As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Ghosts and Coblyns coming next week!

1939495969799»

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Well I'll just keep pugging it then because I'm a healer so that means nope.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    ZebukielZebukiel Registered User regular
    After the last few weeks, I've decided to start over and switch my main class to a tank. I often hear "we have lots of tanks" etc. well we may have lots of people with "tank" classes.. but the only class that's always being asked for is tank.

so, hopefully doesn't take long to get back to 50. Thankfully I've decided this prior to getting relic+1 but at least once I am 50, I will have the tomes for relic+1 haha

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    To be a bit more clear on healing Titan, if you are taking only two healers they need to be near perfect. An early mistake can be recovered from (as long as a healer doesn't go over the edge). You can get an additional margin of safety by taking three healers, though that has issues as the fight takes longer (and you possibly need to spend time in phase 1 building limit) and there are more opportunities for a lag spike or finger slip to happen.

For the tanks, we have proven that we can heal Warriors during the fight, though I have yet to heal somebody who is a Warrior as their first tank class. Nothing against our Paladin tanks, but it seems very likely that if you don't run as a Warrior most of the time, then you aren't going to be as good at Warrior tanking as somebody that does. I would say that a good benchmark for health for tanks is to be at 5300 in a group for a Paladin, or 6700 in a group as a Warrior. Higher is obviously better, but we can work with those values (and that is approximately equal gear as well). The Warrior will have to actually use their abilities in an intelligent, pro-active way, while the Paladin can mostly stand there and do whatever.

As far as groups willing to do Titan, if you can beat turn 1 in Bahamut's Coil, there is no reason you wouldn't be able to beat Titan consistently. Probably the deciding factor is simple experience; at this point we have people who have quite literally done the fight more than 100 times. It is to be expected that somebody that has the right gear, but has only done the fight <10 times, will have more trouble with it. There are nuances, like where to stand during the bomb segments at different parts of the fight (a lot of people don't do this right even after 20+ runs), when to start moving to ensure you avoid plumes while not killing a teammate, when to put down Scholar bubbles for stomps, when to take a res if necessary. For White Mages in particular, it is important to know when the big stomps happen (after the mountain buster following the landslide during the gaol) and when to be ready to move out of plumes (~3 seconds after the mountain buster following the landslide during the bombs or just after the big stomps finish).

Uhm, I rambled a bit. The point being, if we can have 5 or 6 groups going into Bahamut's Coil, we should be able to have that many Titan groups (depending on schedules of course). Titan is a very predictable fight with well-defined patterns, it is simply a matter of time putting in the effort to learn it. It took me quite a long time (and a visit from the cable company to fix my internet) to get it to the point where I can consistently get through with no (or survivable) errors.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    I think maybe with the tank bit it might be the geared coil people saying that they're tons of tanks, but that's prolly in ratio to the size of the people in coil groups. Like off the top of my head I can think of about 7ish main tanks and maybe 3 or 4 people with a tank second class. In terms of, i'm guessing here, the population of full DL coil people i'm thinking is like 40 or 50 that is a lot of tanks, but when compared to the rest of the guild pop that is a small amount of full geared tanks.

I kind of talk with the tanks when I want to run something and halfway schedule out a time block with them 30mins to an hour ahead of when I want to do a run with them, buuuut that's me I like ironing things out like that.

FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    So, the fix to prevent speedruns was to move mobs so they're in the way now. So much for the whole "reason means they'll make the mobs worth something" thing that was all over gamefaqs and neogaf.
    Enemies in the following duties will now drop gil.
    The Wanderer's Palace
    Amdapor Keep
    Castrum Meridianum
    The Praetorium

You are incorrect sir. They have added a reason to kill the trash mobs in the form of a gil incentive. They have also changed the mechanics and positioning of some mobs in CM and WP, but the incentive change was to all the high level dungeons.

Also holy shit that DoT change and Pet change are going to be MASSIVE. I'm so excited for those on my SMN!

DoT Change? Oh, the "showing your DoTs to the far left" thing? That is nice. I haven't had much reason (or ability, playing with a wired 360 controller) to move my pets around during combat, so I have no real input there...

As for the gil drop thing, well, no, a paltry amount of gil isn't really what I would call a reason to specifically fight those mobs, especially not when "They'll drop equivalent Pink Gear" and "They'll drop tomes" was being tossed around by some people on GameFAQs and the official forums.

No, it pretty much worked out the exact way I thought it would -- they moved the mobs in such a way that speedruns are no longer a thing. The token amount of gil is just a bonus (and one I expect to be nerfed a bit, 3k-4k a run is a bit high).

Same thing with Dark Desires - anyone not realizing they were going to nerf a FATE that literally would shit out 50% of a level at 49 was completely delusional. Yes, it wasn't an exploit (as in, people weren't cheating to the point that they could be banned for doing it) but they clearly didn't intend for us to do that, so they removed it. I'm just glad they didn't remove xp from FATE mobs, that was the obvious solution to me, and, well, that would have sucked.

All told, I for one am happy with this patch. Except... No fucking right-click and blacklist or report RMT? What the fuck, Square Enix? Are you guys getting kickbacks from China or something?

So it's both a "paltry amount of gil" and too much per run?

Interesting that you want them to nerf this "paltry amount of gil". Seems to me that the amount of gil per run is a pretty damned good incentive to kill the trash and not skip it, even you seem to think it's too much and you want it to be nerfed.

So yeah it's an incentive, or again a reason to kill the trash, despite your insistence otherwise. And it was applied to all the high level dungeons, not just CM and WP which were the only ones that had mobs moved (unless you are thinking that WP speedruns were a problem that needed to be fixed :D ), which means it was more about the incentive than the blocking of speedruns.

As for the wishful thinking on this forums and other forums about what should be dropped? Yeah that was never going to happen. Would be nice but it was never more than wishful thinking.

3000 gil per dungeon is a damned good incentive to not skip trash.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    90kd right after I hit 50 mining....

Overflow error. You are now level 1.
    A job so nice you get to level it twice. :)

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    am0n wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    90kd right after I hit 50 mining....

Overflow error. You are now level 1.
    A job so nice you get to level it twice. :)

I just shuddered in fear

FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Miniwolf wrote: »
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Awww man!

They are making AK, which I don't like, a better option to run at end game than CM, which I do like.

Hehe, you will not be saying that when you've seen the inside of CM 80+ times.

I've only run CM once and I can't say I'm a huge fan.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I don't personally think it is a good incentive because A money doesn't make trash fun and B given thousands of runs every week inflation could eventually be a real risk.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Although I'll admit inflation isn't going to be a thing on the average runners mind

This discussion has been closed.