As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Killzone] Shadow Falls in 3 days.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Been playing Killzone Mercenary finally. Really enjoying it so far, but I don't understand why I'm a tiny person.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    I'm in for whatever friends list shenanigans come down when this gets released.

PSN ID is CoJoe.

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    So holy shit, this story trailer is *really* good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzyibMjn7YE

I always thought Killzone was a great setting and exciting shooting mixed with really subpar story and dialogue. Seems like that may finally change here.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    The only thing I don't like are the melee kill animations in the recent videos.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    So holy shit, this story trailer is *really* good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzyibMjn7YE

I always thought Killzone was a great setting and exciting shooting mixed with really subpar story and dialogue. Seems like that may finally change here.

I know right? Can't believe I had completely discounted this game, but the lack of Watch Dogs had forced me to reconsider my options, switched to the KZ bundle and seeing this has made me glad I have. Looks bloody fantastic.

"Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    It seems like they've gone to a lot of trouble to both scale back the conflict from just world war whatever in space to, "these are two factions with a history of hatred and legit reasons for fighting."

I wish there was an opportunity to explore more of this new Vekta in an RPG or adventure setting. The Cold War style wall lends itself to all kinds of stories.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    I'm building up my hype for Killzone: Shadow Fall. This is my first game in the series and the most I know about it is that there's a guy with a mask who shoots guns? Is there anything in particular that I should know before I start it in a couple weeks?

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    bss wrote: »
    I'm building up my hype for Killzone: Shadow Fall. This is my first game in the series and the most I know about it is that there's a guy with a mask who shoots guns? Is there anything in particular that I should know before I start it in a couple weeks?

Fuck Rico.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am actually really excited about this game and I haven't been that interested in the previous KZ games. Minding, my excitement will rapidly dissipate if they do the usual "Helghast are baby eating monsters" thing and not actually go into some interesting nuances of the conflict suggested by the trailer.

Basically it's time to shoot some ISA (who are total dicks) in the face.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    You can add me to the PSN ID list for Shadow Fall. This and AC4 are my PS4 launch titles.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuG0jiYkk9s

I'm gonna be late to the PS4 party. Gonna wait until next year for a few new releases. Building a PC is tempting considering the price it's gonna have here in Mexico.

EDIT: BTW, NeoGAF mentioned that developer put up a super high quality video of MP in the official site.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    So I bought Killzone 3 for $12 today.

I really hope I don't regret this.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

You won't. It's good! I really liked it. Colorful and interesting and technically impressive in a different way than KZ:SF looks to be.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    bss wrote: »

Fuck Rico.

In Killzone 3, at least they acknowledge everyone hates him.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I hated Rico in KZ3, but that's because he wouldn't fucking stay out of my goddamn way...

Anyway, anyone know what this "Shadow Pack" preorder bonus for Shadow Fall is? MP stuff?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    So freaking pumped for this game.

It's my "main" game and AC4 is after it's done.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I am actually really excited about this game and I haven't been that interested in the previous KZ games. Minding, my excitement will rapidly dissipate if they do the usual "Helghast are baby eating monsters" thing and not actually go into some interesting nuances of the conflict suggested by the trailer.

Basically it's time to shoot some ISA (who are total dicks) in the face.

The ISA are even dicks to their own soldiers. You know those insanely stupid drop vehicles Sev and his crew ride in? The uncovered ones that only exist to show soldiers getting massacred? Yeah, those are repurposed cargo elevators with guns bolted to them.

Basically, Earth and the Helghast have 95% of the fancy cool military gear. The ISA makes due with mass produced garbage which is why they don't look any more advanced than modern NATO soldiers.

Earth is so strong militarily they destroyed the entire Helghan navy during the first Extrasolar war without losing a single ship.

War.jpg

It's why the Helghast resort to trying to nuke Earth in Killzone 3, they couldn't win any other way.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

You won't. It's good! I really liked it. Colorful and interesting and technically impressive in a different way than KZ:SF looks to be.

KZ3 was superior to KZ2 in several ways (better visuals, better gunplay, cooler weapons), but it fell short in a few key areas which made it a lesser game. Still fun on the whole, but it didn't quite live up to its promise.

The ending especially, and also the continued existence of Rico really soured the single player experience. They screwed up the MP experience by creating overall smaller maps with too many chokepoints, and removing spawn grenades, which killed much of KZ MP's dynamism.

For 12 dollars, it's worth it just as for the backstory, and to see how far the series has come (hopefully) in Shadow Fall.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Well, the ending was fine because they needed some way to end the war with the ISA completely routed. An accidental genocide proved to be a good thing for series since the set up of Shadowfall is pretty interesting. Now the Helghast are REALLY pissed and they have a damn good reason for it.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    How awesome is this.

So awesome.

• Options
    Oh lawd, that high speed strafing run over that HUGE battlefield = awesome.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I cant watch these videos... This game is sitting right infront of me, literally staring at me. These videos are making the wait painful!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

1:23 or so in the video, I just screamed out "IS ANYONE THIRSTY!??! OOHHHH YEEEAAHHHH!!!!!!".

Yes, I am a terrible person, why did you ask?

• Options
    fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    KZ3 is just bad. Pretty, but bad. Much of the SP campaign is literally on rails, with the parts that aren't even more scripted and linear than a COD game. And they completely ruined the multiplayer.

The game showed technical prowess but also a crippling lack of vision or direction. For me, the worst thing was the removal of custom games to try to force more COD-style leveling down our throats.

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • Options
    Hmmm, I shall see for myself soon.

Shadowfall does seem to look pretty damn awesome.

• Options
    Hmmm, I shall see for myself soon.

Shadowfall does seem to look pretty damn awesome.
    If nothing else it's short. I didn't hate it as much as everyone else though.

• Options
    I only paid $12 for it, so I am not going to be that worried in the end :P

• Options
    I only paid $12 for it, so I am not going to be that worried in the end :P

I think it's a good setup for Shadow Fall, if nothing else. Explains why things are the way they are.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    KZ3 is just bad. Pretty, but bad. Much of the SP campaign is literally on rails, with the parts that aren't even more scripted and linear than a COD game. And they completely ruined the multiplayer.

The game showed technical prowess but also a crippling lack of vision or direction. For me, the worst thing was the removal of custom games to try to force more COD-style leveling down our throats.

Considering your post history, I'm fairly comfortable ignoring this. It really does read like a CoD fan venting.

To be honest, I expect more from the PA community :/

• Options
    bloatedhippobloatedhippo Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

bloatedhippo on
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I read that a couple guys from KZ2 who weren't around for KZ3 are back for this one, in particular one of the lead designers of KZ2's multiplayer. So I am cautiously optimistic about this one.
    -Loki- wrote: »

Considering your post history, I'm fairly comfortable ignoring this. It really does read like a CoD fan venting.

To be honest, I expect more from the PA community :/
    Because off-topic personal attacks really contribute to the discussion.

fearsomepirate on
  • Options
    Killzone 3, by any stretch, is a very competent shooter. It may fall short in story, but I've heard very few people call the game flat out, "bad".

• Options
    I've heard lots of people call it bad, including pretty much everyone I used to play KZ2 with. We all tried to convince ourselves to like it for a few weeks, but eventually, we had to admit it just wasn't good.

The best I can say about it is that Bilgarsk Boulevard was as good as a KZ2 map.

• Options
    Apparently the guy you play as in Shadow Fall is a short little midget-y guy again. Seriously, what is up with this series and making your character exceedingly short? It's kind of weird.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    I think it's to make the crosshair line up with the gun without creating headglitching.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Giant Bomb got a QL on Killzone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzw-eTBy4PQ

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I know it's a running joke, but I cannot believe how bad Brad is at games. Jesus, I can't even watch that quicklook.

Yes, let's run around a wide open area with snipers and a heavy active without trying to flank!

manwiththemachinegun on