As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BSG:BG] Daybreak Game 1 - Game Over

• CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I can help, cause I'm the 'Doc. I thought secrecy rules prevented explicitly stating what is in your hand? We seem to be pretty candid about what we have this game. I'm never this specific in BSG games with friends.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    When it's a common card like SP or Launch Scout, I think it's ok to say you have it for use in the near or immediate future. I think we've been over the line with one-ofs like SoE and Scout for Fuel, however.

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    And it's also only kosher if you don't say what value you have. You could always be sorta vague, saying something like "I can help with this roll", but if you don't draw engineering (or draw engineering but no tactics), it makes it pretty explicit what you have anyway.

Anyway... Using PP because even if it's not guaranteed we'll jump this turn, I think it's worth the risk in case we do. And because if we don't jump, we'll probably be dead soon and it won't matter.

Movement: Play Politics 4 - Preventative Policy, naming Fuel. Action: Play Tactics 1 - Launch Scout, targeting the Crisis Deck. Pause for interrupts.

• KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    All the 6 cards of each deck are, unfortunately, unique. Humans need to discuss cards for options, which can give their hand away. Discussing the strength 6 cards also reveals what color/strength card you have. This is debatable, but I side on the 'ok to discuss side'.

I think the card secrecy rules were mostly designed to prevent easy Cylon detection. That is the stated goal of the secrecy rules in core rulebook, as well as the clarifications in the FAQ. For that reason - I think the only time we really broke ranks was in the Mission skill check when Phobos said he didn't play SoE into the check before it was revealed. That was breaking the point of the rules, I think.

Discussing turn tactics doesn't help humans detect Cylons, at least not in any mechanical way. Unique STR6 cards are a problem, because once you declare you have it, you can be pressured/discussed into contributing it into a skill check, but like I said, I side on the 'ok to discuss' side. As long as you don't declare the play into skill checks, or ID cards afterwards.

Edit: close second of secrecy rules is resource management during skill checks, so discussing playing in is out. Discussing posibility = 'ok'; declaring play = 'not ok'.

Kaneski on
    Play Tactics 3 - Strategic Planning

Dancing Bagel
    I guess we need to roll in case we roll a 1 and Doc is a Cylon and plays Calculations or something? Just in case, I guess:

Geth, roll 1d8 for Launch Scout

Launch Scout:
    1d8 7 [1d8=7]

Huzzah, perhaps death shall not come quite so swiftly. C'mon, Racetrack, tell me something good.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Kaneski wrote: »
    All the 6 cards of each deck are, unfortunately, unique. Humans need to discuss cards for options, which can give their hand away. Discussing the strength 6 cards also reveals what color/strength card you have. This is debatable, but I side on the 'ok to discuss side'.

I think the card secrecy rules were mostly designed to prevent easy Cylon detection. That is the stated goal of the secrecy rules in core rulebook, as well as the clarifications in the FAQ. For that reason - I think the only time we really broke ranks was in the Mission skill check when Phobos said he didn't play SoE into the check before it was revealed. That was breaking the point of the rules, I think.

Discussing turn tactics doesn't help humans detect Cylons, at least not in any mechanical way. Unique STR6 cards are a problem, because once you declare you have it, you can be pressured/discussed into contributing it into a skill check, but like I said, I side on the 'ok to discuss' side. As long as you don't declare the play into skill checks, or ID cards afterwards.

Edit: close second of secrecy rules is resource management during skill checks, so discussing playing in is out. Discussing posibility = 'ok'; declaring play = 'not ok'.

I think a large part of it is hiding cylons in skill checks, also to prevent you from getting the effect of IC without actually playing it

I'm not a religious man, but if I were, I'd say the Lords of Kobol were with our scouts this day.

As a filthy apostate, I'll just say we're pretty frakkin lucky.

• TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Bonus prep?

I'm going to go ahead and guess that Crisis goes on top...

edited October 2013
    Tenek wrote: »
    Bonus prep?

