As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    So the Wolf Among Us decided to either go WAAAAAAAAAAY away from the original intention (being a prequel to Fables and meant to be canon) or it's severely weird and I cannot imagine how they'd try to fit it back in when it finishes.

Either way, good episode, couple of real gut punchers. Really interesting world to explore. Can't wait for episode 2.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So, would anyone find it crass were I to ask for an invite to the group?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/polaritie/

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    So Newegg's having a deal on certain 2K games when bought with a Domino's gift card. I'm not sure Borderlands 2 is a great deal (especially since it's not GOTY), but the others (Bioshock Infinite, X-Com EU, Civ V Brave New World, and The Bureau) seem to be a pretty good discount, as long as you don't mind Domino's. All of them activate on Steam, as far as I can tell.

http://promotions.newegg.com/Gaming/13-4802/index.html

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Just finished Episode 1 of The Wolf Among Us. And all i can say, really, is holy shit. And I apparently like to make the minority of decisions.

End Episode Spoilers/Question:
    At the end of the episode when you fight that asshole of a boogie or whatever he is I saw the option and in the limited time I had I ended up tearing off the guys arm. I kind of felt bad about it afterwards but you know wolflust or what have you. What happens if you do not tear his arm off? He just lay there crying still because that was kind of... well sad.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    So the Wolf Among Us decided to either go WAAAAAAAAAAY away from the original intention (being a prequel to Fables and meant to be canon) or it's severely weird and I cannot imagine how they'd try to fit it back in when it finishes.

Either way, good episode, couple of real gut punchers. Really interesting world to explore. Can't wait for episode 2.
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So, would anyone find it crass were I to ask for an invite to the group?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/polaritie/
    So Newegg's having a deal on certain 2K games when bought with a Domino's gift card. I'm not sure Borderlands 2 is a great deal (especially since it's not GOTY), but the others (Bioshock Infinite, X-Com EU, Civ V Brave New World, and The Bureau) seem to be a pretty good discount, as long as you don't mind Domino's. All of them activate on Steam, as far as I can tell.

http://promotions.newegg.com/Gaming/13-4802/index.html
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Just finished Episode 1 of The Wolf Among Us. And all i can say, really, is holy shit. And I apparently like to make the minority of decisions.

C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

Sorry, I had to.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Normally I use steamgamesales.com to check for new steam sales, but right now it's only listing greenmangaming stuff for me.

Is there another site I can use?

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Some coupons for whoever wants them:

75% off revenge of the titans
    50% off Duke Nukem 3D : megaton edition
    75% off fairie solitaire
    50% off Eversion

• Options
    tacticalheadachetacticalheadache Registered User regular
    Corsini wrote: »
    Normally I use steamgamesales.com to check for new steam sales, but right now it's only listing greenmangaming stuff for me.

www.isthereanydeal.com

Try this.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    Do you like The Walking Dead?

Get "The Wolf Among Us". In some ways it's even better than TWD, especially in the way it looks. The screenshots can look a bit aliased but it runs and looks super smooth in-game.

It's also well-written, has some great voice acting and lets you become a big wolf and throw people out windows and rip their arms off. Basically you can play as a well-spoken wookie, or a nicer guy. I also didn't have any issues with getting my controller working.

Damn you, @Vegeta_666. Damn you to HELL. My wife would watch me play this like it was her favorite TV show.

It is a very very good game. It could probably be my personal GOTY like The Walking Dead was if it keeps up this quality.
    Corpekata wrote: »

Big The Wolf Among Us spoilers!
    no seriously spoilers
    The last achievement for the last episode is "Happily Ever After" so I'm thinking either the Snow White thing is reversed/remedied somewhere along the way, or it was a big lie and this isn't canon at all, allowing them to make further seasons that enter a alternate timeline scenario

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Corsini wrote: »

www.isthereanydeal.com

Try this.

That is perfect. Thanks.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Time for a winner!
    Luchaire wrote: »
    Not enough of you savages are rushing out to buy Salvation Prophecy. So screw you. I bought a copy for you.

Well, one of you anyway.

Which one, though?

Hell if I know.

Time for a short and dirty CONTEST! I'm not generally a fan of short and dirty, but hey, let's try it anyway. ;)

Want to win? Here's whatcha gotta do. Head on over to the official website. I'll even link you. Here. See? http://www.salvationprophecy.com

Peruse, prowl, and perspicate over the website (yes, I made that word up). Answer me these 5 questions in a PM:

1. What's the highest rank your character can rise to if you play the Drone Unity faction?
    2. What is the "Zaptastic" mission badge awarded for?
    3. Who gets the "Ghost" skill and what does it do?
    4. What happened in AD 2503?
    5. Which faction will you choose... and why?
    (edit: hint: all answers can be found in the "features" section)

Correct answers will get you an entry to a drawing to be held Friday night at around 8 pm EST... or just over 48 hours from now. Winner of that drawing gets to play an amazing game.

Disclaimer: Entries limited to active forum members. Please include link to Steam profile if we are not Steam friends already. Batteries not included.

[/quote]

The entrants (and chosen factions):

1. @squall99x (Free Nations)
    2. @RoyceSraphim (Wyr)
    3. @Excision (Drone Unity)
    4. @cardboard delusions (Salvation)
    5. @HeirTransparent (Free Nations)
    6. @LostNinja (Salvation)
    7. @DaringDirk (Salvation)
    8. @Ashe (Wyr)

Happy to see three people chose the correct faction. Because Salvation. It's in the damn name. :P

Anyway, the winner is..

Geth roll 1d8

1d8 1 [1d8=1]

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    I just "finished" Proteus. I'd held off on this one for a while, because I liked the concept but wasn't too sure about the graphics. It ended up being quite an enjoyable experience though.
    ...Except for when I was following one of those sparkly "frogs" for a while and I accidentally chased it into the ocean. I spent some time trying in vain to chase it back out. :( However, watching the meteor shower, seeing all of the animals in summer, and the ending in the clouds were really something. Wow. I'm curious about the old cabin and towers and statues, too.

I can see myself returning to this one when I want something low-key and relaxing.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    And that's that. @squall99x - please link your steam profile or send me a friend request on Steam (see sig). And I hope you'll take this as an opportunity to stick around and chat with us a bit more... ;)

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Hey, I have enough in my Steam wallet to buy either DMC or one/both of the Bionic Commandos. I've never really played a game from either franchise before, so it's a tossup.

Thoughts?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Berylline wrote: »
    I just "finished" Proteus. I'd held off on this one for a while, because I liked the concept but wasn't too sure about the graphics. It ended up being quite an enjoyable experience though.
    ...Except for when I was following one of those sparkly "frogs" for a while and I accidentally chased it into the ocean. I spent some time trying in vain to chase it back out. :( However, watching the meteor shower, seeing all of the animals in summer, and the ending in the clouds were really something. Wow. I'm curious about the old cabin and towers and statues, too.

I can see myself returning to this one when I want something low-key and relaxing.

It's a great game to return to when you just want to relax and enjoy the sights and sounds. Absolutely a great game

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Just finished the first episode of The Wolf Among Us in one sitting. I think Telltale has done it again. It seems much deeper than TWD storywise, it's brutal and mature, the art style is perfect and makes you feel like you're inside of a comic book, the music is subtle but fits nicely with the rest of the game and the gameplay does its job well. It's probably a bit early to say this but I think I will end up liking TWAU a lot more than TWD, can't wait for the next episodes. Thanks again @Corpekata!

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking about adding a Drake category to my Steams. Do we have a list of the games he officially endorses?

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

End Episode Spoilers/Question:
    At the end of the episode when you fight that asshole of a boogie or whatever he is I saw the option and in the limited time I had I ended up tearing off the guys arm. I kind of felt bad about it afterwards but you know wolflust or what have you. What happens if you do not tear his arm off? He just lay there crying still because that was kind of... well sad.
    I didn't do it and he just sat there crying also. And I missed the last Book of Fables entry because of it. I wonder if replaying chapters will overwrite your previous choices in that save.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm thinking about adding a Drake category to my Steams. Do we have a list of the games he officially endorses?

