As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Quick Question about the PS3 and BC

CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
Recently I've been debating buying a PS3 - since I missed the PS2 (and PS1, come to that) backwards compatibility is a pretty big selling factor for me.

However, I know the PS3 achieves backwards compatibility through software emulation, which I've learnt from my 360 can be a bit spotty.

On the whole, how good do the games run? And how large a portion actually work?

sig.gif
Cowbomb on

• powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The older 60gig PS3's have hardware emulation which is pretty much 99% (Still some issues with Guitar Hero controllers I think) but the newer ones to cut costs have software emulation.

powersurge on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Are you in the UK?

North American 60gb PS3's have near perfect hardware emulation. There are some games with issues, but most are fine. IIRC the new 80gb PS3s are all software emulation, and all European PS3s use software emulation.

LewieP on
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Are you in the UK?

North American 60gb PS3's have near perfect hardware emulation. There are some games with issues, but most are fine. IIRC the new 80gb PS3s are all software emulation, and all European PS3s use software emulation.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I'm a UKer.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, my launch 60gb unit plays everything just fine, but I'm from the US so...

I've heard of a few problems, especially regarding games that don't use the standard Dualshock controller. But out of the thousands of games available you'll have very little trouble finding games that work just fine.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2007
    Check this link out -

http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc

Although I am lead to believe that a firmware update increased compatibility, and that list is yet to be updated, so some titles (MGS3?) work despite this list saying they don't.

LewieP on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Check this link out -

Although I am lead to believe that a firmware update increased compatibility, and that list is yet to be updated, so some titles (MGS3?) work despite this list saying they don't.

...and some games on the list are really glitchy and crash-prone. But many of them work perfectly. It's a crapshoot.

I'd suggest keeping your PS2 just in case.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited September 2007
    Also, best deal around atm, console delivered for £329.99, you should be able to beat any of the £425 bundles with the difference.

http://savygamer.blogspot.com/2007/09/ps3-console-32999.html
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Check this link out -

...and some games on the list are really glitchy and crash-prone. But many of them work perfectly. It's a crapshoot.

is it that bad? the thing that irks me most about it is that there is no search, it would take forever to find a game who's second letter is "u", for example.

LewieP on
  • UnicronUnicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd say buy a PS3, if you run in to any problems playing PS2/PS1 games get a PS2 (PS1 games on a PS2 is hardware emulation IIRC). Or maybe if you had specific PS2 games you wanted to play you could ask here or somewhere else.

Slightly OT but does the PS3 play PS1 games (think it does just not sure) and do you need a PS1 memory card to play them or is it all on the hard drive?

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Edit: nvm, I somehow missed LewieP's post.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Also, best deal around atm, console delivered for £329.99, you should be able to beat any of the £425 bundles with the difference.

http://savygamer.blogspot.com/2007/09/ps3-console-32999.html
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Check this link out -

is it that bad? the thing that irks me most about it is that there is no search, it would take forever to find a game who's second letter is "u", for example.

I really don't think there's been a real listing of how well the software BC works. I remember reading a few reports that some PS2 games on the list don't really play well... but is that for just a few games on the list, or a lot? I don't think anyone really knows.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you're looking to play PS2 games, buy a PS2 as opposed to a PS3. Especially as a UK bloke, the PS3 won't run all the PS2 software correctly, and if you're just looking to catch up you might as well pay the much lower amount of money for the PS2, unless there's a heap of PS3 software you want as well.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    RE: Game saves

The PS3 has a memory card utility that stores data on the HDD. If you still have PS1/2 memory cards lying around, you can get a USB adapter for ~$15 and load them in. Once they're on the HDD you can create/delete/copy to your heart's content. The best part? Set up a different card for every game, because you can switch which card is in the virtual slot via the PS button in-game.

Hooray for my GF never deleting a FF save again!

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    If you're looking to play PS2 games, buy a PS2 as opposed to a PS3. Especially as a UK bloke, the PS3 won't run all the PS2 software correctly, and if you're just looking to catch up you might as well pay the much lower amount of money for the PS2, unless there's a heap of PS3 software you want as well.

I probably will buy a cheap PS2 then - that was my original plan, but figured that if the PS3 was really good with it's compatibility then it might be an idea to splash out and buy one of those instead.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm going to have to concur on just picking up a nice cheap PSTwo. If you can't get your mitts on a 60gb with the EE chip then it's really hard to justify buying a PS3 for any reason right now. With the PS2 you'll still have a *gigantic* game library, and nearly perfect PSX BC.

Scosglen on