As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WHAT JAMIE ASKS FOR...

World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious peopleRegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in Social Entropy++
jamie gets. FASHION THREAD!

this is the laziest OP so far but listen, I really need to find these pants on the left, help me rhonda

ameilee_htw.jpg

I'm gonna take them to paris and propose in front of the eiffel tower and you're all invited
Vivixenne wrote: »
BOWTIE_2569023b.jpg

This is a thread about your A-Game, SE++. No, not your game-playing A-Game. Your fashion A-Game. Let's talk formalwear and dressing to the absolute fanciest you can manage. It is a confusing topic for heaps of folks purely because it seems there's an arbitrary line dividing what's formal for THESE occasions, what's formal for THOSE occasions, and what's just not formal at all. In some cultures it's your national dress that is the most formal you can get!
outfit-fullplaid.jpg

Then there's business formal versus evening wear. White tie versus black tie. Something called morning dress. And the language around it is not just inconsistent at times, but is always changing. Black tie is nowadays used to indicate when something is pretty super formal. It used to refer to a step down from the super-ultra formal attire white tie. Way to be racist, formalwear.

And let's not get started on what "business casual" or "semiformal" really mean, because there seems to be as many interpretations of those as there are venues in which you can HAVE a "business casual" or "semiformal" event.

In some respects men's formalwear (at least in the West) is way more convoluted than women's. Lots of more rules, I think, in terms of when and where to wear what and why. There are specific requirements, not just in the style of a jacket (waistcoat, tails, etc) but also in how it fit and where everything sat and how it was put on and tied and fastened. Insane. Watching Downton Abbey, therefore, is fascinating to me. These people change into formalwear JUST TO GO DOWNSTAIRS FOR DINNER. (Yes, most of my interest in this area is informed in no small part by Downton Abbey.)

For Western ladies, it was really all about the ankles. Formalwear consisted of a gown that covered your ankles, and anything that showed them was considered scandalous or casual. Gloves were expected.

Nowadays, of course, the lines have blurred significantly now that there aren't the same expectations. You're lucky if you know what's appropriate to wear to a given party or get-together. "Formal" is anything from a full-blown ball gown to a prom dress to a cocktail number to an Oscars red-carpet ensemble. Certain accessories - blazers, jewelry, bags, shoes, belts, pocket squares, ties - can make the whole outfit less or more formal depending on hwo you wear it!

I always stress about whether or not I'll be over- or under-dressed, and I freak out if I don't feel like I've dressed appropriately for the venue. I also really, really miss wearing national dress, because it felt like some very important cultural undertones going into it, and this was for both Chinese and Filipino traditional dress. And you looked so FANCY! There's a part of me that wishes I could get invited to an Indian wedding just so that I can witness being in the middle of all the beautiful colors and what the components are all meant to signify or represent.
Indian-Bridal-1.jpg

In this thread, let us discuss our interpretations of modern formalwear. Whether it's a gown, cocktail dress, three-piece suit, pantsuit, tuxedo, show us it. Need to fix up your hair or do your make-up for the occasion but not sure how? Not sure if something is too formal or not formal enough? Need to buy a suit or gown or other get-up for an event but don't know where to start? We have plenty of folks here who are well-versed in that sort of thing, so do post any questions!

kQwcZLJ.png
World as Myth on

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I'm wearing pants today

fashion

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I need some new clothes.

Who wants to play pretty pretty dress up with me at a store?

Alternatively: If there's something you think I would look good in, I would go to a store and try it on and take a picture. I am lazy.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I bought some socks today
    They're in the wash so I can't show you right now but they have little dinosaurs on them

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    I need some new clothes.

I do.

Come to Chico, we have a huge forever 21.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    damn your cute clothing

cute is so passe

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    I need clothes.
    A ton of my stuff is now big on me because I lost ~20lbs.
    I also need some very comfortable (I walk ~4 miles a day) shoes that look good and won't disintegrate after like a month. And that's...impossible.