Here you go:

Full list - http://steamcommunity.com/id/cadillacfury/games?tab=all
    Abridged version - http://steamcommunity.com/id/cadillacfury/recommended/

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »

Here you go:

Full list - http://steamcommunity.com/id/cadillacfury/games?tab=all
    Abridged version - http://steamcommunity.com/id/cadillacfury/recommended/

Hah, I suppose that is the most direct route.

Oh, look what else I found.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I won! Thank you to @Jragghen for your Steamgifts giveaway of Pressure!

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    LadyDustBunnyLadyDustBunny Registered User regular
    For someone who has not read the Fables series, is The Wolf Among Us good? I'm seeing that y'all like it, but I'm wondering if I'll just miss the point or not be able to get into it if I haven't read the graphic novels.

steam_sig.png

Origin: DustBunny777
    3DS: 2836-0103-2102
    M1GZYUT.jpg
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    For someone who has not read the Fables series, is The Wolf Among Us good? I'm seeing that y'all like it, but I'm wondering if I'll just miss the point or not be able to get into it if I haven't read the graphic novels.

I've read some of the comic but not played the game yet. I saw that both Eurogamer and Joystiq are saying that the comic isn't necessary to appreciate the game. The game is set 20 years before the events of the first graphic novel, so there's no continuity to worry about.

It was the same way with The Walking Dead game. Reading the comics could enhance your appreciation of the game, but it's in no way required. They stand on their own quite well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Absolutely. I only learned about the comic books shortly before the game came out and found the premise very interesting.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    krackqkrackq Registered User regular
    Time to start the weekend off with something random:

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oops.. trying this again. Something mindless for the weekend:

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Time to start the weekend off with something random:

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oops.. trying this again. Something mindless for the weekend:

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    You have most assuredly started that shit up, @krackq.

In other news, no one told me FF7 requires you to create an account and log in to play it. WTF? I'd really, honestly rather pirate it. :P

(I am not going to pirate it. But they get the better user experience AGAIN.)

• Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    World of Goo is fun and you should play it. It's 90% off right now, but if you still don't want to buy it, see below.

Secret Code for World of Goo:
    Loading...?

PM me the code and add me on Steam and I'll send the game your way (possibly tomorrow, unless you are very fast).

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Actually, will DMC be cheaper/as cheap during the sales we're bound to have later this year? 12.50 is still kinda high-ish for a game I might not get around to playing right away.

Bionic Commando is undoubtedly as low as it will go though.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

In other news, no one told me FF7 requires you to create an account and log in to play it. WTF? I'd really, honestly rather pirate it. :P

Wait what? For FF7?
    As in: you have to be online to play?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    It was the same way with The Walking Dead game. Reading the comics could enhance your appreciation of the game, but it's in no way required. They stand on their own quite well.

And in the case of the Walking Dead, stood much higher than any other writing in that franchise.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Just finished The Wolf Among Us. On one hand I want to play it again to see how things could play out and unlock the last Fables entry (because they're actually well put-together and interesting), but I like the idea of going in blind and making the decisions that come to me and taking that experience forward.

And as much as I liked TWD I think this might be better. Visuals aside it's a completely different game. The combat is better (though still QTE so if that's a turn-off for you, you've been warned), the story feels like the choices matter more, and the main character lends himself more to actually playing a role. Lee was a blank slate for the player, and Bigby is definitely not.

Choices I made (though one I didn't realize was a choice):
    Gave Faith the money
    Suspected the Woodsman
    Chose to go to Lawrence before Toad
    Let Lawrence commit suicide (this is the one I didn't realize was a choice)
    Arrested Tweedle Dee

It certainly hit the ground running, and I really dig that I'm role-playing the detective in a murder mystery. Now to sit on my impressions before pulling out my big-boy words and writing a review tomorrow morning. Oh, it plays great on a 360 pad. I can't put my finger on what exactly is changed from TWD, but the movements feel more natural here.

