As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokemon Thread: Sufficiently Spooky

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    re: Serena

it would be cool if things started off friendly and then soured over time

at least that might be something like real life

better yet would be is there were actually some kind of character arc or narrative

as it stands I just felt bad the last time I beat her when she was like "I like our battles but I'd like them more if I didn't lose every time"

still, it's pokemon and it's pretty fun anyway

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I built my solo Greninja for Special Attack because I knew he'd be Mr. Surf, so I didn't even take Water Shuriken.

Is it bad?

multi hit moves on pokemon not named cloyster generally are

seeing that was his signature move really made me sad

because he is so obviously meant to be a special attacker, what with learning Nasty Plot

too bad his hidden ability is apparently Protean, Skill Link Greninja would be rad

Spiky Shield is so cool I kind of want to go with Chespin as my starter, against my better judgement

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    re: Serena

it would be cool if things started off friendly and then soured over time

at least that might be something like real life

better yet would be is there were actually some kind of character arc or narrative

as it stands I just felt bad the last time I beat her when she was like "I like our battles but I'd like them more if I didn't lose every time"

still, it's pokemon and it's pretty fun anyway

As it stands, only the gen 2 rival goes through any real arc (and it's a pretty decent one, all things considered).

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    i traded shauna a zoroark for chespin

i felt like she needed something not-terrible for how bad she is at being a trainer

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    She starts to get a little obssessive later on

She makes you fight her before the 7th gym and then wants to rematch you as soon as you beat it (but gets interrupted by team flare)

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    i beat the elite four but where the hell is sycamore he wants to talk to me

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    So far sluggoo is kind of a disappointment

He barely scratches by against Pokemon several levels lower than him

Sure hope his stats explode when he becomes goodra

Doing some research that's exactly what happens

For those interested, these guys have base stat estimates for the new Pokemon. No move pools though

http://pokemondb.net

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    goodra owns

its movepool is great, mine has dragon pulse ice beam thunderbolt and muddy water

also the rivals need to just be total douchebags

i don't know why they stopped doing that

it is probably related to nintendo's philosophy that winning and losing doesn't matter so long as everyone has fun

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    yeah goodra steps up the game. can take special attacks like a champ.

also, fuck i am crawling around catching dittos trying to get oen with the right natures.

Fuck i degraded quickly.

also the rivals need to just be total douchebags

i don't know why they stopped doing that

it is probably related to nintendo's philosophy that winning and losing doesn't matter so long as everyone has fun
    Yeah but they had that lesson on the old games too, because the idea was that blue and silver lost BECAUSE they only cared about winning

I mean the bad guys in this game
    want to murder literally everyone on earth except for the young rich hipsters of pokefrance

So it's not like they're worried about stuff in Pokemon not being kid friendly enough

I really have no idea why they've done what they have with the rivals

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2013
    I wish the rival actually stepped it up a bit. Fifth gym and she still has like three pokemon.

Now, I am curious as to whether or not Nintendo felt Pokemon was piling on more shit with each generation that it might overwhelm young kids. I mean, the second you begin the proper game, you have a bottom screen with two mini game modes, full online functionality, and then the game itself with 18 damn types and all. It's a safer bet that a child is likely to be less bored in a game where their pikachu sweeps everything as opposed to in a game where they can't get past the first gym.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    what the fuck? i have to wait until december to transfer my pokemon from black?

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    be friends with me: the goodra king:

3310-4958-3098

goomyisall400.jpg

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    breeding dittos isn't a thing, right?

I seem to remember that not being possible.

ok sycamore was at the station not his lab

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    breeding dittos isn't a thing, right?

I seem to remember that not being possible.

It's not possible.

betman your safari is literally full of only sigilyphs

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*

That's a good safari.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    FINALLy entered route 5. I've wasted so many pokeballs so far trying to catch pokemon with decent natures. Maybe I shouldn't have had that haircut because I am pretty low on cash right now :P

Oh and how far into the game is the safari? And is it possible to catch the gen 6 starters with it?

