As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where [Jobs] Grow on Little Jobbies!

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

fuck this stupid CS "Manager" and his ancient, dumb need to staple papers together because documents made of beeps and boops aren't real and a paper copy of something is real

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Goddamn I work with someone who should not be allowed around passengers.

Everyone was boarded so we were standingin the jet bridge shooting the shit with the flight attendants and she started to complain about the passengers and how awful they were while she's just a couple feet from the first class cabin.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

fuck this stupid CS "Manager" and his ancient, dumb need to staple papers together because documents made of beeps and boops aren't real and a paper copy of something is real

If it's good enough for the IRS, it should be good enough for him.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

you're just upset because you have to restock the printer paper afterwards, aren't you dan? :rotate:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Fucking hell this is stuck in my head.

If signing the NDA to protect the customers was so fucking important then why the fuck do they start talking about that now instead of doing it right at the fucking beginning?!?

Burning Organ on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    I need to find some motivation today. If anyone knows where I can get some please share.
    I hear it comes in big sheets or posters? Not sure if you have to eat it or boil it to release motivation particles or what

Wow, reading over a resume for a new dev. Email address contact is one step above DarkNecromancerLordKingWeedToker420@aol.com

Might want to think about getting a more professional email address their duder. I hear you can get them pretty cheap these days.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular

If signing the NDA to protect the customers was so fucking important then why the fuck do they start talking about that now instead of doing it right at the fucking beginning?!?

I would not be signing that fucking thing.

I don't know enough about this stuff, but if you sign that, and they fire you, are you legally not allowed to discuss the nature o the firing with someone, because it would violate the NDA?

I am so mad for you right now.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    NDA just said that it's in effect from here on out, lol.

Elbasunu wrote: »

I would not be signing that fucking thing.

I don't know enough about this stuff, but if you sign that, and they fire you, are you legally not allowed to discuss the nature o the firing with someone, because it would violate the NDA?

I am so mad for you right now.

It depends on the NDA, but I wouldn't think so.

NDAs usually cover the details of what you are working on. I can't tell you that I'm working on a next-gen space shooter for the PS4 called NextGenSpaceShooter, but I can probably say I'm working on a project involving space, or video games.

I don't imagine the reasons for a firing would involve project specific details. Even if it was leaking said details, the reason for firing would be "breach of NDA".

• VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    I got the job at my school!

edited October 2013
    Naphtali wrote: »
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

you're just upset because you have to restock the printer paper afterwards, aren't you dan? :rotate:

I'm upset because the real reason they do it is because they can't fucking do the ONE goddamn job they were hired to do: Input Sales Orders Correctly

They rely on our production and warehouse staff to review the customer's purchase order to make sure the order-entry moron didn't fuck up the order.

It's not their goddamn job to nanny you. Do the fucking job right you mouthbreating ingrates.

Abracadaniel on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    shazkar told me to post here

i'm a community college sophomore (i'll be finishing my AS in comp sci this spring and then i'm already auto-admitted to a four year school to get my bsc in computer science & mathematics starting this coming fall)

i'm trying to get my first internship

man, it is intimidating

i don't feel like i'm especially talented and my resume is anemic and and : (

Organichu wrote: »
    shazkar told me to post here

i'm a community college sophomore (i'll be finishing my AS in comp sci this spring and then i'm already auto-admitted to a four year school to get my bsc in computer science & mathematics starting this coming fall)

i'm trying to get my first internship

man, it is intimidating

i don't feel like i'm especially talented and my resume is anemic and and : (

don't feel too bad, I felt the same way during school. a lot of internships aren't looking for actual interns but already trained workers who just happen to be going back to school at the same time so they can grab a bit of cheap labor. keep an eye out for ones that are looking for low/no experience if you can, or try to learn on the side some of the more common tools/languages that come up. also if you think you can hack an internship but they want some silly amount of previous experience, apply anyways! the worst that will happen is they wont pick you.

if it makes you feel any better, then internship I finally got (during the end of my junior year) ended up turning into a full time job after I graduated.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    The main thing I look for in interns is the ability to shut up, listen and learn. You'd be amazed at how many people can't do that much. If I think you're going to do what we tell you, not screw off and not be a liability (IE, talking about drugs/sex in the workplace), I'm going to recommend we hire you.

Also I may have a slight interest in starting an underground Intern gladiator betting ring, but this is probably why I am not allowed interns.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular

Dude, they're jerking you around. It will always be one more thing before they're willing to discuss pay. I would leave now. Honestly maybe consider bringing a suit against them for the work you've already done, if it's enough money to fight for, since it seems like you went into this with the understanding that you'd be, y'know, paid.

And ordinarily an NDA is not some big shady thing, but this outfit sounds shady, so do not sign and get the hell out.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Man why do reps always want to schedule calls with me when I asked them a simple question that can easily be answered in one sentence or less, by email.