I hate shopping though.
    This is difficult.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    cute is out

brut is in

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    butte is in

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm gonna take them to paris and propose in front of the eiffel tower and you're all invited
    You...really love those pants.

YL9WnCY.png
    pariacanyon.jpg

check out these buttes

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    YAY!

I got contacts today which was a very fashion driven choice.

Also I am tired of not having longish hair on top and I won't be shaving it all off again once it grows back.

When I was posting a lot about buying levi's and then bought some? Best choice.

I need more shoes though. Like 4 more pairs easy.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I need some new clothes.

Only if you're buying

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    DUBH NEVER GETS WHAT SHE WANTS

Miss me? Find me on:

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Who's Jamie

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    WAM those are sweatpants

just

just go to wallmart they're like six bucks

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I bought some socks today
    They're in the wash so I can't show you right now but they have little dinosaurs on them

Here's what you're going to do

You're going to get up from your computer and walk to your washing machine and OPEN THAT FUCKER UP, use a hammer if you have to because I'm damned if I'm waiting for you to work out where the Emergency Stop button is, and then you're going to take a god damn picture of those god damn socks.

i hate uncle jaime

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    TheStig wrote: »
    I need some new clothes.

I do.

Come to Chico, we have a huge forever 21.

Not to like, make money a thing here.

But based on what Aphostile usually posts re:Fashion he can afford the version of Forever 21 that holds up past a wash or two.

I mean I love the place, but I would trust their clothes to hold up after a weekend of clubbing. Much less a staple in the wardrobe.

Sturdiness and longevity are becoming huge factors in my purchases, and it's really changing the budget

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So I wore this outfit for my 25th birthday.

1380473_10151981944371095_1230823331_n.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    wait, I lied

I TOTALLY got what I wanted

Miss me? Find me on:

zonugal teach me the ways of being a living breathing jolly rancher

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    leather jogging pants

• World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    #pipe wrote: »
    WAM those are sweatpants

just

NO THEY'RE CUTER THAN SWEATPANTS

look at those
    contrast pockets

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    whoa that's not italics

kQwcZLJ.png
    what the hell is that post,

wam stop coding the forums...

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    zonugal teach me the ways of being a living breathing jolly rancher

Step One: Leave Shame Behind.

Step Two: Leave Regret Behind.

Step Three: Drive to GoodWill.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    WAM those are sweatpants

just

NO THEY'RE CUTER THAN SWEATPANTS

look at those
    contrast pockets

draw on the pockets with sharpie DONE

I like the idea that I go full robit when it comes to pocket detail

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    waaaaa

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I need some new clothes.

Only if you're buying

I mean, I'm buying for myself! I never really know what looks that good on me so I just pick stuff that fits most of the time.

Every time I've gotten a suit I just stand there and go "Does this look good?" to the various people working there.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Every time someone writes WAM in a post I hear it in my head as "WHAM!" and it seems really aggressive.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I'm wearing a fluro orange shirt today. The exact same type as the one I wore yesterday and the day before that. I might mix it up and wear an olive one tomorrow though!!

I just had a realisation that I have not bought a single piece of new clothing outside of socks and jocks in the last 18 months, at least

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    smof wrote: »
    Every time someone writes WAM in a post I hear it in my head as "WHAM!" and it seems really aggressive.

i just hear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A

Q1e6oi8.gif
    Dubh wrote: »
    I need some new clothes.

Only if you're buying

I mean, I'm buying for myself! I never really know what looks that good on me so I just pick stuff that fits most of the time.

Every time I've gotten a suit I just stand there and go "Does this look good?" to the various people working there.

pfffffffffffffffffffffft

seriously, though

Becca can help you out

she's got mad fashion snobbishness sense

Miss me? Find me on:

i just hear

The 80's phoned

They said we can keep that, actually, they don't want it back

i just hear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7XLyDtwEHE

i just hear

The 80's phoned

They said we can keep that, actually, they don't want it back

were they calling from their car???

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    butte is in

I can't agree twice so this post will have to suffice

Darmak on