As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where [Jobs] Grow on Little Jobbies!

mullymully Registered User regular
edited October 2013 in Social Entropy++
Job thread!

Let us talk about all sorts of job related things.

How are your co-workers, if you are employed?

What skills do you have? How can you improve upon them?

Let's talk about resumes and cover letters.

Job postings and lay offs.

Any good links?! Post them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siAbiwPyccg

mully on

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular

• Options
    Watching this now, Dan. Thanks!

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Woah

woah

how'd you get that fancy schmancy green title thing there

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Also fuck crunch

but I guess crunch while getting paid hourly with overtime is nice in the end.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Well I was beaten, but at least I can say I was beaten by the best

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I used square brackets, and it picked it up, because Vanilla is awesome and it is the best forum software available in the internet market right now.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    THE

BEST

I thought I did use square brackets :? I'm a bad and also posting from my phone so

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Is this where Tef attempts to create a job opening through assassination?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    i think it's got a little table of "words to highlight if square bracketed" somewhere - so like, NFL would work and JOBS would work and FOOD would work, but [WATERBOTTLES] or [@ICYLIQUID] would not.

mully on
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    I am not hating my job right now.

I like the people I work with which is a lot more than I could say at my last job.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Unused OP topic

Post locations around DC where furloughed staff drink their budget beer

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    can't a man walk down the street without being offered a job.png

• Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    Today I get to try to convince my bosses that I deserve at least minimum wage as set by Finnish law when working more than 34 hours a week in IT.
    This isn't something one should have to do, ever.
    Needless to say if they ain't paying I ain't working.

Tonight I might get drunk.

• Options
    let us know how it goes, Burning. That blows.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Where I come from a "jobbie" is a poop

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Where I come from a "jobbie" is a poop

Billy Connolly taught me that.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    OP of the year

OPOTY

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    OP of the year

OPOTY

OPOTYAY

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I got a (minor) promotion to shift lead at work so.. yay? More a title change than anything else.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Doot doot. Pasting screen captures of excel spreadsheets into powerpoint.

Exciting stuff.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Question for the many wonderful/smart/attractive technical and engineering type people in the job thread; know a good OCR program that works well with camera images?

Got a problem with barcode stickers being dissolved off and am trying to work out an efficient and automation friendly way to scan an etched serial number instead.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    @msuitepyon

What about this?

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Boss: *yelling over the full volume music at 7:15am* "Is that Mars, Bringer of War?!"

Me: "Yep!"

"I'm not going to enjoy our one on one in an hour am I?"

"Nope!"

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Ok so. I have an interview this week. Recruiter "A" told me about Position "A" and I'm scheduled to interview Thursday at 3PM. Yesterday, Recruiter "B" (who works directly with "A") told me about Position "B" and asked if I was interested. I said "Yes, please!" So he said he'd call back, because they wanted to interview someone this week. So I wait. Yesterday afternoon, A calls me back and says, "Listen, [Some Lady] here only wants to send two or three candidates to interview for B. If you had to choose between A and B, which would you prefer?" I tell him that my qualifications are probably better suited for B, and that they're the same distance from my home so there really is no advantage to either besides I probably have a better shot at getting it. Then he tells me that this lady has her own candidates in mind, so it sounds like she's trying to elbow me out so she can submit her own people, which would be super fucked up and would force me to stop doing business with this recruiting agency. Hopefully I'll get good news today, but I was very firm about my interest in Position B as it does sound like it would be a better fit than A.

• Options
    They want me to sign a fucking nda before even discussing the pay.
    The nda doesn't apply to that.

I've already been working for them for a while without pay which was incredibly stupid and I realize that and NOW they want me to sign an NDA. To protect the customers, apparently.

This is not how you conduct business. I am not signing that until I get money for the work I already did, and I'm probably not going to get that money anyway.
    Just going to stop wasting my time with this. Would rather go back to the grocery store working as a cashier if getting paid is going to be like pulling teeth from my dick.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So I am applying to work as a teacher in Japan.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

I've already been working for them for a while without pay which was incredibly stupid and I realize that and NOW they want me to sign an NDA. To protect the customers, apparently.

This is not how you conduct business. I am not signing that until I get money for the work I already did, and I'm probably not going to get that money anyway.
    Just going to stop wasting my time with this. Would rather go back to the grocery store working as a cashier if getting paid is going to be like pulling teeth from my dick.

Whoa, what? Why are you working without pay and is there a signed contract somewhere that says "you work for us and we pay you"?

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    my job is fairly shit-ass

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Whoa, what? Why are you working without pay and is there a signed contract somewhere that says "you work for us and we pay you"?

Just going to say there was some confusion and leave it at that.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Apparently water is shut off for the whole office after a pipe damage an still a good 4 hours of work ahead today. Should probaly dial down my liquid intake.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I think this person's parents like Dr Seuss took much.

Penelope Papantonopoulos

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Greek family?
    Buddy of mine knew someone named Poppalipididaios or something like that.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Tell it to Queen Dopplepopoulos

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Curse this booty-ass coffee!
    I drink it to wake up, but it is booty-ass coffee and causes SEVERE INTESTINAL DISTRESS.
    Which is another way to wake up, I guess.

:whistle: The best part of waking up
    Is screaming from your butt
    :whistle:

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular

I love this video. Even though I'm not a design guy, he still has a ton of interesting advice.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I find out how much my raise is today!

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I need to find out if I can put some kind of script together that removes the usage from "???" in any emails I am copied on. It's so god damned obnoxious and annoys the crap out of me.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I need to find some motivation today. If anyone knows where I can get some please share.

• Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    I need to find some motivation today. If anyone knows where I can get some please share.

Sorry. I'm fresh out, and have been for sometime.

t9migZb.jpg
This discussion has been closed.