I know, I know to sell me stuff.
    But ugh.

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Got a reply from the place I applied to last week

They are reviewing my application

aaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I got my evaluations back. "Valued Performance" overall. There were only two things I was listed as "Proficient" in instead of having it as a "Strength." Not sure what kind of merit increase I might get, but this should mean I get something in December.

• msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    @msuitepyon

What about this?

Applied. Thanks, @JoeUser!

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    We are missing a piece of equipment for one of the radio stations.

It has been missing for four weeks.

I casually mentioned it to my boss while sending him a report of how the event went (since they had asked, it was a rather different event).

Two minutes later there's an e-mail out to the entire radio staff asking where this piece of equipment is.

The people I work with. They're fucking inept.

No one had reported this missing bit for four weeks.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Sleeping Beauty keeps glancing over at my monitor as if she's waiting for me to make a mistake; little does she know, I've replaced all my mistakes with carefully planned, highly deliberate errors.

Let's see if she notices!

• seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    The people in the front of our office keep propping open the front door "because it's too hot."

We have full control of our thermostats. You can resolve this.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
    seasleepy wrote: »
    The people in the front of our office keep propping open the front door "because it's too hot."

We have full control of our thermostats. You can resolve this.

Born in a barn.

Was just dropped a not-so-subtle hint that I'm getting a raise; going into a meeting with my boss after he finishes up another meeting.

If I do not see the fat stax

I will be displeased.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Was just dropped a not-so-subtle hint that I'm getting a raise; going into a meeting with my boss after he finishes up another meeting.

I will be displeased.

I am honestly baffled as to why you're still there.

The work itself is enjoyable

It's the people

I gripe about the politics but for the most part I'm perceived as unimportant enough by Idiot Son that they don't effect me or my job.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

I will be displeased.

I am honestly baffled as to why you're still there.

So we get the stories.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

It's the people

I gripe about the politics but for the most part I'm perceived as unimportant enough by Idiot Son that they don't effect me or my job.

This is never ever, regardless of who is doing the perceiving, a good thing.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

It's the people

At some point, isn't Idiot Son going to be in charge of the whole kit and kaboodle?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Just kill the idiot son. You need:

An axe.
    A drop sheet.
    A shovel.
    Some lye.

It's the people

At some point, isn't Idiot Son going to be in charge of the whole kit and kaboodle?

oFUHFM9.jpg

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    So, I'm considering dumping my employer's healthcare in favor of buying on the federal exchange. I don't qualify for a subsidy so I'll need to buy at full price, but it might still be advantageous to do so if I can get my employer's contribution given to me as cash instead. I feel like the logic is strong going into a negotiation, because healthcare is part of my compensation package, and I will be asking merely for the compensation to come in a different form (i.e. cash money dollah dollah bill y'all).

What might they come back with besides "lol no"? Is there any solid argument from their side that I might want to be prepared for?

spool32 on
    Struggling to stay motivated, 81 cases done, system is crashing every ten minutes.

I'm gonna go get a snack.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    So, I'm considering dumping my employer's healthcare in favor of buying on the federal exchange. I don't qualify for a subsidy so I'll need to buy at full price, but it might still be advantageous to do so if I can get my employer's contribution given to me as cash instead. I feel like the logic is strong going into a negotiation, because healthcare is part of my compensation package, and I will be asking merely for the compensation to come in a different form (i.e. cash money dollah dollah bill y'all).

What might they come back with besides "lol no"? Is there any solid argument from their side that I might want to be prepared for?

Just gonna put this out there: If your employer negotiated a deal with their insurance provider based on volume, random people leaving the plan and going on their own might make their costs go up.

are you sure what you're going to get is a) more affordable then what your employer is paying now, and b) coverage is the same/similar/better on the exchange and c) is the system going to actually work and let you sign up because it is still a clusterfuck from what I've read

• PeenPeen Registered User regular

Depends on how big your employer is. In my experience the bigger they are, the bigger the wall of bureaucratic NOPE in HR tends to be and the less interested they are in dealing with people as special snowflakes.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Feeling like shit right now since I managed to piss away my last job...

I need something positive and solid in my life and not just some escapism...

newSig.jpg
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I'm coming up on 10 years in my current job. Which I suppose is good in a way. But it's CS work and it's boring and sometimes I want to start fires just to get out of there. And while there are chances for promotion, the next job up is roughly 5 times the work, and 10 times the hassle for a 10% pay rise.

I was 22 when I got this job, and I never thought I'd be here when I was 32. What if I'm here when I'm 42? Or 52? I'm not even sure what else I could do now if I left.

ZD98Zka.png
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Today I am reminded why my original take on being a tech amounts to "testing the human limits of tedium as exercised on one's soul".

Hell Week has begun. @lonelyahava @HellaJeff

This discussion has been closed.