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    maybe I don't get the safari but it seems like it's just full of shitty pokemon and none of them have dream abilities

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    SHIT I just realised my vivillion doesn't have compound eyes. Better train a butterfree. Oh that's going to be pleasant, what with caterpies being rare in X :/

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    are we going to do a se++ pokemon league, then

because i am already planning a dragon gym

want that poison seahorse

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I would be down to make a gym if you guys want to organize something. Not sure which gym yet but, I am flexible.

Anyone know if there is a reason to hold off on evolving pancham? Or should I do it as soon as levels permit?

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    wait

poison seahorse?

wait

wait

wait

ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17CjPbxdBeI

Beasteh on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    i am fucking pissed at the lumoise boutique not letting me in unless i'm stylish

that is a very opaque mechanic there, guys

Yeah

What you have to do is visit every single location in lumiose

Which is impossible until after the 5th gym

really? i thought you had to match clothing tags

well she does say something to the effect of "you're not stylish you should totally visit all of poke-paris so you better understand style"

which is how I knew to visit all of poke-paris and did so as soon as I got the northern half lit up

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013

Did you add my code @big red tie? Want to check those dragons.

Also what type am I in safari?

Goose! on
    I just beat the 6th gym (weird place) and I want to take a minute to re-mix my team

right now I have Greninja, Venusaur, Blaziken, Aurorus, Talonflame, Meowstic (mostly for cut)

Gonna go back and capture a bunch of pokemon I skipped so I can increase my trade pool, I want to change my team to: Froakie, Chespin, Fennekin, and...I'm not sure what else

I just want it to be a new pokemon and ideally 3 stage, and hoo-boy there are not a lot of new 3 stage pokemon

I guess I'll go with Fletchling, Honedge, and Goomy or Flabebe

2x39jD4.jpg
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I pretty much wonder trade any pokemon already have stored on other games, so this morning I caught an azurill (which is now a fairy type I guess) and got a dunsparce.

I'm not super committed to Pyroar so I've been looking at possible replacements, and for a moment I considered Slugma. I'm sorry buddy, you hold a nostalgic place in my heart, but unless Mega Magcargo is a thing I don't think you're going to make the cut.

edited October 2013
    also how did I end up with 6 pokemon on my team unable to learn false swipe

the brontosaurus i could understand, but at least 3 of my guys have hands and 2 of those definitely have claws

it makes catching pokemon a very tedious adventure because all of mine are stupid over-level

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    Quick Balls are super rad for that purpose. But yeah, I've kept False Swipe on Mawile and it is a load off my shoulders to just tank with leftovers and whittle their health down.

• KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    also how did I end up with 6 pokemon on my team unable to learn false swipe

the brontosaurus i could understand, but at least 3 of my guys have hands and 2 of those definitely have claws

it makes catching pokemon a very tedious adventure because all of mine are stupid over-level

What kind of pokemon are you trying to catch?

For the past few generations, all I do is walk around with someone that has Thunder Wave (or Nuzzle in this case) and start throwing ultra balls. I almost always catch within 2 or 3 throws. Even at full health. Note that this is all pre-E4 stuff.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Isi2lNU.jpg

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I wish theyd make fighting and ghost false swipes. Normal is worthless

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    hey serena

maybe you should be a better pokemon trainer instead of being sad and complaining all the time

• SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I am having so much trouble settling on a team.

Tyrunt is a keeper, and I just super trained a Slowpoke. I took a shine to Pancham, but his nature cuts his attack. Talonflame got me through two gyms, but he doesn't seem that special.

I think that might be a strength for these games, though. Instead of just sticking with something, I keep trying out new things.

I can definitely get a Glaceon in these games, right?

Skullo on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Man, the whole Serena thing is getting kind of dark. Post gym 6
    She's brushing off the rest of the gang to go train more and seems to be taking the loses to me harder every time. Also, didn't she say near the beginning of the game her parents pretty much left her alone to go be trainers?

Can we go back to the rivals being dicks please? Crushing some jumped up dick that keeps insulting me is cathartic. Watching someone get increasingly bitter over the course of the game, kinda not so much.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Is serena the same character as calem? (For those who play as girls?)

This discussion has been closed.