As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIP PAX East 14] PAX Aus Registration is open, non int'l 3 Day passes already sold out

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
edited April 2014 in Social Entropy++
heATPzV.png

PAX East is the (superior) version of the (now) tri-annual gaming convention run by the dudes who provide this very forum in which you are posting. Its a hoe-down of a hoot nanny! And its coming to you LIVE from the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center in Boston, MA this April! (I think Aprill 11-13 to be exact).

PAX has everything you could ever want in a weekend-long party. There's games (and with the next generation around the corner, a chance to perhaps test the final builds of some new shit, also there's PC games and tabletop), music, and cool folks of all kinds. Especially folks you know and post with.

Here are the questions I asked in last year's OP with updated answers:

What do I need?
You should book a travel ticket of your choice (planes, trains, & automobiles) as soon as you can because that shit gets expensive as you get closer and for a thing like this you can end up screwed with dates/times you want being sold out. You'll also want to book a hotel room, but that is something you should wait and book via PAX's system because they get some pretty nice rates.

Lastly, if you want to visit the convention proper, you'll need a pass of some kind. Some folks will tell you its not completely necessary, especially if all you want to do is hang out, because a lot of the meet ups and stuff go on outside of the BCEC. But, for one, the picture has almost always been inside the convention center someplace (because its end of winter/start of spring in the Northeast and outside is usually pretty cold), and for two, tickets for PAX have been selling out like crazy the last few times, and if you do decide you want to do something in BCEC, you'll need one. So I for one say buy one.

SPECIAL NOTE: Some fabulous person in the PAX community of forums made a little spreadsheet that tells you when tickets went on sale for previous PAXes, when each style of pass sold out, etc. and you can peep that here. EDIT: Thanks be to @Skelevader for this data. Note that tickets went on sale for 2013 exactly a year ago today, but the previous year tickets didn't go on sale until November. Also notice that 3 day passes sold out last year in the following times: East 1 day, Australia 8 days, Prime 20 minutes.

So, yeah, get on that shit ASAP. If anyone can recommend a good way of collecting emails or twitter handles or some other communication method and then having a group sort of notify method if we notice that tickets are on sale, let me know.

Who is going?
Folks! Humans! People from all over the world attend PAX, but this will be the first PAX after PAX Australia so it will be interesting to see if that lessens some of the rush (it won't, probably).

How can I meet up with SE++ dude/ettes?
Keep an eye on this here thread (or the next one if we fill this one up) as most social things are set up here (whether that social networking stuff like GroupMe groups or actual outings like the Fancy Dinner).

All I want to know, in the immortal words of Jerry McGuire, is who's coming with me?

Definitely Going to this Shindig, bro
@Goose!
@WuShock
@Kwoaru
@minirhyder
@rhylith
@zerzhul
@urahonky
@abbynormal

Those who toy with fate by saying they "should," "probably will" or "will try to" be there
@Rorus Raz
@Mortal Sky
@Sassori
@the_fuzzy_penguin

EDIT: Uber (fuck your umlauts) is an app on your phone that helps you get a cab in most major American cities (probably elsewhere too). It even does fare splitting! Check it out: Google Play Link & App Store Link

Goose! on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Passes go on sale around early November.

Also, there's no four day shenanigans for East. That was sadly just a Prime thing.

I haven't missed an East yet, so I should be there.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Well, as the OP states, if you READ it, tickets went on sale last year on October 8th. Jerk.

But yeah, previous year was November 3rd. Its all in that spreadsheet.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Going.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    maybe this should be the first PAX i attend

nahhhh

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    oh hey pax east is a thing I think I would like to do again

but this time actually do panels and spend time in the main convention area instead of doing no panels, stopping at no booths, and mostly just playing magic/eating food

it would also be nice to actually interact with people from the forums instead of showing up for the picture then running away

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I would love to go. PAX East is great. Unfortunately I don't have a job at the moment so I can't guarantee that I'll be there in 2014 yet :/

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    So going.
    Hopefully I don't miss the ticket sales.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    PAX East tickets don't sell out a fraction as fast as Prime.

• Options
    Last year the three day pass sold out in a day though...
    I wouldn't put it beyond myself to miss it by a day.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Oh, that reminds me, time for my annual "twitter is the dumbest way to announce this crap" rant.

• Options
    Do it! Do it! Do it!

I don't check my Twitter enough to give me a nice warning.
    I'd probably check it the day after once the tickets are gone.
    Womp womp.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    yay pax east yay

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    godmode wrote: »
    They sold out in like a week last year.

Not nearly as fast, but they sell out quicker each year.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    They sold out in like a week last year.

Not nearly as fast, but they sell out quicker each year.

3 days were gone in a day I believe.

Seriously though, a heads-up from the PA crew would be cool, or at least a 3 day window.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I am excited for this thing.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Well, if they give people an exact time for when tickets go on sale, that just means they'll sell out even faster.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    They should just hide tickets in chocolate bars

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I'm going to try to make PAX East this year. It should line up with a convenient weekend to do so.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    This year it's the weekend after my spring break, bastards, but I'll hopefully manage to score two passes

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I will never willingly miss another pax again.

Also birthday pax woo!

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am definitely going to this shindig. Also, Rorus, passes "usually" going on sale in November is not really true. They've only gone on sale in November once (see the spreadsheet linked in the OP).

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I want to go, but I may not know if I can pay fir the flight/room until after the tickets go on sale. Anyone know if it's possible to cancel/get a refund?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm definitely going to be there. First time too.

Taking Amtrak from Toledo, OH straight to Boston.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I want to go, but I may not know if I can pay fir the flight/room until after the tickets go on sale. Anyone know if it's possible to cancel/get a refund?
    The base policy is no refund on tickets. You can, however, cancel hotel rooms through the pax hotel provider, OnPeak, up until about a month prior to PAX.

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Going + 1 .... Will be my first and whether it is a three day pass or a combo of single days I am going regardless

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    Definitely going. Oh so going. Going like a boss.

sig.php?id=222
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I'm probably in.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Every time I see this thread Pop up I get nearvous

• Options
    the_fuzzy_penguinthe_fuzzy_penguin OhioRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Also birthday pax woo!
    Woo! It is for me, too. It's like Penny Arcade (and Boston) are throwing me (us?) a giant birthday party!
    urahonky wrote: »

This is my second year going via train (Cleveland Station) and this year my group is up to 8 - best way to go! It basically adds two days onto the convention. Just be sure to make your way back to the diner car to hang out with the cool people and play games on the way there and back.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I'm a probably not for this one, y'all, sorry :(

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Figure I'm going to be one of the older first time pax'ers there. And on the birthday note, my daughter will be coming and it will be her birthday too!

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

booooooooooooooooooooo

• Options
    Prime is almost always birthday PAX for me, so congrats to all of you birthday PAX East people :) harder to nail down since the dates move around so much. PAX is one hell of a birthday present.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    @Usagi I can't believe you've done this.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Sorry :(:(:(

But I'm looking at my expected work schedule for spring and have no idea how I'd take time off unless we hire another engineer between now and then

• Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Also birthday pax woo!
    Woo! It is for me, too. It's like Penny Arcade (and Boston) are throwing me (us?) a giant birthday party!
    urahonky wrote: »

This is my second year going via train (Cleveland Station) and this year my group is up to 8 - best way to go! It basically adds two days onto the convention. Just be sure to make your way back to the diner car to hang out with the cool people and play games on the way there and back.

This is the most exciting part. Haven't been on a train in YEARS, but knowing I'll be on a train with other fellow geeks makes me giddy.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    I will be there. No doubt

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja