent memory. The Missing Link actually showed promise in this regard, creating a memorable, recurring villain who wasn't a specially designed bullet sponge. If the same team gets another crack at Deus Ex, I'll be first in line to check it out.

As for the Director's Cut? That pricing, I think, shows the same savvy that decided not to flip out over the early demo leak, instead using that opportunity to quietly solicit feedback. These people know what they're doing. Hell yeah I can swing five bucks for that.

"I didn't ask for this tacked-on combat sequence..."

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Holy cow!

6LauB3s.jpg

Thank you so much, @shdwcaster! This game looks awesome and probably scarier than I'm capable of playing. Hopefully I'll make it further than I have with Amnesia in the past two years (i.e. the front door.) I guess being armed goes a long way. ;)

This team has a great pedigree and I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks again -- I really appreciate it.

EDIT: And an XCOM booster? My Steam cup runneth over. :)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    Do you like The Walking Dead?

Get "The Wolf Among Us". In some ways it's even better than TWD, especially in the way it looks. The screenshots can look a bit aliased but it runs and looks super smooth in-game.

It's also well-written, has some great voice acting and lets you become a big wolf and throw people out windows and rip their arms off. Basically you can play as a well-spoken wookie, or a nicer guy. I also didn't have any issues with getting my controller working.

Damn you, @Vegeta_666. Damn you to HELL. My wife would watch me play this like it was her favorite TV show.

camo_sig2.png
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    I cleaned the entire temple and collected the $2 million.

This is the first steam game since Human Revolution where I got all the achievements.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    The Stanley Parable demo was lovely. Is the game a remake of the mod or a totally new thing? I mean, is there a point in playing both, or should I just wait for the new, shiny one?

steam_sig.png
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Alright, I have the house to myself this weekend, and it's October, plus I've been avoiding it for the past 2 years, but I'm jumping into Amnesia now. It's a shame my family won't get to see me crying like a little girl enjoying this game and all it has to offer, but that's just how it has to be.

Pray for Idx86.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • LadyDustBunnyLadyDustBunny Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Alright, I have the house to myself this weekend, and it's October, plus I've been avoiding it for the past 2 years, but I'm jumping into Amnesia now. It's a shame my family won't get to see me crying like a little girl enjoying this game and all it has to offer, but that's just how it has to be.

Pray for Idx86.

Oh man, good luck. I love watching people play that for the first time. I've never played it b/c I'm waaaay too chicken. I actually don't try to play any scary games since my attempt like 10 years ago at Silent Hill 2...haha

In other news, sorry, forum, that I've been MIA for a couple of months here! Lots of life changes (all good ones!) and now I'm trying to play semi-catch-up on this forum. :)

steam_sig.png

Origin: DustBunny777
    3DS: 2836-0103-2102
    M1GZYUT.jpg
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    FFFFFUUUUUUU I bought DMC yesterday. Rookie mistake, I know.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    Just got 1,000,000 points in Duke Nukem pinball void0-23.gif

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    FFFFFUUUUUUU I bought DMC yesterday. Rookie mistake, I know.

I was going to get it with my AMD card but I guess they ran out of keys. With that in mind, this always happens when someone buys a game, so thanks

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
This discussion has been closed.