Nah, not that good. Just about everything else we needed, though.

blahmcblah on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Turn 30: Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah)

Movement Step: blahmcblah plays Politics 4 - Preventative Policy, naming Fuel as the protected resource.
    Action Step: blahmcblah plays Tactics 1 - Launch Scout, targeting the Crisis deck. Sherman "Doc" Cottle (Cutfang) plays Tactics 3 - Strategic Planning to aid the roll. blahmcblah looks at the top card of the Crisis deck and replaces it on top.

President Lampkin prepares the fleet for a chance to jump away from the Cylon assault, but the stress of the job is getting to him. He looks to medicine and drugs to calm his nerves, but there may be consequences...

Crisis Step: One Last Cocktail

Current player Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) must choose:
    A) Skill Check [7] Tactics + Engineering
    Pass: No effect.
    Fail: -1 food, -1 morale.
    OR
    B) Roll a die. On a 6 or lower, -1 morale and the President is sent to "Sickbay."

After Crisis: Activate Basestars, Advance Jump Preparation

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    I guess we need to roll in case we roll a 1 and Doc is a Cylon and plays Calculations or something? Just in case, I guess:

Me? Cylon? After I got you that Demetrius mission. Tsk.

Dancing Bagel
    Hn. Another SP for the die roll?

And yes, that's perfect.. saves the civvie, even.

edited October 2013
    Cutfang wrote: »
    blahmcblah wrote: »

Me? Cylon? After I got you that Demetrius mission. Tsk.

Heh, I was sure you weren't, just wanted to make the play official.

blahmcblah on
    Um, as for this choice... We might be better off taking the roll, unless Doc thinks he can pass it with Engineering cards. We don't want to risk losing to The Farm or some other food-eating trash.

Agreed. We'll be ok at 3 morale and Romo.. might not get another turn anyways.

Best possible Cylon ship activation was either Basestars or Launch Raiders. Activate Raiders would've been shitty, and Heavy Raiders disastrous.

Tenek: do you think this roll is worth an SP?

Tough call. We just traded 1 morale for 8 (ish) cards, and we spent what, 10? to protect the other one. So 25% means it's a decent deal at that rate. But... the only morale that really matters is the last one. I'm tempted to say yes, because at some point we're probably going to want to XO Cottle to move a repair card around and that amounts to drawing 4 cards. Baltar doesn't have a super crisis and is probably not inclined to hit up Caprica anyways so we're not likely to have any more skill checks before my crisis.

Hah, don't rely on me. I say take the roll.

Dancing Bagel
    This is going to be a close game...

They call you Lady Luck / But there is room for doubt...

Alrighty then, Option B. Pause for interrupts.

nothing

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Woulda used it on the nuke. nada.

Meh, I'll just do it myself. Probably better in case I'm forced to discard my hand again. Play Tactics 3 - Strategic Planning

Geth, roll 1d8 + 2 for No hangovers, no hangovers, no hangovers, STOP!

1d8 8 [1d8=8]

Woohoo!

Just for reference, @MrBlarney - we're ok with the Geth rolls?

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    So, of the 20 crisis cards out so far, 14 have jump prep and 6 don't. And one of the 6 is legendary discovery...

Er, big money, no hangovers. Old game show reference fail.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    That's roughly in line with the probabilities. 2/3rds have jump prep, 1/3rd do not.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Turn 30: Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah)

Crisis Step: One Last Cocktail

Current player Romo Lampkin (blahmcblah) must choose:
    A) Skill Check [7] Tactics + Engineering
    Pass: No effect.
    Fail: -1 food, -1 morale.
    OR
    B) Roll a die. On a 6 or lower, -1 morale and the President is sent to "Sickbay."

blahmcblah selects option B and plays Tactics 3 - Strategic Planning to aid the roll. The roll is a success, no resources lost.

President Lampkin manages to calm his nerves without severe repercussions.

After Crisis: Fore (9 o'clock) Basestar activates, missing. Jump Preparation advances to Level 6 - Fleet jumps automatically. Professor Phobos draws the top two cards of the Destination deck and will select one to resolve.

Geth roll 1d8 for Activate Basestars

Activate Basestars:
    1d8 2 [1d8=2]

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Ha. That almost makes up for the 15% chance of losing that viper to 3 attacks.

Haha, amazing

Eh. Well at this point, we'd just trash Pegasus anyways.