EDIT: How does this not have cards? These are cards I want and would probably buy the rest of the set for.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Also, I just saw that there's DLC coming for the Bureau. Much as I enjoyed the combat I can't honestly believe the game sold well enough to warrant add-on content. I'll buy it because I've got $5 to control DaSilva and fuck up some aliens, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only PC purchase they get.

EDIT: Never mind. Went looking for a link and it's 360-only. Probably not forever because that'd be weird, but for now I can't buy it.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/02/the-bureau-xcom-declassified-360-exclusive-dlc-launches-next-we/

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Also, I just saw that there's DLC coming for the Bureau. Much as I enjoyed the combat I can't honestly believe the game sold well enough to warrant add-on content. I'll buy it because I've got $5 to control DaSilva and fuck up some aliens, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only PC purchase they get.

EDIT: Never mind. Went looking for a link and it's 360-only. Probably not forever because that'd be weird, but for now I can't buy it.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/02/the-bureau-xcom-declassified-360-exclusive-dlc-launches-next-we/

Did you like it? The XCOM thread seems to hate it. I'll probably end up getting it once it gets cheap enough (sub-$20).

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    jclast wrote: »

Did you like it? The XCOM thread seems to hate it. I'll probably end up getting it once it gets cheap enough (sub-$20).

The story is utter nonsense, but I like Mass Effect combat and killing aliens. The powers are fun, and the combat encounters are fun to figure out. There's a decent amount of tactics required at higher difficulties, too. It's hard to get past "that's not what a muton looks like!" and "how are three unarmored guys killing the shit out of 50 aliens per mission?" but once you do I was grinning like an idiot every time I mind-controlled a guy into killing his buddy that I'd lifted up while my friendly drone and silicoid ran interference on another group.

And those are just the main's powers. You've got snipers, supports, and commandos who have powers that make sense for those classes as well, and you take 2 with you per mission. I rolled mostly with a sniper and a commanda (I think) for things like cloak (handy when I went down to cloak the sniper on his way to revive me) and the commando could set up rocket turrets (because why not?) and throw mines a disturbingly far distance.

The aesthetic is great as well, but I not-so-secretly wish that men still wore awesome suits to work and it was okay to call somebody a dumbass when they screw up. Just don't pay attention to the mouth movements on the characters - those are atrocious. And Faulke always looks like he has a boner thanks to the pattern of his pants which started out disturbing and ended up hysterical. I only had one mission but out on me, but the game's pretty good about checkpoints so I only lost about 10 minutes of playtime.

$20 seems like a good price for it to me.

Oh, and if you like pistols in shooters (they're my favorite) then The Bureau doesn't disappoint. The only thing wrong with the heavy plasma pistol is that it eventually runs out of ammo.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    symbolsor wrote: »
    My first paycheck came through at my new job, here's to celebration!

signature.png

All done, congrats to @Xeddicus for winning! <3

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I'm not thrilled with repeatedly swiping your finger across the trackpad to turn around.

Yeah, using a tiny trackpad is not an ideal replacement for me. Just seeing a few seconds of swiping it to center and then repositioning to swipe over again to cross the screen and hit the buttons on Civ was enough to annoy me. For a game like that, at least, maybe it has a relative setting so it behaves like a stick if you hold a toggle down.

If the trackpads are anywhere near as good as they say, the sensitivity was turned way down in that demo. I played Civ and Mass Effect with a thumb trackball at a far higher sensitivity without precision issues.

I dunno; maybe that's an apples to oranges comparison. But thumbs are pretty precise; I don't think the sensitivity was that low due to a physical limitation of the human playing.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »

Wait what? For FF7?
    As in: you have to be online to play?
    Nope.
    You don't need to login to play, it is only required if you want to use the cloud saving or built in cheats (instant max level characters and max money)

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
This discussion has been closed.